Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Autism Sneaks posted:

Fortunately, the patch changes this quest objective to "pass 3 Ecologist laws", which only requires keeping the Ecologists as one of the parties in power for a couple cycles.

Hilariously, citing that it was "too difficult" in its current form, they changed the objectives of the penultimate Vodyani quest from destroying three planets to destroy​ing two planets. No, it's not difficult, Death Stars are incredibly easy to make by the point in the game you've researched both techs, it's just that it's mind-numbingly stupid to go out of your way to research the Planet Cracker, and engage in the slow and wasteful business of deleting planets. Though, just for flavor as Vodyani that reconciled with the Heretic, if only doctrinally and not literally with Mr. Cutscene, I destroyed Tor and the Hissho homeworld.

e: and the Unfallen homeworld, and Vanguard, and every planet within two systems of the UE capital...

For fun, I burned a two-system wide exclusion zone between the Cravers and Everyone Else in one of my games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roshambo
Jan 18, 2010
I want to buy Endless Legend during the steam summer sale, wondering which DLCs I should get to go with it.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
I wonder why they nerfed Sophon Free Move. Was actually worthwhile before

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Roshambo posted:

I want to buy Endless Legend during the steam summer sale, wondering which DLCs I should get to go with it.

They're all pretty good and add valuable content IMO. If any interest you in particular go for it but for starting out I say go this order:

- Echoes. It's 75 cents and the music in the game is amazing.
- Guardians. Honestly the main feature of this one (the guardians themselves) are a little meh but the legendary buildings / deeds add a lot.
- Shifters. The Allayi I never got the hang of -- they're really fiddly. Still, the addition of pearls to the winter make that season a lot more interesting.
- Shadows. YMMV on this one. I never tend to get much out of espionage systems in 4X games but that's probably more my problem than the game's. Because of this, I'm bad at the Forgotten and the AI ones are huge dicks that I hate seeing pop up.
- Tempest. The changes to the sea make a huuuuge difference and kind of complete the game but they might be too much to start out with? I think this DLC is the most expansion-like, in that you can play the base game for a really long time without really needing it but once you go in for it the effects cascade down into a whole game refresh.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Roshambo posted:

There's been answers further back in the thread, but here's a summary:
  • Guardians: Adds civ-esque wonder buildings, giant army units with crazy powers called Guardians, Legendary Deeds are objectives that open up each era and give rewards. Not the strongest, but get this if you'd like more objectives to shoot for or want to re-enact Attack on Titan.
  • Shadows: Adds espionage actions done by heroes and items to help then do it. Adds pillaging extractors, watchtowers and minor villages. Adds the Forgotten faction, who are all about stealth and espionage, and buy their research instead of using science. Worth it just for the espionage as it enables more dynamic conflict. Forgotten are tricky to play but some people really love them.
  • Shifters: Adds pearls during winter, which can be hoovered up by armies and spent on altering winter or to unlock buildings and effects that are really strong during winter. Adds the Allayi, moth people who build few cities and swap between defensive and agressive modes as seasons change. Definitely get this one as it gives you something to do in winter besides sitting in your cities. Allayi are weird but cool.
  • Tempest: Adds weather to the ocean, ocean fortresses that can be captured for resources and special effects, and ocean units to do ocean combat. Adds the Morgawr, a hive mind of angry fish people who like the ocean and suck on land. If you want to play a bunch of archipelago/ocean-focused maps then this is a must get. Morgawr are awesome.
Shadows and Shifters are the must-gets in my opinion, as their new systems round out the game really well. If you want more interesting ocean stuff then Tempest is pretty high on the list as well. Guardians has been pretty tepid for me but I dunno if I'd go so far as to say "skip it." It's not as flashy as the others but it's got some robust stuff in it. I'd put it below the middle two as they're the most vital.

Any other stuff is basically cruft - more items, more heroes, more quests. Pick them up if you just want more stuff.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

The art for this game. :allears:

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Flipswitch posted:

The art for this game. :allears:

Amplitude's artists are amazing. I think I've made the comparison before that they're basically the Vanillaware of 4Xs, even down to surprisingly detailed and sometimes obscure gameplay systems. Except less tits.

I like how the UE Craver in the first pic is a sergeant. Must be a good example to his squad, being able to shoot a heavy weapon and a sidearm at the same time.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I'd not heard of Vanillaware before, was not quite expecting what came up on google. :stare:

The art of the cravers owns in general, esp the one with the Craver guy on the monorail chilling with others, or the one fist bumping the Sophon.

Pedestrian Xing
Jul 19, 2007

Whoa cravers are huge

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

God do I get ES 2 or Stellaris :negative:

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.
Stellaris is more finished (for now, unless a recent patch has broken everything again?), ES2 has much better core mechanics, stellaris has more cool stuff to find (but most of it is only cool once imo)

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

S.J. posted:

God do I get ES 2 or Stellaris :negative:
Both. But this first imo as it has a clearer identity of what it's meant to be, though Stellaris has more sheer number of content.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Eh, I love Paradox games and Stellaris is the only one I've regretted buying. It has excellent presentation, but everything feels very samey and I do feel it is a 4X where everything but eXploration is badly implemented; Endless Space 2 feels like a much more robust game in the genre with a coherent universe and with a much better sense of making meaningful decisions at every step, not to mention the asymetrical gameplay between the different factions.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

ES2 is also smoother and quicker to play. I recommend getting ES2 now and keeping an eye on how Stellaris keeps developing.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
Again, I'd say both, but both games have a very different feel: Stellaris is in the Star Trek/Babylon 5 mould, while ES2 is more Barbarella/Flash Gordon - anglo versus continental sci fi, effectively. I prefer Stellaris, but that's a personal preference.

Other points:

- ES2 has the worse AI. Most people seem to play on Endless for a semblance of a challenge.
- Stellaris has better combat, but not by a significant distance.
- ES2's economic model is basically 'Civ in space', and is not spectacularly deep once you've learned what things do, the choice normally being what not to build rather than what to build. Stellaris doesn't have a particularly amazing one, but does have different resource crunches throughout the game.
- ES2 is much prettier and has a far superior UI.
- Stellaris has appalling bad characterisation of races compared to ES2. ES2 races tend to be genuinely distinct, or at least have the potential to be.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Also important point is only one of these games has Horatio.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Aethernet posted:

- Stellaris has better combat

I've not played ES2, but this is a tall claim

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Serephina posted:

I've not played ES2, but this is a tall claim

Note I didn't say Stellaris has good combat.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I'd argue that Stellaris has way worse combat, because fleets have no real size limit (unlike every other 4X which realized this might be a problem and has command limits) and are very, very fast, so strategic positioning is mostly irrelevant, it just becomes a game of consolidating your force into the biggest deathball possible and either avoiding the enemy (if theirs is bigger) or trying to get into a fight so you can erase the enemy fleet with full knowledge that they will not be capable of rebuilding a fleet in the timeframe of a war. It also makes early wars prohibitive by making space stations much more powerful than early game fleets (and irrelevant later on). Planetary invasions are also way more finnicky since you have to manually build armies and move them around; ship building also has less real options than in ES2, where support modules are at least relevant.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Yeah I'd say that Stellaris has really abysmal war mechanics. Chasing down enemy fleets that never want to fight, babysitting transport fleets, and shuffling power management every time you tech up to whatever slightly better laser or whatever is micromanagement hell. War in ES2 isn't anything great but at least it doesn't feel like work.

If you've waited this long to pick up Stellaris you might as well keep waiting.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i suggest not buying stellaris while theyre hiking the price up

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
And yet ES2 has a worse ground combat than Stellaris, something I would not have thought possible beforehand.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
It may not be as important, but ES2 has WAY better music and art direction than Stellaris, too.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Aethernet posted:

- ES2's economic model is basically 'Civ in space', and is not spectacularly deep once you've learned what things do, the choice normally being what not to build rather than what to build. Stellaris doesn't have a particularly amazing one, but does have different resource crunches throughout the game.

ES2's economic model is much better than stellaris's. It's definitely (like the other endless games) in the civ tradition, but that's fine, it's a good tradition and it iterates on those ideas in some neat ways. Stellaris's has almost no depth and a ton of obnoxious micromanagement. Combat gets the most criticism of any Stellaris mechanic but it's planet development/economics that is the actual worst part.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

ZearothK posted:

I'd argue that Stellaris has way worse combat, because fleets have no real size limit (unlike every other 4X which realized this might be a problem and has command limits) and are very, very fast, so strategic positioning is mostly irrelevant, it just becomes a game of consolidating your force into the biggest deathball possible and either avoiding the enemy (if theirs is bigger) or trying to get into a fight so you can erase the enemy fleet with full knowledge that they will not be capable of rebuilding a fleet in the timeframe of a war. It also makes early wars prohibitive by making space stations much more powerful than early game fleets (and irrelevant later on). Planetary invasions are also way more finnicky since you have to manually build armies and move them around; ship building also has less real options than in ES2, where support modules are at least relevant.

I would distinguish between war and combat: ES2 does have a superior model for war, but combat is largely uninteresting. It's got a great deal of apparent complexity masquerading as depth; very little beats a balanced fleet making it a pure numbers game, and if you do want to change your loadout it's instantaneous and funded by the absurd amount of money everyone gets. Stellaris, although it tends to have 'optimum' builds after each patch, always has ways to counter such builds if necessary. There's a bunch of stupid stuff left in like naked corvettes and missiles not working, but they're likely to change.

Torrannor posted:

And yet ES2 has a worse ground combat than Stellaris, something I would not have thought possible beforehand.

Ironically, I much prefer ES2's combat to Stellaris - it has meaningful choices and resources to trade off, and doesn't require you lug troopships everywhere.

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

ES2's economic model is much better than stellaris's. It's definitely (like the other endless games) in the civ tradition, but that's fine, it's a good tradition and it iterates on those ideas in some neat ways. Stellaris's has almost no depth and a ton of obnoxious micromanagement. Combat gets the most criticism of any Stellaris mechanic but it's planet development/economics that is the actual worst part.

I really disagree here. ES2's economic model boils down to 'what is the optimum build order for this planet' and once you've learned that you're pretty much done. In contrast, there is no optimum build order for colonies in Stellaris, although I would agree that there's a bunch of busywork there too. We may value different things on this aspect of the game, however.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

Aethernet posted:

I really disagree here. ES2's economic model boils down to 'what is the optimum build order for this planet' and once you've learned that you're pretty much done. In contrast, there is no optimum build order for colonies in Stellaris, although I would agree that there's a bunch of busywork there too. We may value different things on this aspect of the game, however.

That's true in that "what is the optimum build order for this planet" would require more depth than Stellaris planet development offers. But the bigger problem isn't just that the decisions are boring, it's that the decisions are boring and you have to spend a lot of your concentration on them because it's very important that you develop every planet at the right rate (i.e. you build building at about the rate of pop growth, since building too fast or too slow leaves a ton of resources on the table). By contrast, in cases where build orders are trivial in civ-style games, at least the amount of attention they require is also pretty small.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

I really like both games, but I play ES2 more. Stellaris is a game I'm only dabbling in every once in a while because I k ow it's going to get super complex down the line and actually become something more of a hobby for the few months I eventually decide to delve into it.

ES2, I can just dive into for some casual gameplay.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Stellaris isn't a bad game, I enjoy it. I would be more upset if I paid full price for it, but I got Utopia as a birthday gift, and I got the base game for cheap in a Humble Monthly Bundle. Levithian and Plantoids I got on sale from the Humble Store, and even got the additional discount for having a humble monthly membership when I got it. The only piece of DLC I paid full price for was the Nova edition upgrade, mostly for the soundtrack even when I could have gotten it for cheaper, but it's a good soundtrack.

Endless Space 2 on the other hand I got during Early Access, because I know what Amplitude studios' track record is. I know that the game will get more fleshed out as time goes on. The first major update will add Fighters and Bombers, and the most recent patch wasn't really a major update. It was a minor update.

Stellaris has a whole lot to see, but not a whole lot to explore. Endless Space 2 has less to see, but a whole lot more to explore. The unique planets, the different events really help out more. You feel like you are exploring the galaxy and finding new things. Stellaris is more like you find planets to colonize, but not a whole lot else.

Stellaris can take days, or even weeks to complete one game.
Endless Space 2 can take hours, or even a weekend to complete one game.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

any tips on what planet types to terraform to or to keep as is? so many buildings/hero traits give bonuses for hot, cold, fertile, and sterile that it seems like it's not worth terraforming to steppe, savannah, or monsoon unless going all the way to terran or forest. and jungle & boreal are actually pretty good depending on the FIDSI output you want?

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

It may not be as important, but ES2 has WAY better music and art direction than Stellaris, too.
ES2's music is more varied and it is pretty good, but that stellaris' "creation and beyond" is basically like shooting every great sci-fi space theme into my veins

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Bought the endless legend collection on steam sale.

This is the best civilization game out there, isn't it?

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

It's a great game yup. I love the universe building this series has had just through basically snippets of lore and an accompanying picture.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Truga posted:

Bought the endless legend collection on steam sale.

This is the best civilization game out there, isn't it?

Pretty much. I love the full version of Endless Legend *so* much.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
I'm going to snag Endless Space 2, but the talk about Endless Legend has got me interested too. If I consider Civilization 4 to be the perfect 4X, am I going to hate EL, or appreciate the differences, or are the two games not comparable?

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Its different. There is room for both in the world. Endless legend has much more fun combat and civ interactions. The building stuff is sorta weird cause you can only have one city per region but you get used to it. It's just a fantastic entry into the genre.

SetPhazers2Funk
Jan 27, 2008

Good, bad, I'm the one with the gun.
Fantasy setting aside, Endless Legend is what the Civ series could have been if Firaxis had continued innovating the gameplay instead of letting the series stagnate over the last decade.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Civ is the easy comparison, but it's a little messy, since in Civ the question is "Is my science science-y enough?" while in EL it's "Am I using my dust/industry efficiently enough?" The Civ habit of treating research as a winning stat in EL is deadly, since if you have something researched but can't build it, there was no point in researching it. You also don't really 'specialize' cities in the same way as you might in a Civ game. You try to make every city the best that it can be, given its geography.

The combat situation is very, very different. EL splits the middle on 1UPT, and allows you to form an army made of 4-8 units (depending on tech), and generally you want to have at least one army made up of complete badasses for field battles, and then whatever for the backfill. You wind up with neither stacks of doom nor carpets of doom. Some people hate the combat, some people love it, but it's not as straightforward as Civ's "stack one unit as hard as possible."

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Civilization is set on Earth.

Endless Legend is set on a hellhole of a planet called Auriga that you definitely should colonize if you find it in Endless Space because nothing bad will happen by settling down on it.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

Node posted:

I'm going to snag Endless Space 2, but the talk about Endless Legend has got me interested too. If I consider Civilization 4 to be the perfect 4X, am I going to hate EL, or appreciate the differences, or are the two games not comparable?

Like Civ V, it's got lots of interesting new ideas that make it worth playing but isn't nearly as well-executed as Civ IV. (but what is?)

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
Endless Legend owes a whole lot more to Alpha Centauri than it does Civ. Strongly differentiated factions, an overarching narrative, and personifying the environment in a way that emphasizes the fact that environmental pressure will bring the game to a close whether you want it to or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Node posted:

Did you play the Civ4 mod Fall from Heaven? Endless Legend is a lot like FFH in terms of setting, style and tone.