Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Just party with someone below 70 when you do trial roulette

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

cheetah7071 posted:

Just party with someone below 70 when you do trial roulette

Or remove enough equipment that you're below i280.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

hobbesmaster posted:

The "avoid Final Steps" method.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

nuru posted:

Remind me to avoid Trail roulette for a while.

Whatever do you mean :v:

:bang:

hobbesmaster posted:

This is a great idea :)

Lant
Jan 8, 2011

Muldoon

nuru posted:

Fist seems like a slog but perhaps our dps was bad.

Fist is longer than the other 2 EX dungeons, but the 2nd and last boss as great so who cares.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Lant posted:

Fist is longer than the other 2 EX dungeons, but the 2nd and last boss as great so who cares.

I like seeing how many people do or don't get the second bosses' gimmick.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Oxyclean posted:

It took me a bit to realize that counterattack move's gimmick because I missed the shields going up among all the magical SFX of the BLM and my RDM spells. I caught on to "Fore and Aft" and "Port and Star" immediately though.

Also is it just me or does Caster Gear not exist in the 70 dungeons, I swear I've seen basically nothing for my RDM drop. Not too big a deal since I'm working on the i310 stuff (almost full on left side!) but still weird. I am probably just getting unlucky though.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

queeb posted:

blm af3 owns

that is really fantastic

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm really curious what some of these AF sets look like on male characters, especially the Bard one.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Also there's some new PVP stuff if people haven't looked yet. This is the healer coat and mask.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

I dig the mask, not so much the dress.

pissdude
Jul 15, 2003

(and can't post for 6 years!)

I'm doing the PVP stormblood healing gear as well except I dyed everything black and I don't like the mask

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I kinda like the mask to the side like I have it. /visor puts it on normally and that makes it look really goofy to me.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Galaga Galaxian posted:

It took me a bit to realize that counterattack move's gimmick because I missed the shields going up among all the magical SFX of the BLM and my RDM spells. I caught on to "Fore and Aft" and "Port and Star" immediately though.

Also is it just me or does Caster Gear not exist in the 70 dungeons, I swear I've seen basically nothing for my RDM drop. Not too big a deal since I'm working on the i310 stuff (almost full on left side!) but still weird. I am probably just getting unlucky though.

It definitely feels like I'm getting hosed out of caster gear but I don't know if that's just RNG or not.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

vOv posted:

It definitely feels like I'm getting hosed out of caster gear but I don't know if that's just RNG or not.

Seen a fair amount, but this last run was entirely Aiming. Such is life.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Oxyclean posted:

Depends how many people have sailed before, perhaps

vOv posted:

I have picked up caster gear while playing my tank, so

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Saint Freak posted:

Also there's some new PVP stuff if people haven't looked yet. This is the healer coat and mask.

Looking cool, Joker Fox!

slev
Apr 6, 2009

I saw the dragoon tether buff for the first time and I kept running away from them because I thought it was a burning chains mechanic

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

slev posted:

I saw the dragoon tether buff for the first time and I kept running away from them because I thought it was a burning chains mechanic

I'm starting to see macros explaining the ability. :lol:

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

slev posted:

...I just did the same thing.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

slev posted:

oh that's what that was...

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I've been having pretty bad luck with caster gear as well. Endless fending & aiming.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I did it, I beat the 3 jumping puzzles

are there any other ones beyond these three?

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Wait, there's one in Rhalgar's Reach?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
...So that's what a subligar is.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Kinda, though "puzzle" is probably a big generous for that one and there's no sightseeing log for it (though it's still pretty obviously intended). Look at the base of the northwestern-most support for the bridge I'm sitting on in that picture and on the back are pegs you jump on.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Harrow posted:

I'm really curious what some of these AF sets look like on male characters, especially the Bard one.

It makes you look like a mega pimp.

It even keeps the heels on the boots.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

YoshiOfYellow posted:

It makes you look like a mega pimp.

It even keeps the heels on the boots.

:perfect:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Just remembered the actual true reason I don't like tanking, and that's getting lousy DPS. 35ish minutes for spoopyship wowww :geno:

Think I'm gonna level SAM when I don't feel like waiting for the expert DR queue on RDM. :v:

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Is it time to post about new armor/clothing?

gently caress the monk af3 gear, I'm on a crusade.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I'm just glad I have a seeing eye faery for the healer 310 set.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Here's my MNK, updated for SB. The af3 top is just too good not to use. Can't wait for it to be dyeable.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Ciaphas posted:

Just remembered the actual true reason I don't like tanking, and that's getting lousy DPS. 35ish minutes for spoopyship wowww :geno:

Think I'm gonna level SAM when I don't feel like waiting for the expert DR queue on RDM. :v:

I had forgotten what LLDR was like.

:what:

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Well now that I've experienced them all here's my completely uneccessary rundown of SB's dungeons.

Dungeon 1: Sirensong Sea is drat near perfect, to be honest. It's simple, it has a great theme and all of the bosses feel properly intimidating but are fairly easy to take down, as fits the first dungeon. I enjoyed the use of the environment to tell the backstory of the place and I enjoyed it being fairly random. All of the bosses have different gimmicks and attacks and it feels exactly as long as it should be. The miniboss towards the end is a fun change of pace.

Dungeon 2: I suspected that Shisui of the Violet Tide was used as the spotlight/preview dungeon because it was the least interesting and I maintain that this suspicion was correct, but that says much more about the strength of the other SB dungeons than to the weakness of Shisui. Shisui is fine, it's just very similar in a lot of ways to Sirensong and comes immediately after. You have a boss who uses charm attacks in both dungeons, though Shisui's Box of Old is a funny gimmick. There's nothing wrong with this place per se but shouldn't a demon-infested water palace have more...well, demons...in it? Seems like they couldn't decide which theme they wanted to express best and the dungeon feels weak as a result. The environmental hazards are amusing but unremarkable; the angler fish lack any meat, and having them debuff a player foolish enough to trigger them would make them a bit more ominous.

Dungeon 3: Bardam's Mettle is goddamned amazing from a sheer visual standpoint. It builds upon itself well, opening up with this very spacious-looking zone and transforming gradually into a valley/ravine and cavern, and it sort of reveals itself to you in the same way that the second boss, Bardam, reveals himself to you; as a true trial, not a battle. The gimmick for the second boss is a bit off-putting at first but on repeat playthroughs it serves as a great breath of fresh air in a dungeon that looks like the embodiment of just that. This is the sort of dungeon you play FFXIV for.

Dungeon 4: SB frontloads its weakest content. Doma Castle is incredible, a step above anything before it, a great visual spectacle that serves as a lengthy apology for the dullness of Baelsar's Wall. The bosses are great, imaginitive, the Magitek theming works nicely with the flooded castle aesthetic and it's most importantly a very different sort of "storming the castle" dungeon as what the final dungeon proves to be, a necessity given the way the plot moves. The final boss has some outstanding voicework and if I was going to issue any complaint it'd be that we do just kill way too many generic Garlean soldiers in this expansion.

Dungeon 5: Castrum Abania is the follow-up album to Baelsar's Wall that completes the concept and expands it. This is a great example of what a Garlean dungeon ought to be, full of strange machines, monsters, an ominous aesthetic and a strict challenge. This dungeon is probably among the hardest of SB's story campaign, and while FFXIV dungeons never get THAT hard, this place's final boss is like to challenge you as you progress. It's a great setpiece to serve as the preamble for...

Dungeon 6: Ala Mhigo is exactly what I expected SB's climax to be; an explosive charge through a raging battle fought in city streets and throughout the royal palace. This dungeon is even more tightly balanced and shorter than Heavensward's equivalent and as a result I just can't help but consider it objectively better. The bosses are a lot of fun, and I like that you get your showdown with Zenos here; it means that through Stormblood I can enjoy smashing his smug face in for tomes again and again. I will kill for that mad doctor's floating chair. And holy poo poo I had a big grin on my face when I saw the Guard Scorpion appear.

Extreme Dungeons:

Temple of the Fist is super fun, and I love its visuals a lot. An overgrown, watery ruin high atop a mountain was not what I expected, and I definitely didn't expect, after a pair of okay opening bosses (the second boss took a very long time to kill for some reason), the dungeon ends on a climactic battle with some off-brand Kung Fu Zeus who turns into a giant to slam a godhand upon the arena. It's really telling that despite how incredible that all sounds and looks, this is still the inferior of the extreme dungeons because the other dungeon is simply THAT GOOD. Temple of the Fist is a blast, though, and it establishes a new high bar that all future extreme dungeons are going to have to meet.

Kugane Castle was a pleasant surprise, and it was everything I wanted Shisui to be. We have ninjas leaping out of walls, Samurai patrolling gardens, we have ninpo magic and just a loving gorgeous aesthetic through and through. But it ends with a duel with none other than Yojimbo himself, a gimmick-heavy battle that is loving spectacular to behold, a high note to end the expansion's dungeon content on and a pitch perfect way to announce a new era of extreme dungeons. Kugane Castle may be my new favorite dungeon in the entire game.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I very nearly said "god, just gently caress already" out loud at one point, yeah

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
FFS, Mord, POST THE GODDAMN SOURCE.

http://reinoel.tumblr.com/post/162237325118/aaaaaaahhhhhh-i-really-love-them-looking

(I will not be held responsible for anything you may come across linked from that tumblr.)

UnlimitedSpessmans
Jul 31, 2015
why is everyone in this game so nice??

like today someone nicely informed me I could become white mage instead of calling me an idiot for not doing it already.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

SwissArmyDruid posted:

FFS, Mord, POST THE GODDAMN SOURCE.

http://reinoel.tumblr.com/post/162237325118/aaaaaaahhhhhh-i-really-love-them-looking

(I will not be held responsible for anything you may come across linked from that tumblr.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bacontotem
May 27, 2010

It's a pretty deep oc hole.