Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I would really recommend putting points into the "run faster/jump higher" powers. By about the midpoint of the game I was basically playing the game like Dishonored, just jumping from perch to perch, invisible to most enemies and taking them out in one hit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

What are the best powers to trivialize enemies? I want to be space station god

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

black.lion posted:

Psychoshock and Combat Focus.

CharlestonJew posted:

I would really recommend putting points into the "run faster/jump higher" powers. By about the midpoint of the game I was basically playing the game like Dishonored, just jumping from perch to perch, invisible to most enemies and taking them out in one hit

They feel great but are more of a quality of life thing in Prey since you can get practically anywhere with the GLOO gun if you're tenacious enough.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Rinkles posted:

They feel great but are more of a quality of life thing in Prey since you can get practically anywhere with the GLOO gun if you're tenacious enough.

yeah but thats not as fun/fast enough

lambskin
Dec 27, 2009

I THINK I AM THE PINNACLE OF HUMOR. WAIT HANG ON I HAVE TO GO POUR MILK INTO MY GAPING ASSHOLE!

black.lion posted:

Getting the three aoe typhon powers let's you basically cycle through them and instakill most things. Mindjack is also great for dealing with groups and also lets you clear areas of mimics easily. Just let your mindcontrolled typhon do the work for you!

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

GlyphGryph posted:

I played with gamepad and the qbeam was amazing.

Its the shotgun and pistol I never understood the point of on my first run. Why use the shotgun when you have the wrench?

Qbeam us great though and comboes well with everything else since damage done to the enemy still makes them qbeam explode faster. And it doesnt need a bunch of skills to make it useful.
Pistol seemed like it did more damage than the Q-Beam during combat focus and let me keep moving at full speed. Trying to use the Q-Beam against the nightmare got me mulched the first time it showed up, but Focus and pistol magdumping carried the day. I didn't like the Q-beam because I mostly felt like it needed to be upgraded to be useful and I found weapon upgrade kits rarer than skills, plus it needed its own skill to upgrade.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

is the crossbow good for anything other than that one office in psychotropics?

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

double nine posted:

is the crossbow good for anything other than that one office in psychotropics?

Shoot a dart at a cluster of cystoids and they'll all chase it and self-destruct. There are also plenty of other buttons and computer screens you can hit with darts besides whichever office you're talking about.

BitterAvatar
Jun 19, 2004

I do not miss the future
Yeah its a godsend in GUTS and station exterior

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Huntress boltcaster is fantastic for two reasons.
1. High utility for buttons, distractions, cystoids, etc.
2. The reaction that any inattentive youtube LPer expecting a killer crossbow makes the first time they manufacture one.

CharlestonJew posted:

I would really recommend putting points into the "run faster/jump higher" powers.
Man, I'm not gonna let you poison me. You must think I'm a joke.

Vib Rib fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jun 25, 2017

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Rinkles posted:

Psychoshock and Combat Focus.

for whatever dumb rear end reason i keep forgetting that the gloo gun is actually extremely loud so there is a reason for the run faster/jump higher and it's that if you're trying to creep along you dont actually just alert every phantom you're trying to move past

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Vib Rib posted:

Man, I'm not gonna let you poison me. You must think I'm a joke.

Well I had fun doing that at least. Combine that with combat focus 3 and you turn into the lovechild of the doom marine and max Payne

It did help that I found the chipset that allows you to passively regenerate psi real early on, so I could turn all my psi hypos into precious exotic material for more neuromods

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Vib Rib posted:

Huntress boltcaster is fantastic for two reasons.
2. The reaction that any inattentive youtube LPer expecting a killer crossbow makes the first time they manufacture one.
If someone could make a supercut of this that would be great.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

lambskin posted:

Mindjack is also great for dealing with groups and also lets you clear areas of mimics easily. Just let your mindcontrolled typhon do the work for you!

I agree that Mindjack definitely has more utility, but by the midgame when I was hunting Typhon to make myself into a biotic god I had enough surplus that I could do fun poo poo like Phantom Genesis. Nothing quite like having your own pet Phantom following you around, especially when you get the upgrade that gives you thermal/voltaic/etheric. It's sad that you can only have one at a time, but I understand why- even having one ally made it trivial to take down Weavers, Technopaths, etc.

It's also worth it just for the reaction you get from the people locked in the cargo bay when you turn their fallen friends into Phantoms in front of their eyes/

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

TychoCelchuuu posted:

If someone could make a supercut of this that would be great.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WV4unIrbGGo&t=825s
This is the one that immediately came to mind.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Phantom Genesis 2 is also pretty nice in the late game, cuz a friendly Voltaic Phantom just easily deals with all these hostile operators on the side while you take care of the important poo poo.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

HenryEx posted:

Phantom Genesis 2 is also pretty nice in the late game, cuz a friendly Voltaic Phantom just easily deals with all these hostile operators on the side while you take care of the important poo poo.

Hah, I did this and it was fantastic. I want a Typhon plush toy.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

CharlestonJew posted:

Well I had fun doing that at least. Combine that with combat focus 3 and you turn into the lovechild of the doom marine and max Payne

It did help that I found the chipset that allows you to passively regenerate psi real early on, so I could turn all my psi hypos into precious exotic material for more neuromods

:argh:

Arboretum-era spoiler: At least there's a guaranteed way after you get the lift online and open up the sandboxin' to engage Psychic Degenerate Gameplay Mode.

I'm in the Crew Quarters by way of the main quest line and having a blast.

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jun 25, 2017

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I did not open up the lift until the very end of the game, that was the only time I heard dialogue that did not seem to account for the order I did things because I was getting quite a bit of early-game exposition about things which were definitely not new to me

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Deep Storage spoiler:

A goddamn Nightmare spawned at the entrance! I got locked in with a goddamn Nightmare! This isn't loving safe at all! :argh: :supaburn: :derp: :gibs:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

My "favorite" nightmare story is it spawning in the lobby when I was in the elevator. It killed me before I regained control (which you momentarily lose when exiting the elevator). This was my first encounter with it.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

HenryEx posted:

The downside to Voltaic Phantoms as buddies is that they passively electrify catwalks when they touch them. :[ Though I guess with the perk that lets you absorb electrical damage as psi you could turn that into a benefit.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

I want a Typhon plush toy.

Me too!

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

So is it a confirmed bug on PS4 that you lose the tracking of a person when you load into a different area? Because gently caress that.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Of course just when I post that I suddenly don't have that problem.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
Hey where do you find that dead rear end in a top hat in the GUTS? Dalton or whoever?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

He's behind the big pipe at the corner before the cargo area. The one that you wouldn't even realise you could get underneath without the internet.

HATECUBE
Mar 2, 2007

to make that more clear, the first time you get into GUTS you float on down towards a croassroads

pick cargo bay/escape pods instead of arboretum. eventually the path will take a bigass 90deg turn at a large pipe and a radioactive container.

stop and look around. you will notice that there is space behind that bigass pipe, you will slowly go around that deadly box and see the path. go around, look for the floating body, its covered in cystoids

nailed it

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Ghostlight posted:

He's behind the big pipe at the corner before the cargo area. The one that you wouldn't even realise you could get underneath without the internet.

thanks to my ability to get lost immediately i actually find a lot of stuff behind places after i gently caress up my orientation

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Protip I wish I knew earlier: recycler charges will safely destroy leaking radioactive tanks.
I was an idiot and tried to use GLOO before giving up and going around.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
This game looks tight, didn't realize it was made by Arkane until today so I ordered a copy.

The first one a few years ago left a bad taste in my mouth, but those devs are top-notch!

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Well, that's easy for you to say. You have a bad imagination. It's stupid. I live in a fantasy world.

Rinkles posted:

I was expecting a special forces unit a la Half Life. But that would've involved a whole bunch of new AI work and animations.

This. I wanted dudes in spacesuits with shotguns, opening their visors to exhale cigarette smoke ala Starcraft.

Flying toasters are easier to animate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjlusi_h_XA

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

Vib Rib posted:

Protip I wish I knew earlier: recycler charges will safely destroy leaking radioactive tanks.
:aaa:

Anyway, put the game down for now. I'm waiting for them to patch NG+ in. I want to have Morgan the biotic Neuro God of slaughter to rampage through the station with next. :black101:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Reading/listening to earlier previews, on top of the trauma system (crippled limbs/burns) weapons originally degraded or had some way of breaking, and the Repair skill would let you fix them. I always felt Repair was somewhat underrepresented even if it's still useful. The skill balance in general is a bit off IMO, maybe because it was designed w/ the trauma system in mind.

Breakable weapons would conceivably also give a lot more purpose to weapon schematics.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Oh, the game has obviously been culled massively to meet schedules/budgets. (As noted, I'm willing to put money down on there being originally a plan for an Operator backed SpecOps team led by Dahl) and that probably includes systems like Repairs/Trauma.

That this game is still good is testament to the quality at Arkane at the moment. This could easily have been released as a half-working mess, and they've managed to cobble together a not just viable, but actually pretty great game. That it's flying so far under the radar is tragic.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

myDad posted:

This game looks tight, didn't realize it was made by Arkane until today so I ordered a copy.

The first one a few years ago left a bad taste in my mouth, but those devs are top-notch!

This has nothing to do with the first Prey

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Rinkles posted:

Breakable weapons would conceivably also give a lot more purpose to weapon schematics.
Man I always wondered what that was about, other than I guess just making sure some idiot didn't recycle all their weapons and then not have a way to beat the game.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Wafflecopper posted:

This has nothing to do with the first Prey
I'm actually disappointed there was not even an easter egg hinting to the previous game. Jeez one email mentioning Tony woudln't kill them.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

I'm trying to do a kill no humans run, and I think I'm successful so far. The only times humans die around me is due to the Typhon. I knocked out the possessed people inside the crew quarters before their heads could explode but they ended up dead later on. Either one is not on me. Also, the fake cook killed himself with a recycler bomb inside the escape pod.

I'm good, right?

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Vib Rib posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WV4unIrbGGo&t=825s
This is the one that immediately came to mind.

Oh god. I did a lot of the things he did in this video.

Does that mean DSP is...me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Yes, humans that get killed by the Typhon don't count, same for the fake cook killing himself with the recycler grenade.