Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

If juwan Evans becomes an NBA starter great !! He would never develop on the sixers tho. It would be unfair to him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

The only thing selling picks proves is that the owner is cheap. Whatever the Sixers pull in, Harris will earn double through his stock options in a day

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

The only thing selling picks proves is that the owner is cheap. Whatever the Sixers pull in, Harris will earn double through his stock options in a day

the owners are awful

but not because they sold a second round pick.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/jfey5/status/878309686499393536

https://twitter.com/Spiegel_Parkins/status/878309759207718912

Sigh

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

TheKevman posted:

6'9 225 athletic as gently caress people are comparing him to Draymond idk about that though, he's a different player.

His tournament run was SUPER good. There was no way you COULDN'T pay attention to him or know his name (especially if you were a fan of the losing team).

He averaged like 13 rebs per game, of which like 4-5 were offensive. He was so dominant on the boards and on defense. Against Kansas he went for 11/13/8 blocks. Was amazing.

I don't think his offense is nearly as terrible as people are making it out to be, and Bob Meyers said they had him pegged in the 1st and to be honest, I'm surprised he didn't go earlier.

I agree with you 100%. For what the Warriors need, this is an amazing 2nd round pick. At worst I think this guy will turn into Faried with better D.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

euphronius posted:

Sure if they had roster spots and opportunity for those guys to play. Of course. Everyone agrees with that lol. They don't have roster spots or opportunity tho. Everyone they drafted other than fultz is stashed.

For what it's worth I don't think it's a big deal at all. It's a marginal asset and the time, money, and effort spend finding out if they're any good probably has better uses.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
The 76ers basically abandoned gate receipts for a half-decade in order to slightly goose their chance at being a contender, I think they've proved they aren't cheap

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

Selling 2nd rounders happens enough that I'm willing to accept that there are reasons it makes sense that fans can't understand. It's not a video game. It could be as simple as the team doesn't feel like they can appropriately handle that many young players and they couldn't trade them for more picks so they sold them. It could be a lot of things that we don't know about so really who cares? Mostly tho Hinkie did it so it is Hinkie Approved

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
The Sixers have a lot of young talent they do not need to waste roster spots on bad 2nd picks when they need to use those spots on bad old players that can help their young talent.

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

Just picture it in your job. If you hire too many people at once at work it's really hard to train them all. You don't necessarily have enough people to focus on bringing them up to speed, and they tend to take up a lot of the managers time, etc

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Markelle Fultz's article on The Player's Tribune has some funny poo poo in it.

quote:

A lot happened last week. It’s crazy that it’s only been seven days since I got invited to Philly. I found out last Friday morning. I woke up and thought I was going to Boston for another workout with the Celtics.

Then Keith hit me up and said, “New plan. Philly.”

I was just waking up. So I was like, “O.K., cool. Do they have Chick-fil-A there?”

quote:

Anyway, guess what happened when I showed up to the Sixers training facility? They’d ordered Chick-fil-A. It was there waiting for me on a table. For real. A bunch of sandwiches.

I don’t know how they knew, but they knew.

And I know it’s not a big deal, but a little part of me was thinking, Respect. They did their research.

quote:

Joel came up after I had finished and of course the first thing he said was, “Trust the process.” All the guys took a picture with me and Joel was cracking everyone up. Now I get why he’s so good on Twitter. He’s the same guy in real life. (I’m serious: 75 texts in the last week.)

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

morestuff posted:

The 76ers basically abandoned gate receipts for a half-decade in order to slightly goose their chance at being a contender, I think they've proved they aren't cheap

They also just built a huge training facility

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

:lol: That picture. Dude is literally a blockhead.

ChickenMedium fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jun 23, 2017

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Noctone posted:

Markelle Fultz's article on The Player's Tribune has some funny poo poo in it.

Embiid :allears:

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

MourningView posted:

Hated the hire but he's been great. I hated Hayward at one point too

You said he was an international terrorist

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
I hope Embiid gets to gently caress Rihanna some day.

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
i'm the world's last "gently caress the process" holdout and i still can't hate embiid

de curry GOAT
Oct 23, 2005

FUEGO take

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Does the money from selling a pick go towards the cap or is it just straight cash to the FO?

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

Embiid is the new spirit animal of Philadelphia, replacing Chase Utley

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
I ate a probation for supporting known terrorist Gordon Hayward

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

kingcobweb posted:

You said he was an international terrorist

Look, we still don't know for sure that he's not. He spends a lot of time on the internet, which perhaps not coincidentally is also where ISIS does the bulk of their recruiting.

But he learned to consistently hit 3s so I'm okay with it now

the_american_dream posted:

I ate a probation for supporting known terrorist Gordon Hayward

I stand by it

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Lol Ainge said Minny gave up too much for Butler. Shine on you crazy diamond

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
There is a nonzero chance I've defeated Gordon Hayward in League of Legends

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
On July 1st the Cavs should send $2.5 million each to the Knicks and Bulls for a top 55 protected 2nd each, the money would go towards the buyouts of Melo and Wade.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
You can only spend 3.5 mill to buy picks

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
Philly can't really take any more rookies reasonably

Fultz / McConnell
Bayless / Stauskas / Henderson
Covington / TLC / Anderson
Simmons / Saric
Embiid / Holmes / Okafor

That gets you to 13 players already. They also want to bring over Korkmaz this season (Coangelo confirmed in the post-draft press conference) which would make it 14. They are also for sure going to want to sign some veteran rotation players as they have an outside chance at making the playoffs in the east (pending health obviously), which would be huge for the franchise. Plus they've already announced some undrafted guys they are bringing to Summer League/camp. It's a fairly dumb thing to get mad about.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Phili should unironically sign perk

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames

Dexo posted:

You can only spend 3.5 mill to buy picks

Thought it was 5, my bad.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized

Metapod posted:

Phili should unironically sign perk

If I was them the players I'd be looking to go after would be Patty Mills, Reddick and Korver. KCP too if Detroit don't just automatically give him the max.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

tanglewood1420 posted:

Philly can't really take any more rookies reasonably

Fultz / McConnell
Bayless / Stauskas / Henderson
Covington / TLC / Anderson
Simmons / Saric
Embiid / Holmes / Okafor

That gets you to 13 players already. They also want to bring over Korkmaz this season (Coangelo confirmed in the post-draft press conference) which would make it 14. They are also for sure going to want to sign some veteran rotation players as they have an outside chance at making the playoffs in the east (pending health obviously), which would be huge for the franchise. Plus they've already announced some undrafted guys they are bringing to Summer League/camp. It's a fairly dumb thing to get mad about.

I could be a homer about this, but I don't even know if it should be considered "outside" at this point. They have a reasonable shot at the playoffs pending health, largely due to the East going from being a dumpster fire to a disaster this offseason (Bulls and Pacers set to take huge steps backwards, other teams not in position to make much noise). Anyway, they won 28 games last year, it wouldn't be insane if they won 35-40 this year, especially if they do sign a decent veteran.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Bernstein is really outchea carrying water for this deal.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Michael Corleone posted:

Thought it was 5, my bad.

It will be 5 on July 1

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

paternity suitor posted:

Selling 2nd rounders happens enough that I'm willing to accept that there are reasons it makes sense that fans can't understand. It's not a video game. It could be as simple as the team doesn't feel like they can appropriately handle that many young players and they couldn't trade them for more picks so they sold them. It could be a lot of things that we don't know about so really who cares? Mostly tho Hinkie did it so it is Hinkie Approved
I'm not sure the "Hinkie did it" defense is good. I read he only once sold a pick and it was the 60th. Also I find it hard to believe they couldn't have traded the 2nds for future 2nds. That said I doubt this ends up amounting to much and I think a bigger mistake was drafting counterfeit Porzingis in the first round. i get they wanted a euro to stash and even late firsts rarely hit but this guy's odds seem even lower than usual. and the Spurs pick right after looks very good

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Noctone posted:

I hope Embiid gets to gently caress Rihanna some day.

I hope he does it in front of KD. Or sends him a video right after where he's celebrating.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
I like the Lakers' draft aside from Lonzo, Kuzma and Hart both measure well and are skilled and multipositional. Bryant is a whatever swing at someone who might absorb some of those center minutes that right now all belong to Zubac and Tarik Black

John Hammond took exactly the right players for Orlando, in Isaac and Iwundu who fell about 12 picks further than he should have, based on talent and potential. They need an all NBA player, and Isaac had the clearest path, of anyone available to them at 6. The fit with Gordon long term is a problem, but having two very good players at the same position would be a good problem and not a bad problem.

The Raptors got Anuboby at 23 which is unfair, and also means they have a lot less pressure to re-sign all 5 power forwards on the roster

The Pacers got a lot of good prospects despite having bad picks

The Mavericks lucked into Dennis Smith. I don't know why they didn't buy a second round pick, it seems like they could use all the chances they can get, the same goes for the Pistons and Cavs

The kings are stockpiling a lot of high ceiling low floor players, which is a nice change of pace

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

French Frank and Kris Taps are gonna be a fearsome duo, I tell you what.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Jarrett Allen is the player that gives off the most DeAndre Jordan vibes in the draft. I thought the Nets getting him at 22 was really good.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

Dejan Bimble posted:

I like the Lakers' draft aside from Lonzo, Kuzma and Hart both measure well and are skilled and multipositional. Bryant is a whatever swing at someone who might absorb some of those center minutes that right now all belong to Zubac and Tarik Black

John Hammond took exactly the right players for Orlando, in Isaac and Iwundu who fell about 12 picks further than he should have, based on talent and potential. They need an all NBA player, and Isaac had the clearest path, of anyone available to them at 6. The fit with Gordon long term is a problem, but having two very good players at the same position would be a good problem and not a bad problem.

The Raptors got Anuboby at 23 which is unfair, and also means they have a lot less pressure to re-sign all 5 power forwards on the roster

The Pacers got a lot of good prospects despite having bad picks

The Mavericks lucked into Dennis Smith. I don't know why they didn't buy a second round pick, it seems like they could use all the chances they can get, the same goes for the Pistons and Cavs

The kings are stockpiling a lot of high ceiling low floor players, which is a nice change of pace

Teams are always trying to repeat their own pasts, for better or (usually) worse. The Magic had a successful period where they played 2 PFs and that's probably what they're trying to emulate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

straight up brolic posted:

Jarrett Allen is the player that gives off the most DeAndre Jordan vibes in the draft. I thought the Nets getting him at 22 was really good.

Was Jordan that skinny coming out of school?

• Locked thread