Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

They really love Kris Dunn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Bwahahahaha

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Carlosologist posted:

If the Wolves sign Lowry or Holliday, does that jump them to top 4 in the conference? I could see it if LA blows up and Utah fails to re-sign Gordon Hayward

I think people are giving too much credit to Wiggins and KAT. Both may be great players but they still need a lot of work. KAT got better defensively at the end of the year but was a complete disaster early on. Wiggins was a disaster all year on that end of the court. They are for some reason terrible defending in transition.

Those guys probably need another year to figure things out on that end of the court.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Carlosologist posted:

If the Wolves sign Lowry or Holliday, does that jump them to top 4 in the conference? I could see it if LA blows up and Utah fails to re-sign Gordon Hayward

No. It would make them strong favorites to make it into the playoffs, though.

e: that may change in like three years, but not next season

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Cool Buff Man posted:

They really love Kris Dunn.

Look at that smooth skin and that nice part
He's better than Josh Jackson, who has the Lebron/Oden old man young man face. Chicago has moved past stupid statistical projections and skill assessments and moved on, to baseball style 'handsome is better' scouting. Get on their level

Only registered members can see post attachments!

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

Lockback posted:

Either this is speculation or Minnesota is opening their checkbook in a huge way and Taylor and Co don't mind losing money running a basketball team.

Feels like they're trying to push restart on the whole image of the team to go along with the new logo/unis and Target Center renovation wrapping up.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Dejan Bimble posted:

Look at that smooth skin and that nice part

He does have really nice skin compared to the jokers you see coming up nowadays

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
https://twitter.com/KrisDunn3/status/877929034885320705

I believe in Kris Dunn now. May his superb taste and perfect complexion lead the Bulls back to glory

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

xbilkis posted:

I believe in Kris Dunn now. May his superb taste and perfect complexion lead the Bulls back to glory
Knew I was right to rent property on Kris Dunn island

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

xbilkis posted:

If he confirmed that he likes Jeffery and Barter 6 better I'd have more confidence.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

:eyepop:

That's just straight up dumb. Bledsoe/Wade/JJ would be a really neat 1/2/3.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Kibner posted:

No. It would make them strong favorites to make it into the playoffs, though.

e: that may change in like three years, but not next season

They will need a year to get things straight, but Butler + Lowry would definitely vault them into the playoffs. I wouldn't bank on a 2nd round appearance next year though. I think your projection of 3 years is probably too conservative.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
The Wolves defense was a disaster last year. But, one thing to keep in mind is this is the 1st year Wiggins will have any season to season continuity with coaching staff/front office stuff. There is finally stability. Does this mean he and Towns will suddenly become defensive beasts? No. But with Butler out on the court basically being a de-facto Thibs as well setting the pace I think they will be at least a bit better if not significantly better moving into this coming year.

There is almost no way they can be any worse. They would constantly get lost, be slow on a rotation, and generally just being bad defensively. Butler will help immensely along with continuity and a year under their belt with Thibs..... I WANT TO BELIEVE

Obviously people were very high on them last year. The Wolves need a couple shooters still...however at this point even if they made ZERO roster moves from now on they would be extremely disappointing if they don't make the playoffs. This team has to make the playoffs next year.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

the top 4 in the west are all insanely good. the wolves' young guys have to actually hit their potential before they dislodge the warriors, spurs, rockets, or clippers

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

soggybagel posted:

Obviously people were very high on them last year. The Wolves need a couple shooters still...however at this point even if they made ZERO roster moves from now on they would be extremely disappointing if they don't make the playoffs. This team has to make the playoffs next year.

Clippers or Utah might fall off, but if no other team does you might need 50+ wins to get the 8th seed. The west is really, really rough.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

Shear Modulus posted:

the top 4 in the west are all insanely good. the wolves' young guys have to actually hit their potential before they dislodge the warriors, spurs, rockets, or clippers

I said they had to make the playoffs with this roster. I didn't say they had to win a title. Nor did I say it would be remotely easy. However, the point stands that this moves the Wolves into a "missing the playoffs is very bad" territory.

I think you'll need just over 500 ball to make the playoffs.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

well, if utah loses hayward+hill and LAC blake and/or CP3 to FA, the 4th spot might open up but i would bet on NOP, OKC, or Memphis (in no particular order) before any other west team next year

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

soggybagel posted:

I said they had to make the playoffs with this roster. I didn't say they had to win a title. Nor did I say it would be remotely easy. However, the point stands that this moves the Wolves into a "missing the playoffs is very bad" territory.

I think you'll need just over 500 ball to make the playoffs.

Oh I was responding to the guy who asked if the Wolves are a top 4 team in the west next year.

I thought they would make the playoffs this year (and was wrong) and I'll bet on them again next year.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
i'll have you know that okc is going to do a sign and trade for blake griffin and become the 2nd best team in the west for the 40 games he plays

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I think the Wolves will make the playoffs with or without another addition. Butler is really good and was able to get a pile of poo poo into the playoffs last season.

Despite the praise he receives, I still think he's kind of underrated. Maybe because he wasn't a high pick or maybe because he doesn't have freakish athleticism. I think he's right on the cusp of being a top 10 player.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

blake on OKC would rule. non-dunks are banned.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
Minnesota blew so many leads late too...Butler will help.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Shear Modulus posted:

blake on OKC would rule. non-dunks are banned.

Blake doesn't dunk very much anymore iirc

e: Less than half of what he used to, but still about 1 per game

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Metapod posted:

i'll have you know that okc is going to do a sign and trade for blake griffin and become the 2nd best team in the west for the 40 games he plays

1st part of the season? or 2nd?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://mobile.twitter.com/poundingtherock/status/878337960785186816

Can Pop Make DRose Back

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

Niwrad posted:

I think the Wolves will make the playoffs with or without another addition. Butler is really good and was able to get a pile of poo poo into the playoffs last season.

Despite the praise he receives, I still think he's kind of underrated. Maybe because he wasn't a high pick or maybe because he doesn't have freakish athleticism. I think he's right on the cusp of being a top 10 player.

Maybe I'm wrong but I consider him to really obviously be a top 10 player

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Signing derrick rose is like step 2 of the downfall of a franchise. Step 1 was signing LMA

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

rose on the spurs would break my brain

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I have some concerns.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Sure, sign Rose to eat minutes in garbage time since the PG rotation is one deep with Patty likely gone and Parker hurt, or to use him as a cautionary tale for Dejounte Murray, but I can't imagine Popovich is under any illusion Rose can be Back at any point in the future.

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

No, you're dark-side intergalactic encyclopedia salesmen. Unfortunately, the home office hasn't been quite upfront with you.
https://twitter.com/Twolves_PR/status/878298386352422912

Niwrad posted:

I think a lot of people sort of know that defense and all-around play matters and there are feedback loops at play with those things, but they still don't really calculate the value properly when they are comparing a guy like Butler to a flashier pure scorer like a Kyrie Irving.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

https://twitter.com/ZachLaVine/status/878345383780392960

Also, LaVine is fluent in sign language and spent a ton of time at the metro school of the deaf. He doesn't have a deaf sibling or anything, he just started taking it in High School. Notably too, he spent a ton of time there and no one knew as he took pains to keep press out of it. He's only let them in for certain events (like when he rebuilt their kitchen using the Dunk Contest winning purse). It's kinda sad he won't be around the Metro School anymore.

Anyway, regardless of anything else in the Trade, Zach Lavine is a Good Dude and the kind of guy that's nice to have on a team you are following.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

disappointed thibs isn't wearing a black track suit and also that one of the pizza boxes isn't a tv on which he's watching film and screaming at guys to box out

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Lockback posted:

Also, LaVine is fluent in sign language and spent a ton of time at the metro school of the deaf. He doesn't have a deaf sibling or anything, he just started taking it in High School. Notably too, he spent a ton of time there and no one knew as he took pains to keep press out of it. He's only let them in for certain events (like when he rebuilt their kitchen using the Dunk Contest winning purse). It's kinda sad he won't be around the Metro School anymore.

Anyway, regardless of anything else in the Trade, Zach Lavine is a Good Dude and the kind of guy that's nice to have on a team you are following.

sucks for him, good dudes shouldn't be exposed to the bulls

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Luol Deng's reward for suffering through the Bulls was getting a nice retirement fund in LA. Good things eventually happen to good deeds.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Kris Dunn and Buddy Hield need to form an arts collective

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Metapod posted:

How's that going to work exactly?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

tanglewood1420 posted:

For the Clippers it only makes sense to either resign both Paul and Griffin and keep this train rolling, or to let both of them walk and probably trade DJ to blow it all up and rebuild ASAP. What would be quite terrible for them is CP3 resigning early in FA, only for Blake to leave for Boston/somewhere else. They'd be stuck in that 7/6/5 seed no-man's land with CP3 on a mega max weighing them down for years.

If they're making a push for Lebron, having Chris Paul would have to make them the non-Cavs favorites. They have no way of getting to a max at all without one of those guys leaving.

This coming from the guy who did such a good job of being a leader he had to kindly be asked to go back into retirement during his comeback.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Lockback posted:

Luol Deng spent his offseasons bringing clean water to poor people in Africa and this is how the Bulls treated him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

• Locked thread