Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

C.M. Kruger posted:

From what I remember of it, the opening act of Tales of Zestiria was kinda antisemitic. Guy with ~the true blood~ who's been raised in the woods by ~the mythic spirits~ travels to the capital, there he finds that society is being corrupted by evil hook-nosed goblins who pose as people/merchants and make everybody miserable, IIRC our hero then returns the state religion to a truer, more pure form, exposing the Jews monsters and causing the people of the city to rise up against them. And at that point I stopped playing because the gameplay was crap.
what

that isn't what happens in zestiria at all

also it's about shintoism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

there isn't some secret race of 'hooknosed goblins' (what) controlling everything, it's a setting where people who give into despair turn into monsters on their own, independent of all the other monsters. also sorey does literally nothing to change the state religion, he just reaffirms people's faith in it. also the people of the city don't rise up against anything.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

C.M. Kruger posted:

From what I remember of it, the opening act of Tales of Zestiria was kinda antisemitic. Guy with ~the true blood~ who's been raised in the woods by ~the mythic spirits~ travels to the capital, there he finds that society is being corrupted by evil hook-nosed goblins who pose as people/merchants and make everybody miserable, IIRC our hero then returns the state religion to a truer, more pure form, exposing the Jews monsters and causing the people of the city to rise up against them. And at that point I stopped playing because the gameplay was crap.

Lol

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
if zestiria is secretly a game about how the jews are bad, what is berseria

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
no its definitely about JEWS because if theres one thing that tales team is it's ANTISEMITIC yes DEFINITELY THIS IS CORRECT

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

The Colonel posted:

if zestiria is secretly a game about how the jews are bad, what is berseria

its about how the jews saved the world by killing jesus, obviously

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
THE REAL REASON HIDEO BABA GOT FIRED BANDAI NAMCO DOESN'T WANT YOU TO KNOW

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

more like hitler baba

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

for real though tales is like the least racist jrpg series. half of eternia's cast is black and what the gently caress other jrpg can you say that about.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
hideo baba, walking through tales team office: "it is time for us to combat an issue socially relevant to our country, the jews"
people at tales team office: "uh oh!!! crazy baba's at it again!!!"

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Pretend I posted the butt bump gif from Zestiria the X here.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the left butt represents the jews, the right butt, the nazi warmachine

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

and legendia? thats about jonah and his exile in the whale, its so obvious

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

then again baba made a game about chopin so

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

i wanna be the white white light, of zionism

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
mighty kongman is actually a metaphor for hideo baba's views on russians

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The Colonel posted:

mighty kongman is actually a metaphor for hideo baba's views on russians
Woodrow was clearly his view on Woodrow Wilson.

Clearly the localization couldn't stand for this kind of commentary, necessitating changing his name to Garr.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Endorph posted:

what

that isn't what happens in zestiria at all

also it's about shintoism

I really doubt it was intentional, it just (IMO) hits a lot of the same points you'd see in the narrative of a fascist/nativist "The Crystal Children vs the Lizard Horde" style fantasy story. :shrug:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

That might be the Games post-iest post I've ever read

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

C.M. Kruger posted:

I really doubt it was intentional, it just (IMO) hits a lot of the same points you'd see in the narrative of a fascist/nativist "The Crystal Children vs the Lizard Horde" style fantasy story. :shrug:
no, it really doesn't hit them. at all. ever. in any way.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

your recap of the plot contained literally nothing that happened in the game so im really doubting your analysis here, and the fact that you looked at a game where the main mentor figure is throwing ofuda around and literally every random monster is born from impurity of mind and purpose and thought 'ah, clearly this is about the jews' is insane. read a book. also maybe don't immediately go 'the jews!!' whenever the word evil is used, even if you try and cloak it in being very concerned.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

C.M. Kruger posted:

the crystal chil...what....lol...dude

zestiria may be the most boring game in existence. i guarantee none of that stuff was in it because if that was the case i would have found it a lot less boring.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

stahns cape has bothered me since i first played the game.....why is it so narrow...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

C.M. Kruger posted:

You seem well-versed in antisemitic literature lol

I played Zestiria up until you find the river spirit and dropped it. I liked Xillia enough to finish it. Those are the two only Tales Of games I've played. Maybe I'll buy Berseria some day.

I don't have enough time to play every 50-hour JRPG on the planet. :negative:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

GulagDolls posted:

stahns cape has bothered me since i first played the game.....why is it so narrow...

he uses it for the tail in his bush baby cosplay

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

GulagDolls posted:

all of the designs in the destiny games are pretty bad. leon and philia are cool tho. and kongman.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Terper posted:

Wow! Such savings? Cannot resist!

That was well-timed :haw:

Are there any other RPGs on steam worth picking up in the sale? I've already played (and loved) Berseria :3:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Your Computer posted:

That was well-timed :haw:

Are there any other RPGs on steam worth picking up in the sale? I've already played (and loved) Berseria :3:
valkyria chronicles is cool if you haven't played it, though pretty imbalanced.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Endorph posted:

then again baba made a game about chopin so

Chopin's fever dreams about excessive taxation on bread.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
I've heard a remake of Morrowind came out recently. Is it any good? I very nearly bought it, but reviews seem to point to it being a MMO, which confused me enough to stop me.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Libluini posted:

I've heard a remake of Morrowind came out recently. Is it any good? I very nearly bought it, but reviews seem to point to it being a MMO, which confused me enough to stop me.

It's an expansion for Elder Scrolls Online letting players go to Morrowind.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Libluini posted:

The Elder Scrolls Online is an MMORPG. It's pretty decent if you're into MMOs. It has a bunch of locations across Tamriel you can travel to, and the most recent expansion pack adds Morrowind to that list.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's an expansion for Elder Scrolls Online letting players go to Morrowind.

Deltasquid posted:

The Elder Scrolls Online is an MMORPG. It's pretty decent if you're into MMOs. It has a bunch of locations across Tamriel you can travel to, and the most recent expansion pack adds Morrowind to that list.

Ah, thanks. A bit disappointing, but oh well. Then I'll wait for the FFXII-remaster instead.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Endorph posted:

valkyria chronicles is cool if you haven't played it, though pretty imbalanced.

I've never played it (in part because of the setting, anime war will always be weird to me) and I'm ridiculously bad at tactical games, but it's one of those games that everyone thinks is amazing isn't it? What exactly do you mean by it being imbalanced? If it's too hard then it might be too much for me :saddowns:

I noticed the Final Fantasy games are on sale too. Any of them worth picking up? I've played the 2D ones to death but since I was a Nintendo kid and never owned a Playstation I haven't actually played FF7 and up myself. Do they hold up without the nostalgia factor, and are any of the ports decent (or botched like the 2D "remasters")?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

FF7, 9 and 10 are definitely still worth playing and the Steam ports are fine.

7 has a largely unchanged early PS1 translation which isn't great though. And pretty rough graphics.

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Jun 23, 2017

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Your Computer posted:

I've never played it (in part because of the setting, anime war will always be weird to me) and I'm ridiculously bad at tactical games, but it's one of those games that everyone thinks is amazing isn't it? What exactly do you mean by it being imbalanced? If it's too hard then it might be too much for me :saddowns:

I noticed the Final Fantasy games are on sale too. Any of them worth picking up? I've played the 2D ones to death but since I was a Nintendo kid and never owned a Playstation I haven't actually played FF7 and up myself. Do they hold up without the nostalgia factor, and are any of the ports decent (or botched like the 2D "remasters")?

It's imbalanced in that the Scout Classtype is obscenely overpowered. Also despite what you might be fearing, it actually takes the WW2-esque war setting seriously rather than something like "YAY, let's all go be great heroes and have a happy adventure! :yayclod:"

That would be the dumpster fire that is Valkyria Chronicles 2.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Your Computer posted:

I enjoyed Valkyria Chronicles a lot. It's not hard unless you're trying for A-ranks or playing the optional super-hard missions. (don't try for A-ranks, it sucks)

The imbalance is just that certain unit types, especially scouts, are way more useful than others most of the time.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Didn't FF9 have some sort of obnoxious issue with its text/font on Steam?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

i won't stand for all this stahn bashing!