Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Zaodai posted:

Also if your planet just got conquered, you can't earn citizenship for at least 5 years, so the unwashed Davion masses don't count towards our numbers.

That's not true.

If your planet was just conquered, you become a literal slave but anyone under the age of 10 or so is eligible to become a citizen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I was just going off old memories plus Sarna, which didn't really make the distinction:

Sarna posted:

For the populations of recently liberated worlds, all individuals are immediately made servitors and required to spend no less than five years in this condition until given the opportunity to earn their citizenship.

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

Making the impossible possumable
Missed this in the storm of replies. :shobon:

Viva Miriya posted:

whats your emoticon again?

:squawk:

I'm still not sanguine over the PPC animation

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Still a better PPC effect than the Battletech Beta. :saddowns:

Corponation
Apr 21, 2007

Fantastic.
I got to play in air raid and snipe things in the champion all day every day, and even managed to get in some desperate close combat and kill somebody. All in all a fantastic experience.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Since everyone else is reminising, my first mission was in a Crusader, but coincided with my moving house and losing internet, and my first move once I'd come back was straight into the OpForce's sights. PTN bestowed his leniency, and I came back in a Catapult with a taste for trucks in the Pirate mission. Bagged 4 trucks and 2 'Mechs (I think), lost an arm, survived the mission. A+, would command stompy robit again.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

My first stint was a short one, short enough that I was brought in again to play Mechwarrior Steve in the second-jumpiest bastard mech on the Death Commando side. As it was a big, big match me and some others went overdrive on the googledoc, turning it into a giant multicolor, multipage war room that made a pretty good read, though in retrospect it would've been best to have all that tactics chat in the thread.

I also got to Nergal, and thanks again to PTN for tapping me for the job (even if I admit I thought more like a player than an NPC).

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Education in the Free Worlds League varies more wildly on a planet by planet basis.

I assume the best teachers in the FWL are the ones who are able to win the "NO YOU SHUT UP" arguments with their students on a regular basis.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

W.T. Fits posted:

I assume the best teachers in the FWL are the ones who are able to win the "NO YOU SHUT UP" arguments with their students on a regular basis.

Wrong, it's the ones with the most PPCs. :science:

Corponation
Apr 21, 2007

Fantastic.

Zaodai posted:

Wrong, it's the ones with the most PPCs. :science:

They're not mutually exclusive

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Zaodai posted:

I wonder how the Hell's Horses are staffing all those schools, given that they've now got a ton more worlds in the IS than they had holdings in the Clan homeworlds, and they presumably aren't just emptying every school. They don't have to be Clan level schools, so are they just having regular civilians teach reading and basic math or what?

I'd just like to underscore again that even in the old House books, it was really only House Davion that had widespread problems with things like illiteracy and people not understanding basic mathematics.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Zaodai posted:

Still a better PPC effect than the Battletech Beta. :saddowns:

Yeah, it's a bit of a shame that the "slow blue ball" interpretation of PPCs has become the standard. I want proper man-made lightning, dangit! :saddowns:

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I still remember the MW2 version, where they moved so slowly that if anyone was shooting them at long range, even my big stompy Zeus could dodge around them. Some lights could actually OUTRUN them.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I got to shred the cast of Far Country in a Piranha then catch space plague and start hallucinating aliens, so that's pretty much a perfect run.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Perestroika posted:

Yeah, it's a bit of a shame that the "slow blue ball" interpretation of PPCs has become the standard. I want proper man-made lightning, dangit! :saddowns:

MW4 PPCs had that going for them. They even had a wavy zig-zag effect as they went flying out!

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

As always, MW3 had the best ones. But I did love jumping into satellite view in MW2 to scope out incoming missiles and ppc fire.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Perestroika posted:

the BT beta PPCs aren't slow blue balls, they're blue beams - which is okay except that large lasers are also slightly smaller blue beams, and they don't read distinctly enough at standard zoom level.

making PPCs a little less beam-ish would be a point in their favor, here.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Psion posted:

the BT beta PPCs aren't slow blue balls, they're blue beams - which is okay except that large lasers are also slightly smaller blue beams, and they don't read distinctly enough at standard zoom level.

making PPCs a little less beam-ish would be a point in their favor, here.

PPCs were always beams. The balls/projectiles is a shooter-ism because they're too good if they're hitscan.

Making large lasers their canonical pre-Clan red would work. Laser color always had more to do with the manufacturer, but color coding them has always worked well at differentiating them in games. Making PPCs a bit more purple with a jagged lightning effect or giving them a brief localized screen flash when they fire would be neat but since PPCs are currently too weak to be of real significant use it doesn't really matter how they look. :shrug:

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jun 23, 2017

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I think PPCs should at the very least be "fatter" in their effect, unless they're going to leave them as ineffectual garbage, in which case the current dinky beam works fine for conveying "this weapon is crap, why are you using it."

They'll get buffed, though, which is why I focus most of my hate on the awful visual effects.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
Maybe PPCs could inflict a targeting malus when they hit the enemy mech to represent sensor scramble?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Do they not have a nice sound effect of a building hum as the particles are stripped and then a hearty crackle like nearby lightning when the particle beams turn on?

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?
Voting A: My Home Luthien

Also, can't wait to see more 'Madden' if A wins! Its been literally years!

Icing on the cake, I should be up this mission, so I get 'Madden'ed' on too!

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Pattonesque posted:

Maybe PPCs could inflict a targeting malus when they hit the enemy mech to represent sensor scramble?

Well, they don't do that so that's probably why they don't.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
There's been a lot of discussion on how to fix PPCs but it's not just changing them in a vacuum, so I imagine some smaller changes to multiple things (including the PPC itself) will handle it.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
What are the advantages of PPC in the tabletop game?

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
They're better than AC10s and 5s. But those have been brought out of bad status so the PPCs look comparatively weak.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Neopie posted:

What are the advantages of PPC in the tabletop game?

They're the main intro tech sniping weapon and are often better than their upgraded models as far as Inner Sphere tech goes. They punch good sized holes at long range and don't require a lot of weight to do so. They face some competition once Gauss Rifles and LB-10x hit the scene but they're still a solid choice for lighter mechs or to use up all the free double heatsinks on something bigger.

The only weapons that outrange them are AC/2s, LRMs, and relatively fancy kit like Gauss Rifles.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Jun 24, 2017

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
All this talk about the PPC reminds me of the *very* old truism in Battletech. "Weight, Ammo or Heat: Pick your poison." It used to be that weapons were good at two of those, but the last one was something to watch out for. I could have sworn this was still true even when ClanTech was introduced (except for cLRM-20's). When did it stop?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Does anyone ever actually use AC/2s?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Night10194 posted:

Does anyone ever actually use AC/2s?

If you absolutely must fight aircraft with mechs they're not awful with flak ammo. Total crap otherwise since they're way too heavy for what they do barring some contrived scenario where you get to plink away at max range (longer than any other weapon) while the other guy stands around feeling bad.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

berryjon posted:

All this talk about the PPC reminds me of the *very* old truism in Battletech. "Weight, Ammo or Heat: Pick your poison." It used to be that weapons were good at two of those, but the last one was something to watch out for. I could have sworn this was still true even when ClanTech was introduced (except for cLRM-20's). When did it stop?

Definitely not true in Clantech. Not even really true in baseline Star League tech. Letting engine heat sinks get doubled for free busted up a lot of this game's heat economy.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Before double heatsinks if you want a pair of PPCs on board you need something big and slow like the Warhammer and it won't sink near enough heat to fire them constantly. After double heatsinks you use something more like the Uziel, which runs half again as fast, jumps 6 and sinks more heat without spending any weight on heatsinks.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
And is also roughly half as durable, when it comes right down to it.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Strobe posted:

And is also roughly half as durable, when it comes right down to it.

Speed is life.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

dis astranagant posted:

Speed is life.

Defiance Industries of Furillo sez: you're welcome

But seriously the 3025 Warhammer has a bit of a glass jaw

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

dis astranagant posted:

They're the main intro tech sniping weapon and are often better than their upgraded models as far as Inner Sphere tech goes. They punch good sized holes at long range and don't require a lot of weight to do so. They face some competition once Gauss Rifles and LB-10x hit the scene but they're still a solid choice for lighter mechs or to use up all the free double heatsinks on something bigger.

The only weapons that outrange them are AC/2s, LRMs, and relatively fancy kit like Gauss Rifles.

Notably, every one of the weapons dis mentioned here besides the PPC uses ammo. This doesn't matter a whole lot for a single mission, but in long campaigns where ammo may be scarce, energy weapons have another kind of advantage.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Defiance Industries posted:

Defiance Industries of Furillo sez: you're welcome

But seriously the 3025 Warhammer has a bit of a glass jaw

And the Uziel has an IS XL in a Medium's torso armor and structure. I love that drat 'Mech, but it melts under anything more than mild attention.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Yeah, the Uziel's not a line brawler, but double PPCs aren't really for line brawling no matter how much the Warhammer and Marauder act like they are.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!

Strobe posted:

And the Uziel has an IS XL in a Medium's torso armor and structure. I love that drat 'Mech, but it melts under anything more than mild attention.

That's pretty much anything with an IS XL though. Once you're past armor, they tend to go down real quick because of that double sized engine sticking out into the side torsos.

I find it kind of amusing though how in later eras, anything WITHOUT an XL is often referred to as a Zombie Mech for how much of a beating it can take before dropping, but people forget that zombie mech durability used to be standard before people started mounting XLs on everything with giant bulleyes painted on their engine shielding.

Personally, in regards to DHS breaking the game, if I were to rebalance Battletech, I'd make it so that the number of DHS mounted inside the engine were reduced by half, and the rest had to be assigned normally. That would put DHS more in line with the 'Better performance/lighter weight vs Bulkier equipment' dynamic they had going on, instead of just slapping on DHS on literally every 'mech because you can.

Rorahusky fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Jun 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbolic
Apr 19, 2007

This song is about how America chews the working man up and spits him in the dirt to die

Rorahusky posted:

I find it kind of amusing though how in later eras, anything WITHOUT an XL is often referred to as a Zombie Mech for how much of a beating it can take before dropping, but people forget that zombie mech durability used to be standard before people started mounting XLs on everything with giant bulleyes painted on their engine shielding.

Anything with ammo in 3025 was vulnerable to ammo explosions, particularly some designs where ammo was the only thing stored in a location. DHS (to soak crits) and CASE have made for the possibility of zombie ammo-carrying 'Mechs in a way that did not exist in 3025.

• Locked thread