Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

The Titanic posted:

The only thing this helps to prove is that CIG is a terrible development studio.

:same:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

no_recall posted:

Its amazing that Ubisoft forgot to hold a UbiCon for this reveal, instead to show it off from a youtube video.

I didn't even have to pay for a ticket for a PowerPoint presentation in some dilapidated shithole on the other side of the planet.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

phosdex posted:

Still waiting for Will Wright to start a kickstarter for a new SimAnt.
Both the crowdfunded simants have already crashed and burned.

It's sad, all I want to do is mismanage food stocks and spray scent trails to spider nests.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Sarsapariller posted:

Asking because I legitimately have no interest in going to their site anymore- did any of the other motorcycles that they've sold actually come out? I've never seen a gif of one outside their demos. You'd think that motorcycles be really easy to crank out what with having no HUD, guns, etc.

In that classic game Star Citizen? Man, I barely remember it came out so long ago now. I want to say yes, but I also think it was a gif of a hotdog going over a ramp and crashing.

And there were some ninja guys on a flight deck.

Go grab it up from some old abandoned warez site or something. It's so old.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Eldragon posted:

As good as the game looks, its still a tech demo without a release date.... anyone else getting that creepy deja vu feeling?

I'll hope for the best, but yes. Last I heard about BG&E2 was some kind of desert level and the pig guy had a broken car or something. Had nothing at all to do about space ships and cussing monkeys.

This new iteration could get canned again before it goes anywhere. That's the breaks! That's also what happens when a project has oversight. If it looks like it's not actually going to make it, it gets axed and they regroup and try something different.

The alternative with zero oversight is Star Citizen and Sq42.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

The Titanic posted:

I didn't even have to pay for a ticket for a PowerPoint presentation in some dilapidated shithole on the other side of the planet.

you pay to share dreams, which if you really think about it is so priceless it's actually a good deal

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

his nibs posted:

ImAExpertPMMeUrClits makes a strong case

That's a very compelling user name. I bet his mailbox is full daily.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

starkebn posted:

glorious land of freedom citizen spotted

Yes, but also no.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

It might say Completionist but it is missing the space motorcycles among the other 40 ships they promised since that package was created.

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.

The Titanic posted:

In that classic game Star Citizen? Man, I barely remember it came out so long ago now. I want to say yes, but I also think it was a gif of a hotdog going over a ramp and crashing.

And there were some ninja guys on a flight deck.

Go grab it up from some old abandoned warez site or something. It's so old.

You could even say it's...

...a CULT classic

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Colostomy Bag posted:

It might say Completionist but it is missing the space motorcycles among the other 40 ships they promised since that package was created.

I wonder what cs would say if a completionist backer asked them for all the other ships they've sold since that package was made

They paid for one of everything. Completion-ist

Crobberts should cough it up and give them what they deserve

Oh wait I forgot each jpeg is a limited numbered run and issuing more than they sold would ruin the database

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STwVI6_xWqc&t=632s

Procedural Birds v1 looking good

(you will need to watch at full screen to see them)

Tokamak fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Jun 23, 2017

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Sappo569 posted:

I wonder what cs would say if a completionist backer asked them for all the other ships they've sold since that package was made

They paid for one of everything. Completion-ist

Crobberts should cough it up and give them what they deserve

Oh wait I forgot each jpeg is a limited numbered run and issuing more than they sold would ruin the database

Of course there is the whole $2700 Javelin sitting in the room.

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

Colostomy Bag posted:

Sorry, there was a typo. It should read "Completion-ish"

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

wait the $15k package doesnt come with "1 of everything we make in the future"

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

What in the actual gently caress is this :nms:

VealCutlet
Dec 21, 2015

I am a marketing god, shave that shit
gently caress that page tax

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Colostomy Bag posted:

A handful of completionist backers paid crobberts inflated salary at least for a few months , back in the early days when it was under 1mil a year

He so greedy he can't throw in a free jpeg or 2.

I'm enraged

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Uhh... Nazis don't miss the side of a barn with their Lugers.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Awesome! posted:

It's apparent you don't understand what "completion" is.

drat thing is more of a joke than I remember given Father Time marched on...

quote:

Need to have it all? The Completionist package lets you have all ships announced up to 2014, plus a couple 2015 Concepts (See package contents). All limited ships and limited flair come with an extra copy of themselves (certain exceptions). The package also comes loaded with Hangar decorations and 20,000 UEC Starting Money for game launch.
Please note that this package does not include the Javelin Destroyer, however it unlocks the ability to purchase one through the store. Please note that if you request the Completionist reclaimed for store credit the Javelin (if purchased) would be reclaimed as well

gently caress, how many ships are you missing out on from 2015 on. :v:

Colostomy Bag fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Jun 23, 2017

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Anybody figure out what crappy jpg they're getting ready to sell with this?

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link

If you try and click on it it says ACCESS DENIED.

I'm super duper excited you guys. Whatever it is it'll be 300+ dollars.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

spacetoaster posted:

They have a sale going on right now, and they're already lining up the next sale before it's even finished... wtf lol

Who said they will need to really book it to break 1mil this month?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Sappo569 posted:

They have a sale going on right now, and they're already lining up the next sale before it's even finished... wtf lol

Who said they will need to really book it to break 1mil this month?

Looks like the past day sale kicked in roughly an increase of $250K versus the previous days. So they sold roughly 5,600 space motorcycles today.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Colostomy Bag posted:

So they sold roughly 5,600 space motorcycles today.

Do any of us here really believe that?

Exinos
Mar 1, 2009

OSHA approved squiq
Clifford probably bought 500 of them in preparation of 3.0.

boviscopophobic
Feb 5, 2016

I'm telling you guys, never underestimate whale stupidity goodwill. Not even clamping down on CCU futures speculation can derail the 3.0 hype train. CIG will stay solvent at least until the MVP.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Awesome! posted:

From day one it was missing ships.

And from day one it let you unlock the "ability" to buy the $2,500 Javelin.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

boviscopophobic posted:

I'm telling you guys, never underestimate whale stupidity goodwill. Not even clamping down on CCU futures speculation can derail the 3.0 hype train. CIG will stay solvent at least until the MVP.

Yeah, those numbers are complete bullshit. People bought the dragonfly in great numbers because it gave you access to cheap LTI CCUs. There is no way another bike without that perk is going to sell as much or more.

boviscopophobic
Feb 5, 2016

trucutru posted:

Yeah, those numbers are complete bullshit. People bought the dragonfly in great numbers because it gave you access to cheap LTI CCUs. There is no way another bike without that perk is going to sell as much or more.

Yeah, any logical person would think that, but my one-word refutation is: Whales.

radd
Jun 16, 2001

Super Spacefortress

spacetoaster posted:

Remember when concierge/subscriber backers bought the Eclipse (before it was on sale to general public), they were awarded with Clearance Level Ultra status?

I bet that only those people can access that link.

Which means, other than Toast/MoMa, no one in this thread can.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Isthisannoyingyet.jpg

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

radd posted:

Remember when concierge/subscriber backers bought the Eclipse (before it was on sale to general public), they were awarded with Clearance Level Ultra status?

I bet that only those people can access that link.

Which means, other than Toast/MoMa, no one in this thread can.
You are correct.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/spectrum-dispatch/15980-sorry-but-this-is-the-end

e: I'm not letting this die on the last page:

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

Ghostlight posted:

e: I'm not letting this die on the last page:

I'm also not letting this page go on without a cat gif.

Priorities man!

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

BeigeJacket posted:

Croberto has no vision. There's nothing in his wretched game that isn't a shabby knock-off of one or two sci-fi franchises from 40 years ago.

Edit: Also does the thread have any recommendation for a decent sci fi novel? My flag has always firmly been planted in the cyberpunk camp, so I'm used to near future corporate hellholes with bionic implants and underdog hacker scum popping speed and contemplating their ennui. Never really got into this deep space opera stuff.

I'm going to disagree with you there, Star Citizen isn't a knockoff of one or two franchises, it's a knockoff of every single sci-fi that Crobberts is aware of, all mixed into a bland chunky rubbery goo that lacks any personality. If you showed Crobbert a new sci-fi film which he liked, knock off concepts and characters from the film would probably appear in the next Around the 'verse, or what ever they're doing for PR now.

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
http://i.imgur.com/0NT7pVY.gifv

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgry-YVkuYQ

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

FMguru posted:

It's the same reason floors are cleaned by some guy with a mop and bucket instead of a Roomba 2947.

It's all part of Crobllers's vision, you see.

In the future, Roombas are banned from public space stations because of possible terrorist threats. Cue backers dreaming about having modified Roombas on their ships defending against pirate boarders using the worst kind of electricity.

phosdex posted:

Still waiting for Will Wright to start a kickstarter for a new SimAnt.

I can't wait to see the fidelity of the robot lawn mower as it runs me over at a glorious 3 fps.

TheAgent posted:

so in a part of that huge dump I got the other day and who even knows or cares if its real but

hello

• continued funding through Amazon and other partners (??) is contingent on several major milestone releases in the next 18 months
  • full commercial release of Star Citizen in 2018
  • "It's a promise we can't keep. We all know it."
  • sq42 prelude was supposed to hit early this year and is now listed internally as N/A
  • "We are going to focus on making the best MMO experience possible and that means integrating all our hard work and ideas [from SQ42] into it."
  • first half of the year, travel expenses over $400,000
  • "They are using backer funds like airline miles."
  • strains between upper management and employees "at a boiling point"
  • "I think things were all smiles until [our investors] started asking where the money was going."
  • (rehash) almost all the old mocap data is severely unusable, 10s of thousands more man hours to get it into a working state
  • expect a large trailer for new content for SQ42 now called Star Citizen: Squadron 42 / Star Citizen: First Strike
  • NPCs and questgivers will include full SQ42 cast
  • "That's our NPE (new player experience), that's it. You come in, you play [what was called SQ42], you're in our universe already, it's an easy transition. Credits roll and you're at your ship and suddenly with all these other players and it opens up and you say, 'Wow.'"
  • Turbulent taking large percentage of backer funds
  • Turbulent contract renegotiated to now include SC 2017 releases as "MVP" or "EA commercial release" as some monies are tied to that

Hilarious whether it's true or not.

Ponzi
Feb 21, 2016

DEPORTED FROM FLAVOR TOWN

ICSA 67 LOSER
Fun Shoe

BeigeJacket posted:

Croberto has no vision. There's nothing in his wretched game that isn't a shabby knock-off of one or two sci-fi franchises from 40 years ago.

Edit: Also does the thread have any recommendation for a decent sci fi novel? My flag has always firmly been planted in the cyberpunk camp, so I'm used to near future corporate hellholes with bionic implants and underdog hacker scum popping speed and contemplating their ennui. Never really got into this deep space opera stuff.

Check out The Owner Trilogy by Neal Asher (The Departure, Zero Point, and Jupiter War). I don't think it would be considered Cyberpunk, but it's definitely about a corporate hellhole of the future. The trilogy lead me to all Neal Asher's other books (which are unrelated).

Also the 'Altered Carbon' series by Richard Morgan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

Viscous Soda posted:

I'm going to disagree with you there, Star Citizen isn't a knockoff of one or two franchises, it's a knockoff of every single sci-fi that Crobberts is aware of, all mixed into a bland chunky rubbery goo that lacks any personality.

Mass Effect shows you can just knockoff all the sci-fi you love and still make a decent universe. The fact Crobberts can't just shows his incompetence.