Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

zoux posted:

Was Jordan that skinny coming out of school?

And also, is Jarrett terrible at shooting free throws?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr

Dexo posted:

Bernstein is really outchea carrying water for this deal.

I'm not even tuning into their show today because I know it will just annoy me.

Edit: And I say that as someone who has a higher tolerance for Bernstein than most.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

iamsosmrt posted:

I could be a homer about this, but I don't even know if it should be considered "outside" at this point. They have a reasonable shot at the playoffs pending health, largely due to the East going from being a dumpster fire to a disaster this offseason (Bulls and Pacers set to take huge steps backwards, other teams not in position to make much noise). Anyway, they won 28 games last year, it wouldn't be insane if they won 35-40 this year, especially if they do sign a decent veteran.

Ask Wolves fans about this

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

fishing with the fam posted:

I'm not even tuning into their show today because I know it will just annoy me.

Edit: And I say that as someone who has a higher tolerance for Bernstein than most.

I like Bernstein when he's just shooting the poo poo and having fun, or clowning on Penn State crazies but whoo boy can he get annoying real quick. Goff has done wonders to keep him in the funny fun having part of his personality

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

pubic works project posted:

I think brolic is referring to his ability to act in bad insurance commercials

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

morestuff posted:

Sixers play in the East, tho.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

ChickenMedium posted:

Sixers play in the East, tho.

41 wins got you the 8 seed in both conferences.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

https://twitter.com/lukebornn/status/878138590517014528

Our stat nerd is happy so I guess he liked our draft

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I'm actually kind of hoping the Celtics don't get Paul George or Hayward, not out of malice, just cuz I think it'd be funnier if the West just kept getting stronger and stronger until it became an even more insane deathmatch on one side. Can you imagine the balance if Jimmy and PG both go west. even funnier if Houston gets Lowry back.

p.s. I'd totally do coke with Quinn Snyder

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

morestuff posted:

Please don't, I'd rather not talk about it

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

straight up brolic posted:

Jarrett Allen is the player that gives off the most DeAndre Jordan vibes in the draft. I thought the Nets getting him at 22 was really good.

If he can get more aggressive I think he is going to be very good

pubic works project posted:

lmao your new av and text

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

I just mean Allen is VERY lovely right now but super athletic and long and runs the court well and he is a good dude. He actually has much more offensive upside than DJ, which is why he was late first instead of second.

I think he'll figure it out

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
trey lyles lol

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

DeimosRising posted:

Teams are always trying to repeat their own pasts, for better or (usually) worse. The Magic had a successful period where they played 2 PFs and that's probably what they're trying to emulate.

When?

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

morestuff posted:

To be fair, the Sixers were already touted for playing pretty solid defense last year.

PantsFreeZone
May 31, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
somebody tell me about BAM in two paragraphs or less please

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oh I didn't see this posted yet but the Spurs made a qualifying offer to Jonathan Simmons yesterday ($1.6m) so they're going to at least take a shot at keeping him.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

iamsosmrt posted:

To be fair, the Sixers were already touted for playing pretty solid defense last year.

Playing two rookies big minutes probably won't help that.

Philly should be a lot of fun to watch next year but expecting to completely revamp the team with a bunch of 20-year-olds and a 31-game superstar and win 41 feels a bit much. Indiana and Chicago probably take a step back but Miami, Charlotte and Detroit are all there waiting

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Dejan Bimble posted:

I like the Lakers' draft aside from Lonzo, Kuzma and Hart both measure well and are skilled and multipositional. Bryant is a whatever swing at someone who might absorb some of those center minutes that right now all belong to Zubac and Tarik Black

I assume Lopez is gonna take up most of the minutes at center

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
like what the gently caress is connelly even doing, this front office's only strength is scouting

why wouldn't you have traded chandler and gallo before the trade deadline since it's obvious this team is nowhere close to competing, and instead trade nurk

instead it's trey lyles and and the fuckin' 24th pick, and now we have like 35 power forwards and 22 shooting guards

wooo can't wait for another 36-40 win season :suicide:

ex post facho fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jun 23, 2017

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

PantsFreeZone posted:

somebody tell me about BAM in two paragraphs or less please

Big and strong and defensive minded but not great at shot blocking

His name should be Bam

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

morestuff posted:

Philly should be a lot of fun to watch next year but expecting to completely revamp the team with a bunch of 20-year-olds and a 31-game superstar and win 41 feels a bit much. Indiana and Chicago probably take a step back but Miami, Charlotte and Detroit are all there waiting

I'm being an optimist here. It's not unprecedented though, but that's how some of the greatest players came into the league. Obviously, if these two could come in and lead them to a playoff, the city would go apeshit and we'd have a real potential contender on our hands.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

straight up brolic posted:

Jarrett Allen is the player that gives off the most DeAndre Jordan vibes in the draft. I thought the Nets getting him at 22 was really good.

If you're gonna take a flier on someone as a developmental prospect a raw tall dude who blocks tons of shots is a pretty good place to invest, yeah

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

MourningView posted:

If you're gonna take a flier on someone as a developmental prospect a raw tall dude who blocks tons of shots is a pretty good place to invest, yeah

can't teach height
can't teach hops
can't teach wingspan

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

morestuff posted:

If Embiid plays 1600+ minutes next year I think they will be .500, which is a playoff berth. If he doesn't, I don't think they get there, I just don't expect Simmons and Fultz to be that big of positive players at first. You never know though.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

The Glumslinger posted:

Oh man, I completely forgot about Brook Lopez. That team is going to be as weird as a beard.

Zach Lowe said, in podcast form, that the Celtics didn't want Jimmy Butler and intuited that all rumors about it were Danny Ainge bullshit. They're always on the cusp of getting somebody. Just wait, he's going to do it

People are murmuring that Millsap isn't coming back to Atlanta. I wonder where he's going, if that's the case.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

ex post facho posted:

like what the gently caress is connelly even doing, this front office's only strength is scouting

why wouldn't you have traded chandler and gallo before the trade deadline since it's obvious this team is nowhere close to competing, and instead trade nurk

instead it's trey lyles and and the fuckin' 24th pick, and now we have like 35 power forwards and 22 shooting guards

wooo can't wait for another 36-40 win season :suicide:

Sounds like they struck out trading for Butler, struck out trading for Bledsoe.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Ramadu posted:

the one off of I-19 from nogaes to tucson? that poo poo is nuts. I'm a fat white guy and i got yanked out of the car and they basically stripped my car looking for weed cause a dog thought it was there. I aso saw a bunch of other times when going through there when they were yanking mexicans out at gunpoint and poo poo, it was horrifying. I was aways unhappy when my job had me going through there because of how miserable that poo poo is.

Yeah,that's the one. I was really nervous going through it because sometimes they get really pushy about what you're doing and I was really nervous they weren't going to like "listening to podcasts" at 2:00 AM.

Dejan Bimble posted:

I like the Lakers' draft aside from Lonzo, Kuzma and Hart both measure well and are skilled and multipositional. Bryant is a whatever swing at someone who might absorb some of those center minutes that right now all belong to Zubac and Tarik Black

John Hammond took exactly the right players for Orlando, in Isaac and Iwundu who fell about 12 picks further than he should have, based on talent and potential. They need an all NBA player, and Isaac had the clearest path, of anyone available to them at 6. The fit with Gordon long term is a problem, but having two very good players at the same position would be a good problem and not a bad problem.

The Raptors got Anuboby at 23 which is unfair, and also means they have a lot less pressure to re-sign all 5 power forwards on the roster

The Pacers got a lot of good prospects despite having bad picks

The Mavericks lucked into Dennis Smith. I don't know why they didn't buy a second round pick, it seems like they could use all the chances they can get, the same goes for the Pistons and Cavs

The kings are stockpiling a lot of high ceiling low floor players, which is a nice change of pace

The only person the Lakers kept from the last front office was Ryan West and other than Lonzo those were all very much the style of picks he made (which isn't surprising, I doubt Johnson had the time to dive into game footage of Kyle Kuzma, I mean I didn't and I barely have anything to do at all in life).

The Blazers draft was the hardest for me to understand.

The Glumslinger posted:

I guess there really isn't a reason to shut him down in February this year when the Lakers are already mathematically eliminated from the playoffs.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Metapod posted:

lmao your new av and text

hahaha I'm glad you like it!

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

paternity suitor posted:

Selling 2nd rounders happens enough that I'm willing to accept that there are reasons it makes sense that fans can't understand. It's not a video game. It could be as simple as the team doesn't feel like they can appropriately handle that many young players and they couldn't trade them for more picks so they sold them. It could be a lot of things that we don't know about so really who cares? Mostly tho Hinkie did it so it is Hinkie Approved

Bulls make like $80 million a year in PROFIT. Their franchise value has shot up to over $2 billion in the last decade. Now if this was a team that was deep in the luxury tax and needed some relief, I can understand. If it was a really late 2nd round pick, I can maybe get that too. But this was a relatively valuable 2nd round pick. Valuable enough that the World Champs paid $3.5 million for it for a player they wanted.

If the Bulls didn't like anyone in that spot, trade it. Memphis was able to trade 35. Houston traded 45. Considering the Bulls have no 2nd round pick in 2018 or 2019, trading for a future one might not have been a bad idea.

The selling of that pick actually makes me angrier than the poo poo sandwich they got from Minnesota for Butler.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
The Bulls should have realized that if the best team in the league wants one of your draft picks you should probably keep it

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Looks like Fultz is more optimistic than I am.
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/19719422/markelle-fultz-says-philadelphia-76ers-playoff-team

I'll reserve a real prediction until free agency though. As things look today, I like their outlook, but plenty of crazy things can happen between now and November.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I hope this becomes the new 20 pounds of muscle in the offseason.

https://twitter.com/EarlKSneed/status/878342645252321280

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

tanglewood1420 posted:

Philly can't really take any more rookies reasonably

Fultz / McConnell
Bayless / Stauskas / Henderson
Covington / TLC / Anderson
Simmons / Saric
Embiid / Holmes / Okafor

That gets you to 13 players already. They also want to bring over Korkmaz this season (Coangelo confirmed in the post-draft press conference) which would make it 14. They are also for sure going to want to sign some veteran rotation players as they have an outside chance at making the playoffs in the east (pending health obviously), which would be huge for the franchise. Plus they've already announced some undrafted guys they are bringing to Summer League/camp. It's a fairly dumb thing to get mad about.

Not that it makes a huge difference, but Henderson's contract is not guaranteed.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
Fultz's best case scenario next season is to be dead level BPM player I think. His offence could be above average but he will need to adjust to the NBA 3-pt line and his defence is going to absolutely suck in his rookie season. He has potential to be a good defender eventually, but displayed a lot of bad habits in college that will take a while to iron out even if he does commit and put the effort it.

Simmons I have no idea, he's such a unique player. I could see his passing, transition game and rebounding translate immediately and I think he's more likely to be merely below average defensively as opposed to my flat out terrible expectation for Fultz. However, if his jump shot hasn't improved whilst sitting out (as it magically did somehow with Embiid) and he can't get to the rim (though I think he will be able to decently, especially in switches) then he will suck badly as a rookie.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Dexo posted:

Lmao Nirwad. KC Johnson is on the radio giving GarPax the wild dickflute solo.

Dexo posted:

Bernstein is really outchea carrying water for this deal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zLfCnGVeL4

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

https://twitter.com/670TheScore/status/878310309236060160
what is scouting

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Dejan Bimble posted:

People are murmuring that Millsap isn't coming back to Atlanta. I wonder where he's going, if that's the case.

I wish Milsap was a little younger and a free agent next summer.

Niwrad posted:

I hope this becomes the new 20 pounds of muscle in the offseason.

https://twitter.com/EarlKSneed/status/878342645252321280

48 inch vert according to his Lakers workout. Next season's Mavs are probably going to have more dunks than any Dirk era team. The only position they won't have someone who can do cool dunks is the 2 guard.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

iamsosmrt posted:

Looks like Fultz is more optimistic than I am.
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/19719422/markelle-fultz-says-philadelphia-76ers-playoff-team

I'll reserve a real prediction until free agency though. As things look today, I like their outlook, but plenty of crazy things can happen between now and November.

The players are obviously going to say this so I'm not gonna get on Fultz, but it'll be really funny when people actually predict this. They're gonna be bad. The three centerpieces of the team are a rookie they just drafted, another rookie who just missed the entire season with an injury and is potentially playing a brand new position (they may rethink that with Fultz, I dunno), and a center with a long injury history who has played like 30 games in 3 years. People always want these super young teams to be good before they are. Look at Minnesota last year, when everyone had them as a playoff team. Don't confuse "promising" with "actually good"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

They ran out of players Paxson saw do well in the tournament. Couldn't stay up for the Oregon west coast games, so no interest in Bell

• Locked thread