Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

HATECUBE posted:

ss3 better deliver harder than bioshock and its sequels or I'll be pissed

I know Warren Spector has made some good stuff, but it was all a long time ago, and I have to admit I am skeptical. He's also made a lot of bad stuff, and it was all a lot more recent than the good stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Anybody done a no Neuromod nightmare run?

The thing I probably dread most is not upgrading my backpack space.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
I just picked this up in the Steam sale and I am loving it. Quick question though, I seem to be getting my rear end kicked by everything. Anyone have any tips on combat? So far I mostly just try to get in a stealth shot and then unload a million silenced pistol bullets into the Typhon's face, but I'm starting to run low on ammo and materials.

I just finished up the Materials Lab and watched the full version of the Morgan video if that helps at all.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Combat is hardest early on when you don't have a lot of specialization, but can get pretty easy later even when harder enemies start to show up. Get stealth attacks where possible, don't underestimate the power of the wrench, and use weapon upgrade kits whenever possible. Specializing into firearms, stealth attacks, or gunsmith early can help a lot if you're going that route. Lots of powers will help with combat (combat rush in particular is very powerful), but early on you're splitting neuromods so many different ways with skills like hacking, repair, and suit upgrades, so focusing on combat related skills might be something you put off.
Regarding weapon kits, one thing worth knowing is that any upgrade that increases number of shots or duration of shots will increase ammo efficiency. In the example of the stun gun, one shot without upgrades takes 25 ammo. Fully upgraded each shot takes about 7 ammo.
Grenades of all sorts help, and the environment usually has damaging puddles, explosive barrels, or hazardous pipes you can vent, so always use your surroundings to your advantage.

The biggest thing I'd say to keep in mind is that this game uses a system where incapacitated enemies take more damage. GLOOing an enemy first can make it take over 2x damage. Electric stuns work too, and you can stun an unaware enemy with the stun gun and still get a stealth attack in after, so the stealth+stun multipliers can really add up fast. Anything that shuts off psi powers or abilities counts as a disabling multiplier, too. So GLOO, stungun, grenade, and various powers can be great openers to take down an enemy's defense and let you get in t here with a wrench, shotgun, etc. to cash in on big damage.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Combat gets hectic because the enemies are tricky and way more agile than you. You can spend ten minutes devising a battle plan for it to be immediately thrown out the window when a phantom decides to randomly teleport.

But you should still try to use the environment to your advantage. Lead an unsuspecting phantom into a hallway of turrets. Shoot the glass from under a mimic. Be aware where the explosives are -- this is one of those things that works better in theory than practice because fights are generally too chaotic to reliably blow things up the way you planned, but it's still important to keep in mind.

Also pay attention to enemy behavior. For example phantoms are fast and nimble, which makes them hard to track. When closing in on them they'll often teleport, which is disorienting. But usually they'll land right behind you. Which makes them predictable; turn around and shotgun their face.

Other than that, as I always say, think twice before attacking because you don't necessarily need to fight then and there.

And yeah, the GLOO gun is a fantastic early game force multiplier. It incapacitates, which makes enemies easier targets and stops their attacks, allows you to effectively use the wrench (which saves ammo), on top of literally amplifying the damage you're dealing.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jun 24, 2017

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

axeil posted:

I just picked this up in the Steam sale and I am loving it. Quick question though, I seem to be getting my rear end kicked by everything. Anyone have any tips on combat? So far I mostly just try to get in a stealth shot and then unload a million silenced pistol bullets into the Typhon's face, but I'm starting to run low on ammo and materials.

I just finished up the Materials Lab and watched the full version of the Morgan video if that helps at all.

Just keep plugging away. The combat eventually gets pretty easy, about halfway through the game you can basically handle anything the game throws at you.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Rinkles posted:

And yeah, the GLOO gun is a fantastic early game force multiplier. It incapacitates, which makes enemies easier targets and stops their attacks, allows you to effectively use the wrench (which saves ammo), on top of literally amplifying the damage you're dealing.
Also allows you to ambush someone next to an explosive object ensuring you can detonate it. Both the GLOO and stun guns are invaluable early-game, and the stun gun remains so all game.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Just keep plugging away. The combat eventually gets pretty easy, about halfway through the game you can basically handle anything the game throws at you.

Yeah, pity about that.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i'm gonna start playing this but i only have it on ps4 so i'm probably gonna play on easy so i don't have to get mad at the constant stutter during fights making me miss shots and die

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Real hurthling! posted:

i'm gonna start playing this but i only have it on ps4 so i'm probably gonna play on easy so i don't have to get mad at the constant stutter during fights making me miss shots and die

They need to fix that poo poo ASAP. I had to quit after the first hour post Pro patch because I felt nauseous. The brain is a weird and stubborn thing, so by the third session my mind adjusted to it but that's hosed up.

Worst thing is they're virtually silent on the subject. Best I could find is a community manager's reply on reddit confirming that they're aware and investigating the issue.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

axeil posted:

but I'm starting to run low on ammo and materials.

Invest in the Engineering perk that increases recycler yields by 30%. Anything that goes in your inventory can be crafted pretty much, and having more materials means having more ammo, or more mods or medkits or whatever you need. If I recall it's just three mods to get that upgrade, which is absolutely worth it.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yo actually the chip that makes operators drop Q-Cell and Disruptor Ammo combined with the above perks just kind of make you an Operator Angel of Death.

Something else I love about Prey is that everything in the game becomes a resource and you can spec to abuse all of them.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i also just picked this up on steam and was feeling the squeeze in early game combat, especially with phantoms. then i realized i can john woo slide up to phantoms and blast them in the face with the shotgun. i actually find that basic mimics are more annoying as they almost never have loot. but also one tactic it took me getting combat focus to realize worked really well is that if you freeze something with the gloo gun and fully charge up a wrench attack to its noggin, while it flies through the air you have time to switch back to the gloo gun and shut it down again. you can usually kill a phantom without taking damage with nothing but the gloo gun and the wrench.

i probably put off combat focus and recycler too long. i definitely put recycler off for too long since its literally just more stuff for nothing. i would advise anyone who picks this up to mod their shotguns damage with your first mod, that thing is beefy and indispensable in the early game. i am not as impressed with the pistol, and i actually forgot all about the stun gun for too long and have been upgrading it recently but thats maybe spoiler territory for anyone coming in brand new and blind.

this game loving rules.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

The stun gun is pretty cool, especially when modded. Stunning Typhon long enough for a couple of shotgun blasts to the noggin isn't nothing.

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Jun 25, 2017

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

The stun gun is actually one of the best weapons to upgrade first. It makes dealing with operators and technopaths ridiculously easy.

HATECUBE
Mar 2, 2007

stunning a phantom then wrenching it twice untill it falls over is like WTF broke

glue stun wrench on hard lyfe

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
That first phantom that you can encounter if you go through the museum on the ground floor of the lobby is such a dick move, but also a good tutorial on being creative to defeat enemies. What makes it less cool, however, is that it doesn't appear unless you do that first thing, so either it's your first enemy encounter ever or you never see it.

HATECUBE
Mar 2, 2007

another thing to keep in mind is that mobs spans harder if you backtrack against the story

go to engineering to pick some cable and get the free suit repair? when you get back to the lobby there might be a few extra phantoms... next time add a weaver. dont even get me started on the density in atrium

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

CJacobs posted:

That first phantom that you can encounter if you go through the museum on the ground floor of the lobby is such a dick move, but also a good tutorial on being creative to defeat enemies. What makes it less cool, however, is that it doesn't appear unless you do that first thing, so either it's your first enemy encounter ever or you never see it.

Yeah I encountered that fellow. And then he lead me into a whole host of mimics. What a dick. That encounter is what forced me to switch from Hard to Normal as I just couldn't get past it.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I like the pistol as a precision weapon (you can still fire when using the zoom scope, turning into a sniper rifle of sorts), for things you don't want to get close to, or for things you don't want to waste a whole shotgun rounds on (or puncturing O2 pipes), and it's still okay for burst damage if you spam the trigger. When you're low on shotgun ammo a quick series of point blank headshots into a stunned phantom does the trick almost as well.

HATECUBE posted:

another thing to keep in mind is that mobs spans harder if you backtrack against the story

go to engineering to pick some cable and get the free suit repair? when you get back to the lobby there might be a few extra phantoms... next time add a weaver. dont even get me started on the density in atrium

Optionally going back to the neuromod division and then returning to the lobby doesn't do this though.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The pistol's wimpy "bip bip bap pew pew" firing sound belies that it is actually quite powerful once you start putting upgrades into it. I wish the firing sound would've gotten more percussive as you upgraded the damage or something.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

axeil posted:

Yeah I encountered that fellow. And then he lead me into a whole host of mimics. What a dick. That encounter is what forced me to switch from Hard to Normal as I just couldn't get past it.
I got past it by going up the stairs on the other side of the lobby and walking along the decorative ledge to get to the second floor without having to go near him :cool:

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

CJacobs posted:

The pistol's wimpy "bip bip bap pew pew" firing sound belies that it is actually quite powerful once you start putting upgrades into it. I wish the firing sound would've gotten more percussive as you upgraded the damage or something.
It's a silenced pistol, though. The lack of auditory punch is on purpose.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Rinkles posted:

(you can still fire when using the zoom scope, turning into a sniper rifle of sorts),

THE WAIT WHAT? :monocle:

E: Finally finished last night, been largely avoiding the thread in case of spoilers. I chose to (major)Complete the Nullwave for Alex, then co-operate with the humans.

You could very easily see the budget had ran out for the last few sections (especially Dahl), which is a real shame. This game is so good in so many little ways, it's criminal it got marketed so badly we're unlikely to see a Prey 2 simply because of it.

Shockeh fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Jun 25, 2017

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Jack Trades posted:

Do yourself a favor and do just that.
Nier: Automata is seriously one of those few games that you can use the word "art" to describe, unironically.
You won't regret it if you have any modicum of taste.

How many anime pillows do you own?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Shockeh posted:

THE WAIT WHAT? :monocle:

The psychoscope has a zoom function.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

The Lone Badger posted:

The psychoscope has a zoom function.

Oh right, that's OK then. (My Psychoscope got used for two things - Research, and ID'ing Mimics.)

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

CJacobs posted:

I'm in the arboretum (and taking my life in my hands by reading the thread) but the hardest fights in the game I've had so far were the souped-up phantoms (and mimic, I guess) on the way back to my office from the machine shop.

admittedly mostly because I hadn't embraced the love and mercy of Our Lord And Savior Q-Beam

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I probably didn't give the Q-Beam a fair enough shake, but I didn't like it. The other options are just generally better, and given the space and weapon kit restrictions it's just not worth it for those few occasions where it is the best answer. I only used it early on when I was short on ammo for other things (because I foolhardly tried to take down a powerful typhon).

You can't blow up inanimate objects with it, can you? (never tried)

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
The Q-Beam was my go-to weapon for any enemy tougher than a phantom. When upgraded it's incredibly ammo-efficient (both power and firing time will give you more bang for your buck), and the power can be incredible. At max, 50 cells or so will vaporize almost any large enemy. Weavers were a hassle for me until I learned to just use the Beam on them, then they were a drat cakewalk. The Beam also has a huge bonus against mimics for some reason, popping them in a split second if properly powered up.
The best feature for me, however, was that it's basically my only long-range option. Being able to take out big foes from a long ways off was a welcome change.

It's also one of the few weapons that works well on every single enemy. Cells are relatively plentiful. With some drop rate+ chipsets and the aforementioned frugal upgrades you can really make your ammo last, even if it's your staple weapon. And if you recycle frequently you'll be able to crank out a huge surplus -- manufacturing one unit gives you 200 cells!

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Did you play with mouse and keyboard, because I didn't like how unwieldy aiming it felt (on a gamepad)? Outside constricted spaces like GUTS I can't imagine using it at long ranges.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

fridge corn posted:

How many anime pillows do you own?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I played with gamepad and the qbeam was amazing.

Its the shotgun and pistol I never understood the point of on my first run. Why use the shotgun when you have the wrench?

Qbeam us great though and comboes well with everything else since damage done to the enemy still makes them qbeam explode faster. And it doesnt need a bunch of skills to make it useful.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

GlyphGryph posted:

I played with gamepad and the qbeam was amazing.

Its the shotgun and pistol I never understood the point of on my first run. Why use the shotgun when you have the wrench?

Qbeam us great though and comboes well with everything else since damage done to the enemy still makes them qbeam explode faster. And it doesnt need a bunch of skills to make it useful.

The wrench does piddling damage unless you get the neuromods or you take the time to immobilize them. With a few weapon upgrades (and there are dozens of those lying around) the shotgun will straight-up delete phantoms with two shots

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Is there a way to fix the air in the Shuttle Bay the first time you visit it? That system alert noise gets on my nerves.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Another reason I was reluctant to upgrade the Q beam is that it requires its own neuromod tree. The only other weapon that benefits from that skill is the GLOO gun, which is good enough barely upgraded.

Moonwolf
Jun 29, 2004

Flee from th' terrifyin' evil of "NHS"!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The wrench does piddling damage unless you get the neuromods or you take the time to immobilize them. With a few weapon upgrades (and there are dozens of those lying around) the shotgun will straight-up delete phantoms with two shots

The shotgun also 1 shots Weavers if you get the drop on them, or have stunned them first.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

The shotgun also doesn't make you winded after the fourth shot.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

The wrench doesn't accidentally kill two mimics you didn't notice when applying a shotgun to a phantom's face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Public service announcement: the airlock for the Power Plant is right outside that timed sidequest you get there.

It's somewhat faster than jogging across the station to the machine shop. :shepface: