Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Something neat is that unlike the modern Cybermen, the Mondasian, at least Bill the Prototype, seems to have imperfect emotion dampening. When she checked her database and realised that SHE was Bill Potts, she started expressing individuality at least in some form, with "I waITED. FoOooor... YoOoUu.." As far as I remember the revival Cybermen only did that in exceptional circumstances with CyberBrigg and Danny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Vinylshadow posted:

A delightfully creepy episode

I hadn't been spoiled on the fact the guy hanging out with Bill was in fact Simms until he peeled his face off, so that was a neat twist

"A positive attitude will help with the horror to come."
"What horror?"
"Mainly the tea."

"When you hug me, it hurts my heart."
"Aw, sweet."
"No, your chest piece, it digs right in."

Fingers crossed Moffat has the balls to keep Bill "dead" and not pull a Clara on us

killing a gay black woman off would be loving vile

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
There is an almost zero chance Bill stays a cyberman or dies completely.

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

This was really good which makes even less hopeful that the next episode will be good, mostly since I don't think I've enjoyed the second half of a Moffat two parter since uhhh...Forest of the Dead or Day of the Moon.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

BioEnchanted posted:

Something neat is that unlike the modern Cybermen, the Mondasian, at least Bill the Prototype, seems to have imperfect emotion dampening. When she checked her database and realised that SHE was Bill Potts, she started expressing individuality at least in some form, with "I waITED. FoOooor... YoOoUu.." As far as I remember the revival Cybermen only did that in exceptional circumstances with CyberBrigg and Danny.

It's actually been fairly common in the revival: the old head of Torchwood retains enough of her identity to kill a bunch of Cybermen while droning that she did it for Queen and Country; the Cyberman they spoke to in the sewers in the alternate Earth 2-parter started freaking out when it remembered it had been a mother with kids; Craig is able to break free after hearing his baby cry etc.

To be fair, in the classic series - particularly in the 80s - they often forgot the Cybermen were supposed to be emotionless too. "EXCELLENT!"

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I forgot all about those.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

BioEnchanted posted:

No they've been doing it as far back as season 2. In their introduction 2 parter the one that was roses mum uses that information to suss out that rose and her dad aren't brainwashed. In the final episode to that season a cyberman created from the head of torchwood remembers that she was doing her duty to the extent that she is able to rebel and hold off other cybermen.

Ergo we know that: cybermen retain memories of who they were, but on the whole they won't care about it.
Sufficient singlemindedness when being converted can carry over. In this case bill remembers that the doctor told her to wait, and is able to tell him that she waited. Plus the next episodes preview seems to imply that she'll help him anyway.

E:fb (although the cyberman in the sewers was a woman who was going to get married in the morning, a fact I know from watching that two parter yesterday)

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

DoctorWhat posted:

killing a gay black woman off would be loving vile

Why.
Would it be OK if Bill was an old straight white dude?
Why does her gender, ethnicity or sexuality make a difference?

I loved that at the start when the Doctor was explaining his plan in the kitchen he was wearing a tatty old coat, but changed to a nice clean velvet one for their kebab dinner on the roof.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Mr Beens posted:

Why.
Would it be OK if Bill was an old straight white dude?
Why does her gender, ethnicity or sexuality make a difference?

I loved that at the start when the Doctor was explaining his plan in the kitchen he was wearing a tatty old coat, but changed to a nice clean velvet one for their kebab dinner on the roof.

So far all of the companions in the new series have survived (I'm counting Amy too seeing as she was just sent back in time to live out a full life). Clara even got immortality and a tardis. If Bill becomes the first to experience a proper on screen death then you do have to wonder whether that's due to her being a minority.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
because there are no gay black women on tv and when gay women and women of color do show up, they are killed off violently or tragically at disproportionate rates.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

To be clear I'd have no problem if on screen companion death was something that had been established up until now, but it isn't.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I'm kind of hoping someone threatens Simm with "I'll hit you so hard you'll turn into her!" Also I quite liked Missy's response to the Blue Man: "Are you human?!" "Oh, don't be a bitch..."

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

BSam posted:

I need to watch that episode again. I only just remembered Talkie Toaster features.

Ahh, so you're a WAFFLE man!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ewe2 posted:

Ahh, so you're a WAFFLE man!

NO I DO NOT WANT A CRUMPET! :cripes:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
I actually am sort of wondering when exactly 'Bill is going to have this happen at the end of the season' happened in relation to the decision of 'Bill is going to be a gay lesbian'. I suspect that the former might have been set in stone before the latter, and they just figured that since this companion's only going to be around for one season they don't have to worry about blowback or running out of ideas on how to implement that in stories without shoehorning or downplaying it (which they did really well all through the season, honestly). They've got twelve episodes to play with and that's it, let's explore the actual ways this might come into play and and then just be done.

I don't want Bill to die like this either, but that's less because 'it's really lovely if the first gay companion is also the first one to die in a very long time', and more because 'oh god, not like this, don't have the character I really like die like that!'

Jerusalem posted:

It's actually been fairly common in the revival: the old head of Torchwood retains enough of her identity to kill a bunch of Cybermen while droning that she did it for Queen and Country; the Cyberman they spoke to in the sewers in the alternate Earth 2-parter started freaking out when it remembered it had been a mother with kids; Craig is able to break free after hearing his baby cry etc.

To be fair, in the classic series - particularly in the 80s - they often forgot the Cybermen were supposed to be emotionless too. "EXCELLENT!"

Honestly, if we consider Spare Parts (and you loving KNOW Moffat did) it squares, it didn't take Yvonne much to remember enough of her family to go back to them. I can imagine that the original Mondasian Cybermen just don't have good emotional dampeners. It doesn't seem a particularly huge priority given the reasoning for the conversion, the emotions only really become an obvious weakness afterwards.

Another little thing I like about this episode that they wordlessly carried over from Spare Parts: The Mondasian Cybermen are pretty tall for some reason! They added height to both Bill and Yvonne, but realistically there isn't much reason to. Later Cybermen have uniform heights, but that makes sense since after a point they're mass-producing more and more uniform Cybermen. The Mondasians are augmented out of necessity to stop them from dying, but apparently the process adds a foot or so as like, a bonus feature!

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Cleretic posted:

Honestly, if we consider Spare Parts (and you loving KNOW Moffat did) it squares, it didn't take Yvonne much to remember enough of her family to go back to them. I can imagine that the original Mondasian Cybermen just don't have good emotional dampeners.

I'm not sure it's the same thing as with Spare Parts, unfortunately. Yvonne only remembers her family because she's not actually converted. Her operation left her only partly lobotomised, thanks to a power outage, and her personality reverts to a childlike state.

We do see a handful of other converted Mondasians, and they're completely emotionless.

(Spare Parts is a really good story, and Marc Platt is a great writer.)

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Here you definitely can consider bad emotional dampers though. Bill's a prototype after all.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

The only thing I never got is how blocking emotions stops people/cybermen 'caring' about pain.

Pain is not an emotion. Pain is pain and even without emotions it's easily powerful enough to shut down a body. No matter your state of mind, if you're in enough pain you simply cannot move your body properly or will faint.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Carbon dioxide posted:

The only thing I never got is how blocking emotions stops people/cybermen 'caring' about pain.

Pain is not an emotion. Pain is pain and even without emotions it's easily powerful enough to shut down a body. No matter your state of mind, if you're in enough pain you simply cannot move your body properly or will faint.

Yeah, the pain thing feels like a misstep. I thought the emotional inhibitor was to get around the existential horror of what you've done to yourself to survive. In Spare Parts it's specifically because people are so used to being inside of Mondas they can't cope on the surface and have mental breakdowns, like they have incredibly severe agoraphobia.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Carbon dioxide posted:

Some people "push past" pain as an act of will (like athletes and whatnot), maybe not having emotions to deal with makes that will stronger?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

To be fair, they don't need to move their bodies. Their robot parts probably would keep doing that even after they passed out, until they came to again and regained control enough to say "painpainpainpainpainpainpainpainpainpainpainpain"

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
And remember that the "solution" to the partial converts saying they were in pain was to just silence their speakers. The people running the hospital care about functionality, not what the patient is feeling.

EDIT: you know looking at pics of the costume, it's obvious the extra height is in the "handles" and helmet.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Jun 25, 2017

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Edited out due to forgetting one of the rules

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I do wonder if the Master was the one who gave the Mondasians on the ship the idea of Cyber-conversion in the first place. Who are the other aliens on the ship like Jorj, the blue guy? Where were/are they hiding?

I'm still thinking about this episode, definitely watching it again later.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

DoctorWhat posted:

because there are no gay black women on tv and when gay women and women of color do show up, they are killed off violently or tragically at disproportionate rates.

Yeah, if this was a horror movie, Bill would be dead before the BBFC plate.

The last companion to irreversibly snuff it with no take-backsies was Adric. Doesn't look good if they break the 34-year streak now.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Yeah, I'd love to get into the head of the couple people we see running the hospital. Get a clearer idea of their main motivations.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I hope Bill doesn't die and/or remain a Cyberman because that wouldn't be satisfying, although the Doctor trying and failing to save her might explain why he seemed to be trying to stop himself regenerating in the flashforward- maybe something happened that was traumatic enough that he no longer wants to live. Bill's mother has to come back into play somehow as well; yeah? She wasn't introduced just to pay off in that pathetic monk episode, surely?

TinTower posted:

Yeah, if this was a horror movie, Bill would be dead before the BBFC plate.

The last companion to irreversibly snuff it with no take-backsies was Adric. Doesn't look good if they break the 34-year streak now.

Dafuq you talking about, we saw Amy and Rory's grave and River and Clara died onscreen. Moffat kills companions.

2house2fly fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Jun 25, 2017

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Carbon dioxide posted:

I think it means you can continue to function and do your duty even though you're feeling agonizing pain. They don't care about their patients feeling pain as long as it doesn't cause inconvenience to them (like how the nurse muted the pain alarm).

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

2house2fly posted:

I hope Bill doesn't die and/or remain a Cyberman because that wouldn't be satisfying, although the Doctor trying and failing to save her might explain why he seemed to be trying to stop himself regenerating in the flashforward- maybe something happened that was traumatic enough that he no longer wants to live. Bill's mother has to come back into play somehow as well; yeah? She wasn't introduced just to pay off in that pathetic monk episode, surely?

Dafuq you talking about, we saw Amy and Rory's grave and River and Clara died onscreen. Moffat kills companions.

The true secret origin of Handles :3: Bill never stops being a companion, she's just found by Matt Smith.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

2house2fly posted:

Amy and Rory died of old age after being trapped in the 30s, River got archived in the Library, Clara is functionally immortal and is running about with Ashildr in a TARDIS.

Moffat likes to not-really-kill companions.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

And Bill is a cyberman :shrug:

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

2house2fly posted:

Amy and Rory were sent back in time where they lived rich full lives. River died before she became a recurring character. Clara is functionally immortal. It's not the same.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Carbon dioxide posted:

There is a rare neurological condition where people can't register pain, so it's probably that.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Ah, if you live for fifty years before you die then you don't actually die. Did not know that.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Mokinokaro posted:

EDIT: you know looking at pics of the costume, it's obvious the extra height is in the "handles" and helmet.

I also like the idea that converted people are slightly taller because their bodies are entirely encased in and puppeted by the machinery encasing them. The conversion protects the physical flesh inside, but doesn't actually require it to do any work. Even if the reflexes kick in it won't matter because they are trapped inside their own bodies.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

2house2fly posted:

Ah, if you live for fifty years before you die then you don't actually die. Did not know that.

I think people are drawing a distinction between getting killed off, and dying of old age

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
Of course Sara Kingdom managed to both age 50 years AND be killed off.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

2house2fly posted:

It's pretty obtuse to ignore the difference between being directly killed and dying of old age off screen.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Namtab posted:

It's pretty obtuse to ignore the difference between being directly killed and dying of old age off screen.

Why? The character's just as dead.

E: if the distinction is between the word "kill" and the word "die," the character is written to be dead and therefore their death is a result of intent, which is to say that no matter what a fictional character dies of they are "killed" by the writer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

BSam posted:

So what is it?

Somebody punch him out.

• Locked thread