Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

NoDamage posted:

Exactly what would have been worse than Trump winning the election and nominating a Secretary of Education that wants to gut public education, an EPA head that doesn't believe in climate change, a racist drug-war hawk as the attorney general, and (with Congress) pushing through a health care bill that will result in millions more uninsured and thousands more dying every year? No, my friends, we are already in the worst timeline.

Feel free to read that as "would not necessarily have made things better," and it may well be right. Witness how half our politically motivated population seems to have completely ignored the hard evidence of election meddling in order to cash in on the power they won partially thanks to that meddling (or, in a few cases, to cash in on the unmitigated high of Being Right About Centrists I guess). Obama being louder about things could have changed how the election turned out but I'm skeptical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Mystic Mongol posted:

Good news, engagement with the #hellerVoteYes tag is up 10,500%! No need to look at the tweets, Mr. Heller, let's get to voting.

This implies that Heller isn't sitting at his kitchen table scrolling through the tag and watching his re-election chances rise.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

spunkshui posted:

Somewere around the "I would be one of the most healthy presidents ever" I started to realize he might actually have a mental problem.

Dude is fat as hell doesn't seem fit by any measurement. Why would he even say that? It's not even something he needed to lie about.

Either that, or he's just being a populist and he knows his supporters will cheer if he says what they want to hear.

He had to say it to save even a modicum of face. He's coming after the two most athletic Presidents in recent history. You have to go back to Teddy Roosevelt and Taft to find a worse handoff.

Maybe he should have just said he was the healthiest major party candidate running. At least that had a chance to be true.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Even the goddamn GOP legislature had a lot of fun trying to make state employees say the magic words.

:v:: "So, uh, what would you call what happens in Miami during mild storms?"

:geno:: "...Nuisance flooding."

Reminder, "Nuisance flooding" is causing the sewers to back up on a not uncommon occurrence. Enjoy your poo poo water. LOL at FL always making sure it remains #1 worst state.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Krispy Kareem posted:

He had to say it to save even a modicum of face. He's coming after the two most athletic Presidents in recent history. You have to go back to Teddy Roosevelt and Taft to find a worse handoff.

Maybe he should have just said he was the healthiest major party candidate running. At least that had a chance to be true.

He also explicitly couched his misogynist attacks against Hillary's gender in the language of "stamina," so he had to juxtapose her weak, womanly fragility against his manly vigor, whether or not he consciously knew that was what he was doing. And Donald is incapable of speaking except in superlative and hyperbolic language.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

Paul MaudDib posted:

I actually literally feel bad for Donald Trump right now. Realtalk, as someone who watched a grandparent slide into Alzheimers, Trump is displaying serious signs of cognitive impairment. He reverts to younger behavior (discussing business over dinner) and leaks classified information in public literally right in front of the press. He forgets where he is in the middle of a photo op with Netanyahu and wanders off. This is not a guy who is fully grasping the contexts of where he is and what he's doing, and the mental degradation is so obvious from videos of even 10 years or so ago. He's in the hotseat of world power and he doesn't fully understand what is going on or what his actions will really do. Guy's probably confused why his usual approaches aren't working.

However we're now reaching the stage where he's literally being exploited by foreign leaders. The Qatari situation solely consists of the Saudis realizing that Trump is a senile loving chump who doesn't know where he is or the strategic needs of the US military in the middle east. It's highly likely his campaign has ties to the Russians regardless whether Trump knew or should have known, etc etc.

This is literally where Amendment 25 would be exercised by a healthy Congress. Trump doesn't know where he is or what he's doing, he's a distraction at best and at worst, a senile fool being exploited by foreign powers.

McCain is also loving senile. He tried to talk off the cuff and sundowned at a public hearing. Feinstein is not looking too great either.

I agree, mostly. A lot of people have said this before, but you put it nicely.

The one thing is, while there are pretty clear signs of cognitive impairment, diagnosing which type is beyond the information we have. It could be Alzheimers, but there are there are other types of dementia, with different symptoms and prognosis:

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/info/20007/types_of_dementia

As with so much else about Trump, we know something is wrong, but we don't know what it is.

My grandmother died in 2015, and she had pulmonary hypertension for some years, which gave her lower oxygen levels. She also had a hip fracture. This, together with all the medications she was taking, meant that she had a lot of problems with memory and focus. It wasn't Alzheimers, but it did end up with her being cognitively impaired. Sometimes she was normal, and sometimes not. There are a lot of causes for these types of things.

Also, somewhat like Donald Trump, my grandmother juggled a lot of things, and managed to keep it up while she was more alert. Once she had cognitive impairment, a lot of the stuff finally came home, and the federal SWAT teams came in, etc. (Not a joke, my grandmother's last six months of life had members of my family getting arrested and a federal prosecution. So this gives me some idea of what is going on with Trump.)

glowing-fish fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jun 24, 2017

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Oh absolutely. I'm just raising the technical point. As far as I can tell it's the only legitimate objection to the diagnosis.

The DSM is a research manual that does not sync up well with real world psychiatric illness. No good clinician allows technical points to undermine a diagnosis.

With that said it's incredibly silly to attempt arm chair distance diagnosis of anyone, especially someone whose entire career revolves around having a purposeful tailored preconstructed personality. This goes for the dementia stuff too.

Megasabin fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jun 24, 2017

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
i heard trump eats worms

c/d?

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/878656875444785153

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Duke Igthorn posted:

I LOVE Trump's constant supervillainesque "No one can stop me!! Mnya heh heh heh" taunts! Like it is literally my favorite thing about all of this poo poo is that he has just, repeatedly, stood up in public and screamed "Then why haven't you stopped me yet?? MmmmmmnnnnnnnYAHAHHAHHAHAHAHA!!" AND NO ONE HAS STOPPED HIM YET! Holy poo poo how cartoonishly villainous can someone actually be in real life??

He's literally a Captain Planet villain.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
That's an insult to Captain Planet villains and there's an episode about timetravel and selling Hitler a nuke.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Jealous Cow posted:

I feel weird even considering this, but was demonstrating he's eating pork a calculated tactic?

I don't think anyone believed Mark Zuckerberg was a secret muslim

Edit: and tenderloin sandwiches are good

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

There Bias Two posted:

Somewhere, someone read this and thought, "drat, we should at least be able to get that up to 1 in 3."

Not 3 out of 5? :v:

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

FuturePastNow posted:

I don't think anyone believed Mark Zuckerberg was a secret muslim

Edit: and tenderloin sandwiches are good

No but they believe he's one of them dastardly Jews.

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

RiggenBlaque posted:

Wow, I guess that super PAC is already putting out those heller ads, I just got this

It is almost 10:30 here in Nevada and every single one of Heller's phone lines have full mailboxes and his every Facebook post is full of "Vote no" people.

It's so hosed up that literally nothing can stop this bill that only 1% of the population actually wants. Even the government is exempting itself from it and the Dems aren't hammering them on that even after the lie of Dems being exempt from Obamacare is STILL around. Public approval ratings are against it, lobbyists are against it, the media is against it, it's like being in a speeding car and the brakes go out so you reach for the ebrake and it doesn't work, then you try to scrape the car along the guard rail but friction doesn't even slow you down, and then the door handle snaps off in your hand. It's hosed up and bizarre and nightmarish and it makes no loving sense.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Does this count children?

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

HootTheOwl posted:

Does this count children?

You're an idiot.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

So wait, the Republican's solution to the classic health insurance problem of, 'if insurance isn't required no one will buy it' is, 'if you don't buy it, you'll be ineligible for six months'?

I think it's funny that the party that's built a policy talking point out of health care 'access' wants to make it harder to get health insurance, to say nothing of its affordability.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Eltoasto posted:

It's a pork tenderloin sandwich. I know Indiana considers it the state food and I bet Iowa is much the same, so it's like bragging that you are in memphis eating BBQ, as ridiculous as that may sound.

But Tennessee doesn't have any barbecue? :confused:

I kid, I kid

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Even the goddamn GOP legislature had a lot of fun trying to make state employees say the magic words.

:v:: "So, uh, what would you call what happens in Miami during mild storms?"

:geno:: "...Nuisance flooding."

I distinctly remember one of them using the term "atmospheric restructuring" to try to get around the rule.

Burt Buckle
Sep 1, 2011

Mendrian posted:

So wait, the Republican's solution to the classic health insurance problem of, 'if insurance isn't required no one will buy it' is, 'if you don't buy it, you'll be ineligible for six months'?

I think it's funny that the party that's built a policy talking point out of health care 'access' wants to make it harder to get health insurance, to say nothing of its affordability.

Does the Republican Party even have convictions or positions anymore? They exist solely to stunt progress in american society.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

mango sentinel posted:

You're an idiot.

Hey, maybe if they hired a decent writer I would have bothered to read more than two paragraphs and wouldn't have had to ask.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Jealous Cow posted:

https://twitter.com/yashar/status/878437465282953216

I feel weird even considering this, but was demonstrating he's eating pork a calculated tactic?

I can't think of a more cynical triangulation. Everyone knows he's the least folksy white male alive so showing that he's really Jewish but not one of those "bad' Jews who doesn't eat pork makes a lot of sense. Nobody is going to buy Westchester richboy Zuck thinks that Iowa is his "kind of place."

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Burt Buckle posted:

Does the Republican Party even have convictions or positions anymore? They exist solely to stunt progress in american society.

1) More money for us.
2) gently caress you.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Mendrian posted:

I'm assuming that's an awful fig leaf to insurers for killing the mandate

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

quote:

In Florida, 1.5 million people were disenfranchised by a law that disqualifies ex-felons from voting, resulting in one in every four African American residents unable to vote in 2016.

25% of black Floridians are felons? What?

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

Burt Buckle posted:

We went over this a while ago and I believe the consensus reached was that 'the republican party is the party of white resentment.'
Sounds about right. Just an unending list of grievances and a plan to destroy everything Obama did.

Mango Sentinel posted:

1) More money for us.
2) gently caress you.

And always, forever, this.

KickerOfMice fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jun 24, 2017

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

boner confessor posted:

i am a maedical professional, and in my professional medical opinion trump is a narcissist with early onset demential thank you

Comedy option would be neurosyphilis. Maybe he caught a bullet during his personal Vietnam?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I thought this sounded weird too, but Florida has 1.5 million disenfranchised adults (in prison/jail, on parole, or past felony conviction) and something to the tune of 3.5 million black people total.

It, uh, sounds plausible. :stare:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
A lot of y'all would be felons too if you got arrested and prosecuted at the rates black folks do. Get pulled over for driving whole black, etc.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

A lot of y'all would be felons too if you got arrested and prosecuted at the rates black folks do. Get pulled over for driving whole black, etc.

Well yeah, I was just vaguely surprised by the number being 25% of total adults.

In hindsight, not sure why I was.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Fitzy Fitz posted:

There are areas where that percentage gets even higher, iirc. Both the laws (mandatory minimum sentencing specifically targeting drugs associated with black people over those associated with white people) and the courts are stacked against black people. Look at stuff like conviction rates and chance to be wrongfully sentenced by race. poo poo's hosed.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Duke Igthorn posted:

I LOVE Trump's constant supervillainesque "No one can stop me!! Mnya heh heh heh" taunts! Like it is literally my favorite thing about all of this poo poo is that he has just, repeatedly, stood up in public and screamed "Then why haven't you stopped me yet?? MmmmmmnnnnnnnYAHAHHAHHAHAHAHA!!" AND NO ONE HAS STOPPED HIM YET! Holy poo poo how cartoonishly villainous can someone actually be in real life??

He has retroactively justified every single ham-fisted greedy villain character. I used to think songs like Capital G were a bit on the nose but welp here we are with the AHCA and even Hallelujah Money is downright subtle by comparison.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Yeah, definitely. That statistic is still freaking me out though.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Peven Stan posted:

I can't think of a more cynical triangulation. Everyone knows he's the least folksy white male alive so showing that he's really Jewish but not one of those "bad' Jews who doesn't eat pork makes a lot of sense. Nobody is going to buy Westchester richboy Zuck thinks that Iowa is his "kind of place."

https://twitter.com/InternetHippo/status/878630411412406272

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Fitzy Fitz posted:

25% of black Americans have a felony conviction. Florida is actually a little higher. Jim Crow never went away.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

PhazonLink posted:

Reminder.

He banned state workers from saying the gw words and the c-word[insert pun joke about the land going seaward here] , his wife owns the drug testing company that did the drug testing for gov. benefits program, and he's literally the tall skinny bald o evil comic villain.

Marvel/DC/Image/some small label comic company needs to come out with a series that is just these people with the serial numbers filed off starting as villains. Just give them a fake name, and use these kinds of stories as the bad guys.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

mango sentinel posted:

25% of black Americans have a felony conviction. Florida is actually a little higher. Jim Crow never went away.

No loving way. It's maybe half that for only adult black men.

.Edit: no actually this is about right. The figure I was thinking of was for those currently disenfranchised. Shocking.

Ogmius815 fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jun 24, 2017

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

Duke Igthorn posted:

This is actually a facet of sociopathic behavior. Go look at any interview with Dahmer after he's caught and he keep repeating that he wanted to stop killing people, but he was so amazed that it was so easy and no one stopped him. So he kept going. Or at least that's his rationalization of it.

Hastings
Dec 30, 2008

Ogmius815 posted:

Narcissistic personality disorder is a clinical disorder and being a mental patient raised by a cult does not make you competent to diagnose it, especially in someone you have never met.

Maybe not, but as someone working in mental health with a background in diagnostics, I and my colleagues agree that he is a classic case of Narcissistic Personality Disorder. Even looking at old footage, it is apparent. He can never be wrong and everything is about his successes, and he only aligns with individuals who can serve a need he has.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
Assuming you lost your job unexpectedly, how long would you have to get on the exchange? A month?

• Locked thread