Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Elyv posted:

oath was a bad set with some good cards, all but one of which had diamonds in their mana cost

---

code:
"Rebuilding Khenra"
1G
Creature - Jackal Wizard
When this creature enters the battlefield, you may give target creature +X/+X until end of turn, where X is Rebuilding Khenra's power.

Eternalize 4GG
2/2

This seems really strong.

Looks like Jackal dudes are the value-town tribe of this set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Elyv posted:

On an unrelated note, I want to say that I dislike how demons are giant dudes with an eeeeevil ability, instead of giant dudes who could potentially have a drawback. It doesn't even need to be something like Lord of the Pit, I just want there to be scenarios where your deal with the devil backfires. Don't want to draw a card and lose a life whenever something dies because you're already at 1? Well, maybe you shouldn't have cast that Kothophed. Can't cast your demon of dark schemes because it wipes the board? Oh I'm sorry. Cards like Griselbrand, Herald of Anguish, and this new dude I'm not even going to try to spell annoy me a bit (obviously, Griselbrand is annoying for other reasons too)

They probably don't do this because when they do it sucks and no one wants to play it:

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Mikujin posted:

They probably don't do this because when they do it sucks and no one wants to play it:

In that case the card is really built around the drawback. There's a reason I mentioned Demon of Dark Schemes; it barely has a drawback, but at least there's a semi-realistic scenario where you wouldn't want to make your deal with the devil.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Mikujin posted:

This seems like the kind of effect that would go hilariously wrong in MTGO randomly

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Elyv posted:

In that case the card is really built around the drawback. There's a reason I mentioned Demon of Dark Schemes; it barely has a drawback, but at least there's a semi-realistic scenario where you wouldn't want to make your deal with the devil.
The problem with drawback cards is that, typically, if the drawback is noticeable or able to occur with any degree of frequency the card sees zero play or hype. No one wants to open a Treacherous Pit-Dweller or equivalent, and no one is excited to play it regardless of how thematically fitting it is. This is especially problematic when you start dealing with creature types that are considered iconic - like Angels, Demons, Dragons. Everyone excepts them to be powerful or cool and not just poo poo that makes your life miserable to play with.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Mikujin posted:

The problem with drawback cards is that, typically, if the drawback is noticeable or able to occur with any degree of frequency the card sees zero play or hype. No one wants to open a Treacherous Pit-Dweller or equivalent, and no one is excited to play it regardless of how thematically fitting it is. This is especially problematic when you start dealing with creature types that are considered iconic - like Angels, Demons, Dragons. Everyone excepts them to be powerful or cool and not just poo poo that makes your life miserable to play with.

There are ways of weaving that into a powerful effect. Perfect example: Bob.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Rinkles posted:

There are ways of weaving that into a powerful effect. Perfect example: Bob.
What I was getting at is the cost/benefit analysis of the card itself. There's virtually no drawback to playing Bob (if memory serves the math on Bob in a traditional deck list, for example, was that it costs something on the order of 0.7 life per turn). Similarly, there's virtually no drawback on cards like Griselbrand or Bloodgift demon (even though it's there).

Cards like Treacherous Pit-Dweller employ punisher mechanics rather than drawbacks you can mitigate in deck design. Punisher mechanics are never good or fun so they really hit that "not even casuals want to play this card" sweet spot.

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011
That GGX card enables some crazy grinding with eternal witness. It's really slow though.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Mikujin posted:

What I was getting at is the cost/benefit analysis of the card itself. There's virtually no drawback to playing Bob (if memory serves the math on Bob in a traditional deck list, for example, was that it costs something on the order of 0.7 life per turn). Similarly, there's virtually no drawback on cards like Griselbrand or Bloodgift demon (even though it's there).

Cards like Treacherous Pit-Dweller employ punisher mechanics rather than drawbacks you can mitigate in deck design. Punisher mechanics are never good or fun so they really hit that "not even casuals want to play this card" sweet spot.

Speaking purely for myself, I don't really care how token the drawback is as long as it exists; again, Demon of Dark Schemes barely has a drawback. I realize that most people don't care, though, and it's not like some sort of huge deal to me.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Creatures having interesting drawbacks is just like anything else: if you properly design the environments for them (and then properly design the card itself, of course), people will want to play them; if you don't, then no poo poo they won't be hyped or played.

Throughout Magic's history, cards with what I'm sure we would today consider disqualifying drawbacks have been played, and not in an Ironclaw Orcs-style "well there's nothing better in this color so I guess" way, but in a "this is a genuinely powerful dude in this context and I am excited/happy to play it" way.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
Hell we even somewhat recently had a demon with a drawback see constructed play. And that demon was desecration demon.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Razaketh is not only horrible, it's one of the dumbest designs in recent memory - who the gently caress is playing a deck full of sac-cable creatures plus an 8 drop.

It's a stupid EDH design that doesn't enable anything but the kind of bullshit that happens with repeatable tutors.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jun 22, 2017

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I had to reread that card (desecration) the first time I saw it to make sure I understood the drawback.

Same as the Theros dragon, I couldn't wrap my mind around creatures this powerful.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jun 22, 2017

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011

Angry Grimace posted:

Razaketh is not only horrible, it's one of the dumbest designs in recent memory - who the gently caress is playing a deck full of sac-cable creatures plus an 8 drop.

There was a cryptolith rite deck in SOI standard that played Dragonlord Atarka

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

uninverted posted:

There was a cryptolith rite deck in SOI standard that played Dragonlord Atarka

Dragonlord Atarka is orders of magnitude better than Razaketh.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Elyv posted:

paincaster, what a name

the paincast is the name of my s and m podcast

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Elyv posted:

paincaster, what a name

Newbie question. Let's say your opponent is attacking with a glorybringer. Can I defend with this card then exert it to cause the one extra damage so the glorybringer dies as well? I feel like on streams I have seen people activate card abilities as they are about to die / be exiled but I am not quite sure which abilities can and can't be used like that.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Tainen posted:

Newbie question. Let's say your opponent is attacking with a glorybringer. Can I defend with this card then exert it to cause the one extra damage so the glorybringer dies as well? I feel like on streams I have seen people activate card abilities as they are about to die / be exiled but I am not quite sure which abilities can and can't be used like that.

Yes and no. Activating abilities after blocks are declared works like you want it to, but Fervent Paincaster can't block Glorybringer in the first place because Glorybringer has flying.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Attorney at Funk posted:

Yes and no. Activating abilities after blocks are declared works like you want it to, but Fervent Paincaster can't block Glorybringer in the first place because Glorybringer has flying.

Oops! It was the only 4 toughness creature I could think of by name and forgot it was flying.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

Star Man posted:

You remember how Moses spoke to Ramses in The Ten Commandments or in The Prince of Egypt and threw his staff to the ground and it turned into a snake?

It's just like that scene in Ten commandments where Moses fights a giant scorpion headed monster and gets stung in the head and dies.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

I like this card.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

This will hopefully see standard play, but who knows

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011
Could T1 mana creature, T2 counter your fetchland be a real thing in modern?

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Yeah this is cool

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

this card is kind of sweet in modern Mono G stompy, assuming you're not on 4x Aspect of Hydra

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

uninverted posted:

Could T1 mana creature, T2 counter your fetchland be a real thing in modern?

Shadow of Doubt does the same thing with less work and that effect has only seen rare play in Modern.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

Attorney at Funk posted:

Shadow of Doubt does the same thing with less work and that effect has only seen rare play in Modern.

Shadow of Doubt doesn't have a flying creature mode as a generic backup.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

I think Shadow saw play in a few sideboards for awhile, but the effect (in modern at least) wasn't really terrible in demand.

Typhus733
Aug 30, 2008

Attorney at Funk posted:

Shadow of Doubt cantrips while stifling, this stifles while leaving a 3/1 flyer. While there is overlap, this is definitely a different card. It's not bonkers but it seems good enough to warrant at least trying out.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Typhus733 posted:

Shadow of Doubt cantrips while stifling, this stifles while leaving a 3/1 flyer. While there is overlap, this is definitely a different card. It's not bonkers but it seems good enough to warrant at least trying out.

No, this cycles while stifling or gives you a 3/1 flier.

Cactrot fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jun 22, 2017

goth smoking cloves
Feb 28, 2011

Typhus733 posted:

Shadow of Doubt cantrips while stifling, this stifles while leaving a 3/1 flyer.

Please re-read the card.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Typhus733 posted:

Not it doesn't. You either get the bird or you cycle for Stifle. You don't get both.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I do if my opponent isn't really paying attention.

Necronomicon
Jan 18, 2004

Star Man posted:

Not it doesn't. You either get the bird or you cycle for Stifle. You don't get both.

Either way I want to jam a bunch into U/R control. Card looks super cool

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.
Gonna shoot down your fetch with a StifleCycle drive-by

Vroom vroom *peels out*

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.

I don't see this seeing standard play; Griselbrand was unfathomably stronger and still only was playable in Standard due to the presence of an incredible reanimation spell, and the cost for the tutor means you aren't even drawing cards off of it. EDH fodder due to the power of repeatable tutors, but that's about it.

I am also disappointed that you can't even sacrifice it to itself for the tutor effect if needed.

EDIT: And yeah, that is horrid flavor text.

the Orb of Zot fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jun 22, 2017

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Typhus733 posted:

It only counters abilities if you cycle, not if you play the card. The card is basically a split card where it's 2U: counter target activated or triggered ability, draw a card // 2U: 3/1 flier you can flash out.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

the Orb of Zot posted:

I don't see this seeing standard play; Griselbrand was unfathomably stronger and still only was playable in Standard due to the presence of an incredible reanimation spell, and the cost for the tutor means you aren't even drawing cards off of it.

I am also disappointed that you can't even sacrifice it to itself for the tutor effect if needed.

It's an EDH card

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Also I, for one, am finally glad we have a decent card against aetherworks Marvel in standard with this stifle bird