Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

frajaq posted:

This Mayhem race :stare:

Started one for the first time just to see what the hell is up with it and it's just insane

Races can get pretty nuts, but they can be hit-or-miss. I suggest everyone do at least one Headhunter (everyone gets the mod-stealing ability of the Headhunter and every mob has a rare monster in it, even on Twilight Strand) and one Descent/Descent: Champions race (I'd throw [even more] money at GGG to be able to do those outside of race events). Oh, and a BLAMT*.

*Blood Magic, Lethal, Ancestral, Multiple Projectile, Turbo = All enemies deal 50% more damage, of which half of that is split between fire/cold/lightning, move/attack/cast 60% faster and fire two extra projectiles. Oh, and there's totems everywhere. Oh, and double gently caress you, you have Blood Magic. Good luck even getting to Ledge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Also just to clear up how they give prizes:

So say, only the first 75 players that reach level 85 will get the horns and wings? Same with other levels? If I were to continue trying in this mayhem race I would just do it for the fun and have no chance at getting anything at the end, considering this event has been live for 10+ hours already?

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
No, level based prizes are randomly chosen from anyone who made it to those level breakpoints.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Oh poo poo, I forgot about the Mayhem race. How is it? I might have time this weekend to play it maybe.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.

Vasudus posted:

Oh poo poo, I forgot about the Mayhem race. How is it? I might have time this weekend to play it maybe.

The PoE subreddit right now is just videos of people dying hilariously to, for example, 8-ghost Spinesnap

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
Mayhem is a "good" time to try and get that beginners luck achievement. When it's spirits time you can get a 4 ghost hillock quite easily. Sadly in 10 tries I couldn't get a unique from him even then :(

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

whypick1 posted:

...I'd throw [even more] money at GGG to be able to do those outside of race events

I want to say I recently heard something about some sort of paid "personal guild league" system where a guild could specify a custom ruleset for their members to be able to play that GGG was working on, so maybe this will actually be a thing eventually. And yeah, it'd be glorious play a custom league with the awesome old modifiers/spawns.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I think that plan has been set aside for the time being. I think they'd come to the conclusion that splitting the playerbase, and giving them whatever they want when they want is bad for player retention.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

I'd bet it's more of a backend issue more than anything (they can only run 3 race leagues at a time with whatever their current system is, for example).

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

So as long as you participate in one of the races before FOO releases, you get the mystery box prize and are in the draw for those prizes assuming youve reached the break point?

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Correct on all counts

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Jusupov posted:

Mayhem is a "good" time to try and get that beginners luck achievement. When it's spirits time you can get a 4 ghost hillock quite easily. Sadly in 10 tries I couldn't get a unique from him even then :(

Twilight Strand isn't affected by Mayhem though? Did they change that after the race started?

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

McFrugal posted:

Twilight Strand isn't affected by Mayhem though? Did they change that after the race started?

only ghosts are enabled, when they are

(this is also true for Master missions, can get p dicey too)

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

aaaaaaa gently caress the ghosts in this race that keep pilling on to mini bosses, what the hell

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I played a bit this morning and I had breaches in my Twilight Strand. Can you not change what you get with an instance reset? I loaded 10 instances of the submerged passage hoping for not invasion bosses and didn't get anything different.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Vasudus posted:

I played a bit this morning and I had breaches in my Twilight Strand. Can you not change what you get with an instance reset? I loaded 10 instances of the submerged passage hoping for not invasion bosses and didn't get anything different.

The areas rotate what hell they'll create for you like Warbands did.

J
Jun 10, 2001

Yeah, it's like tempest/warbands where the mod on the zone is always the same for a given timeframe. Every hour the mayhem effect changes for a given area.

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Pretty good when you get them 20 elites for an hour though

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1916033 some hot new framerate buffs coming to 3.0

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

The only bug I have with PoE is that when I log in the loading things get all jammed up and CTD, and when I reload the game, it's perfectly fine?

I made it to Merciless Act 3 with my flameblast totem Witch, all I do is find Ranger uniques.

Mr. Whale
Apr 9, 2009
Tried out mines for the first time on the 2 week race. They're a little bit clunky to start since it seems like you have to shift click them or else your character will move before laying the mine.

Now that I'm in merc dried lake it feels pretty smooth. Every couple of mines potentially clears out multiple screens depending on where they feel like targeting. It's been really cheap to gear too.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Too bad they won't bring back old CoC even with this =(

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.

lurksion posted:

Too bad they won't bring back old CoC even with this =(

On the one hand this appears to hint at improvements that could bring CoC back. On the other hand, these seem to be primarily graphical improvements, where the problem with CoC was ( ? layman understanding incoming?) server-side calculations being demanded too fast, which only the pathfinding seems to affect at all.

edit: i watched the video and i clearly have no idea what im talking about

Jinnigan fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Jun 26, 2017

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

I finally gave in and bought a couple of points in the store, after the Currency Stash Tab what would the next best tab to get?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

frajaq posted:

I finally gave in and bought a couple of points in the store, after the Currency Stash Tab what would the next best tab to get?

Card tab or essence tab.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Premium tab upgrades or the Mega tab imo. The latter is best as your trading tab, the former for organization and/or trading.

Essence and Div tabs are nice, since those can easily eat up a ton of space, but I probably wouldn't have gotten them if I hadn't bought that bundle.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

frajaq posted:

An Essence tab is pretty great, and Quads. I'm not a huge fan of the Div tab, but ymmv.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Currency > Premium > Quad (or multiple regular/premium depending on points cost I suppose) >>> anything else

Until you have a good number of normal tabs, Essense/Div tabs aren't worth it imo. They don't even fill a normal tab out each unless you gather an obscene number of different Div cards - I usually top out at about half a tab of cards per League, playing ~150 - 200 hours. Sure they do have a convenience advantage - though even that is arguable with the Cards tab - in terms of sorting and ease of browsing, but when you're buying your first tabs you absolutely need normal tabs you can put anything you want into first.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Buy premium tabs so you can use poe.trade

Get the essence/div/quad tab when they're bundled on sale.

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

Essences really just need to have a chance of dropping from "every" rare monster you come across, and a guaranteed drop from essence packs. Because yeah, the essence tab is mostly wasted now that its league is done.

It's not like they haven't nerfed the hell out of the "easy leveling" essences already. RIP 2-hour merciless runs with a new character.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

sushibandit posted:

Essences really just need to have a chance of dropping from "every" rare monster you come across, and a guaranteed drop from essence packs. Because yeah, the essence tab is mostly wasted now that its league is done.

It's not like they haven't nerfed the hell out of the "easy leveling" essences already. RIP 2-hour merciless runs with a new character.

I keep hearing about really quick leveling runs like this. Do you have a guide or something on how to do it?

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

NPR Journalizard posted:

I keep hearing about really quick leveling runs like this. Do you have a guide or something on how to do it?

I think he means back when the corrupted essences weren't level gated, i.e. drop 200dps burning ground just by moving or 1000dps decay on hit both at (potentially) level 1

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I can't be the only person who is filled with glee every time I see a boss dying to reflect from a Lycosidae.

Mentalfloss
Nov 19, 2003

Grandma is a whore
Any chance they're going to remove the invasion boss gangbang in the lab final treasure room in the two week? Waste of time doing the whole thing then have to logout before you can get the ascendancy points.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

The Mayhem mod for each area changes every hour, so try again in an hour maybe?

Mentalfloss
Nov 19, 2003

Grandma is a whore
yeh I'm good now. Just annoying that you randomly get your lab run voided like that. (maybe some builds can kill all those at once but I'm way too scared to attempt it).

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't
I mean, it's a Mayhem race. It's sort of the point...

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I was thinking of doing some casual Mayhem since I can't dedicate as much time to it as I could the 1-week, and figured I'd go all out with something I've never done before AKA double-dipping abuse. I figured since I've never played a ranged character either I'll do a Voltaxic Rift Assassin (because I can't be bothered to play PF) with Barrage and whatever AoE skill I choose. Unlike last couple builds I figured I'd just go all out and copy one this time but apparently nobody likes Voltaxic on Assassin, at least not in 2.6 which is when I was searching, except one guy doing a Life build but I'm dead set on ES this time around. And I gotta say trying to build it myself in PoB it seems to come up short in every way. Barely 100k sheet dps with flasks up, no leech without Vinktar/Atziri up, low accuracy with no obvious place to get much more, etc. Anyone done it themselves recently or the like so I can get anything to work with?

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Mayhem affecting the final room in the labyrinth which normally has no monsters sounds like a bug. How would 20 breaches even fit in there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dead in real life
Jun 17, 2012
Just started playing a little over a week ago. I just kind of want to know, to put it flatly, if off-meta builds can be workable for endgame stuff, or if you're more or less obligated to be a meta-slave if you want to beat the hardest content?

• Locked thread