Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Star Man posted:

Have you tried incognito mode in Chrome?

I read all/most of my news on my iPhone and private mode in Safari doesn't seem to work to avoid the paywall. I'm perfectly fine with paying for it, just not $130/year fine you know? The paywall is more of an annoyance if anything cause I could always just bookmark the links and read them during downtime at work in Chrome or whatever.

Combed Thunderclap posted:

Their website says they're selling subscriptions for as low as $70 a year though?

Says $10 every four weeks which is $130/year for me.

e: First post on new page but I'm not a pet person sorry guys

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Jun 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serfer
Mar 10, 2003

The piss tape is real

I mean,
https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/835916511944523777

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

Paul MaudDib posted:

just imagine the horror: as you wake in your bed you have no idea where you are but a half-dozen strangers are staring down at you, and one of them is Steve Bannon

"Time to make America great again, Mister President."

Edit: I now want a President Trump game, where people are leading you around, presenting bills to you and forcing you to do interview, and every action leads to the same result.

Rincewinds fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Jun 24, 2017

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Literally breaking down crying irl. :smith: :cry:

My mother went through breast cancer and chemotherapy twice. She also has early-onset Alzheimer's. My dad has ventricular tachycardia. They will be utterly hosed because of preexisting conditions once AHCA passes.

I'm strongly urging them to leave the country asap when they get the chance. I already did after my car got hosed and I fought for an insurance payout because I am a Poor and saw the writing on the wall. I'm seriously terrified for the fate of my friends, family, and fellow countrymen over this mess.

gently caress. :smithicide:

E: I apologize if I've come across as a partisan rear end to people in this thread, just genuinely sharing my grief over this.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Jun 24, 2017

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Paul MaudDib posted:

just imagine the horror: as you wake in your bed you have no idea where you are but a half-dozen strangers are staring down at you
My neighbor had an aggressive form of brain cancer that was detected too late, and one day he woke up next to his wife of 10 years and asked who she was. Within two weeks he was unable to do anything but simple tasks, and within a month he was dead.

It's terrifying, really, these being-altering afflictions.

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

The dates on these contradicting tweets are getting closer and closer together until we reach some sort of Trump singularity.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
I am also literally being serious about Steve Bannon being there when he wakes up though - not Bannon specifically, but this is a man in an increasingly compromised mental state, soon he will be in a state where he's not sure if he wants to get up and take a drive let alone determine national policy (and presidents aren't allowed to drive). Alzheimer's patients are very susceptible to gentle persuasion/coercion. Pretty apt description of Trump's first 6 months in office, he's nodded and waved right through the whole thing. It would be fairly easy for anyone in his "senior advisor" circle to pour some poison in the ear. A whole bunch of that circle is under investigation for Russian ties.

Captain Invictus posted:

My neighbor had an aggressive form of brain cancer that was detected too late, and one day he woke up next to his wife of 10 years and asked who she was. Within two weeks he was unable to do anything but simple tasks, and within a month he was dead.

It's terrifying, really, these being-altering afflictions.

My grandfather once got up early in the night, got out from bed with his wife of 40-50 years, and tried to drive 500 miles cross-country back to his childhood home in Milwaukee, he had to catch his ship before it sailed. It's unfortunately a common dementia thing, it's a loss of ability to distinguish between the past and present, and eventually from things that don't exist at all :smith:

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Jun 24, 2017

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Also, just gonna say apropos of nothing: gently caress Alzheimer's disease. It's almost as devastating as cancer, and I've lived with a family member who has had to suffer through both.

It's really loving awful and indescribable the pain you feel in interacting with someone who you love dearly that can barely remember what they had for breakfast, let alone the important memories you shared with them. :smith:

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
do not armchair-diagnose people from a distance. you are not medical professionals, it doesn't work, it's stupid, stop it.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Also, just gonna say apropos of nothing: gently caress Alzheimer's disease. It's almost as devastating as cancer, and I've lived with a family member who has had to suffer through both.

It's really loving awful and indescribable the pain you feel in interacting with someone who you love dearly that can barely remember what they had for breakfast, let alone the important memories you shared with them. :smith:

Alzheimer's lingers for years and years. You get to slowly watch someone become a shell of themselves, but they're still your loved one, and even as they become more and more of a walking husk they still have bits of themselves left, but fewer and fewer. And then they regress into a child-like state and need around-the-clock care to change their diaper and keep them safe from the audiovisual halluncinations. They will wander into the street because they don't know what the gently caress, and as their memory and lucidity decay farther and farther it becomes difficult for anyone recognizable in the present to control them (you're not his real dad/CO/etc). Eventually they die in severe discomfort, surrounded by strangers they can no longer recognize, as their autonomic bodily functions fail.

Along with Lou Gherig's Disease it's easily up there for "most horrifying way to die". And for precisely opposite reasons.

Instead, with cancer, you get to bounce from MRI to MRI and hope that this time it's not back, it's been three years now! for the rest of your life. And then it eventually comes back.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Jun 24, 2017

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

botany posted:

do not armchair-diagnose people from a distance. you are not medical professionals, it doesn't work, it's stupid, stop it.

It's rather disingenuous to say remote psychological evaluation doesn't work at all in the specific case of the President. For most people the level of access and knowledge would be too low to obtain a remotely reliable diagnosis; however, in Trump's case he is a highly public figure with years and years of verified first and second-hand data available for analysis.

Obviously you can't establish a concrete diagnosis without extended one-on-one interaction with him in a clinical setting, but there is more than enough information publicly available to say with a high degree of confidence that he is severely ill.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Paul MaudDib posted:

Alzheimer's lingers for years and years. You get to slowly watch someone become a shell of themselves, but they're still your loved one, and even as they become more and more of a walking husk they still have bits of themselves left, but fewer and fewer. And then they regress into a child-like state and need around-the-clock care to change their diaper and keep them safe from the audiovisual halluncinations. They will wander into the street because they don't know what the gently caress, and as their memory decays farther and farther it becomes difficult for anyone recognizable in the present to control them (you're not his real dad). Eventually they die in severe discomfort, surrounded by strangers they can no longer recognize, as their autonomic bodily functions fail.

Along with Lou Gherig's Disease it's easily up there for "most horrifying way to die". And for precisely opposite reasons.

Instead, with cancer, you get to bounce from MRI to MRI and hope that this time it's not back, it's been three years now! for the rest of your life. And then it eventually comes back.

It's a slow and tortuous way to go, not even including the massive suffering that comes with the American healthcare system.

Trust me, I know.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Boris Galerkin posted:

I read all/most of my news on my iPhone and private mode in Safari doesn't seem to work to avoid the paywall. I'm perfectly fine with paying for it, just not $130/year fine you know? The paywall is more of an annoyance if anything cause I could always just bookmark the links and read them during downtime at work in Chrome or whatever.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/pr/wp/2015/09/16/amazon-prime-members-enjoy-digital-access-to-the-washington-post-for-free/

Much cheaper option, especially if you already have Amazon Prime.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

zenguitarman posted:

The dates on these contradicting tweets are getting closer and closer together until we reach some sort of Trump singularity.

Actually he's already diametrically contradicted himself from one day to the very next on several occasions.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

dont even fink about it posted:

Actually he's already diametrically contradicted himself from one day to the very next on several occasions.

"He's a ~master strategist~, just trying to keep everybody - especially his ENEMIES - guessing!"

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

It's a slow and tortuous way to go, not even including the massive suffering that comes with the American healthcare system.

Trust me, I know.

Sorry, missed that this was a presently-occurring situation :smith:

Yes, the best thing you can do right now is get them somewhere with socialized medicine, if that's possible for them/you. Dementia care in the US heavily rests on Medicaid, private spending, and in-home care from family, it's not really very well funded/supported as a social service.

You're welcome to IM me if you need to talk (sorry no plat).

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Jun 24, 2017

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

There Bias Two posted:

It's rather disingenuous to say remote psychological evaluation doesn't work at all in the specific case of the President. For most people the level of access and knowledge would be too low to obtain a remotely reliable diagnosis; however, in Trump's case he is a highly public figure with years and years of verified first and second-hand data available for analysis.

Obviously you can't establish a concrete diagnosis without extended one-on-one interaction with him in a clinical setting, but there is more than enough information publicly available to say with a high degree of confidence that he is severely ill.

no there isn't, the fact that you really want it to be true doesn't make it so.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
I'm not a doctor and this isn't a court of law (or Congress).

But as someone who observed it with a family member, Trump is showing early signs of cognitive impairment. He's less coherent, he's forgetting where he is (wandering off during the Netanyahu photo op), or losing "mental context" (the press is 10 feet away, don't talk about classified material). He's vastly less "there" than just 10 years ago, and the fact that there's lots of video of him makes this pretty plain. This is what mild cognitive impairment looks like.

Just my take.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Jun 24, 2017

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

If nothing else, it can't be good for him that he still regularly eats fast food at 71 and is a fatass. If he leaves office for health reasons I would guess that it's more likely to be something related to that.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

Diagnosing mental illness in famous people from seeing them on TV is about as reliable and useful as those websites that tell you which Myers-Briggs personality type Abraham Lincoln was.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
The G7 leaders weren't too thrilled, I can tell you that much

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Boris Galerkin posted:

What's the cheapest way to get a WaPo subscription? I've never paid for news before but I enjoy their articles and wouldn't mind tossing some money over to them but their website says it's :10bux: every four weeks or $130/year. This is a bit higher than I thought it would be because I was thinking more closer to like $40/year.

I don't have Amazon Prime and it doesn't even exist where I live now so there's that.

Honestly you don't even have to subscribe. There's a method I use to get around certain paywalled sites. Just click on the story you want to read, then hit the X button (the stop loading button) on your browser real quick and it will usually load the page before the paywall comes up. It might take a few tries but it usually works for me.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Boris Galerkin posted:

This is weird, mine says about 40 bucks a year for a digital subscription, what's the deal?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

evilmiera posted:

This is weird, mine says about 40 bucks a year for a digital subscription, what's the deal?

price discrimination: the action of selling the same product at different prices to different buyers, in order to maximize sales and profits.

Amazon's been looking at this for a while too

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Paul MaudDib posted:

price discrimination: the action of selling the same product at different prices to different buyers, in order to maximize sales and profits.

:thermidor:

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
If Trump does have a degenerative neurodisease then good, God hit the right target for once. The man has been an unrepentant shitheel his entire life and has caused great suffering and misery on personal and large-scale levels. The only bad part about it would be that he gets to be president while it happens.

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair
Wow, I guess that super PAC is already putting out those heller ads, I just got this

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Isn't the AHCA unpopular in his district, though? This seems like the wrong line of attack.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

business hammocks posted:

Isn't the AHCA unpopular in his district, though? This seems like the wrong line of attack.

Who cares? He went against Lord Trump

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Paul MaudDib posted:

I'm not a doctor and this isn't a court of law (or Congress).

But as someone who observed it with a family member, Trump is showing early signs of cognitive impairment. He's less coherent, he's forgetting where he is (wandering off during the Netanyahu photo op), or losing "mental context" (the press is 10 feet away, don't talk about classified material). He's vastly less "there" than just 10 years ago, and the fact that there's lots of video of him makes this pretty plain. This is what mild cognitive impairment looks like.

Just my take.

it's also what aging and being supremely unqualified look like.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Paul MaudDib posted:

Yeah, but what's the motivation? Is it because I am currently not in the US or UK? I mean I would get paying a third of the regular price if I lived in Poland or Greece but this is a bit much.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
https://twitter.com/LPDonovan/status/878576147377917952

Lol at using the Pelosi-as-Beetlejuice strategy on a Senator

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
https://medium.com/@SenMikeLee/the-missing-ingredient-in-bcra-humility-771ce270fd00

Mike Lee wants ... the Cassidy-Collins bill I guess?

EDIT: Never underestimate the cowardice of Republicans, but putting comments like these out there publicly makes it look like it won't be an easy yes

quote:

Far short of “repeal,” the Senate bill keeps the Democrats’ broken system intact, just with less spending on the poor to pay for corporate bailouts and tax cuts. A cynic might say that the BCRA is less a Republican health care bill than a caricature of a Republican health care bill.

Elotana fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Jun 24, 2017

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits
This might be an aside but I am planning on literally making GBS threads on Mitch McConnell's grave once he mercifully relieves humanity of his existence.

Edit: I will also vigurously salt his poo poo-smeared grave as to ensure nothing will ever be allowed to grow from such evil.

Zisky fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Jun 24, 2017

umbrage
Sep 5, 2007

beast mode

pumpinglemma posted:

In all seriousness though I'd be very surprised if it happened. If many votes had been suppressed via faulty registration, we would have found out quickly through people complaining on social media, so it would have had to be a very small-scale attack. But Putin wouldn't have done this for funsies, because the consequences of being found out would be devastating - before signing off on it, he'd have had to know it would swing the election result. And no-one in America, including Obama with the full power of the US intelligence services behind him, thought things were gong to be that close, so it seems very unlikely Putin had that knowledge.

Also, Hillary really did run a gently caress-awful campaign, so it's not like the alternative explanation is implausible.

It's not like the only option Russia has to affect change is at the end of proxied VPN connection. Voter registration is an unstandardized shitshow, and combine that in many places with incredible Dunning-Kruger of the elections board workers, it's ripe for social engineering. Obnoxious, bad-faith voter purges happen more often than you may think, and with the systems being so decentralized, it would be difficult/suspect to point a finger at any one source affecting nationwide change.

To wit: my partner was not on the voter rolls for the past Dem primary in NY, which got a :shrug: at the time, because we had gotten married in the past couple of years, so maybe it's "just a mixup", even though she didn't change her name. Sure enough, for the general election, still not there. She still voted absentee, but who knows if it ever got counted? We don't receive any records of this.

Now, do we, on election day, say, "Oh hey, there's an outside chance here that Cambridge Analytica, using, say, a vast database of voter tracking information (that in the future will be leaked by an incompetent contractor), potentially could do a statistical analysis of people who have gone through enough life changes or moves or whatever that being left off a voter registration will seem plausible to the point of not mentioning it to anyone--should we start raising a fuss just in case?"

Nah. But is it starting to look bad given what the IC is uncovering and making public? Maybe.

Additionally to wit: my friend who worked for a state's board of elections has absolute horror stories about how voter registration is kept in some areas. Think "shoebox next to the softball team trophy in the unlocked janitor's closet" sorts of stories. This isn't to say that changing who is registered requires someone to sneak in through the HVAC system, it's more a barometer of how professionally this task is treated.

Now, imagine I'm a partisan (or even non-partisan) voter board worker in a county. Someone comes to me and says, "Look, as a favor to America, I think I've identified (((people))) who I think shouldn't be able to vote in your state. See, this person registered 10 years ago, but has bought cars out of state over the last three. This person paid taxes in another country, so they may have moved out of the country. This person got married to someone who is registered out of the state. It's plausible that most of these people shouldn't be able to vote, and hey, if they are, they have plenty of time to re-register before the election. And if they're gone like we think, well ..."

This person presumably is from a think tank protecting the sanctity of the vote for True Democracy. And they don't want to bog you down with all the poo poo the nerds did to figure this stuff out, but it's legit. Trust us, we've spoken to your Secretary of State and she believes this is all on the up-and-up.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

botany posted:

no there isn't, the fact that you really want it to be true doesn't make it so.

Explain to me how thousands of verified sources of information is not sufficient to make an initial diagnosis then.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

botany posted:

it's also what aging and being supremely unqualified look like.

You're wrong. Aging does not go hand-in-hand with marked cognitive decline. This is a myth that has been perpetuated for many years due to lack of understanding of neurological illnesses.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Erebus posted:

Diagnosing mental illness in famous people from seeing them on TV is about as reliable and useful as those websites that tell you which Myers-Briggs personality type Abraham Lincoln was.

Yeah. Sometimes you can tell but it is really difficult, especially if you're trying very hard to produce a particular diagnosis because you want it to be there.

I might still diagnose him with SOMETHING though given the things we've seen for the last year or so including the election. He is either massively exhausted to the point he's unable to function properly or he's got something chronic that's slowly progressing as he's exposed to stress. If he had worked a day in his life I might say he had Confusion of the type that comes from heavy pain but nothing in the way he moves suggests that.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

There Bias Two posted:

You're wrong. Aging does not go hand-in-hand with marked cognitive decline. This is a myth that has been perpetuated for many years due to lack of understanding of neurological illnesses.
it happens to young adults and children as well, turns out if you give nothing cognitively intellectually engaging to anyone regardless of age they become dim, whoa!

it's part of the reason why those facebook games aren't entirely bad for your grandma (but the posts definitely are)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

it happens to young adults and children as well, turns out if you give nothing cognitively intellectually engaging to anyone regardless of age they become dim, whoa!

it's part of the reason why those facebook games aren't entirely bad for your grandma (but the posts definitely are)

Not really. Just because a person stops picking up books, they're not going to lose the ability to form a complete sentence.

• Locked thread