Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What regions belong in the Pacific Northwest?
Alaska, US
British Columbia, CA
Washington, US
Oregon, US
Idaho, US
Montana, US
Wyoming, US
California, US (MODS PLEASE BAN ANYONE VOTING FOR THIS OPTION TIA)
View Results

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

therobit posted:

What about the eastern half of the state where they pronounce it that way?

A slur on Eastern Washingtonians, who've already suffered enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

therobit posted:

What about the eastern half of the state where they pronounce it that way?
You'e never actually visited those areas, or you went there and primarily communicated only with visiting ski/snowboard instructors who were young kids from another state.

I'm glad that you've found a new area of niche expertise to look down on the rest or the region from, because Bradley your kid's ski instructor pronounces the state differently and claims he's a local with 2 years exp. Also, he's loving your wife.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
Nah I'm talking about country cousins from tri cities, walla walla, etc.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

therobit posted:

Considering the whole "warsh" thing is a east/south US thing I'm going to say you're just full of poo poo.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

ElCondemn posted:

Considering the whole "warsh" thing is a east/south US thing I'm going to say you're just full of poo poo.

Lol ok bud.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

therobit posted:

Assuming you're being literal I'm pretty sure that says more about your family's origins in the US than about eastern Washington.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

ElCondemn posted:

My in-laws from Central Illinois call it warshington.

It's more spread than I expected (limited personally to John McCain)

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Idiots do it, but every person I've ever known who was from the PNW was quick to correct them when they did so. Unless it was like their Grandparents or something, nobody is going to make Grandma feel dumb about not knowing how to pronounce something.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

It's not like y'all would pronounce Appalachia right. I'm going to think of you PNW oldtimers as wurshington and orey-goons.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

our can sauce

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Wisconsin people also get pretty anal about it too.

STOP LITTERING
Sep 11, 2005

therobit posted:

the only Country Cousin that matters is in Centralia.

Protip: order the cheese sticks.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Corny Cornflake posted:

The data center I worked at before my current job hosted their website :3:

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Corny Cornflake posted:

that place owns

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

It does indeed own.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
If you would like to smash the windows of an expensive car that belongs to a couple of shithead kids, there's a chance that is totally legal

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

anthonypants posted:

If you would like to smash the windows of an expensive car that belongs to a couple of shithead kids, there's a chance that is totally legal

As the owner of 2 dogs, it should also be legal to use whatever tool you used to break the car window against the owner.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

anthonypants posted:

The single most amazing part of the article is that the owners didn't immediately fly off the handle and warn everyone that their dad was totally friends with lawyers who would sue their asses.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
The first person I ever heard say Warsh was our tour guide at the Capitol.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

reignonyourparade posted:

People should only be allowed to move to washington if they don't pronounce it warshington.
That's a Washington accent, you johnny-come-lately.

We used to have one before half of California moved up here and pop became soda.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

LividLiquid posted:

That's a Washington accent, you johnny-come-lately.

We used to have one before half of California moved up here and pop became soda.

And it was Soda (soder) before that until you chuckleheads from idaho came flooding west.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Someone takes the cougs/vandals rivalry a little too seriously.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Everyone seems to be talking about that new study on Seattle's minimum wage law, aka it reduced worker hours to the point where workers are making less now:

https://qz.com/1014759/seattles-minimum-wage-increase-made-the-most-vulnerable-workers-poorer/

I'm guessing it's going to take more time to see it normalize, but automation will probably consume us by then.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

seiferguy posted:

Everyone seems to be talking about that new study on Seattle's minimum wage law, aka it reduced worker hours to the point where workers are making less now:

https://qz.com/1014759/seattles-minimum-wage-increase-made-the-most-vulnerable-workers-poorer/

I'm guessing it's going to take more time to see it normalize, but automation will probably consume us by then.
Limiting the scope of their study to businesses with only one location is laughable at best.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Yeah, that study excludes the businesses that would most be able to shoulder the burden of a higher minimum wage.

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

And sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky
A human being that was given to fly

seiferguy posted:

That study was sponsored by: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laura_and_John_Arnold_Foundation

It has been getting ripped apart all day. Pretty much everything about it is bullshit.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Haven't there been studies out forquite a while showing that it had very limited impact at best on worker hours and production? Besides a lot of min wage workers have a second or third job so I would guess they would still be capable to stay busy enough to make at least thier previous wage, and if they decide to do that in fewer hours then that would be a benefit to rhem.

Munchables
Feb 8, 2015

Ask/tell me about legal cannibalism

Haha, was that Laura lady the one that tried to get a petition through that would remove the 15/hr and let people vote on if they wanted it to change to the incremental wage increase over like 9 years? I was up in Seattle with a crew blocking those guys back in 2014 and half of them hadn't even read the petition they were carrying.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Munchables posted:

Haha, was that Laura lady the one that tried to get a petition through that would remove the 15/hr and let people vote on if they wanted it to change to the incremental wage increase over like 9 years? I was up in Seattle with a crew blocking those guys back in 2014 and half of them hadn't even read the petition they were carrying.

Are paid signature gatherers just ans Oregon thing?

Munchables
Feb 8, 2015

therobit posted:

Are paid signature gatherers just ans Oregon thing?

No, why?

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
Yeah, nobody's even talking about how many of the people who this helps are working way too much and are finally able to get by without working to death.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

therobit posted:

Haven't there been studies out forquite a while showing that it had very limited impact at best on worker hours and production? Besides a lot of min wage workers have a second or third job so I would guess they would still be capable to stay busy enough to make at least thier previous wage, and if they decide to do that in fewer hours then that would be a benefit to rhem.
Yes, this new study is going to create the rhetoric that, "aha, maybe in the short term things looked all rosy, but now we see the long-term effects! and they are disastrous!!!!!!!!"

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Working 60 hours a week for $10 an hour and then getting it cut to 40 a week for $15/hr is objectively less money but also much less exhausting. Personal decision if it's an improvement or not but for a lot of people it probably is.

A lot of people probably don't WANT to work 60 hours a week but their three 20 hour a week jobs demand every second of it from them.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

It seemed like you were implying that they should have read or cared about the petition, but in my experience the people getting paid to gather signatures are on the bottom rungs already, and not in much of a position to turn down paying work due to politics.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

anthonypants posted:

FYI this is still sadly illegal in Washington State, only first responders are allowed to make that call. It's pretty terrible because dogs and cats are definitely going to die, it happens every loving summer and I can't understand how people aren't more aware at this point.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

DevNull posted:

That study was sponsored by: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laura_and_John_Arnold_Foundation

It has been getting ripped apart all day. Pretty much everything about it is bullshit.

Even if it weren't, if you can't pay a living wage to your workers, are you really providing them anything and deserving of existence as a business? For gently caress's sake, $15 is nothing.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

dont even fink about it posted:

Even if it weren't, if you can't pay a living wage to your workers, are you really providing them anything and deserving of existence as a business? For gently caress's sake, $15 is nothing.

The McDonald's next to my house in West Seattle has a sign in the drive-through window from the franchise owner stating that menu prices may be higher than national promotions due to minimum wage requirements in the city.

I'm sitting in my car like "I just got a sack of food for like $10. I can deal."

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Are they even allowed to do that? If someone cares enough to rat them out to corporate they might get stomped on.

Munchables
Feb 8, 2015

therobit posted:

It seemed like you were implying that they should have read or cared about the petition, but in my experience the people getting paid to gather signatures are on the bottom rungs already, and not in much of a position to turn down paying work due to politics.

Ooooh, yeah I getcha. I was in a hurry with that post and probably should have explained that part better. What I meant to say but didn't was that those guys were misrepresenting the petition, saying it was for something completely different, or that it was the petition to get the 15/hr, and when our guys asked to read the petition they were carrying and told them what it said they seemed to be surprised that it said that, and a few wanted to get hired on with us. I didn't mean to criticize the petitioners so much as their employers tactics. I have plenty of first-hand experience with that job area so I know the slumps those peeps are in, and it really sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

McDonalds hasn't really represented a good value for a long time anyway. I can get local food for the same price and it tastes better. Most of their ads say "prices and participation may vary" so I kind of doubt that he is going to get into trouble with McDonalds corporation or lose his franchise, but holy poo poo if you actually need to raise prices why would you draw attention to it in this way? To me it seems like it can't really do you much good, but could do harm. Small business owners can be so dumb.