Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

e: ^^^ Yes. MGSV is STILL a great game, even after Konami tried to ruin it.

I have never played that game, but you are literally the first person I've ever seen with something negative to say about that game.

I dunno, shooting a grappling hook like spider-man actually sounds pretty bad, like Michael Jackson bad. Which is good!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Too Shy Guy posted:

I reviewed this yesterday. Short version is, it's one of the best-written and well-acted indie adventures out there. It's got a complex story running through a very interesting world that builds and builds without getting confusing or messy. The puzzles are pretty clever, but there's not a lot of exploration or flexibility; you're just playing through a very solid story. Overall it's one of the better point-and-click games I've played.

Has WadjetEye learned to let people adjust the window size yet or do you still have to play in a 400x400 window with literally no options menu to adjust sound or video?

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

kater posted:

Game rocks poo poo and you shouldn't be afraid of it. It doesn't really care if you fail the timers, just things happen that you wish didn't.

One of the ways you can run out of time is in a mission where you have to reach an evac zone. Anyone who hasn't reached the evac zone in time gets left behind (removed from your roster). Usually it's not a problem if you're not slow creeping, but on some missions the timers are too tight for anything but riskily aggressive play.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

So last year during the sale I was in the hospital (not a pityparty post).
Are daily deals gone on steam? Cause if so what the hell, that was the fun in the whole sale. :smith:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Zedd posted:

Are daily deals gone on steam? Cause if so what the hell, that was the fun in the whole sale. :smith:

Makes it a chiller experience overall. Avoids people holding off till the last day on whatever hasn't had a daily. I don't miss it.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

DaveKap posted:

It has the loop. You go into a dungeon, you kill things, you get RNG loot, you use the RNG loot to get better. Like, even the trash on the floor can be melted down into useful components needed to make your not-trash loot better. It's an extremely tight loop and it works great. The fact that it's an ARPG doesn't necessarily have to do with the request. I'll take action, turn based, or whatever else there is; the important factor is you go out, kill things for loot, and use the loot to make it so you can go out and kill more things for more loot. In Diablo 3, those dungeons are the rifts and greater rifts, with greater rift levels being the thing you climb to feel more powerful.

Unless you're getting caught on the "crawling" pat of "dungeon crawling" which I never actually felt was supposed to dictate the literal speed of your traversal through a dungeon. I always interpreted it more in the sense that you are constantly exploring and discovering the entirety of a dungeon, crawling over it, to find every nook and cranny for as much loot as possible. Anyway, I'm agnostic to how quickly the actual dungeon traversal is. Crawling, running, doesn't matter if the loop feels good and tight. That's all!

FTL, player unknown, binding of issac all kind of scratch that itch for me. I'd love to hear what other people come up with

Try battle brothers maybe?

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Zedd posted:

mods please, the title

joe football
Dec 22, 2012
How are the Zero Escape games for someone who really liked the Danganronpas(the first more then the second, which got a little too anime)?

It's $51 for the bundle which doesn't feel very steam sale-y, got the Danganronpa bundle for $36, but I can maybe come to to accept that you need to pay up for the top-tier mystery VNs :homebrew:

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

Rinkles posted:

Makes it a chiller experience overall. Avoids people holding off till the last day on whatever hasn't had a daily. I don't miss it.
I mean I get it from a certain PoV, but steam/valve really has been laying on its laurels for a while now haven't they?

I had some games that are now 5+ years old that'd i'd snag up instantly for 5 bucks, but the first time they went on sale they where :10bux: and they 5 years later still discount it to :10bux:.

Zedd fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jun 24, 2017

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Zedd posted:

They executed the fun because the internet is populated by assholes.

nerox
May 20, 2001
So all deals that are going to be active are active? I don't understand how the steam summer sale works now

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

there are no price changes from what you see now

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

please god someone add that to the thread title

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I honestly didn't know, sorry for asking. :v: Just been out of the loop for a while due to a WoW binge (I'm not to proud to admit that).

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

FTL, player unknown, binding of issac all kind of scratch that itch for me. I'd love to hear what other people come up with

Try battle brothers maybe?
Yep, beaten FTL and BoI... no idea why you'd put PUBG in there though lol. My friend recently gifted me Battle Brothers and I played it for a bit but didn't grab me very tightly.
That said, I did mention in my original post "that isn't a rogue-like or rogue-lite" so, close, but not quite.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

its not just you people have been asking about daily deals constantly

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
The deals are amazing.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Awesome! posted:

its not just you people have been asking about daily deals constantly

Daily Deals have been gone for over a year. Like, you would need to have not loaded Steam since 2015 to somehow not be aware of this blisteringly obvious fact, and yet it's at least thrice a page

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

DaveKap posted:

Yep, beaten FTL and BoI... no idea why you'd put PUBG in there though lol. My friend recently gifted me Battle Brothers and I played it for a bit but didn't grab me very tightly.
That said, I did mention in my original post "that isn't a rogue-like or rogue-lite" so, close, but not quite.

I put pubg in there because my loving friends like looting more than shooting

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

They killed the flash sales and daily deals around the time that refunds became available on Steam. Probably so they don't have to deal with a rush of people exchanging the game for the cheaper price every 8-12 hours during the sale.

In general, at this point the steam sales are convenient because everything is on sale, but if you pay attention to other distributors like gog, amazon, and greenmangaming you can get better deals throughout the year.

joe football posted:

How are the Zero Escape games for someone who really liked the Danganronpas(the first more then the second, which got a little too anime)?

It's $51 for the bundle which doesn't feel very steam sale-y, got the Danganronpa bundle for $36, but I can maybe come to to accept that you need to pay up for the top-tier mystery VNs :homebrew:

I like both franchises, and I think the Zero Escape titles are superior. Fewer anime cliches (except a few that are included just to be subverted). The plots are pretty crazy but are internally consistent in a way that rewards paying close attention. It's a little weird to see 999 on platforms other than the DS, because they built the dual screen system into the narrative in a way that really hit home in the finale and I don't know how well the new ending sticks the landing. I'd still get it. $60 for 3 good-to-great VNs is worth it.

Bedlam
Feb 15, 2008

Angry thoughts

I went ahead and bit down on a GMG loot box with the coupon they emailed me. I kept toybox racing, here are the others if anyone wants them; please post if you grabbed one.

SCRAP GARDEN: 7RBD3-VJT9A-DQYGK

BETTER LATE THAN DEAD: IH5KJ-RFR7F-40X7C

AIR CONFLICTS SECRET WAR: KNEAD-I33DJ-MYDZI

CRANIUM CONUNDRUM: LPL2E-2JN0I-H9658

THE FIRST SPARK: A52C0-ZV7YT-LJKC2

POST MASTER: P2PC0-MJ64F-03AL2

INCANDESCENT: 9LAKX-66Q7J-32H2T

SAVE JESUS: GYGF9-Q4BWJ-3W8E5

HYPOSPHERE: 66AZG-5EC33-E4GJ3

THREE DEAD ZED: QIRKL-ED8AF-ZPI6T

CYBERHUNT: R7ZZG-QAKW2-NGMRG

PIZZA EXPRESS STEAM: Z6L4P-WPZET-3Y8D6

JUMPING TANK: HYWD2-RM0B4-HVKG7

TRACKS OF TRIUMPH INDUSTRIAL ZONE: BVHX2-QXXV0-68808

SPELLWEAVER VAMPIRE OVERLORD DECK STEAM: 6P6YF-WLB02-9IAT2

DEATH BY GAMESHOW: R0MND-7I67Z-N0JMV

WINEXY: CLTCI-X4BDR-TTKPB

HOVEN THE SAGES SPINEL: DWNXI-KN9G7-0D0RV

CORPORATE LIFESTYLE SIMULATOR: GCG9I-VCI8V-W7W0A

LIVEZA DEATH OF THE EARTH: XKPWY-3EMWT-M4QPW

SUPER BOMB RUSH: 8QIJM-LQ3ML-RT8RD

CAVEMAN WORLD MOUNTAINS OF UNGA BOONGA: EATVG-TR9E8-R8006

WORLD SHIP SIMULATOR: MWY08-DH304-ETMMN

NASH RACING STEAM: VWKDX-AB4AK-GTHGF

URIZEN SHADOWS OF THE COLD: D6Y5D-RAFYB-RAM49

TABLE TOP RACING WORLD: IE520-EY4PG-I0PJV

SPACE PILGRIM EPISODE 1: TK4F3-NRNL6-GX329

RISE OF THE TRIAD: 82NWK-DTB22-ED7PK

HEXOSCOPE: BT38Z-F28FP-PX7WC

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:
So I've gotten some games already because summer sale, But I was wondering about the three versions of WATCH_DOGS 2 and want it pretty badly.

There's the normal version, 30 dollars. Deluxe edition, 40 dollars. And gold for like same price as the normal game on sale. Which of the three has the most bang for their buck?

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal
Xcom 2 is really good. The resistance angle is a great change up from the first game and the classes have been overhauled so that every class is awesome and has cool powers. The only time the timers really gently caress you is if you drag your heels or you do something dumb like fire a rocket and destroy the roof your extraction point is on with 2 turns left on the extraction timer. (I did this once)

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Lagomorphic posted:

Xcom 2 is really good. The resistance angle is a great change up from the first game and the classes have been overhauled so that every class is awesome and has cool powers. The only time the timers really gently caress you is if you drag your heels or you do something dumb like fire a rocket and destroy the roof your extraction point is on with 2 turns left on the extraction timer. (I did this once)

I will say hold off on the Alien Hunters DLC if you are new to it. The King Aliens and can really gently caress you up when they appear on a Rescue mission.

edit: I know 2017 so far has been a crazy year for games so far. What were the big stuff that came out so far because I sure as poo poo don't remember.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Hopper posted:

The Following replaces parcour with buggies you need to maintain as was said earlier. The area is far too large and you end up driving from a to b losing each other and getting bored.
Also enjoy a ton of invisible wall rocks/haystacks in the middle of the road or whatever, bad map design with impassible mountains or annoying water, and the few parkour stuff they added is more or less walled off. They had to boost zombies because of cars and it's super annoying when they cross over into on-the-foot segments. Liked Dying Light quite a bit in co-op but we didn't even finish The Following. Maybe the stuff they're adding will make it palatable?

TwoDogs1Cup
May 28, 2008

DOUGIE DOUGIE DOUGIE! MY LOVE, HE MAKES MY EMPTY HEART FULL! DOUGIE! THE BEST FOREVER THE BEST DOUGIEEE! <3 <3 - TwoDougies1Cup
Is Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines a good game? I paid like €4 for Mordor, so €10 for a 14 year old game seems like a pisstake

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

TwoDogs1Cup posted:

Is Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines a good game? I paid like €4 for Mordor, so €10 for a 14 year old game seems like a pisstake

Yep, but get the fan patch mod. There two big ones but I forget which one to get.

Dial A For Awesome
May 23, 2009
OK goons, am eyeing up the following games and would welcome any advice/views on the following:

Prey: I've seen the comments earlier in this thread. One extra question: is this scary? I'm a total wuss and can't really cope with horror games.
Mafia 3: Not sure about this given the mixed reviews. Am semi-interested since a newspaper article said it was worth trying. I don't mind open world games, provided the combat isn't too janky.
Mad Max: This is pretty cheap and looks like another open world option.
Oxenfree: Someone recommended this as an emotional, story based game after I raved about Life Is Strange.

Also a few pages ago, goons gave a qualified recommendation to Metal Gear Solid V. Which version is the one to get?

Finally I'm a sucker for military shooters - I spent a lot of hours playing things like The Division and Ghost Recon: Wildlands. Any suggestions for something that lets me pretend I'm an elite tier 1 operator rather than a pasty basement-dwelling nerd?

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:

BigRed0427 posted:

Yep, but get the fan patch mod. There two big ones but I forget which one to get.

I second this. That game is a game EVERYONE should have finished. Although it's lovely without fanpatches and mods.

Dial A For Awesome posted:

Also a few pages ago, goons gave a qualified recommendation to Metal Gear Solid V. Which version is the one to get?

Finally I'm a sucker for military shooters - I spent a lot of hours playing things like The Division and Ghost Recon: Wildlands. Any suggestions for something that lets me pretend I'm an elite tier 1 operator rather than a pasty basement-dwelling nerd?

You answered your own question. Get MGSV The phantom pain. teir negative 2 operator poo poo going on up in that game. 200 plus hours isn't an exaggeration.

NeoSeeker fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Jun 24, 2017

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

TwoDogs1Cup posted:

Is Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines a good game?

Great game, download the community patch.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

Daily Deals have been gone for over a year. Like, you would need to have not loaded Steam since 2015 to somehow not be aware of this blisteringly obvious fact, and yet it's at least thrice a page
Jeesh sorry for binging it up. ;)
I actually cleaned out a lot of my backlog over the last year (+ the wow binge) so I p much didn't check the front page for ages yeah. :v:

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

I put pubg in there because my loving friends like looting more than shooting
Hahaha I'm sure they're starving for chicken.

Bedlam posted:

I went ahead and bit down on a GMG loot box with the coupon they emailed me. I kept toybox racing, here are the others if anyone wants them; please post if you grabbed one.

I took world ship simulator because that poo poo looks hilarious.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jun 24, 2017

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

TwoDogs1Cup posted:

It is aces. Most people get at least 2 playthroughs out of it. I agree the price seems high, but it's probably not coming down anytime soon. Check out GoG - I know it's on there too.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Does clicking 'not interested' in the discovery queue update your preferences at all?

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Ground Zeroes is a single mission, that was released as a sort of paid demo while people were waiting for the real game, The Phantom Pain. Ideally you should play both, in that order.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Tafferling posted:

I'm having difficulties keeping enthusiasm for the story because I find the cop charachter dumb as poo poo. Every time I play as him he keeps getting stupider and I want to punch him so hard.
Does it get any better?

monster on a stick posted:

The millennial starts deserving a punch too, so there's that.

I... okay, gonna be honest, this is coming out of left field for me. I didn't think Charlie was dumb at all, and instead seemed to pick up on stuff faster than most adventure protagonists. And Latha's an unemployed orphan, I didn't expect her to be super well-adjusted and even then I didn't find her annoying. I suppose there are dialogue options where they over-explain things for the player's benefit but you don't even have to pick those if you don't want to rehash stuff or give other characters a hard time.

From that perspective I guess they're not going to get any better, but since I don't see any problem I'm the wrong person to ask.

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

Has WadjetEye learned to let people adjust the window size yet or do you still have to play in a 400x400 window with literally no options menu to adjust sound or video?

They did, actually, but I still couldn't play it in full screen because whatever weird homebrew engine they run over there doesn't like my PC. But no, no more tiny postage-stamp screens here.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

OK goons, am eyeing up the following games and would welcome any advice/views on the following:

Mad Max: This is pretty cheap and looks like another open world option.

With Mad Max how burned out are you on Batman style combat? And how much did you love the Fury Road movie?

Cause I absolute loved Mad Max. The story, the location, the graphics, and the car driving are all great. If you can hold off on absolutely OCDing over doing every side mission there is a small grind: some mission parts are locked behind threat level that needs to be lowered by taking out camps/towers/convoys but towers/convoys are absolute blast to take out. The camp combat is serviceable but nothing special. The story is pure Road Warrior-isk especially towards the end and works as a prequel to Fury Road. And for a place that is mostly desert there are a ton of different locals/unique camps scattered all over the map that really feel like people trying to make it in a wasteland (just only do camps that have a historical relic in them). Driving feels really good and in short order you get a harpoon, a rocket launcher (the Thunderpoon), and a shotgun to take out other vehicles along with ramming in a completely customized car.

So yeah for $5 go for it and play until you get bored or end up doing all the convoys.

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005
"It's only after we've lost everything that we're free do to anything"

Bedlam posted:

CYBERHUNT: R7ZZG-QAKW2-NGMRG

I took a chance on this one, thank you.

Anniversary
Sep 12, 2011

I AM A SHIT-FESTIVAL
:goatsecx:
Any thoughts on Helldivers? Is there still a community?

I don't think I've played a twin stick shooter since Crimsonland, but I've got really fond memories of that, so any chance it'll scratch that itch?

Also I feel like I need to buy Hollow Knight as it sounds like so many things I like but... how is the difficulty?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.
Anyone have any thoughts on 35MM? I like the atmosphere, and I'm up for a decent walking simulator, but some of the reviews seem a little mixed.

• Locked thread