Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Zetsubou-san posted:

cross-posting because i made a thing

https://my.mixtape.moe/pgvnga.webm

lmbo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
cosplay

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Isn't a genderswapped version of a character costume called crossplay?

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Doesn't matter - i call it "good"

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

A powerful Lucoa

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Zeruel posted:

Holy poo poo that was hilarious to read.

Why the gently caress are all these people enjoying this maid Cafe??
Calling some one out on their inappropriate behaviour is the same as ignoring it!!
Kill la Kill is better than this because it's not so pointedly fanservicey!!

I loving loved Kill la Kill, but it was a bad sexed up anime.

Also Interviews with Monster girls is great.

She must have the same brain problem I have of latching onto the body positivity theme and not really considering that it wasn't so obvious to most people

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Even then it comes off as insincere, because it's "hey everyone be proud of who you are and what you wear, no matter what you wear or who you are! Unless who you are is someone who likes going to maid cafes."

I mean, I get that cringey feeling too when thinking about going to a place like that, but that's probably not uncommon for people who used to be bullied nerds who withdrew to protect themselves. I don't see why she has to go to such lengths to justify herself.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

She must have the same brain problem I have of latching onto the body positivity theme and not really considering that it wasn't so obvious to most people

I think KLK was trying to have its cake and eat it too in that regard. It definitely wants to say something about being yourself and not caring how other people judge you, plus Imaishi has used nudity as a metaphor for positive traits like conviction in his works before. But those themes and metaphors also conveniently means we get to have tons of anime titties on screen.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Yeah it's really male gaze. That being where the money is probably factored into that as much as anything else. Not to make excuses

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Well, that and CK loves ecchi stuff, so that's what he draws.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

1. The Steam sale is going on and it applies to anime.
2. http://store.steampowered.com/app/640570/Miss_Kobayashis_Dragon_Maid/

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Poil posted:

1. The Steam sale is going on and it applies to anime.
2. http://store.steampowered.com/app/640570/Miss_Kobayashis_Dragon_Maid/

...the gently caress??

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Schwarzwald posted:

...the gently caress??

Steam sells videos, including anime, now. If you want to pay for something you can watch on Crunchyroll for free you can now do so at half off! :shrug:

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Yeah it's really male gaze. That being where the money is probably factored into that as much as anything else. Not to make excuses

I guess at least they tried to do something interesting thematically with it, even if it ended up half-assed. KLK had a rocky production IIRC, so it could be there were plans to do more with it down the road and they got lost or cut in re-writes. I doubt it was purely for money though.

I do like KLK at the end of the day, but the idea that someone can look past its worst moments but not Dragon Maid's is bonkers.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

yo some people like big boobs, some like underboob, who cares let them be

Pachakuti
Jun 25, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

hoobajoo posted:

I guess at least they tried to do something interesting thematically with it, even if it ended up half-assed. KLK had a rocky production IIRC, so it could be there were plans to do more with it down the road and they got lost or cut in re-writes. I doubt it was purely for money though.

I do like KLK at the end of the day, but the idea that someone can look past its worst moments but not Dragon Maid's is bonkers.

I mean, there's definitely a double standard some people have where subtext-heavy stuff gets off lighter than anything which puts it into text.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

To be clear, which of the two v. boob intensive anime is meant to be the one with subtext here? KLK probably has fewer lines of dialogue dedicated to 'big boobs lol' but subtlety is not what comes to mind.

Pachakuti
Jun 25, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rangpur posted:

To be clear, which of the two v. boob intensive anime is meant to be the one with subtext here? KLK probably has fewer lines of dialogue dedicated to 'big boobs lol' but subtlety is not what comes to mind.

Actually, I'm talking about gay subtext, which in my experience is why a lot of people like the author of that article will defend KLK or engage in apologetics for it.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

That makes sense. I'm mostly curious why that wouldn't extend to the show about two women who rent an apartment together to raise their adopted daughter? I mean I liked both so I don't really have an axe to grind here. It just took me off guard.

Pachakuti
Jun 25, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rangpur posted:

That makes sense. I'm mostly curious why that wouldn't extend to the show about two women who rent an apartment together to raise their adopted daughter? I mean I liked both so I don't really have an axe to grind here. It just took me off guard.

I mean, there's a real phenomenon outside of anime fandom where people will take more-or-less explicitly gay content and treat it much more harshly than subtextual gay content. For example, after Ellen came out on her show, there was a lot of criticism from lesbian and bi woman commenters about how it felt a lot worse now. So I think a lot of Dragon Maid criticism definitely falls under that effect.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Rangpur posted:

And not just that but a finale that is entirely about how important Tohru is to Kobayashi considering the show didn't go the route of all fantastical elements leaving with Tohru. Kobayashi still had her human and dragon friends and the very good daughter she was struggling to raise, so it was about Tohru rather than going back to square one being unfulfilling like similar things tends to do for their finale.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
Gay subtext in KlK didn't really spring to mind for me, nor was it at the forefront of my thoughts for Maidoragon. Probably because of all the "I'm your loyal sex slave" poo poo they kept pulling.
Not to say the last episode didn't rectify that. That poo poo was genuinely heart-rending.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Rangpur posted:

is this an actual show?

if so, what's the name of it?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

el dorito posted:

is this an actual show?

if so, what's the name of it?

Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Well only one of them rents the apartment, the other doesn't have a paying job.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Guy Goodbody posted:

Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid

I had to reread the past dozen or so posts and I'm surprised that we're still talking about that terrible kotaku article

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
Well to be fair the amount of work she does for free is astounding. Only asking to be sheltered and fed.

... I guess Kobayashi rakes it in hand over fist to be feeding 3 mouths, 2 of which are dragons.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Zeruel posted:

Well to be fair the amount of work she does for free is astounding. Only asking to be sheltered and fed.

... I guess Kobayashi rakes it in hand over fist to be feeding 3 mouths, 2 of which are dragons.

Well Tohru doesn't exactly ask to be fed either considering she does all the cooking and everything.

Tohru also regularly dimension hops to get food herself. Which has gotta help the food budget.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
All things considered, I'll bet the electricity bill is a bigger issue than their groceries.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Zeruel posted:

She's a programmer that routinely does massive overtime, plus Tokyo is relatively affordable for a major city. Her living situation's pretty reasonable.

edit: I just realized, we live in times where "raking it in" means "modestly supporting a family of 3". That's dire.

hoobajoo fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jun 26, 2017

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

hoobajoo posted:

She's a programmer that routinely does massive overtime, plus Tokyo is relatively affordable for a major city. Her living situation's pretty reasonable.

edit: I just realized, we live times where "raking it in" means "modestly supporting a family of 3". That's dire.

To be fair, software development pays relatively well. The second part yeah no times are pretty bad :smith:

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Pollyanna posted:

To be fair, software development pays relatively well. The second part yeah no times are pretty bad :smith:

That was my point, her living situation is pretty realistic because she has a career in software, works her butt off like a proper salaryman, and lives in a (relatively) affordable city. Dragon Maid is often pretty escapist or idealized, but the Kobayashi's financials are very grounded.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

edit: accidental double post

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

hoobajoo posted:

edit: I just realized, we live in times where "raking it in" means "modestly supporting a family of 3". That's dire.

The massive overtime may possibly be unpaid as part of typical Japanese salaryman expectations, but she still probably makes a decent enough living.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Dragon tail will save her from karoshi

El Padrino
Dec 24, 2005

No es nada personal, solo negocios.
Cute chorogon wife and daughter will save Kobayashi.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
It's telling that in so many of these "fantastic beings are secretly real" stories, that the actual fantasy is having a loving relationship with another person.

Life as a Japanese salary-person must be impossibly miserable.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Schwarzwald posted:

It's telling that in so many of these "fantastic beings are secretly real" stories, that the actual fantasy is having a loving relationship with another person.

Life as a Japanese salary-person must be impossibly miserable.

You realize how many people throughout the world generally long for exactly that, right? I don't think it's something particular to salary-people by any measure.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I'm a salary man and it's true :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Not really even about a loving relationship, but just not being alone.

• Locked thread