Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

What really baffles me is how these irreconciliable visions failed to be ironed out from the get go. This was the case with Garth Edwards too, supposedly.

I assume these young directors just go nuts when they get the Star Wars phone call and basically say the most inoffensive things so they get the job. Or Lucasfilms is just bad at communicating expectations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Tars Tarkas posted:

It will probably be an editorial mess like Rogue One was, but IMHO they at least pulled that off into a passable film I like better than Episode 7. Multiple books will be written about this movie, weird thinkpieces, oral histories, lots of things to consume, many might be better than the film itself. Or not, who knows?!

Probably a lot less than if it was for another movie. Force Awakens was supposed to have a fully detailed making-of book about its conception and development and filming, but even the issues with that meant it got shelved by Lucasfilm. There's no way they'll let anything come out about the development of something that's an even bigger mess like this, especially since it would reflect badly on the brand.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
The integrity of a brand with Star Wars of all things' merchandising and EU needs to be preserved at all costs.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Kevin Powell, a music journalist, is suing the producers of All Eyez on Me. Saying that they stole extensively from interviews he conducted with Shakur back in the day without crediting or compensating him.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Neo Rasa posted:

The integrity of a brand with Star Wars of all things' merchandising and EU needs to be preserved at all costs.

Lucasfilm has spent the last 20 years relentlessly promoting the idea that the prequels are actually great and Jar Jar is actually a beloved character so I don't think it's incongruent to assume they wouldn't want to talk about a development of a movie whose main message would be "Boy, we really hosed up badly."

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Beachcomber posted:

What I don't understand is that Lord and Miller have basically always delivered financially successful work, while Kennedy has produced some real failures. I guess Disney couldn't afford to alienate Kennedy and Kasdan? This is going to be one of those film what-ifs unless Han Solo Origins is a completely perfect movie.

I'm almost certain it's going to be because L&M has jokes that are meta, break the 4th wall, or poo poo on the franchise itself.

Star Wars is allowed to be goofy, but has to take itself seriously, and never self aware. Especially to nerds that have been helming it from the very beginning.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
The last line of the Cannon Films documentary had me laughing for like 15 minutes straight, it's just so goddamn amazing.

Just remembering it gives me the chuckles.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

e: wrong thread

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jun 23, 2017

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Thundercracker posted:

I'm almost certain it's going to be because L&M has jokes that are meta, break the 4th wall, or poo poo on the franchise itself.

Star Wars is allowed to be goofy, but has to take itself seriously, and never self aware. Especially to nerds that have been helming it from the very beginning.

It might be that. I also read an article that said they were encouraging the actors to improvise, and that it was changing the story somewhat. No idea if this site is reputable.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I just remembered Donald Glover is in the film and now I'm hella mad at Kennedy for denying us some Glover improvs

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Chairman Capone posted:

Lucasfilm has spent the last 20 years relentlessly promoting the idea that the prequels are actually great and Jar Jar is actually a beloved character

Unlike all those other movie studios who are always telling people that their movies suck and their characters are terrible.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

The MSJ posted:

Apparently the reason Van Damme was fired from playing the Predator (in the movie Predator) is that he wanted the Predator to kickbox: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/predator-oral-history-arnold-schwarzenegger-film-1014132

I just read an interview with Shane Black talking about the reason his role was cut down and why he dies in the first 7 minutes of Predator. Apparently they cast him with the ulterior motive of having him doctor the script a little and when he refused because they only hired to act he got axed.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
For Golan Globus Ninja movies you really really need to see 9 Deaths of the Ninja with Sho Kosugi playing a goofy ninja named Spike Shinobi. It's up there with Chuck Norris's Firewalker (also a Cannon film) for what the gently caress kind of action movie did I just see?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faW5L_3OkwA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3_4en0N9oU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Transformers 5 is looking at just around a $50 million opening weekend which would be a 50% drop compared to Transformers 4. And less than what Transformers 2 made on its opening day.

Paramount has gotta be praying for the Chinese to save this thing.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

China is going to make about $300 million on it, I read earlier today.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

China is going to make about $300 million on it, I read earlier today.

They need to hope for more than that since that's what Transformers 4 made over there. Gotta make up the 125mil decrease in the domestic take somewhere else.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Still disappointing for Transformers. They'll still make a 6th and Bay will be back though it's not necessary but I want it.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice
The only reason Transformers does so well in China is because it was one of the first western cartoon series allowed in China back in the 80s when it was economically liberalizing. Transformers and transforner toys were kids first taste of western capitalism.

Anyway, my point is that nostalgia train is gonna run dry sooner or later.

Unless they make the next Transformers movie a Journey to the West crossover or something. Then they'll make a giillion dollars.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Beast Wars: Transformers 6

This summer, Truck is Monkey.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice

SomeJazzyRat posted:

Optimus Primate

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

The Beast Machines storyline would probably be more fitting, seeing as how Beast Wars was more about time travel and poo poo like that, whereas BM had the whole "metal vs. organic" theme going and Primal and his crew basically became eco-terrorists in response to Megatron's industrialized despotism.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

ruddiger posted:

The Beast Machines storyline would probably be more fitting, seeing as how Beast Wars was more about time travel and poo poo like that, whereas BM had the whole "metal vs. organic" theme going and Primal and his crew basically became eco-terrorists in response to Megatron's industrialized despotism.

And then FOX news leads a crusade against it because Megatron just wants to Make Cybertron Great Again.

Also I just checked to remind myself... the first Bayformers film came out 10 years ago. The Nostalgia well is pretty much drained on this iteration.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqmbe7EjcWc

In The Assignment. Michelle Rodriguez plays "Frank," a victim of a nonconsensual gender reassignment surgery performed by Sigourney Weaver. She sets out for revenge against the gangsters who double crossed her.

I'm not making this up. http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/movies/la-ca-mn-sunday-conversation-walter-hill-20170331-story.html

quote:

“The Assignment,” which opens Friday, is perhaps his most audacious production yet. A pulpy comic-book thriller about a rogue surgeon (Sigourney Weaver) who performs a vengeful gender reassignment operation on a hit man named Frank Kitchen (Michelle Rodriguez), it’s somehow also Hill’s first film with women in the lead roles.

An identity-politics powder keg that sharply divided audiences at last year’s Toronto International Film Festival, “The Assignment”’ also betrays its creator’s predilection for the lurid and the low, to which Hill always offers the same response: “Guilty.”

"Yes, I'm very sympathetic to her character. And I'm very sympathetic to Frank in the end. He dedicates himself to a higher path. By being given the body of a woman, he becomes a better man."

Whaaatt

Taintrunner fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jun 24, 2017

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

FilthyImp posted:

Also I just checked to remind myself... the first Bayformers film came out 10 years ago. The Nostalgia well is pretty much drained on this iteration.
That just means there's a whole new mountain of nostalgia to mine, and people can get upset that idiot filmmakers aren't respecting the honest and true lore of Dickbot the Blender Guy.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

SomeJazzyRat posted:

I hate you for making me remember that

(TRUKK NOT MUNKY, not Beast Wars, Beast Wars owned)

Thundercracker posted:

Optimus Primate

that's Optimus Primal, tyvm

Taintrunner posted:

In The Assignment. Michelle Rodriguez plays "Frank," a victim of a nonconsensual gender reassignment surgery performed by Sigourney Weaver. She sets out for revenge against the gangsters who double crossed her.

this movie looks absolutely loving bonkers and I'm actually kinda hype

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I saw The Assignment a month or so ago. Tony Shalhoub, Sigourney Weaver, and Michelle Rodriguez are in it and it is a weird loving movie. I'm still not sure if I liked it.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Taintrunner posted:

I'm not making this up. http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/movies/la-ca-mn-sunday-conversation-walter-hill-20170331-story.html

Whaaatt

Owns owns owns lol

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

SomeJazzyRat posted:

Yes. I also still want planet sized Unicron and Primus with Prime somehow taking both of their faces.

The Cube is life giving, the Staff calls forth death, and the Matrix resurrects.

I wonder if the Knights are akin to the Primes and the Fallen

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

this movie looks absolutely loving bonkers and I'm actually kinda hype

It's directed by a dude with absolutely zero understanding of the problems trans people face and it absolutely revels in this while pretending to be doing trans people a favor

Also here's Michelle Rodriguez in prosthetics, fake nose and beard and all

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Taintrunner posted:

It's directed by a dude with absolutely zero understanding of the problems trans people face

i mean, you say this, but he just kind of casually drops in that interview that he feels like we live in a gender-fluid society and that that should be obvious to everybody

it's got me curious, to say the least

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Taintrunner posted:

The action remake of The Skin I Live In.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
Hasn't that movie been posted in here like 5 times now since it keeps getting pushed back?

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Peanut President posted:

Hasn't that movie been posted in here like 5 times now since it keeps getting pushed back?

Yeah, it's gone through several name changes too

Hellbunny
Dec 24, 2008

I'm not bad, I'm just misunderstood.

Taintrunner posted:

It's directed by a dude with absolutely zero understanding of the problems trans people face and it absolutely revels in this while pretending to be doing trans people a favor

Also here's Michelle Rodriguez in prosthetics, fake nose and beard and all

In what would is that not a rad image? Equaling gender to makeup is pretty powerful as a symbol.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Masculine Rodriguez looks like someone who would have a beef with John Wick.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Taintrunner posted:

Whaaatt

Walter Hill owns, I'm looking forward to this.

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

Neo Rasa posted:

Oh also besides all of this schlock and goofy dogshit Cannon is also responsible for Runaway Train which is a legit really good movie and began life as a Kurosawa film.

Don't forget Barfly. Written by Charles Bukowski and starring Mickey Rourke and Faye Dunaway. Real good stuff.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Peanut President posted:

IIRC The Assignment actually did get very very very quietly and limitedly released in March.

What were all the titles it had? I know:

Tomboy
Tomboy: A TALE OF REVENGE
(re)Assignment
The Assignment

Any others?

Speaking of movies like this that got a quiet release, I forget what was the name of the one where Antonio Banderas plays a cosmetic surgeon who kidnaps the guy that sexually assaulted his daughter, forcibly transitions them and then sexually assaults them?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Neo Rasa posted:

Speaking of movies like this that got a quiet release, I forget what was the name of the one where Antonio Banderas plays a cosmetic surgeon who kidnaps the guy that sexually assaulted his daughter, forcibly transitions them and then sexually assaults them?

That's The Skin I live in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Guy Mann posted:

I think it was also slightly overshadowed by The Book of Henry coming out, being a batshit insane mess, and then people remembering that the guy who made it is the guy who is helming Episode 9.

That said I'm mostly just baffled about them replacing Lord and Miller with loving Ron Howard of all things. Boomers just keep ruining everything.

People keep talking about how insane Book Of Henry is. I've seen the trailer, but has anyone who has seen the movie actually posted a detailed breakdown? I'd be interested in reading that.

• Locked thread