Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

YoshiOfYellow posted:

I think my favorite thing about Bard now is that I can force bad trashcan tanks who refuse to push buttons to use cooldowns between Nature's Minne and Palisade. The former of which only has a 45s cooldown. Spam that poo poo and make healers love you.

Don't forget Troubadour. It's also a defensive cooldown that changes effect based on your current song gauge at use. And it affects everyone! Except yourself, because thats apparently still a thing Bards should have to deal with when using their own skills sometimes. But yeah, Minne owns. Short cooldown Convalescence that is usable on yourself and anyone else in your party.

Skaw fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jun 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

The fish man in Doma keeps telling me he's gonna be the best in Eorzea and it's breaking my immersion :mad:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I was an Astrologian going into Final Steps and let me tell you, during that dramatic cutscene, I had never felt so *fabulous*

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I've seen discussions about how WAR has shat the bed somewhat, but where does DRK sit? My next class to 70 might be a tonk instead of another DPS, and greatswords are cooler than sword and shield :shobon:

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Light spoiler for the cs right before the 67 dungeon:
Did I spy Oboro? Did he come outta nowhere?

Skanker
Mar 21, 2013

Thundarr posted:

This is anecdotal, but in the last week I have run into a unusually high number of healers who are struggling to heal, even the ones who make no attempt to dps. I don't know if I'm just having bad luck with getting mediocre healers or if something else is going on.

I'm not gonna jerk off and say I'm a good healer but I've raided and I know AST in and out. Something is wrong and I know it. I just can't speed run a warrior going ham anymore and it is deeply upsetting.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

SonicRulez posted:

Light spoiler for the cs right before the 67 dungeon:
Did I spy Oboro? Did he come outta nowhere?

Nah, it's not Oboro, even though the guy looks very similar to him, you'll see him again later on. I thought it was Oboro as well originally.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Shere posted:

Why does it feel like flash was the most important thing Warrior lost?

Yeah, that's pretty hilarious.

The ideal solution to the missing Flash problem would be to give Overpower the area and animation of Devastation and then remove Inner Beast and the current Devastation entirely, and then just give Steel Cyclone and Fell Cleave different effects depending on stance, just like Equilibrium has different effects depending on stance.

This would also mean you have your Deliverance finishers from 52 onwards instead of getting them parcelled out over 52-60, so it'll never happen.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jun 24, 2017

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I quit before PotD was implemented in ARR and have been leveling through the MSQ since coming back, so I haven't set foot in PotD yet. What do I need to do to get started with it? Like is there a quick way to make my aetherpool gear not suck, for example?

I want to try leveling Machinist, it looks like a lot of fun and has lots of explosions and guns are cool.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

I've seen discussions about how WAR has shat the bed somewhat, but where does DRK sit? My next class to 70 might be a tonk instead of another DPS, and greatswords are cooler than sword and shield :shobon:

Its really too early to tell because a lot of people "feel" like they are poo poo but there hasn't been a definitive "Your are poo poo" consensus yet. We need a whole lot more parses than what we've gotten so far. (Remember how SMN was poo poo and then parses started coming out and they are at around the same overall power level as everyone else? How people were saying RDM was op as gently caress and they actually do a tiny bit worse on parses than the other casters? How MNK would never find spots now that SAM is a thing and then they are very close to each other in damage?

Some people are actually saying that DRK does more damage than WAR and PLD for whatever its worth.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Exmond posted:

FFXIV no clip documentary is out! Way to go Danny!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xs0yQKI7Yw4

I had no idea Koji Fox was actually given that name by his parents.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009
So, I saddled up to this for the first time on Friday when the expansion dropped. I've played the trial since then, hit 35 today with a dragoon and hit the stopping point for XP. What's the best way for buying the game and expansion(s)(HW...?)? I'm in the US if that matters.

Also, I've noticed the DPS takes forever to DF queue thing at low levels. Should I shift over to a tank to grind out the MSQ? Any other things I should know?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Electronaut posted:

So, I saddled up to this for the first time on Friday when the expansion dropped. I've played the trial since then, hit 35 today with a dragoon and hit the stopping point for XP. What's the best way for buying the game and expansion(s)(HW...?)? I'm in the US if that matters.

Also, I've noticed the DPS takes forever to DF queue thing at low levels. Should I shift over to a tank to grind out the MSQ? Any other things I should know?

Steam or a non-steam entity if you don't like the idea of having to buy every expansion via Steam.

DPS will always have extremely long queues because there are a lot more of them than healers or tanks. If you want short queues either get a tank/healer friend to help you or play one of those roles.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Steam or a non-steam entity if you don't like the idea of having to buy every expansion via Steam.

DPS will always have extremely long queues because there are a lot more of them than healers or tanks. If you want short queues either get a tank/healer friend to help you or play one of those roles.

Alright. Noticed Amazon has it for sale for 48 bucks with expansion.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Note that there's no advantage to owning the expansion until you hit level 50 so don't buy the expansion early unless it's a good deal.

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

Harrow posted:

I quit before PotD was implemented in ARR and have been leveling through the MSQ since coming back, so I haven't set foot in PotD yet. What do I need to do to get started with it? Like is there a quick way to make my aetherpool gear not suck, for example?

I want to try leveling Machinist, it looks like a lot of fun and has lots of explosions and guns are cool.

Go to Gridania, get the quest. Go to Quarrymill, turn in the quest. Queue with the ranger that has 800 Genjis standing in front of him. No, you can't poopsock your aetherpool, and you don't want to in any case, because you're going to get a zillion charges of it without really trying all that hard.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Its really too early to tell because a lot of people "feel" like they are poo poo but there hasn't been a definitive "Your are poo poo" consensus yet. We need a whole lot more parses than what we've gotten so far. (Remember how SMN was poo poo and then parses started coming out and they are at around the same overall power level as everyone else? How people were saying RDM was op as gently caress and they actually do a tiny bit worse on parses than the other casters? How MNK would never find spots now that SAM is a thing and then they are very close to each other in damage?

Some people are actually saying that DRK does more damage than WAR and PLD for whatever its worth.

Cool to know, but I meant more in terms of... fun factor, I suppose. Line in the sense that SMN is still competitive DPS wise but (I've heard) they feel gutted and boring to actually play. How's DRK hacking it in that sense?

Guess the right way to find out is go try it myself but god drat it I'm at work and it's a million degrees in here why won't this day end :suicide:

pissdude
Jul 15, 2003

(and can't post for 6 years!)

Bleu posted:

Go to Gridania, get the quest. Go to Quarrymill, turn in the quest. Queue with the ranger that has 800 Genjis standing in front of him. No, you can't poopsock your aetherpool, and you don't want to in any case, because you're going to get a zillion charges of it without really trying all that hard.

There's also no point really anymore because if you go into stormblood you'll quickly replace your Kinna/Padjali weapon

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

pissdude posted:

There's also no point really anymore because if you go into stormblood you'll quickly replace your Kinna/Padjali weapon

And also Shire weapons are cheap as gently caress.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

How are Machinists these days? I tried to look for videos and it seems like nobody plays Machinist at all, but it looks like a cool job.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Harrow posted:

How are Machinists these days? I tried to look for videos and it seems like nobody plays Machinist at all, but it looks like a cool job.

I'm playing a MCH right now and it's cool as hell. I don't care about where it fits on the grand scheme of things but the class is fun.

*Also I'm still getting the hang of things, figuring out a rotation and stuff still.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Cao Ni Ma posted:

In fairness, the numbers being good won't change that SMN feels like hot garbage to me mechanically right now.

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

The Electronaut posted:

DPS has always had longer queue times but I think it's worse than usual right now because they added two new DPS classes in the latest expansion

In case you've only played really old MMOs before, tanks and healers are both perfectly fine for running quests and doing damage to things.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

Cool to know, but I meant more in terms of... fun factor, I suppose. Line in the sense that SMN is still competitive DPS wise but (I've heard) they feel gutted and boring to actually play. How's DRK hacking it in that sense?

Guess the right way to find out is go try it myself but god drat it I'm at work and it's a million degrees in here why won't this day end :suicide:

I think if you've never played them before you'll find them fine. Most people Ive seen complaining are doing so because they are contrasting against HW DRK. Its less involved than what it used to before and MP recovery while on grit got loving devastated (but now you dont burn through MP for being in darkside) but outside of that its still good class.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I played it to 60 but haven't done much in a long time, since I was never a fan of the speedpulling tank DPS meta. Just made me nervous and uncomfortable (yes, yes, tanking is the easiest job, but still). But since things are somewhat locked down as far as that goes nowadays maybe I'll give it another shake after I'm done with RDM.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Fortuitous Bumble posted:

DPS has always had longer queue times but I think it's worse than usual right now because they added two new DPS classes in the latest expansion

In case you've only played really old MMOs before, tanks and healers are both perfectly fine for running quests and doing damage to things.

Thanks. I played EQ for a long while, then went to WoW till first expansion then put it on the shelf.

pissdude
Jul 15, 2003

(and can't post for 6 years!)

Captain Oblivious posted:

And also Shire weapons are cheap as gently caress.

no reason to get those either with pvp/palace/sb items

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Man, the 70 mch class quest had uh, two twists at the end I did not see coming.

Kaldaris
Aug 10, 2008

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
Awesome possum!
Hey!!! Guys!!! There are two big ol' trials post 70!!! Turns out they're pretty hard!!! They make you do things like 'run across a line' or 'avoid big orange circles', or even 'pick a thing up repeatedly' and 'run over here'!!! This is hard!!!!!

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You

FillInTheBlank posted:

I just got it from the last MSQ in patch 3.4, An Ending to Mark a New Beginning.

Oh my goodness. I've had this is my bag for like, a year and never used it.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

cheetah7071 posted:

Dragoon has a move called Dragon Sight. It has a range of 6 yalms (double melee range or so), and targets a party member. For the duration of the buff, the Dragoon gets a 10% damage buff and the other DPS gets a 5% damage buff, but only if they stay within 6 yalms. There's a red tether between them if they're close enough, so it's visually obvious.

aw heck I think I've broken that a bunch because I thought it was a boss mechanic

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

oh man Susano was so drat cool

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Doma music remix is pretty fuckin sweet

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Flavahbeast posted:

aw heck I think I've broken that a bunch because I thought it was a boss mechanic

I always tell people at the start of dungeons/trials now, just because I've run into that problem a lot.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Since jump potions auto-complete all your job quests up to 60, you can't get the AF gear package that the 60 job quest now gives, right?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

UHD posted:

Doma music remix is pretty fuckin sweet

Does anyone have a link to a youtube of it by any chance?

Harrow posted:

Since jump potions auto-complete all your job quests up to 60, you can't get the AF gear package that the 60 job quest now gives, right?

You can get it from the Calamity Salvager I think, the same as if you discarded it? Someone told me that but I'm not sure and can't really test it.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Jun 24, 2017

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I believe the calamity salvager is tied to achievements so it should work with any gear that comes from a quest that grants an achievement.

Cool Bear
Sep 2, 2012

Has anyone else noticed these allegories from the original first opening story:

unexpectedly bad meteor weapon from the garleans :: atom bomb from america in ww2

primals summoned by beastly denizens of isolated eorzea :: hawk military leaders of japan who controlled the emperor and with whom many disagreed

the Garleans attack because they want to destroy the primals :: the americans attack japan to stop them from conquering east asia because of these hawks, these primals

This story written by Japanese people who are intelligent and surely very aware of their own history must have been either consciously or subconsciously affected by the events of history. Is this common knowledge? Am I wrong?

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Oh if only that last one were a real crime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Cool Bear posted:

Has anyone else noticed these allegories from the original first opening story:

unexpectedly bad meteor weapon from the garleans :: atom bomb from america in ww2

primals summoned by beastly denizens of isolated eorzea :: hawk military leaders of japan who controlled the emperor and with whom many disagreed

the Garleans attack because they want to destroy the primals :: the americans attack japan to stop them from conquering east asia because of these hawks, these primals

This story written by Japanese people who are intelligent and surely very aware of their own history must have been either consciously or subconsciously affected by the events of history. Is this common knowledge? Am I wrong?

I think those are a stretch at best.