Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
Worshiping the Twelve is only fine because they're plainly fake as all hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cool Bear
Sep 2, 2012

So this idea that the Garleans attacked Eorzea because of the powerful primals, did I make that up, did I dream it? Maybe it was just one particular Count, like von Baelsar, who I heard in the main story, I heard, or I dreamt, I heard that they attacked with extra force *because* they were worried about too many primals.

Is that a part of the story? That some Garlean person sent the meteor specifically because he was worried about too many primals? Or am I misremembering?

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

time to play MCN

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Cool Bear posted:

So this idea that the Garleans attacked Eorzea because of the powerful primals, did I make that up, did I dream it? Maybe it was just one particular Count, like von Baelsar, who I heard in the main story, I heard, or I dreamt, I heard that they attacked with extra force *because* they were worried about too many primals.

Is that a part of the story? That some Garlean person sent the meteor specifically because he was worried about too many primals? Or am I misremembering?

You made it up. Primals weren't being summoned until the Empire attacked and Midgardsomr dunked their flagship into silvertear lake. Baelsar hates primals, but the rest of the empire doesn't seem too interested in eliminating them, and in some cases are researching how to control or harness them.

The Garlean who summoned meteor was researching it and got semi-tempered by Bahamut to bring it down and ruin everyone. That this happened slightly after their initial assault doesn't depend much on the existence of the beast tribe primals.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Cool Bear posted:

little of column a, little of column b. Garleans were the laughing stock of Eorzea because they had no magical power, no aetherical connection. Building magitek was their way of becoming great, and they didn't forget about getting picked on, so they went and conquered everything in revenge.

also, the empire is loving big and failing at this point. it spans an entire continent and it's still trying to expand and subjugate entire kingdoms while all its rulers become psychopaths like every evil kingdom does before collapsing; of course it's lost sight of its own goals and missions and the left hand's never aware of what the right hand's doing.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

The game isn't necessarily anti-faith, but is definitely anti-extremism. Someone wanting to undermine religious study in Ishgard was a villain (even if he was previously a sympathetic victim himself) in a lengthy questline, after all.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Minrad posted:

little of column a, little of column b. Garleans were the laughing stock of Eorzea because they had no magical power, no aetherical connection. Building magitek was their way of becoming great, and they didn't forget about getting picked on, so they went and conquered everything in revenge.

also, the empire is loving big and failing at this point. it spans an entire continent and it's still trying to expand and subjugate entire kingdoms while all its rulers become psychopaths like every evil kingdom does before collapsing; of course it's lost sight of its own goals and missions and the left hand's never aware of what the right hand's doing.

Garlemald isn't anywhere near Eorzea, but they were the laughingstock in the region of their homeland for those reasons. Conquering Eorzea was just another notch to add. First Emperor of Garlemald was getting old, so may as well add more to the list of his accomplishments. Eorzea was to be another of the grand achievements under his reign, but then that went pear-shaped. It would remain a blemish on his record which is partly why Project Meteor was given support. No need to build more airships or lose more armies if they just destroyed Eorzea.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

My understanding was that primals did exist before the invasion, but their summoning was very rare and extremely difficult. Until Silvertear blew up and released so much aether that that now individuals can even summon them accidentally.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Gruckles posted:

My understanding was that primals did exist before the invasion, but their summoning was very rare and extremely difficult. Until Silvertear blew up and released so much aether that that now individuals can even summon them accidentally.

If anyone really wanted to draw an analogy to real life events, groups embracing self-destructive religious extremism as a reaction to imperial encroachments seems more fruitful than dragon god = atom bomb.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Sinteres posted:

The game isn't necessarily anti-faith, but is definitely anti-extremism. Someone wanting to undermine religious study in Ishgard was a villain (even if he was previously a sympathetic victim himself) in a lengthy questline, after all.

What questline is this?

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Argas posted:

Garlemald isn't anywhere near Eorzea, but they were the laughingstock in the region of their homeland for those reasons. Conquering Eorzea was just another notch to add. First Emperor of Garlemald was getting old, so may as well add more to the list of his accomplishments. Eorzea was to be another of the grand achievements under his reign, but then that went pear-shaped. It would remain a blemish on his record which is partly why Project Meteor was given support. No need to build more airships or lose more armies if they just destroyed Eorzea.

Right, yeah. I keep forgetting it's actually three? distinct continents since we can't actually see the true borders of the game world yet thanks to loving CLOUDS :argh: (plus at least two known continents to the north/south)

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

SKULL.GIF posted:

What questline is this?

It's the Scholasticate questline.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Minrad posted:

Right, yeah. I keep forgetting it's actually three? distinct continents since we can't actually see the true borders of the game world yet thanks to loving CLOUDS :argh: (plus at least two known continents to the north/south)

Yeah it's basically one big super continent, much like Africa, Europe, and Asia. Eorzea is Africa in this analogy.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Brother Entropy posted:

not every powerful magic thing is an atomic bomb

No, but any time a powerful magic thing is used as a tool to attain global power, to destroy cities/nations or to destroy a hated enemy regardless of the cost, it usually is

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Everything is an atomic bomb when you think about it

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

UHD posted:

Everything is an atomic bomb when you think about it

Your body is made of atoms.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Defiance Industries posted:

No, but any time a powerful magic thing is used as a tool to attain global power, to destroy cities/nations or to destroy a hated enemy regardless of the cost, it usually is

nah

see the thing about most final fantasy things of the kind that you're describing is that they're almost always super ancient and lost from common knowledge and imo anything trying to evoke the atomic bomb should be about a new horror sprouting from modern society's constant need for progress

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
So... the Warrior of Light is an atom bomb?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Garlemald is Persia, not WW2 Japan

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Coughing Hobo posted:

So... the Warrior of Light is an atom bomb?

no see, the atom bomb is cruel and uncaring and brings only destruction to whatever the guys in charge point to

hey wait a sec

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Well, poo poo, now I have to level Machinist.

I don't even know what it plays like beyond "do flips and things explode."

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Brother Entropy posted:

nah

see the thing about most final fantasy things of the kind that you're describing is that they're almost always super ancient and lost from common knowledge and imo anything trying to evoke the atomic bomb should be about a new horror sprouting from modern society's constant need for progress

The atom bomb is fueled by one of the fundamental forces of all existence being harnessed for destruction. Any time that the crystals or crystal-adjacent things (like Magicite or the summon stones from FF9) are weaponized you're doing the same thing, turning a building block of the world into a weapon.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Midnightghoul posted:

Think I am done with MCN. I picked the job to be a patient marksman, not flip around and fire lasers and do exploding dabs like some millennial

Millennials FTW.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

This is the game series where the most powerful spell in the very first game was NUKE.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
reading on reddit rn that fell cleave out of berserk is a dps loss, lmao

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

back at it again at krispy kreame

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Did Susano EX with some pubs and there were two other red mages in the party and yet I was still the only person who ever used addle, mana shift, or revive.

And still managed to pull 3200 dps. How are people this incompetent, part of why I love RDM is I can do all this utility poo poo without missing a beat at all damage wise.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Harrow posted:

Well, poo poo, now I have to level Machinist.

I don't even know what it plays like beyond "do flips and things explode."

Deploy turrets, use them as explosives after a bit. Shoot gun until your special barrel hits 50, become Neo and also deploy tiny satellites when you shoot the gun.

Hit 70 get the Flamethrower go nuts now that you have a way to get to 50 Heat that doesn't involve Barrel Stabilizer being off cooldown/spamming Hot Shot.

Reload so you never hit 100 heat and Cooldown when above 75 heat.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

You made it up. Primals weren't being summoned until the Empire attacked and Midgardsomr dunked their flagship into silvertear lake. Baelsar hates primals, but the rest of the empire doesn't seem too interested in eliminating them, and in some cases are researching how to control or harness them.

The Garlean who summoned meteor was researching it and got semi-tempered by Bahamut to bring it down and ruin everyone. That this happened slightly after their initial assault doesn't depend much on the existence of the beast tribe primals.

Also there literally wasn't as much aether/ambient magic kicking around until Midgardsomr crashed the Dreadnaught into Silver Tear Falls because it blowing up broke the seal on Momma Crystal and all of the sudden Echo users were everywhere and magic was flowing out super hard (It's kind of why all the ancient and seal magical things are all kind of slowly unsealing themselves/popping off now).

That plus the Ascians goading the beast tribes about the Garleans' invasion lead to the beastmen resorting to summoning their gods.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I've been playing DRK a little bit it more and discovered that syphon strike (or whatever the 2nd in the dps combo) consumes dark arts. Why? In grit it looks almost mop neutral so I guess you can DA both SS and soul eater?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Did Susano EX with some pubs and there were two other red mages in the party and yet I was still the only person who ever used addle, mana shift, or revive.

And still managed to pull 3200 dps. How are people this incompetent, part of why I love RDM is I can do all this utility poo poo without missing a beat at all damage wise.

I did Bardum's 'cos I'm only level 67 with another Red Mage and he never once used Scatter spam for AOE or Enhanced Moulinet and he still won the god-drat sword drop argh
Ban all bads

~level 67 Story stuff: It's all well and good sending important files via snail mail from Ala Mhigo to Kugane but why didn't they just ask me, the teleporting Warrior of Light, to pick it up and deliver it within 5 minutes?

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Jun 24, 2017

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Have you SEEN the cost of teleporting between Eorzea and Othard recently? It's a bloody disgrace, is what it is

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

I can't loving believe right as you're about to actually fight Nidhogg with Answers going in the background...they make you wait 30 minutes for a queue! This fight better be as good as Thordan.

At least i've got some good music to listen to while i wait i suppose :sigh:

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

"Today I will cause problems on purpose"

Minrad posted:

The Encyclopedia Eorzea presents a another reason as to why.

The short answer is Garlemand the actual land where they come from sucks and Eorzea is a paradise by comparison.

The long answer is although their natural home region is very abundent in ceruleam, there's bugger all else there in terms of farm lands or grazing grounds, and the region is beset by tornado's and other extreme weather conditions. And then Eorzea is this beautiful fertile landscape with food everywhere and natural resources in huge quantities and the worst the weather gets is occasional thunderstorms.

So of course they want that poo poo for themselves.

TheNabster fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Jun 24, 2017

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

I can't loving believe right as you're about to actually fight Nidhogg with Answers going in the background...they make you wait 30 minutes for a queue! This fight better be as good as Thordan.

At least i've got some good music to listen to while i wait i suppose :sigh:

Isn't that Dragonsong?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

hobbesmaster posted:

I've been playing DRK a little bit it more and discovered that syphon strike (or whatever the 2nd in the dps combo) consumes dark arts. Why? In grit it looks almost mop neutral so I guess you can DA both SS and soul eater?

Its part of the change to dark. You should be using DA on as many syphon strikes AND souleaters as possible.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

TheNabster posted:

The Encyclopedia Eorzea presents a another reason as to why.

The short answer is Garlemand the actual land where they come from sucks and Eorzea is a paradise by comparison.

The long answer is although their natural home region is very accident in ceruleam, there's bugger all else there in terms of farm lands or grazing grounds, and the region is beset by tornado's and other extreme weather conditions. And then Eorzea is this beautiful fertile landscape with food everywhere and natural resources in huge quantities and the worst the weather gets is occasional thunderstorms.

So of course they want that poo poo for themselves.

This is directly explained in the SB MSQ too.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

pissdude posted:

no reason to get those either with pvp/palace/sb items

What else exactly are you gonna do with those poetics? Upgraded Shire gear can functionally carry you to 67, might as well.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

Captain Oblivious posted:

What else exactly are you gonna do with those poetics? Upgraded Shire gear can functionally carry you to 67, might as well.

Upgraded shire gear is obsolete by level 64, and is showing its age by the 65 dungeon especially with the extreme defense bloat we're seeing. By the time you get tomestone gear it has literally over double the defense stats as upgraded shire. May as well get it anyway so you can replace it by running the level 65 dungeon though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
bought ffxiv, excited to try it, sure wish excalibur would open