Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
ah the unironic loldrg player

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Mordiceius posted:

You're using your game registration code and not your early access code, right?

Vadoc posted:

Was it actually the registration code, or had you only previously entered the Early Access code? Check the registration code code again and that you went to the right place to enter it.

Good call, thanks. I'm dumb.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Infinity Gaia posted:

I keep second wind so I can heal papercuts on my own, or help myself mitigate possible mistakes I make. It's handy. 15 seconds of reduced aggro every 2 minutes just seems very pointless, and even without using it I haven't had many problems with tanks losing aggro. If it comes to the point where I find myself ripping aggro, I'll slot it in, but until then I'll keep my handy personal heal.

Hahahahahahahaha How The gently caress Is DPS Hurting Real Hahahaha Nigga Just Walk Away From The Orange Areas Like Nigga Hit Your W Key Haha

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Tanks who think they can still cross their tank stance off after getting an aggro lead are cute. Even in level 60 synced content, they're dropping aggro like it's hot thanks to E.Moulinet.

I didn't have issues doing it as a PLD in 60 dungeons against RDMs and SAMs, but I have no idea if they were pushing their aggro down buttons (they're pretty good players so probably). Also, I have a habit of starting in shield oath and doing 2 full halone combos with all cooldowns running before switching to sword stance, so it's pretty hard to catch up as long as I keep pushing buttons.

Saint Freak posted:

Hahahahahahahaha How The gently caress Is DPS Hurting Real Hahahaha Nigga Just Walk Away From The Orange Areas Like Nigga Hit Your W Key Haha

Nice.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

ah the unironic loldrg player

Second Wind is an emergency button I should never have to hit. Mistakes happen though and I prefer to clean up my own messes when I can.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av
Right but that's stupid for the reasons outlined above

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

corn in the bible posted:

bought ffxiv, excited to try it, sure wish excalibur would open

But you can't return ff14 before 2 hours is up :confused:

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Yeah, while discussion about healing in SB dungeons is still "Guys who aren't that good are having a particularly hard time" I'm keeping Second Wind. It's helped.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

apostateCourier posted:

Second Wind is an emergency button I should never have to hit. Mistakes happen though and I prefer to clean up my own messes when I can.

Second wind is probably very nice for solo content emergencies, but if you get hit by something in a dangerous moment group content, someone somewhere already hit their lustrate button. Or you're playing with bad healers, in which case, all is vain.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Truga posted:

Second wind is probably very nice for solo content emergencies, but if you get hit by something in a dangerous moment group content, someone somewhere already hit their lustrate button. Or you're playing with bad healers, in which case, all is vain.

Yeah, the bad healer problem is real. I'll probably take second wind off my bar when my FC is ready to do stuff together on a regular basis again.

apostateCourier fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Jun 24, 2017

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
Just play red mage, we have sick nasty heals

Bacontotem
May 27, 2010

Been pvping with the Balmung horrible nerd squad. Pvp is fun when you've got a team of samurai to descend upon one target as a group and turn them into paste while you tomahawk them as a warrior.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I'm finally getting around to putting all my other classes' bars together from the 4.0 changes now that I have one 70 and I just want to say that esuna needs to be a regular-rear end button

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Battle high/fever just paints a huge "kill this guy" target on you, to the point both alliances will gladly work with one another to kill you. Trust me when I say there is another 2 flames in this shot being obscured

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Leg Sweep is kinda useful in single player content, but for dungeons it's pretty much useless ain't it? Anything that needs to be stunned is better of being stunned by the tank

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
i kind of thought that there'd be more mechanics to stun or silence because, you know, that's like half of our role skills on tank, but you know i guess not

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

like, just having it on my hotbar makes me tempted to use it as an oGCD damage move out of habit.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Bosses in this game are certainly visually impressive. Just took down Ifrit, and for the first primal in the story that was already a much more dramatic looking fight than anything I'd expect outside a raid in other MMOs I've played.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Lansoc posted:

Is leveling any faster? I played when it was re-released and it was a slow agonizing drag.

The leveling experience for your first job isn't really any faster, but it's a lot faster than it was before for your follow on jobs. The downside is every method to speed up the process could literally be used to define the word "grind".

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Cythereal posted:

Bosses in this game are certainly visually impressive. Just took down Ifrit, and for the first primal in the story that was already a much more dramatic looking fight than anything I'd expect outside a raid in other MMOs I've played.

You're in for a treat with the rest of the Primals, but wait until you get to the Heavensward bosses. Bismarck and Ravana are really something.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Cythereal posted:

It's only going to get better from there. The game does an excellent job with major story bosses all around. The soundtrack helps a lot, too.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Cythereal posted:

and ifrit's probably the most boring primal in the game so you've got some good poo poo to look forward to

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I can't believe Susano's theme isn't ska

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Instance servers in EU are borked

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Brother Entropy posted:

and ifrit's probably the most boring primal in the game so you've got some good poo poo to look forward to

Ramuh is really dull, though possibly that's because of level 50 PLD tanking.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Augus posted:

like, just having it on my hotbar makes me tempted to use it as an oGCD damage move out of habit.

I am still trying to break the muscle memory of just reflexively throwing out Low Blow between Heavy Swing and Maim.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

SKULL.GIF posted:

Ramuh is really dull, though possibly that's because of level 50 PLD tanking.

i mostly just meant aesthetic-wise since ifrit's still got the generic chanting theme that was originally going to be the music for all primals

even ultima weapon has a theme with a similar idea but done 100 times cooler

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Leal posted:

But you can't return ff14 before 2 hours is up :confused:

I only do that for games I think will be funny but bad

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Remember as far as role abilities go, there is zero penalty to change them at any time outside of combat.

There is nothing to stop healers from casting protect at the start of a dungeon and then changing it out. DPS do not need a stun or silence unless they're specifically going to be stunning/silencing things.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
You guys are crazy there's tons of AE in trash pulls that is worth stunning to maintain uptime.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

:allears:

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
The spectacle of it all is why I play FFXIV because once you're done with that, you're just shifting numbers on a spreadsheet.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Mr. Nice! posted:

Remember as far as role abilities go, there is zero penalty to change them at any time outside of combat.

There is nothing to stop healers from casting protect at the start of a dungeon and then changing it out. DPS do not need a stun or silence unless they're specifically going to be stunning/silencing things.

I recast protect every time I raise someone so I'd rather not get in the habit of switching it out tbh, and now it costs 0 MP and that's hilariously nice.

e: though you did say dungeon, that's more of a thing in trials/raids.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

koji fox is wonderful

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

Blattdorf posted:

The spectacle of it all is why I play FFXIV because once you're done with that, you're just shifting numbers on a spreadsheet.

that's all mmos

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

Does anyone know how much damage reduction protect is actually supposed to give you? I tried casting it while getting hit by a random overworld mob to compare the numbers on autoattack damage, and if it was reducing the damage I took at all, it was by so little that I'd have to average out more than 10 attacks to even see it.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
without protect: https://udba.org/ff30/ffxiv_24062017_191911.jpg
with protect: https://udba.org/ff30/ffxiv_24062017_191916.jpg

I'm sure someone will do the math, but it's probably not enough to even matter unless you're a tonk? Maybe also drg for physical or caster for magic damage?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Protect increases your defense and magic defense by 10%. The damage mitigation from defense scales linearly (if you have X defense and mitigate Y damage, having 2X defense will mitigate 2Y damage). So Protect makes you mitigate 10% more damage than you would without it, and having more defense makes Protect more effective. If you normally mitigate 10% of the damage you take, Protect will make you mitigate 11% of it.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Blattdorf posted:

if that were true then execution would have zero impact on success and, well,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

i just did the 65 dungeon and that might be my favorite dungeon in all of ffxiv