Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
It would be hilarious if Nancy was like sure here is my replacement minority leader Joe Biden

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Trabisnikof posted:

None of those talking points are wrong. The AHCA is a bigger deal than trying to unseat Pelosi right now.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

If Obama (or anyone really) got up and said "Republicans are evil and conservatism is a mental illness," we all know what the response would be

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Glazier posted:

gently caress these people, I am so glad I left the Democratic party.

We don't need you anyway. Have fun voting for people who will kill literally millions, and then go gently caress yourself.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

LionArcher posted:

What I don't understand is how do they think this will work for them long term ?

It doesn't have to "work". They know they'll be handed complete power 50% of the time regardless of what they do so while they have the reins, they will force through as much bullshit as they can and then obstruct and break norms while not in power.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

mcmagic posted:

I have no idea why you are so sure about that. Republican voters seem to care just as much, if not more, about doing things that make liberals sad than about keeping their health insurance.

this is basically why keeping the focus on the bill being poo poo, rather than the democrats opposing it, is important

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Your Taint posted:

We don't need you anyway. Have fun voting for people who will kill literally millions, and then go gently caress yourself.

I'm not voting for the GOP, gently caress them. I'm voting for people who don't keep trying the same poo poo over and over again and then are surprised when it doesn't work.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Glazier posted:

I'm not voting for the GOP, gently caress them. I'm voting for people who don't keep trying the same poo poo over and over again and then are surprised when it doesn't work.

So clearly you're not voting third party.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Glazier posted:

actually, you are

sorry you're too stupid to understand that

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

If Obama (or anyone really) got up and said "Republicans are evil and conservatism is a mental illness," we all know what the response would be

The response is going to be terrible anyway, so why would you let it affect your course of action? Why can't democrats learn this lesson.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

The response is going to be terrible anyway, so why would you let it affect your course of action? Why can't democrats learn this lesson.

said Kathy Griffin, shortly before she clicked the "buy" button on discounted stage blood.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Because their friends are Republicans, their donors give to Republicans and they really want "sane" Republicans to vote for them since they are so centrist.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

interesting tweet: this guy is basically the authority on nevada state politics:

https://twitter.com/RalstonReports/status/877976475533692929

https://twitter.com/RalstonReports/status/877985903439826944

i can't say i follow his logic but its worth noting

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Trabisnikof posted:

said Kathy Griffin, shortly before she clicked the "buy" button on discounted stage blood.

Hmm, is there a difference between doing something stupid and doing something the republicans don't like?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Glazier posted:

Because their friends are Republicans, their donors give to Republicans and they really want "sane" Republicans to vote for them since they are so centrist.

Or because calling Republicans "evil" is a counterproductive hissy-fit kind of action and they know better than to give Republicans the nice fundraising clip.

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Hmm, is there a difference between doing something stupid and doing something the republicans don't like?

Exactly, and Obama getting up and saying this:

Is one of those stupid ideas.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Trabisnikof posted:

Or because calling Republicans "evil" is a counterproductive hissy-fit kind of action and they know better than to give Republicans the nice fundraising clip.

Yet the Tea Party runs the country, surely we can't have the Democrats do that!

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

evilweasel posted:

interesting tweet: this guy is basically the authority on nevada state politics:

If Heller goes No I think the bill is as good as dead.

Again, IF.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Glazier posted:

And you've got a very childish view of politics if you think the Tea Party runs the country because some Republican politician called Obama evil.

Ignore the massive organized effort to spread insane views across the country, use state laws to crush Democrats and use non-profits to funnel the money. It was them calling Obama evil!

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes
But her emails!

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
Obama calling Republicans a bunch of evil pricks would be satisfying but would just galvanize support for this bill. The time for him to abandon bipartisanship was somewhere around 2009, there's no point now.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Glazier posted:

You don't happen to have a pre-existing condition, do you? That's going to play a part in how I feel about this bill.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

As in dunking on women's right to decide how their body is treated wasn't enough,
https://twitter.com/ericawerner/status/877984785636786176

God forbid a senator can't do his job because of THOSE RISQUÉ FOREARMS

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
This thread really gets depressing without a daily dose of Spicer.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

How do you propose she does that when idiots in her own party listen to the GOP talking points about her.

By responding that they want to make it about her rather than their own terrible policies; it shouldn't be Stand With Nancy, it should be Fight Trumpcare, or better yet, make proposals of their own to fight for. Solely playing defense is a bad strategy, as is allowing the Republicans to dictate the battlefield.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Spaced God posted:

As in dunking on women's right to decide how their body is treated wasn't enough,

So much for Republicans supporting the 2nd Amendment...

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

LionArcher posted:

What I don't understand is how do they think this will work for them long term ? Like, if poo poo gets really bad, what's to stop poor desperate former military for not just targeting the senators who vote yes on this bill? Them and their families? People like Mitch are painting a huge target on their backs.

I am in no way advocating violence. But I'm a writer, and it's really not hard to see how stupid this is. Yes, the guy last week was unhinged and thank god he was stopped. But what if it's a former marine who's daughters dead because he can't afford cancer treatment?

Long term this poo poo does not go well for them.

Uh, if it comes to violence then that is a game the state's gonna win every single time.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Phone posting but imagine this post was just every photo from that photo shoot of Paul Ryan lifting

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Spaced God posted:

Hot take:

https://twitter.com/StevenTDennis/status/877987501616513024

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Hillary tried this with the deplorables. It didnt work

Glazier posted:

Republicans and Democrats have different standards. What works for the Republicans will never work for the Dems because the system is rigged for the GOP.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003

WeAreTheRomans posted:

This is funny

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Hillary tried this with the deplorables. It didnt work

Republicans and Democrats have different standards. What works for the Republicans will never work for the Dems because the system is rigged for the GOP.

It will work, if you also put a strong message behind it. It won't work if the only difference between you and them is you are "civil" and "serious".

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Cue reps wearing skirts like those kids in England.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

Lote posted:

Who will people blame when their insurance premiums go up? It's going to be Congress and Trump. They can try to blame Obama but that is going to be less effective the longer that Trumpcare is in place.
Think of it as a safety net.

The effects of repealing ACA will likely be delayed so that the full damage doesn't kick in for a couple years. If Trump (or Pence, or whoever) wins re-election in 2020, then none of it mattered anyway.

But if a Democrat unseats Trump in 2020, the country's healthcare will be starting to seriously fall apart and begin leaving bankrupted corpses all over the country just in time for Republicans to blame it all on the Democrat who just took office. It won't make any sense to anyone who bothers to do the math, but that won't be an issue, because somehow that trick ALWAYS works for them.

The plan will be to ride that story into retaking a third of the government in 2022, and the final third again in 2024. (I'm just assuming the Judicial branch will already be turbo-hosed for a few decades)

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
There's a Democrats suck thread, this is the Trump thread.

How is this hard?

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003

Robot Hobo posted:

The effects of repealing ACA will likely be delayed so that the full damage doesn't kick in for a couple years. If Trump (or Pence, or whoever) wins re-election in 2020, then none of it mattered anyway.

But if a Democrat unseats Trump in 2020, the country's healthcare will be starting to seriously fall apart and begin leaving bankrupted corpses all over the country just in time for Republicans to blame it all on the Democrat who just took office. It won't make any sense to anyone who bothers to do the math, but that won't be an issue, because somehow that trick ALWAYS works for them.

The plan will be to ride that story into retaking a third of the government in 2022, and the final third again in 2024. (I'm just assuming the Judicial branch will already be turbo-hosed for a few decades)

Yeah having it take effect a few years from now will sadly work out exactly as they're hoping, everyone will just blame the other party. I mean look at that poll posted a page back where Republicans blamed Obama for Katrina.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Spaced God posted:

Mike Pence in the House.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Robot Hobo posted:

Nah, they don't think that far ahead. They just want to win one more election basking in the glory of having done something but without seeing the pain. Then just retire in six years and let the new guys worry about it.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

bird cooch posted:

There's a Democrats suck thread, this is the Trump thread.

How is this hard?

Lol we've had derails over wild pigs, the definition of mountains, Dennis Rodman, and uranium in Wyoming. I think you need to manage your expectations.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Democrats don't suck. They reduce pressure on Republicans, causing a blow out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

evilweasel posted:

I think he meant to say "what Republicans are hoping for", not Dems

• Locked thread