Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Meanwhile, the republicans really are going to let Mayoral control of NYC public schools fall apart...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unbutthurtable
Dec 2, 2016

Total. Tox. Rereg.

College Slice

CaptainPsyko posted:

Meanwhile, the republicans really are going to let Mayoral control of NYC public schools fall apart...

Wait what?

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

I mean, if it doesn't happen today it isn't happening. And I've seen no movement.

Funny how renewal of that went from 3 or four years at a time to an annual sticking point that needs to be negotiated as soon as BdB became mayor...

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

CaptainPsyko posted:

I don't want to be all "my uncle who works at nintendo" but I know a guy who knows a guy who knows people at Families for Excellent Schools and holy poo poo if you could see the insane cabal of billionaires that are hell-bent on destroying de blasio and the nyc public school system. you would loving cry, these people are captain planet villains and are winning every battle.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Absurd Alhazred posted:

"Your child-molesting backers" should be a talking point next year, I hope.

lol

The New York State Catholic Conference, the Boy Scouts of America and other groups opposed the measure.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

the black husserl posted:

I don't want to be all "my uncle who works at nintendo" but I know a guy who knows a guy who knows people at Families for Excellent Schools and holy poo poo if you could see the insane cabal of billionaires that are hell-bent on destroying de blasio and the nyc public school system. you would loving cry, these people are captain planet villains and are winning every battle.

What's funny is that they're using mayoral control as a cudgel to expand charters but holy lol would local school boards be an absolutely apocalyptic situation for the charter movement. The whole reason mayoral control happened was to create the conditions for Bloomberg to push charters like no tomorrow.

It's gonna be hilarious if their desperation to dunk on BdB completely dismantles their raison d'etre.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
Staten island is pretty bad

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

every single untrue or overblown stereotype about new jersey is 100% true when it's applied to staten island

Absurd Alhazred posted:

"Your child-molesting backers" should be a talking point next year, I hope.
should but won't

CaptainPsyko posted:

What's funny is that they're using mayoral control as a cudgel to expand charters but holy lol would local school boards be an absolutely apocalyptic situation for the charter movement. The whole reason mayoral control happened was to create the conditions for Bloomberg to push charters like no tomorrow.

It's gonna be hilarious if their desperation to dunk on BdB completely dismantles their raison d'etre.
i want to believe this but my optimism levels are at low tide

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/KateAronoff/status/877938055444922369

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
How's the single payer bill coming along?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

EugeneJ posted:

today i got an email from a group representing physicians that support national healthcare that bragged about how NY Health got far more sponsors this year than in the last two, but it didn't come out of committee and the legislature is on break for the year (barring a special session, but that ain't happening). so it's done til next year

apparently Gustavo Rivera- who became the chief sponsor of the bill after its original one got voted into City Council- tried to put it in as part of the budget, but that got shot down

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

EugeneJ posted:

Legislators are going home. It's dead until next year.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i'm not the only one who sees cuomo appointing lhota to return as head of the MTA as yet another installment of his infinite "gently caress yous" to de blasio, am i?

most humans are carbon-based lifeforms, cuomo is a spite-based one

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

logikv9 posted:

Staten island is pretty bad

It's really loving bad

Hey in othet news look at the balls on what the mother fucker has too day

https://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/20170623/midtown/mta-andrew-cuomo-funding-subway-delays

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

give us more control and we'll give you more money. this is what's called "a compromise" in politics, cuomo, you should try doing it for once in your rancid existence

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I traveled by car to and from NYC in the past couple of days, and I really can't imagine why anyone would want to encourage more people to do so, rather than use any form of public transportation. Couldn't be happier to be back Upstate. Did Cuomo suffer a stroke that erased his memories of growing up in Queens sometime before he became Governor?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Did Cuomo suffer a stroke that erased his memories of growing up in Queens sometime before he became Governor?
i think i said this in the first post but it's worth repeating: andrew cuomo's political stances are the most advanced form of "gently caress you dad" in history. also idk where he grew up in queens but i bet it was the northeast part that might as well have been nassau. i'm not gonna bother checking because i'm lazy

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007
Well, he went to my high school in Briarwood, so it wouldn't surprise me if he grew up in Jamaica Estates or Malba, or even Douglaston.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

considering that a certain other political rear end in a top hat with wafer-thin skin and horrible hair grew up in jamaica estates, that's where i put my money on cuomo growing up in. now i'm motivated to actually look up where he lives instead of just speculating

edit: wikipedia doesn't say, actually

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

99 CENTS AMIGO posted:

Well, he went to my high school in Briarwood, so it wouldn't surprise me if he grew up in Jamaica Estates or Malba, or even Douglaston.

He grew up in Holliswood. Which is a step down from Jamaica Estates, but still plenty of money. Definitely not quite at the "basically Nassau" levels of the home he lived in as an adult before moving to Washington, which was a multi million dollar mansion in Douglaston.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

yeah that's neither northeast queens nor super well-off (wiki says "upper middle class"), but it is far enough from any stop on the subway for him to grow up wondering why public transit even needs to be a thing

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

get that OUT of my face posted:

yeah that's neither northeast queens nor super well-off (wiki says "upper middle class"), but it is far enough from any stop on the subway for him to grow up wondering why public transit even needs to be a thing

I mean, it's only about a mile to the 179th st. F train stop.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

CaptainPsyko posted:

I mean, it's only about a mile to the 179th st. F train stop.
if he went to school in briarwood, then he probably walked or took the bus to that stop. so i'll just go with his politics having been formed as a powerful, defiant, and completely arbitrary form of teenage rebellion

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

if he went to school in briarwood, then he probably walked or took the bus to that stop. so i'll just go with his politics having been formed as a powerful, defiant, and completely arbitrary form of teenage rebellion

I don't know if you can even blame that - Mario didn't run for office until Andrew was 17 or 18; during his teenage years, Dad wasn't much more than a prominent Queens NIMBY attorney helping neighborhood groups in Corona and Forest Hills oppose new high schools or low income housing or whatever.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Speaking of Andrew Cuomo loving over his dad: he's actively dismantling pop's political legacy, but it's okay, he's gonna name the replacement for the Tappan Zee Bridge after him.

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007
I love that the Assembly is so pissed at Cuomo that they didn't let the bridge renaming go through.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

99 CENTS AMIGO posted:

I love that the Assembly is so pissed at Cuomo that they didn't let the bridge renaming go through.

They should call it after Lehrman. I bet that'd get a majority in the Senate, too.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i was at the monthly district meeting for Assemblywoman Richardson and she said that Schneiderman will not be running for governor in 2018. we're hosed yall

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

i was at the monthly district meeting for Assemblywoman Richardson and she said that Schneiderman will not be running for governor in 2018. we're hosed yall

Hey, now, he still has time to indict Andy for something. :pray:

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Hey, now, he still has time to indict Andy for something. :pray:
the reason she gave was that he didn't wanna piss people off (presumably important ones) so don't count on that either. teachout is still undecided for now

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

the reason she gave was that he didn't wanna piss people off (presumably important ones) so don't count on that either. teachout is still undecided for now

I mean, I guess some people are masochists, but I don't see why she'd one to run again.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I mean, I guess some people are masochists, but I don't see why she'd one to run again.
she can come back on an "i told you so" campaign

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

she can come back on an "i told you so" campaign

I mean, I'd vote for her in the Democratic primary, for what that's worth. But as you've noted, Cuomo's popularity isn't low enough for him to get ousted too easily.

Edit:

Albany mayoral race getting feisty:

https://twitter.com/FrankCommisso15/status/878810215935815680

Absurd Alhazred has issued a correction as of 05:00 on Jun 25, 2017

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I mean, I'd vote for her in the Democratic primary, for what that's worth. But as you've noted, Cuomo's popularity isn't low enough for him to get ousted too easily.
when chris christie stopped giving a poo poo about new jersey for the white house, people stopped supporting him. cuomo's doing the same thing now and his approval has been as steady as ever. i know i've stated that fact before itt, but i'm absolutely baffled at why our electorate is so stupid

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

when chris christie stopped giving a poo poo about new jersey for the white house, people stopped supporting him. cuomo's doing the same thing now and his approval has been as steady as ever. i know i've stated that fact before itt, but i'm absolutely baffled at why our electorate is so stupid

Cuomo is still a year or two out from the point where Christies approval tanked - it really didn't happen until he started traveling constantly, compounded by bridgegate. Remember, he won a reelection landslide in 2013; We're a year out or more from the point where things could start to sour.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
Further proof New York deserves to lose it's progressive identity

https://twitter.com/iskandrah/status/879131447906508801

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

we can't lose what we didn't have in the first place

that incident also illustrates how bougie and corporate pride has become across the country, and also how enough people either actively like it that way, are indifferent about it, or are against it but don't feel like they want to do something about it. my friend suggests either getting rid of sponsors altogether or just making them local sponsors, but that won't happen any time soon

get that OUT of my face has issued a correction as of 06:36 on Jun 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
every day cuomo holds even a shred of power is a bad day