Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

makka-setan
Jan 21, 2004

Happy camping.

A MIRACLE posted:

I have a dumb question about my FZ: If it's pretty bouncy at higher speeds, as in, "i get bounced out of my seat", does that mean i should crank the preload in a certain direction to compensate? or just learn to anticipate bumps and post with my legs like its a horse or something? I'm 6' and 200lbs, so i'm kinda fat, for reference

Replace the rear shock. As many said before it's a damping problem that can't be adjusted. And nor can it be fixed with preload or a stiffer spring. But you should set sag with the preload adjuster to optimize what damping the stock shock actually offers. Check out Dave Moss' videos on YT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

dumb. posted:

The non-painted black parts on my CB300 were all dried and gray looking, rubbed some of this on and it worked wonders

How long does that last? I'm under the impression that that has to be continually reapplied, whereas with Sagebrush's recommendation, the plastic is completely resurfaced.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

A possible trick, that might make it look worse, is a heat gun. It melts the outer surface a tiny bit, makes it smooth and shiny. Test in an inconspicuous area first.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ola posted:

A possible trick, that might make it look worse, is a heat gun. It melts the outer surface a tiny bit, makes it smooth and shiny. Test in an inconspicuous area first.

I did this to my transit's bumpers and they maintained their nice dark grey colour for about a year of living 100% outdoors before turning grey again.

tjones
May 13, 2005
I picked up an extra passenger seat for my R6 off ebay and gutted it down to just the frame. The original idea was to build a custom luggage rack to mount onto the seat frame but then I decided it might be best to buy a prefab rack instead. After a cursory search, it turns out there are quite a few different offerings ranging from 50.00 - 200.00. I'm sorting through all the ones I've found, but I thought I would ask here if anyone has any recommendations.

The R6 pillion is pretty small. Something like this looks like it would work perfectly if it didn't cost 150.00: https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/sw-motech-steel-rack-top-case-rack-triumph-tiger-explorer

Are all the decent racks going to be this expensive? If so I may try to cut to fit a piece of stock myself.

tjones fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Jun 26, 2017

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
pretty sure they are only expensive because they have the specific spacing for mounting several brands of top cases.

If you have the top case already and you drill your own rack to fit, its just as good.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

dumb. posted:

The non-painted black parts on my CB300 were all dried and gray looking, rubbed some of this on and it worked wonders

Boiled linseed oil does a nice job too with the obvious proviso of trying it on an unobtrusive/easily replaceable part first.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I use Novus for treating plastics. #1 and #2 works nicely on acrylic paint too as long as the scratches haven't gone through to the metal.

https://www.amazon.com/NOVUS-7136-Plastic-Polish-Kit/dp/B002UD0GIG

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
can anyone recommend some california insurance companies that you have had luck insuring a sport bike or higher displacement naked bike with for non-insane prices? I have a clean record and have been licensed/insured for 15+ years

tjones
May 13, 2005

Fauxtool posted:

pretty sure they are only expensive because they have the specific spacing for mounting several brands of top cases.

If you have the top case already and you drill your own rack to fit, its just as good.

Probably so, thanks. After thinking about it some more I think I'm going to go the soft luggage route and either roll my own rack or see if I might find a used KLR rack or similar to hack up and retrofit to the pillion frame.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
Say I've got a spare set of hubs for my DR-Z. How complicated is it to pick up a set of 17" rims and spokes for them? I've seen the directions; I'm having trouble sourcing spokes.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Warp9 and plenty of other companies out there sell spoke kits - I'm assuming you've already looked at them and they didn't have what you needed?

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
My SV fork springs are softer than poo poo, so I'm going to order something more appropriate for my weight. I've always used Race Tech in the past but I guess Sonic Springs exists too. Anyone ever used fork springs from Sonic?

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
Emailed them and their spokes are apparently not compatible with the stock hubs. Despite selling SM wheel sets.

Buchanan Spoke & Rim will apparently make a set, I'll have to email them, but $120... if this all adds up to cost as much as buying an assembled wheel set I would feel silly.

Fats
Oct 14, 2006

What I cannot create, I do not understand
Fun Shoe

Yerok posted:

My SV fork springs are softer than poo poo, so I'm going to order something more appropriate for my weight. I've always used Race Tech in the past but I guess Sonic Springs exists too. Anyone ever used fork springs from Sonic?

Yeah, I put .85kg/mm Sonic springs in my SV. They work fine. I imagine all fork springs are essentially the same.

It no longer bottoms out when I brake hard, which is nice.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
does anyone sell searchable .pdf service manuals?

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
Does anyone know good tricks to try to get rid of rust? Should I just try a very high grit sandpaper? I've got an exhaust that seems to have some surface rust, and I'd like to knock it off before throwing more paint on there.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

turn it up TURN ME ON posted:

Does anyone know good tricks to try to get rid of rust? Should I just try a very high grit sandpaper? I've got an exhaust that seems to have some surface rust, and I'd like to knock it off before throwing more paint on there.

Often times WD40 and scotchbrite are more than enough to get rid of that stuff without having to resort to sandpaper. Works on forks too.

My question:

I went trail riding in a gigant sand pit the other day and my chain is now encrusted with sand. What's the best way to get rid of all the little grains stuck to it cause I get nightmares thinking about what they're doing to the o-rings.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009

Fats posted:

Yeah, I put .85kg/mm Sonic springs in my SV. They work fine. I imagine all fork springs are essentially the same.

It no longer bottoms out when I brake hard, which is nice.

What do you weigh? I'm like 180 with gear, used their calculator and ended up with the 0.90 kg/mm springs. Racetech gives me similar results. I still have to call Penske and figure out what spring is on the rear shock.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Slavvy posted:

Often times WD40 and scotchbrite are more than enough to get rid of that stuff without having to resort to sandpaper. Works on forks too.

My question:

I went trail riding in a gigant sand pit the other day and my chain is now encrusted with sand. What's the best way to get rid of all the little grains stuck to it cause I get nightmares thinking about what they're doing to the o-rings.

Cleaner + brush, then oil/wax.

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008

I've had some luck with aluminum foil.

Fats
Oct 14, 2006

What I cannot create, I do not understand
Fun Shoe

Yerok posted:

What do you weigh? I'm like 180 with gear, used their calculator and ended up with the 0.90 kg/mm springs. Racetech gives me similar results. I still have to call Penske and figure out what spring is on the rear shock.

~165, so that’s about right.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Is the 2 day California Superbike School really worth the huge price difference? I can do a single day for $390 (my own bike) / $675 (their bike), or the 2 day camp for $2450, both at the same location. The 2 day camp looks like you have a better teacher to student ratio, and you get more track time, but that's a huge cost difference, seeing as I can just pay for 2 single days in a row.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
I don't know but if it's 675 to use their bike that sounds pretty interesting and I'd be interested in trying it out. Seeing as I've had no luck in getting motivated to prep my own bikes for tech

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

They don't make you safety wire or anything like that if you use your own bike, it just needs to not be leaking fluids. It'd be fun to try out a S1000RR, but I worry I'd spend more time getting used to that bike than I would learning new skills. I like their quote about the bikes:

quote:

While it has a class leading 193+ horsepower, it is the easiest bike to ride on the market.

I'm guessing they put the bike in rain mode to keep everyone from killing themselves and the bike right away? Someone needs to update the new rider FAQ thread to point all the beginners to a S1000RR as a good starter bike.

*edit*
I've been reading up on the S1000RRs and now I want one. Launch control plus lean angle readouts would be a lot of fun.

MomJeans420 fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jun 27, 2017

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Class leading race bikes aren't class leading because they're hard to ride, they're really easy bikes to ride, within' that class. A bike that's hard to get to the limit isn't going to be a good race bike.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Revvik posted:

Emailed them and their spokes are apparently not compatible with the stock hubs. Despite selling SM wheel sets.

Buchanan Spoke & Rim will apparently make a set, I'll have to email them, but $120... if this all adds up to cost as much as buying an assembled wheel set I would feel silly.
We use Buchanan's for all our spoke stuff. They can make you pretty much anything from scratch. But yeah it's not cheap.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MomJeans420 posted:

Is the 2 day California Superbike School really worth the huge price difference? I can do a single day for $390 (my own bike) / $675 (their bike), or the 2 day camp for $2450, both at the same location. The 2 day camp looks like you have a better teacher to student ratio, and you get more track time, but that's a huge cost difference, seeing as I can just pay for 2 single days in a row.

totally different curriculum is offered between 1 and 2 day. A lot of the intro stuff is 1 day but intermediate and up is mostly 2 day only.

I asked a guy I know who is an instructor and he told me that the 2 day is way more intensive because they do a lot a diagnosing on the first day and then fix your bad habits on the next day. The instructor time and extra track time is the most valuable thing you can do there

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

Dutymode posted:

I've had some luck with aluminum foil.

Just literally rub aluminum foil against it?

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008

Just literally rub aluminum foil against it?

Crinkle into a ball and scrub with it, yeah. Supposed to work well with de-rusting/restoring chrome.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

I did a small spot on my pipes with aluminum + water and it seemed to work. IIRC the aluminum quickly becomes balled up and tiny and you need more so for that reason + effort I didn't continue at the time.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Technique question that I'll probably also ask about elsewhere.

How do I get better at turning on dirt and gravel? I'm basically parking it in right turns, and not doing much better on lefts. I'm still pretty new to off highway riding and don't have any formal training. I assume a lot of it is body positioning that isn't habitual, so I'm working on staying forward in the seat, staying off the front brake, and trying to stay confident in the tires. I'll look for dirt classes, but can I get a few tips and drills that will help my confidence in the meantime?

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Technique question that I'll probably also ask about elsewhere.

How do I get better at turning on dirt and gravel? I'm basically parking it in right turns, and not doing much better on lefts. I'm still pretty new to off highway riding and don't have any formal training. I assume a lot of it is body positioning that isn't habitual, so I'm working on staying forward in the seat, staying off the front brake, and trying to stay confident in the tires. I'll look for dirt classes, but can I get a few tips and drills that will help my confidence in the meantime?

This is the video I watched to help me understand dirt riding. I've since ridden like, 2 dirt roads, but I felt like it helped. One of the dirt roads was fairly long and at first I was timid but after some time on it and practicing my positioning I started getting faster and turning better. It was fun!

Fratstar_Eatpuss
May 29, 2010

Just got back from a ride. About 5 minutes in my bike stalled out and wouldn't start. Fortunately It was right next to a lemonade stand so I didn't die of dehydration but those kids hustled the poo poo out of me at $2.50 a cup.

Anyway I try to get the bike to start, no dice without the choke, at full choke it wouldn't start either. Waited about 2-3 minutes while googling what the gently caress was wrong, and it would start with the carb at full and go up to like 4-5RPM, then drop and sit at barely 1, then die. Twisting the throttle without the choke, or just shifting into 1st, would cause it to die right away.

So i'm like welp, guess i'm walking home. Walk the bike about 3-4 blocks and try to start it again, starts up fine and I rode for about 30-40 minutes after with no issues. It's a 2009 Ninja 250r that I bought with ~400 miles on it, currently has almost 800 so i'm guessing something just got stuck in something or i dont even know. Surely it's too new to be anything parts-related, right? Gonna strip the bike and do a full cleaning tomorrow though anyway, because I should probably learn how to do that. Thoughts?

Fratstar_Eatpuss fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Jun 29, 2017

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

It's an eight-year-old bike with only 400 miles on it?

The carbs are probably really gummed up, yeah. That's barely even into the break-in period. Who gets a brand-new motorcycle and then puts on 50 miles a year? :psyduck:

Fratstar_Eatpuss
May 29, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

It's an eight-year-old bike with only 400 miles on it?

The carbs are probably really gummed up, yeah. That's barely even into the break-in period. Who gets a brand-new motorcycle and then puts on 50 miles a year? :psyduck:

According to the dealer this guy bought it some months ago, hardly rode it, dropped it once or twice, and then traded it in for an H2 the day before I bought it. No idea how a Ninja 250r managed to sit in overstock that long.

Also if it is the carb being gunked up then why did it run for like 40 minutes with no problems after walking it a couple blocks?

Fratstar_Eatpuss fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jun 29, 2017

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
ninja 250 to h2 may be the most insane step up I have ever heard of. Ask the dealership if he is still making payments on the loan or if he is already dead.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Fauxtool posted:

ninja 250 to h2 may be the most insane step up I have ever heard of. Ask the dealership if he is still making payments on the loan or if he is already dead.

It is pretty much the most insane step up possible. What is there beneath a Ninja 250? A Honda Rebel?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Yeah I think that's the new record. Ninja 250 to 250-hp supercharged hyperbike after 400 miles of riding :psypop:

When gas is old, it turns into flakes of varnish or sticky tar-like goo. Could be that you have some of that floating around somewhere and it's intermittently clogging things up.

e: since you're very new to this, you are sure that the fuel petcock is on, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Sagebrush posted:

Yeah I think that's the new record. Ninja 250 to 250-hp supercharged hyperbike after 400 miles of riding :psypop:

My 1200 cc bike doesn't even cover the horsepower difference between those two. :stonklol: