Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

isk posted:

Temple of the Fist, 2nd boss -

The last boss of temple is gonna be fun to revisit when we're more geared since you can get like 20 damage up orbs. I hit a non-direct crit for 33k, if that had direct crit it would have been nearly 50k.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

SKULL.GIF posted:

:iiaca:

Red Mage is automatic transmission, other jobs are manual shift.

everyone knows red cars are best/fastest.

Injuryprone
Sep 26, 2007

Speak up, there's something in my ear.

What are these damage rankings that keep getting mentioned?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

SKULL.GIF posted:

This is my exact feelings on Red Mage but expressed better. I immediately saw the problems with the job once I started it, and recognized it wasn't going to get any better at 70. I really wish the job had more complexity to it. MCH apparently sucks right now for damage but playing them is a lot of fun. SAM is strong but they're also fun to play.

I think it's really important that a job has a high skill ceiling that you can't consistently reach all of the time (either due to personal skill or fight mechanics or both) so you always feel like there's something to strive towards.

I had the same realization but felt I was committed, probably because I had hyped myself up for the job the two weeks prior. I wish I had stuck with BLM at this point and will definitely level it sometime soonish (after I get another role to 70, probably). At least all the gear I'm getting for RDM will carry over barring my weapon. It just feels like there aren't enough tricks, and the tricks that there are don't feel that satisfying in practice beyond the initial "aha!" like the aforementioned "get to 90/90+, use Moulinet once, Manafication, use Moulinet three more times". As BLM I felt like every fight had those moments due to how restrictive movement was and how Enochian functioned. There is really nothing in the RDM's catalog that feels as sneaky as swiftcast B4 to preserve Enochian, and that's like BLM 101.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

SKULL.GIF posted:

This is my exact feelings on Red Mage but expressed better. I immediately saw the problems with the job once I started it, and recognized it wasn't going to get any better at 70. I really wish the job had more complexity to it. MCH apparently sucks right now for damage but playing them is a lot of fun. SAM is strong but they're also fun to play.

I think it's really important that a job has a high skill ceiling that you can't consistently reach all of the time (either due to personal skill or fight mechanics or both) so you always feel like there's something to strive towards.

I think the reason I'm so conflicted is that it's probably a very good thing there's a job like Red Mage in the game. It's fun and has just enough going on that you can't just completely shut off, and it has some utility that can make it really valuable in the right situations. For a lot of players, a job like Red Mage is exactly what they needed: something that doesn't make them go above and beyond in order to succeed. And really, that Dualcast Verraise thing is just beautiful.

It's just that the selfish part of me wishes that some other job could've filled that role instead of Red Mage. I still sort of want to main Red Mage just because, well, it's fuckin' Red Mage, you get to be a mage with a sweet sword and cool sword moves and you flip all over the place and hell yeah that owns. But it's just a bit too shallow to sustain long-term interest, I worry.

I think maybe what the job needs is something else to do in melee. Having just one linear melee combo is going to get repetitive. I don't think Red Mage needs a bunch of branching combos like Monk or a suite of separate, useful combos like Samurai, but it needs just a little something more, some sort of decision to make at the melee stage of the rotation. As it stands, the melee combo is still fun as a "I get to do a thing that looks cool and see big numbers sometimes" thing--and I don't mean that to sound dismissive, because there's a lot of fun to be had there (see also: my desire to play Black Mage and Triplecast Flare)--but having an alternate combo, or an alternate combo finisher, or something that's maybe a situational change to what you do there would be great.

If they want to do that and save buttons, they can save at least one button by just making Impact act like the Jolt III it secretly is and having it just replace Jolt II when you have an Impactful proc. One fewer thing to keybind, now you can use that key for a new melee ability.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Themage posted:

All of you nerds saying the hw story was better have some real fuckin rose tinted binoculars

I agree that Stormblood has been better than Heavensward storywise, but aside from the regular dungeon boss music, I think it's worse in that regard. I like Thordans theme a lot more than The Royal Manageries as far as base expansion finale battle themes go. Ala Mhigo itself is a trillion times better than the ARF however.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Countblanc posted:

I had the same realization but felt I was committed, probably because I had hyped myself up for the job the two weeks prior. I wish I had stuck with BLM at this point and will definitely level it sometime soonish (after I get another role to 70, probably). At least all the gear I'm getting for RDM will carry over barring my weapon. It just feels like there aren't enough tricks, and the tricks that there are don't feel that satisfying in practice beyond the initial "aha!" like the aforementioned "get to 90/90+, use Moulinet once, Manafication, use Moulinet three more times". As BLM I felt like every fight had those moments due to how restrictive movement was and how Enochian functioned. There is really nothing in the RDM's catalog that feels as sneaky as swiftcast B4 to preserve Enochian, and that's like BLM 101.

Right now I'm at the end of the main Heavensward story and I'm stuck between two options:

1. Just keep truckin' with Red Mage and look forward to the couple new tricks I get eventually. If nothing else, Vercure is really nice for soloing and Black Mage sure doesn't get that, and maybe I'll get to be a hero with Verraise a couple times along the way. And it's not like Red Mage is totally unfun or anything, just, y'know, lackluster.

2. Buy a jump potion for Black Mage once I finish the Heavensward story and play through Stormblood with that job instead. I have Black Mage at like 38 right now but I'm willing to drop some money to just finally get to Stormblood instead of screwing around leveling it to 60 when I already have Red Mage there. It helps that I want to keep leveling Black Mage eventually anyway.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

SettingSun posted:

As a WAR I feel like I'm flat out taking more damage, even in synced content. My health is see-sawing all over the place and I'm afraid to chain pull more than two packs for fear of my safety. Also I'm mourning the loss of Flash enough that I should probably hold a funeral.

I too, feel this way, and have taken to just shoving as much Tenacity into my gear as possible. If it does what it says it's supposed to do, anyways. Losing Bloodbath really, really hurt, and I could especially use it more than ever going Bloodbath -> Berserk -> Steel Cyclone -> Steel Cyclone -> Infuriate -> Steel Cyclone.

And man, do I miss Path's 10% debuff.

Also, RIP CCable Flash.

Holyshoot posted:

combat class takes a few days even if you spam skip through the story?

Well, I suppose if you poopsocked it, you could do it in a day, but I did it without the benefit of the Ala Mhigan Earring. I spent the weekend of early access casually levelling an archer to 30 instead of throwing myself at Raubahn EX.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

SettingSun posted:

Basically if people aren't dead, the healer is doing their job fine. With the changes to Cleric Stance healers have even fewer excuses to not DPS.

The death of Cleric Stance has been so loving nice. Being able to effortlessly weave back and forth between damage and healing has been loving amazing.

It has also been a boon for PvP since we can actually occasionally kill people now.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Skaw posted:

I agree that Stormblood has been better than Heavensward storywise, but aside from the regular dungeon boss music, I think it's worse in that regard. I like Thordans theme a lot more than The Royal Manageries as far as base expansion finale battle themes go. Ala Mhigo itself is a trillion times better than the ARF however.

Lakshmi's theme owns though.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Harrow posted:

Right now I'm at the end of the main Heavensward story and I'm stuck between two options:

1. Just keep truckin' with Red Mage and look forward to the couple new tricks I get eventually. If nothing else, Vercure is really nice for soloing and Black Mage sure doesn't get that, and maybe I'll get to be a hero with Verraise a couple times along the way. And it's not like Red Mage is totally unfun or anything, just, y'know, lackluster.

2. Buy a jump potion for Black Mage once I finish the Heavensward story and play through Stormblood with that job instead. I have Black Mage at like 38 right now but I'm willing to drop some money to just finally get to Stormblood instead of screwing around leveling it to 60 when I already have Red Mage there. It helps that I want to keep leveling Black Mage eventually anyway.

I haven't experienced BLM in SB yet but everyone I know who liked it in HW likes it now, and it definitely has the Big Numbers appeal of SAM. RDM's solo stuff is definitely good and I've used Vercure to let a friend and I duo boss FATEs we otherwise wouldn't have been able to so there's definitely something to be said for that.

I've been having fun too but it's hard to say how much of it is seeing new content every day and how much is RDM. And RDM's play pattern is absolutely fun, just incredibly autopilot with no notable room for growth. It's particularly funny since pre-launch tons of people were freaking out about how complex it looked and like "whoa! how do you even make a rotation for a job this weird!!" but oh hey it turns out you just press 1 > 2 or 1 > 3 (your choice! wow!), and then smash that glowy button if you were #blessed otherwise 4 > 3 or 4 >2, repeat.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Mordiceius posted:

The death of Cleric Stance has been so loving nice. Being able to effortlessly weave back and forth between damage and healing has been loving amazing.

It has also been a boon for PvP since we can actually occasionally kill people now.

Broil in pvp is the best. :getin:

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

hobbesmaster posted:

SCH in PvP is super cool. Making the fairy a cooldown is neat and Broil is sick.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Leal posted:

Made some crazy gil last night with gathering, lets gather all day today to make more gil. What does the MB show today? *The prices of literally everything has dropped 40%* :suicide:
That happens all the time with everything. Just price your poo poo as before and wait for it to empty out. If they're items that move they will get unburied after the dumping jerk's stock has run out.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
I love that noclip documentary. This game owns and its a miracle baby.

It makes me reflect on all the bad rear end story beats and awesome times and nerdscreams and dumb arguments that caused splits and friendships to fade and the hundreds of nights I spent AFKing in exactly the same spot in the goblet while leaving the music to play as I go to sleep.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

hobbesmaster posted:

I really do enjoy that scholar has become the PvP rear end in a top hat. "Hey all of you! Where's your oGCDs? :smug:" being able to shutdown an advancing DPS' burst capability while also hurting them is too rich. Like an incredibly sweet dessert.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

That Feel When

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Ciaphas posted:

Since we're kinda talking about it as compared to RDM, how does the BLM rotation (or whatever you want to call it) shake out at 70? Has it changed significantly on the way up there from 60?

It's still pretty much the same, blizz IV into Fire III into fire IV and then fire I to keep astral going. but with umbral hearts you get a looot more fire IVs out per astral cycle. Also enocian doesnt drop off any more unless you drop astral/umbral, so no need to worry about that. Weave in foul once every 30 seconds in your umbral phase and baby you got a stew going on.

Aoe is where things have changed a lot. You start with a blizz 3, then thunder IV for aoe dot, then blizz IV for the hearts. then fire II x2 and flare, which leaves you enough mana for another flare right away thanks to the 68 trait. then do whatever, transpose or convert flare if you have it. drop a foul in there since it's a 600+ pot aoe as well. Life is good.

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.

Kaldaris posted:

After having completed the Main Story Quest for Stormblood, I would like to thank Raubhan for being the best Scion and getting all the work done. When we were busy putting giant rhinos in burlap sacks. You were doing the heavy lifting.

Honorary second best NPC goes to Leonardo, the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle. Give me a permanent Manta Ray, thank you.

so true.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Raubahn loses his cool dude seat for the "pray return to the login screen" business last weekend.

Leonardo is a good turtle bro though.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

On the other hand I really like how RDM plays and I would rather they didn't add more complexity to it just because people think it needs more complexity (which is literally complexity for the sake of complexity). I also think executing its attack pattern well in raid encounters will be nuanced enough to keep me awake--higher tier XIV fights tend to be mechanics-heavy. AoE could certainly use some work though.

But then I enjoyed ARR Black Mage. RDM's a little more complicated than that though.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Magil Zeal posted:

On the other hand I really like how RDM plays and I would rather they didn't add more complexity to it just because people think it needs more complexity (which is literally complexity for the sake of complexity). I also think executing its attack pattern well in raid encounters will be nuanced enough to keep me awake--higher tier XIV fights tend to be mechanics-heavy. AoE could certainly use some work though.

But then I enjoyed ARR Black Mage. RDM's a little more complicated than that though.

I think, for me, it's in the melee component that I feel Red Mage needs some more variance. It's already not very exciting for me to execute the same string of three attacks every time I rush in. I wish there was some decision point there, like two combos that both start with Enchanted Riposte but do different things. I don't really like the feeling that the coolest part of the job might as well be one button, y'know?

I don't have too much issue with the ranged part of the job that isn't just down to personal preference. Specifically, I don't love rotations that amount to "press the button that lights up," but that's really down to personal preference and I know that the unpredictability of procs and a priority-based "which proc to I use first" focus can be exciting for other players.

More than anything I feel a little bit frustrated, maybe? Like there are things about the job that I love--I love the style of it, the mobility, the versatility that Vercure and Verraise allow--but I think there just isn't enough flexibility in the way you do damage for me to find it particularly satisfying.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Magil Zeal posted:

I'm in the same boat - it plays well and I definitely feel enough pressure in harder boss encounters to keep up with my procs and figuring out when I'm safe to use my melee. I'd hate to have more fiddlyness or more buttons to press.

That said I do kinda see where people are coming from with the skill ceiling aspect and think a better approach might be to play around with the spell potency so there's more gain from using the right spells.Maybe a bigger payoff to using verholy/flare with unbalanced mana? At risk of suggesting something kind of fiddly, perhaps a buff for each, that way you want to do alternate between flare and holy, encouraging players to be more mindful in how they unbalance mana?

My only real gripe about RDM is verflare/holy feel kind of underwhelming for how late we get them, and for how much buildup there is to them, but I guess it wouldn't be true to RDM if we didn't get a bit shafted on the high-end spell side. :v:

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Overall, I'm enjoying Stormblood so loving much that as I sit at work or as I'm driving to/from work, all I can think about is getting home and playing. Was half tempted to remote into my home computer and run some crafting macros from work.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
Same.

And I'd be down for buffs based on whether you Verholy or Verflare. From what I hear, Verflare is unlocked first and most folks have no trouble verflaring every time and getting a proc so it shouldn't be a big issue

it feels like every job has been reduced to a basic rotation skeleton so that once the next expansion hits they can do like they did in HW and drop a bunch of buttons on us. There's a lot of holes that need patching in almost every job now, but it seems like the balance patch equalizing most roles has been effective with possible exception of pld.

I think this might be an intentional thing, alternate expansions purifying our jobs' systems then expanding on them. I could definitely be way off the mark and they're just doing what looks good while cleaning up hotbars since it was a hotly requested change. I guess we'll find out in 5.0

Jinh fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jun 23, 2017

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Jinh posted:

Same.

And I'd be down for buffs based on whether you Verholy or Verflare. From what I hear, Verflare is unlocked first and most folks have no trouble verflaring every time and getting a proc so it shouldn't be a big issue

Yeah as it is the job actually gets easier at 70 with Verholy, not harder (or more fulfilling/interesting/whatever). Suddenly the minigame just becomes "can you end with even a minor imbalance" rather than "can you shoot for a specific imbalance" and ultimately the answer is "yes, with great ease". A buff that empowers your next Ver-the-other-one when you use Holy/Flare could be cool and also fits the balance flavor of the job. And even if it boosted the spell from 550 to 650 or something that's a pretty dang small buff considering how infrequently you use them, which means it'd add optimization options without really punishing players who failed to track it to any notable degree.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
my commendations usually go to whichever person set off the fewest traps in POTD

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Soothing Vapors posted:

my commendations usually go to whichever person set off the fewest traps in POTD

I commend whoever runs into the explosive trap that leaves all critical while chasing after a treasure that happens to be a mimic

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
My commendations go to whichever person hosed up the least, and only until I get the challenge log entry. Which is fine, pubbie quality tails off severely after Thursday anyways.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
After playing dragoon at 70 more yesterday, I think I'm mostly happy with it. They managed to get it into a perfect lenticular space, where it seems very simple until you start to know what you're doing, at which point it gets much more involved. Knowing when you can safely press Geirskogul without delaying LotD, when to delay Geirskogul to make sure you get three Nastronds, how to order your jumps and such is just enough complexity to keep me engaged without feeling overwhelming, which is where both the ARR and HW rotations ended up being after I baked them into my muscle memory

My only complaint is that the payoff for doing it all right feels super weak (even if it isn't, numerically). The number one change I'd make to dragoon is give LotD a 5-10% damage buff or something so it feel more exciting when you line things up successfully. Pull potency from anywhere but full thrust to make it happen, I love my new 440 potency best friend.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Alisaie is my new favorite NPC :allears:

Everyman
Jun 4, 2009
Shameless plug for my primal punching LS once again since there's people at 70 now and we've knocked out both EXs: https://catgirl.bargains/topic/77-wreck-it-raiding-primal-punching-linkshell-open-for-business/

Come join us if you want to pummel primals. They're pretty easy this time around and you can get by with a bit less than i300 if you have the tomestone weapon. Its not a static group, but a gathering place to make your farm, clear, or learning parties. Easiest way to get an invite is to ask around on the discord: https://discord.gg/3ZXK3UH

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Y'know, maybe my issue with Red Mage is that its rotation is too... transparent? The best way I can describe the feeling is: when I use a spell as a Red Mage, it's not because of what the spell does, but because it's the next spell I'm supposed to use. The spell I cast has less to do with the effect the spell has and more to do with the fact that it's the next step in my rotation and/or because the button lit up. It feels like a mini-game more than a coherent in-universe fighting style.

While that's fundamentally true of every job, many others sort of "hide" it better. I'll use Black Mage as an example because I've been using it as a comparison this whole conversation. When I cast Blizzard IV, it's because it gives me Umbral Hearts I can use to cast Fire IV cheaper or keep a scrap of MP after I cast Flare. When I cast Fire III, it's because it maxes out my Astral Fire immediately so I can get right to doing the most fire damage I can. Sure, under the hood, it's because I need those Umbral Hearts or Astral Fire stacks for my rotation to stay on track, but there's an immediate, tangible effect where I go, "I want to cast X spell to do Y specific thing." I like Samurai a lot because it has a similar feeling--you cycle through the different combos not just because you're supposed to, or even just to build up a resource, but because they each have an immediate, tangible effect (debuffing enemy slashing resistance or giving you a speed buff, etc).

This is a really, I dunno, "mushy/feely" way of describing my issue with a job's design so I totally get it if this sounds like nonsense or I'm coming across as more of an idiot than usual.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

UHD posted:

I only just hit Yanxia but holy gently caress is Alisaie my favorite character in the game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

UHD posted:

I want a mission line that is nothing but Alisaie and Krile dunking on everyone they talk to.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Is there actually a limitation that grade 6 materia can only go in the first slot, or was that just a fever dream I had while reading the patch notes?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Everyman posted:

Shameless plug for my primal punching LS once again since there's people at 70 now and we've knocked out both EXs: https://catgirl.bargains/topic/77-wreck-it-raiding-primal-punching-linkshell-open-for-business/

Come join us if you want to pummel primals. They're pretty easy this time around and you can get by with a bit less than i300 if you have the tomestone weapon. Its not a static group, but a gathering place to make your farm, clear, or learning parties. Easiest way to get an invite is to ask around on the discord: https://discord.gg/3ZXK3UH

neat, i wanted to start trying primals this weekend

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

cheetah7071 posted:

Is there actually a limitation that grade 6 materia can only go in the first slot, or was that just a fever dream I had while reading the patch notes?

idk if you're in my FC but apparently this is not the case; you're just limited to using the guaranteed meld slots.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

idk if you're in my FC but apparently this is not the case; you're just limited to using the guaranteed meld slots.

Welp my gear is sullied with suboptimal materia then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Harrow posted:

Y'know, maybe my issue with Red Mage is that its rotation is too... transparent? The best way I can describe the feeling is: when I use a spell as a Red Mage, it's not because of what the spell does, but because it's the next spell I'm supposed to use. The spell I cast has less to do with the effect the spell has and more to do with the fact that it's the next step in my rotation and/or because the button lit up. It feels like a mini-game more than a coherent in-universe fighting style.
Yeah I get what you're saying, I think the job would be better with a little more "grit" tbh, its a bit too smooth as is. Like maybe a small amount of randomness to the amount of mana you earn to keep you reacting to the bar rather than predicting it.