Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Prorat
Aug 3, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/06/23/caught-on-tape-dem-official-says-hes-glad-scalise-got-shot.html

Nebraska Democrat party official "removed" after caught on tape saying he glad that congressman was shot at the baseball game.

"I'm glad he got shot, I wish he was loving dead"

Wolf Blitzer can go ahead and make Nebraska's electoral map dark red for 2020.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
Well Trump thread, I shocked the hell out of myself. If I die in the night, remember me fondly and tell them I want the name on the headstone to read "Bernie Woodhoff Juan"

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

VikingSkull posted:

I vape Castrol GTX

I prefer to inhale the thick aroma of unrefined Venezuelan crude with a glass of Merlot.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

really queer Christmas posted:

All numbers found from google and is from 2015:

Russia population - 144.1 million
American population - 321.4 million
EU population - 743 million
American and EU population - 1.06 billion
Russia GDP - 1.326 trillion
USA GDP - 17.95 trillion
EU GDP - 16.58 trillion
Global GDP - 74 trillion
US + EU share of global GDP - 46.6%
Texas GDP - 1.639 trillion
California GDP - 2.448 trillion
Texas pop - 27 million
California pop - 39 million
Russia defense budget - 65.6 billion
USA defense budget - 598 billion
Russia GDP per capita - 9,067 (USD)
US GDP per capita - 55,836
Texas GDP per capita - 54,433 (2014)
California GDP per capita - 66,310 (2016)

This is the country everyone is scared of. This is the country that is controlling everyone's elections. The country that is going to invade and control Eastern Europe. Russia is a laughing stock that has somehow tricked everyone into being the most powerful country in the world because broke brains. Russia is a goddamned joke and the more we talk about them rather than the complete domination the elites and rich have over our economy is only a benefit to those same oligarchs.

Russia has had the capacity to play a spoiler to U.S. interests on the international stage for the last couple decades. They also have a shitton of nukes. People shouldn't overestimate the threat they pose, but they are a threat to some degree. And the fact that Trump can't handle them to save his life is, uh, concerning.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Is fine. Drink more vodka da?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

DancingShade posted:

Is fine. Drink more vodka da?

I drink bourbon because I'm not a college sorority pledge.:colbert:

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot

Majorian posted:

Russia has had the capacity to play a spoiler to U.S. interests on the international stage for the last couple decades. They also have a shitton of nukes. People shouldn't overestimate the threat they pose, but they are a threat to some degree. And the fact that Trump can't handle them to save his life is, uh, concerning.

Wherever you've been for the last month, go back there

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot

Skypie posted:

Well Trump thread, I shocked the hell out of myself. If I die in the night, remember me fondly and tell them I want the name on the headstone to read "Bernie Woodhoff Juan"

You really need to understand my last point. America goes around imposing its will and agenda across the entire globe. And you want to fault a country for trying to sway America's leadership, which will have a direct impact on their nation?

Like, it's complete American arrogance to demand everyone remain silent as we decide their fates.

And the worst Russia did (which I don't even think they did honestly, I think it was an internal leak) was expose the utter corruption festering in the Capitol?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
If Russia didn't exist would the USA collapse in on itself without an outside "bad guy" to blame everything on or would they immediately demonize the EU and start working on breaking that up as well?

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
*hops out of time machine*

u guys need to be careful about russia. they have a shitload of nukes.

whoops haha wrong date

*hops back into time machine*

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
:laffo: thread went from "russia hacking is fake news" to "russia is cool and good for hacking us, I'm actually glad" on a dime

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

DancingShade posted:

If Russia didn't exist would the USA collapse in on itself without an outside "bad guy" to blame everything on or would they immediately demonize the EU and start working on breaking that up as well?

*looks at bmw*

*looks at iphone*

*looks at bmw*

yeah

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Wolfsheim posted:

:laffo: thread went from "russia hacking is fake news" to "russia is cool and good for hacking us, I'm actually glad" on a dime

go away

Conch Shell Corp
Feb 24, 2009

DancingShade posted:

america and russia need to tag team nuke the poo poo out of europe and turn it into the worlds biggest jungle gym or something so the rest of the globe can live in peace for a century or so. lil bitches couldnt even do anything about it their stockpiles are tiny and would be destroyed in the first strike anyways. gently caress europe usa+russia+serbia+tupac= kill europe

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

Wherever you've been for the last month, go back there

Balls deep in your mom?:c00l:

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

You really need to understand my last point. America goes around imposing its will and agenda across the entire globe. And you want to fault a country for trying to sway America's leadership, which will have a direct impact on their nation?

Like, it's complete American arrogance to demand everyone remain silent as we decide their fates.

And the worst Russia did (which I don't even think they did honestly, I think it was an internal leak) was expose the utter corruption festering in the Capitol?

If you're wanting me to say that I think the way America has trampled across the world and tried to enforce corporate capitalism and western democracy at gunpoint is bad then yeah, I agree. We've been doing that poo poo for decades and frankly our success ratio is pretty terrible.

I'm saying that I wish America would stop trying to act as the sole arbiter of what's right and wrong and stop getting tangled up in everyone else's politics. It's wrong of us to do that. It's wrong to instigate coups or wage the propaganda campaigns. I'm just also saying I think it's bad for someone to undermine our elections also. If it turned out to be the case that someone was able to sway our elections with propaganda or by tampering with vote counts, I think that's something everyone should be wary of. If we had demonstrable proof and overlooked it now because it was favorable to the current administration, the corruption you're (rightfully) concerned about becomes a precedent.

Again, I'm doubtful there was ever any direct collusion. Trump just had people in his staff with connections to Russia, and the Russian officials were gonna use the aides to get to Trump. That's pretty common; it's the role of diplomats after all.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
if that were true why are there so many news articles about it pal

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
i think hacking election machines is orders of magnitude worse than releasing some lowkey propaganda, to equate them together is ridiculous. how do you even quantify how they swayed opinion. did uk sway opinion because they were definitely all over US election politics

people are running all over the world with the platform that they are "the trump of <country>". should we be accountable for that too?

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Russia can play a spoiler role, but a spoiler role doesn't mean that 1 of the two major political parties in America should spend 6 goddamn months talking about what they did. Hell if Russia did everything some dems are talking about, what is the United States supposed to do to what is a presumed act of war?

Sanctions? We've already done that, it has proven to not work. Diplomatically isolate a country? Russia is already isolated from most democracies and any American focused countries. War? Good luck with a war with Russia. I've said it before, and I'll say it again, a world where America is trying to go to war with Russia is not a peaceful world. I don't like Putin, the Russian government is poo poo, but being antagonists doesn't make anything better for anybody. If we don't try and put it aside and focus on domestic policies (fixing our broken poo poo) then all hail SS-18 Satan

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

darkhand posted:

people are running all over the world with the platform that they are "the trump of <country>". should we be accountable for that too?

Hillary was basically the Donald Trump of America and I refuse to hear otherwise. :colbert:

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Russia can play a spoiler role, but a spoiler role doesn't mean that 1 of the two major political parties in America should spend 6 goddamn months talking about what they did.

:yeah:

I wish the Dems would use it to stoke voters into getting active and draft their own legislation. Instead we have some idiot knocking down the UHC option in California because ????

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
You Trumpies really grind my gears! :argh:

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, a world where America is trying to go to war with Russia is not a peaceful world. I don't like Putin, the Russian government is poo poo, but being antagonists doesn't make anything better for anybody. If we don't try and put it aside and focus on domestic policies (fixing our broken poo poo) then all hail SS-18 Satan

Fortunately (in this case) most of our established leadership are a bunch of softies who couldn't stand to part with their pretty castles and Epicurean lifestyles. A bunch of rich twats don't want to live underground and eat mres for 120 years. They would never go to war with Russia, it's just them pouting that their horse didn't win.

Jesus Christ
Jun 1, 2000

mods if you can make this my avatar I will gladly pay 10bux to the coffers

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

thanks jesus

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010
https://twitter.com/ByTomFrank/status/877955863671037952

lmao the last russia trump story cnn took down and apologized, but the writer still has it on his twitter

along with this gem, this guy's brain is broke

https://twitter.com/ByTomFrank/status/878305363698663424

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

is optics a new hip phrase now or what. it's everywhere

Harrower
Nov 30, 2002

Mnoba posted:

https://twitter.com/ByTomFrank/status/877955863671037952

lmao the last russia trump story cnn took down and apologized, but the writer still has it on his twitter

along with this gem, this guy's brain is broke

https://twitter.com/ByTomFrank/status/878305363698663424

There are people in the comments asking him to post the details of the retracted article. lol.

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Skypie posted:

It is bad for one country to directly meddle in the elections of another. For all the allegations that Clinton's foundation was taking Saudi money and tying that to foreign agents attempting to directly influence our government and how that's bad (it's bad), it would be equally bad for another country to just release a slew of propaganda to influence voters.

Like, there's a reason a lot of our politicians basically gave cop-out answers like "hm well when it comes to Brexit, I've got little to say except I hope we're all friends after." It's because it would be really drat bad if President Obama or Paul Ryan or someone openly said, "The British people should vote to stay/leave and here's a list of smears against the other side" in an attempt to influence the vote.

Lmao "here's a list of smears" *posts a bunch of direct quotes*

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

darkhand posted:

It's a new word meaning "excuse not to actually be progressive"

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Majorian posted:

Balls deep in your mom?:c00l:

You are the most consistently wrong poster in the history of these forums lmao

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

darkhand posted:

i think hacking election machines is orders of magnitude worse than releasing some lowkey propaganda, to equate them together is ridiculous. how do you even quantify how they swayed opinion. did uk sway opinion because they were definitely all over US election politics

poo poo look at how many of the regulars itt aren't even American lmao

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Did you find your passport yet

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Skypie posted:

:yeah:

I wish the Dems would use it to stoke voters into getting active and draft their own legislation. Instead we have some idiot knocking down the UHC option in California because ????

Because Dems are corporatist crooks

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

darkhand posted:

Yes. The media suffers from insideritis, where they worship beltway crooks and wonks and want to be political players instead of the people holding those crooks to account. This extends to them adopting the bullshit jargon of pr dorks and political strategists, since that's basically what they've become

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

nigga crab pollock posted:

*hops out of time machine*

u guys need to be careful about russia. they have a shitload of nukes.

whoops haha wrong date

*hops back into time machine*

Lol

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.
There's no evidence Russia phished Podestas email beyond what one security firm employed by the DNC tells us they found.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Toadvine posted:

There's no evidence Russia phished Podestas email beyond what one security firm employed by the DNC tells us they found.

And not long after that it came to public awareness that the NSA hacking tools had been stolen in 2013 which intentionally left behind the exact type of "fingerprints" to pin the blame on other countries that that firm used to finger Russia, lmao.

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.

Poetic Justice posted:

And not long after that it came to public awareness that the NSA hacking tools had been stolen in 2013 which intentionally left behind the exact type of "fingerprints" to pin the blame on other countries that that firm used to finger Russia, lmao.

Hahaha whoops!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

Yes. The media suffers from insideritis, where they worship beltway crooks and wonks and want to be political players instead of the people holding those crooks to account. This extends to them adopting the bullshit jargon of pr dorks and political strategists, since that's basically what they've become

poo poo, no wonder i love when media gets blasted out by trump

• Locked thread