Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Oxyclean posted:

Fire 1 3 and 4 feel kind of similar, one is faster, the other stacks you instantly and the last you just need a buff to cast. I'm not really sure why Enoch doesn't just make your fire 3 better or whatever, or fire 1 and 3 aren't merged/upgrades. Blizzard is basically the same, granted they added the umbral heart thing. Does Blizzard 1 even come into the rotation anymore? Why is blizzard 2 still around? Why is there one ability to warp to ley lines and another to warp to a player? (Although I think most BLMs are going to agree between the lines was a poor way to solve leyline problems)

Verstone and fire exist not to be similar to aero and thunder, but Jolt. I guess I see what you're saying when you say that RDM is all about making your mana bars go up, but I find that's what makes it interesting. Almost every cast is a decision tree depending on procs and your mana.

B1 gets used during Umbral if you hosed up Enochian, or as a replacement for T3 if it has more than 18 or so seconds left on its Thunder timer (for example, if you used a Thundercloud proc late in the Astral phase). It's not common, but it does have a use case unlike the old T2.

I guess B2 might be useful for soloing because of the Bind effect?

Also I like Between the Lines, it's really nice being able to AM over to a player and then BtL back to my lines. Making them be the same ability would requires AM to have a 3-second cooldown, which would be hilarious but also really overpowered.

vOv fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jun 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Harrow posted:

Oh, so to clarify: I don't have to complete each dungeon to unlock it for a roulette (again, outside of expert or mentor), I just have to accept the quest that unlocks it? Well poo poo, that'll save me some time. Here I was thinking I'd have to set aside some time once I hit 70 to grind out completing all the 50/60 dungeons so that queuing with me wouldn't be a pain in the rear end for other players.

You usually have to go 2-3 steps into the quest to actually unlock the dungeon but that's like a minute at most

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Meiteron posted:

If I was going to fix all this I'd probably add a couple options off gcd for increasing gauge (having onslaught build gauge instead of taking it would be very nice) and I would either cap the stance penalty so it wouldn't apply at 50 or under, or get rid of the penalty entirely. Essentially, my position is gently caress Off Game I want to stance dance and you should not be trying to stop me.

Yeah, this. Make Onslaught generate 20 gauge instead of costing it, and either remove the stance dance penalty (from everyone, it's dumb on PLD too) or buff tank stance finishers so they're actually worth using.

And yes, please make Enhanced Infuriate not literal completely useless garbage. If it lowered the cooldown by 10s it would actually work.

While generally I feel like SB really nailed it in terms of story developments and dungeon design (nearly always mechanically, and always aesthetically), the class balance is poo poo. :(

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jun 23, 2017

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

You usually have to go 2-3 steps into the quest to actually unlock the dungeon but that's like a minute at most

Still way better than having to bug people in FC chat to run a bunch of dungeons with me just to open them for my roulette. Cool.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Poops Mcgoots posted:

Don't worry, I've also played SAM and NIN (yes, hi, it's me, a weeaboo) and they're also fairly straightforward once you've run a couple dungeons with them. Play whatever you think is raddest.

Gotta stick to RDM for me then, because being the DPS that makes a sick loving save with Vercures/Verraises, rare as it is, feels good as heck.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Also can I just say again how loving amazing the last boss of the 67 dungeon is, and can I have his weapon please stares meaningfully at avatar

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

I was soloing some open-world stuff and I almost died until a nearby RDM double-Vercured me and I really wish I could've commed them somehow for it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

Also can I just say again how loving amazing the last boss of the 67 dungeon is, and can I have his weapon please stares meaningfully at avatar

A tiny version of him is the rare minion drop for that dungeon. I got it on my first run. :allears:

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

vOv posted:

I was soloing some open-world stuff and I almost died until a nearby RDM double-Vercured me and I really wish I could've commed them somehow for it.
If it was me I would have let you die and then verraised you for the achievement. You got lucky

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

A tiny version of him is the rare minion drop for that dungeon. I got it on my first run. :allears:

g... gasp?!?!?!?!

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Ciaphas posted:

God, yes. I have wanted one of those drat Magitek hammer things for myself for ARR and HW, and if you're not going to give us that, I will take the chainsawgun instead.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

vOv posted:

Healing people in the world, either for my own benefit (helping people doing FATEs with me) or just because I like being nice, was great while leveling as RDM.

For all my talk about personal RDM issues it was a much sicker leveling experience than BLM likely would have been. A complaint I had in HW was that it looked super goofy when the story big bad would say "now draw steel, Warrior of Light!" and my dude would just... pull out a staff and kinda hold it nonthreateningly. Pulling out a sword and pointing it at someone's throat/crotch is a lot more cinematic and badass. That plus the curing thing makes me not at all regret my decision to go to 70 as RDM.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Countblanc posted:

For all my talk about personal RDM issues it was a much sicker leveling experience than BLM likely would have been. A complaint I had in HW was that it looked super goofy when the story big bad would say "now draw steel, Warrior of Light!" and my dude would just... pull out a staff and kinda hold it nonthreateningly. Pulling out a sword and pointing it at someone's throat/crotch is a lot more cinematic and badass. That plus the curing thing makes me not at all regret my decision to go to 70 as RDM.

I did all of ARR as an Arcanist/Summoner and my dude would pull out a goddamned book.

Honestly even if I end up switching to Black Mage or another job at some point, I'll probably do all the story stuff as Red Mage because, well, pulling out a sweet sword and looking like a swashbuckler is way cooler from a story perspective. Really I just have an easier time believing that the Warrior of Light is a Red Mage, from a story perspective, than I do some of the other jobs I enjoy.

Also Contre Sixte is the coolest spell animation in the whole game. Just stab your sword into the ground and do a kick-jump off of it, that's rad as gently caress.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jun 23, 2017

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Harrow posted:

I did all of ARR as an Arcanist/Summoner and my dude would pull out a goddamned book.

Honestly even if I end up switching to Black Mage or another job at some point, I'll probably do all the story stuff as Red Mage because, well, pulling out a sweet sword and looking like a swashbuckler is way cooler from a story perspective. Really I just have an easier time believing that the Warrior of Light is a Red Mage, from a story perspective, than I do some of the other jobs I enjoy.

Also Contre Sixte is the coolest spell animation in the whole game. Just stab your sword into the ground and do a kick-jump off of it, that's rad as gently caress.

The funniest thing about playing a Scholar is When Lyse asks you to spar you rush at her face with your book drawn. I can only assume the off-screen fight involved me flailing at her with my book until she got sad and left.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah cutscenes where you pulled out a book sucked, so glad I switched off smn. The worst weapon glamours too

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

The funniest thing about playing a Scholar is When Lyse asks you to spar you rush at her face with your book drawn. I can only assume the off-screen fight involved me flailing at her with my book until she got sad and left.

Now I'm imagining that scene with a Machinist. You want to spar? Sure, let me just get my loving gun ready real quick.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Playing an AST loses a lot of the dramatic tension in cut scenes, when I threateningly pull out my astroglobe. And then I sparkle the target to death like I'm Jubilee.

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe
Give em the ol razzle dazzle

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I thought slamming my dick in the door at the 70 trial yesterday was bad, but today a couple goons and I tried it and the healers were so bad that only one tank made it through the end of the meteor phase one time, and we didn't even make it to the last meteor drop multiple times. That was some shameful poo poo.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
You think pulling out entirely-inappropriate weapons is bad, try feeling emasculated when you have _an entirely appropriate tank weapon_ and instead of putting yourself in between Lethal Attack (fig. A) and Intended Victim (fig. B), you just stand there like a Numpty (fig. C).

The little bit of job-agnostic "I'm using my echo!" to ward off tempering at 67 was greatly appreciated.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jun 23, 2017

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Jinh posted:

Yeah cutscenes where you pulled out a book sucked, so glad I switched off smn. The worst weapon glamours too

Book club forever you damnable peasants

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Smacking monsters, primals and imperials with a book is the best part of this game.

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jun 23, 2017

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

cheetah7071 posted:

I and I assume every other dragoon in the game will commend any ranged DPS who stays in dragon sight range during dungeons, so that's a free way to pick up a few more

I am ignorant of most other DPS jobs, what is this and what does it do? :v:

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Galaga Galaxian posted:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Dragoon has a move called Dragon Sight. It has a range of 6 yalms (double melee range or so), and targets a party member. For the duration of the buff, the Dragoon gets a 10% damage buff and the other DPS gets a 5% damage buff, but only if they stay within 6 yalms. There's a red tether between them if they're close enough, so it's visually obvious.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Ah, neat. I guess I might have to not avoid Dragoons now.

Their bad attracts the AoEs you see...

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
To throw in another perspective on tank chat, even as a PLD I've noticed that I take a lot more damage now and that my HP ping pongs a lot with SCH's.

The loss of Foresight means that for CD rotations you're going to have to use Anticipation and a 30% increase of a chance of 20% damage reduction isn't as good as Foresight's guaranteed mitigation. (Said rotations being Foresight -> Rampart analog for PLD and DRK.)

Trash seems to hit really hard and Def/Mdef numbers have taken huge leaps and bounds from what they once were. I'm sure that some of it is that my gear isn't full 290/300 yet but I have no problems doing any bosses (and even being a Tank/Healer for most of the boss when the Healer messes up a mechanic and dies.)

So it'd be fair to say that in addition to all of the AoE dps nerfs they made also made trash actually hit worth something.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
Here's my hot take on WAR:

Every Stormblood WAR skill is garbage. This isn't the only problem, but most of it.

The charge move costs meter for some reason. I never want to use it for any reason, and since I can't infuriate outside of combat anymore I often can't anyway. The most easy feel-good kind of skill to hit out of the park on a crazy axe murderer feels like a complete burden.

I couldn't figure out why I would ever use Upheaval, then noticed it was off global and it's still loving garbage. It's just a more gauge efficient fell cleave like who even cares. I will never time it with Thrill of Battle on purpose so the bonus effect blows too.

Shake it off is notably the only tanking skill WAR picked up in SB and also pretty much worthless outside of special circumstances designed to make it worthwhile that don't exist yet.

Enhanced Infuriate takes the only satisfying cooldown alignment WAR has and throws it off to no benefit. Moreover, you can do 6 cleaves in a row but it can only benefit from 4 at most because two have to come before infuriate.

Inner Release is bafflingly only usable in Deliverance, even though it has tanking utility and could offer you the chance to keep Inner Beast up for 20s or whatever if it at least worked in Defiance.

They took a tank class, gave it no new tanking abilities, four throwaway skills and one good one you can't use while tanking, a draconian gauge switching punishment, and it still does less dps than a PLD for way more thought involved to even make it close.

Other questions:

Why does Unleashed cost beast gauge?
Why does Holmgang not even pull in trash mobs in dungeons anymore?
Why does Enhanced Infuriate say it reduces the cooldown per enemy hit, when it doesn't do that?
Why did bloodbath go away entirely?
Why does it feel like flash was the most important thing Warrior lost?

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I don't know if Bhavacakra is what I wanted as the strongest NIN attack I got (other than a duality AE I guess), but I suppose Dream Within a Dream ate up all the multiple slash moves.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Urianger, why?

:gonk:

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Shere posted:

Here's my hot take on WAR:

Every Stormblood WAR skill is garbage. This isn't the only problem, but most of it.

The charge move costs meter for some reason. I never want to use it for any reason, and since I can't infuriate outside of combat anymore I often can't anyway. The most easy feel-good kind of skill to hit out of the park on a crazy axe murderer feels like a complete burden.

I couldn't figure out why I would ever use Upheaval, then noticed it was off global and it's still loving garbage. It's just a more gauge efficient fell cleave like who even cares. I will never time it with Thrill of Battle on purpose so the bonus effect blows too.

Shake it off is notably the only tanking skill WAR picked up in SB and also pretty much worthless outside of special circumstances designed to make it worthwhile that don't exist yet.

Enhanced Infuriate takes the only satisfying cooldown alignment WAR has and throws it off to no benefit. Moreover, you can do 6 cleaves in a row but it can only benefit from 4 at most because two have to come before infuriate.

Inner Release is bafflingly only usable in Deliverance, even though it has tanking utility and could offer you the chance to keep Inner Beast up for 20s or whatever if it at least worked in Defiance.

They took a tank class, gave it no new tanking abilities, four throwaway skills and one good one you can't use while tanking, a draconian gauge switching punishment, and it still does less dps than a PLD for way more thought involved to even make it close.

Other questions:

Why does Unleashed cost beast gauge?
Why does Holmgang not even pull in trash mobs in dungeons anymore?
Why does Enhanced Infuriate say it reduces the cooldown per enemy hit, when it doesn't do that?
Why did bloodbath go away entirely?
Why does it feel like flash was the most important thing Warrior lost?

I agree with pretty much all of this. WAR just doesn't feel like a tank but is also missing the damage it needs to make it feel like a strong off-tank. It was pretty much in the right place at the end of heavensward and feels like a victim of the overall tank changes.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

vOv posted:

Also I like Between the Lines, it's really nice being able to AM over to a player and then BtL back to my lines. Making them be the same ability would requires AM to have a 3-second cooldown, which would be hilarious but also really overpowered.

If Aetherial Manipulation had a 3s cooldown, I would move through the world only by using AM.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You

How do I get this remarkable toy?

El Cid
Mar 17, 2005

What good is power when you're too wise to use it?
Grimey Drawer

Jinh posted:

As a SCH I loved in the mid-late HW quests when a fight would start and I, Alisae, Alphinaud, and Krile would all pull out our books. Nerd squad is go.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Does PLD's oath gauge have any effect besides fueling Sheltron/that other ability?

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

SirPhoebos posted:

Does PLD's oath gauge have any effect besides fueling Sheltron/that other ability?

Nope. It's pretty much just an artificial limiter on a now massively reduced cooldown Shelltron to prevent you from spamming it every time its off cooldown. Feel like Oath gauges should actually influence your Oaths passively, and give Sword Oath Holy Spirit some kind of Oath Gauge sink effect, opposite it's ability to build oath in Shield. As is, they might as well just remove the gauge and give Shelltron a longer cooldown again.

Skaw fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jun 23, 2017

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Urianger, why?

:gonk:

Koji Foxed, basically. The text in JP is more sincere.

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font

Givin posted:

How do I get this remarkable toy?

I just got it from the last MSQ in patch 3.4, An Ending to Mark a New Beginning.

Countblanc posted:

Healing people in the world, either for my own benefit (helping people doing FATEs with me) or just because I like being nice, was great while leveling as RDM.

I love pulling out my staff in these cutscenes as the thought of the WoL just bonking the enemy on head with a stick is quite entertaining to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

I think my favorite thing about Bard now is that I can force bad trashcan tanks who refuse to push buttons to use cooldowns between Nature's Minne and Palisade. The former of which only has a 45s cooldown. Spam that poo poo and make healers love you.