Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

I bought some chalk this morning. Gonna be a good day at the gym?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
Brothers, 3 months ago I was a 168 lb stick who had never deadlifted before. This morning I weighed in at 195 and easily pulled 3 plates in a 1,2,3x3 ladder. Far from swole but it feels real good.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
How tall and/or fat are you that 195 isn't swole?

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
I'm 5'8 and 210. Looking to pull 455 next week. I'm pretty sure I'm 90% fat by weight.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

I'm 3'8 558lb of pure agony

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007

sassassin posted:

How tall and/or fat are you that 195 isn't swole?

6'2, I'm definitely bigger but still the smallest/weakest guy at my gym by a fair margin.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Fartbox posted:

i was super excited because ive always wanted to hook up with a fellow gymbro girl... but the sex was shiiiiiit

gently caress

I once had sex with a bodybuilding lady with huge muscles

She was terrible at it, it was insanely bad

She turned out to be gay

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

I once had sex with a bodybuilding lady with huge muscles

She was terrible at it, it was insanely bad

She turned out to be gay

That's a mirror.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

sassassin posted:

That's a mirror.

No he said she had huge muscles.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

bamhand posted:

Savage.

bug chaser chaser
Dec 11, 2006

bamhand posted:

wew

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

You jerks :smugjones:

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

bamhand posted:

:discourse:

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

Knight posted:

IMHO, it's hard to predict a 1RM using a weight you can lift more than 5x. Even though everyone really gets off on the bragging rights on extra reps they can do in 5/3/1, I would just bump your training max next week instead of getting 12 reps on what is meant to be 3+.

Nah. Unless I was lied to in the 5/3/1 thread, you generally are supposed to start light and getting a lot of reps the first cycle is normal. And Wendler is supposedly anal about not bumping training maxes more than 5/10 for upper and lower body. Even if I did, wouldn't it be better to do the first cycle, then just bump it an extra 5 lbs? Perhaps with my hours I work it's best I stay in sub maximal weights for a while anyway. For all I know I might get crazy good gains anyway so I'll see where this first cycle takes me.

Did deadlifts today, I set my TM at 200 which is pretty light even taking the fact you should go light into account, but with my knee being my only acute injury it's probably for the best. 170 was my amrap set, I did 10 and cut it off there because it's probably a bad idea to deadlift for the first time in a year and attempt a 20 rep set. My form wasn't too bad looking considering though and my knee felt good so I'm feeling happy with it so far.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Wendler says to start low/conservative because that way you take longer to realise his program is bogus.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

sassassin posted:

Wendler says to start low/conservative because that way you take longer to realise his program is bogus.
He says to start low/conservative because most people will start with a higher max than their actual 1rm and will be lifting weights that are too heavy.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Jun 24, 2017

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Khorne posted:

He says to start low/conservative because most people will start with a higher max than their actual 1rm and will be lifting weights that are too heavy.

Which doesn't apply to the beginner/intermediate lifters who end up wasting two months on 10+ rep sets, because their 1rms aren't fixed like those of "most people" Big Jim knows irl.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Wendler kind of addressed that in Beyond with 5's Pro and Jokers. But that just turns 531 into a Starr style ascending 5x5.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

sassassin posted:

Which doesn't apply to the beginner/intermediate lifters who end up wasting two months on 10+ rep sets, because their 1rms aren't fixed like those of "most people" Big Jim knows irl.
Don't use a strict max if you haven't even been lifting for 2-3 months? You shouldn't be getting more than an extra rep or 3 on amrap sets in most programs. If you're getting a wild increase in reps on amraps then up your training max. I don't know what to say, that critique applies to pretty much every program in existence that uses percentages of 1rm. And it's not like RPE or other forms of autoregulation are better for beginners either, because they don't know how to gauge that.

I know that you personally don't have this problem. I also don't like 5/3/1, but I was still thinking of maybe running it because my schedule is tight as hell with work right now. I'd also consider 5/3/1 a beginner/intermediate program. Its progression starts to fall apart for advanced lifters.

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

I've been doing 531 for a few months and saw some p nice gains. Thanks for listening

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.
I want to stop cutting but I'm also beginning to get lat and serratus veins when resting, and the quad veins are out of control when pumped. How lean is too lean?

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017

Defiant Sally posted:

I want to stop cutting but I'm also beginning to get lat and serratus veins when resting, and the quad veins are out of control when pumped. How lean is too lean?

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

I can only assume that man died after taking the photo as his paper like skin ruptured.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
I'm finishing off a cut, but yesterday was my brother's birthday and I ate everything in sight. I weigh 2.5kg more this morning lol welp. Mostly water I'm sure, but probably added a week to my cut now.

Worth it.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017

I finished my cut months ago and it's summer so i dont want to bulk yet (want to look good wtihout a shirt :grin:) and it feels strange to just eat at maintenance. Feels like I'm not moving in any one direction and just treading water :negative:

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Fartbox posted:

I finished my cut months ago and it's summer so i dont want to bulk yet (want to look good wtihout a shirt :grin:) and it feels strange to just eat at maintenance. Feels like I'm not moving in any one direction and just treading water :negative:

I suck at bulking, always worried about getting fat again so I tread water anyway and always end up fluctuating between 65 and 69kg. :newlol:

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017

That's pretty light, how tall are you

Are you a manlet like me

we could be manlet-bros

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Fartbox posted:

That's pretty light, how tall are you

Are you a manlet like me

we could be manlet-bros

I'm 5'9" and doomed to perpetual manlet-ness. Let's be manlet-bros :unsmith:

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017

Hey 5'9 buddy. Though I weigh 75kg at the moment :stare:

I'm either really fat or really swole hmm

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Fartbox posted:

You're definitely swoler than me. :)

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Khorne posted:

Don't use a strict max if you haven't even been lifting for 2-3 months? You shouldn't be getting more than an extra rep or 3 on amrap sets in most programs. If you're getting a wild increase in reps on amraps then up your training max.

Wendler says not to do that. Did you just not read the discussion you were responding to, you

meathead

???

Khorne
May 1, 2002

sassassin posted:

Wendler says not to do that. Did you just not read the discussion you were responding to, you

meathead

???
I read it, but gently caress what wendler says if you're getting an insane number of extra reps.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Khorne posted:

I read it, but gently caress what wendler says if you're getting an insane number of extra reps.

That was the title of my dissertation.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I want to get down to 69 again

I would have to get super shredded or lose a limb, though

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Finishing my dunno-wtf-I'm-doing cut this week

I saw 160.0 as the low water mark this wkend, that's the least I've ever weighed as an adult, like by 15 lbs or so :stare:

Now into the no-sodium phase to round it off, get rid of the last bit of water-weight flab I can (still no abs, dammit)

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I calculated some of the numbers and I think I could easily bump my training max on Bench to 160 and OHP to 90. Even the singles on the next 3 cycles I could easily hit for more than 1 rep right now

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017

sassassin posted:

I want to get down to 69 again

I would have to get super shredded or lose a limb, though

You too, a fellow manlet?

Are we all manlets in here

I'm so happy to be around fellow height-challeneged folk

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I oly lift so I can wear heels.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

Fartbox posted:

You guys should try eating food while lifting weights so you no longer weigh as much as a high school freshman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
America's obesity epidemic is a tragedy.