Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

Duke Igthorn posted:

That's a more sinister interpretation than he meant I'd have to think given his words, he's just saying that when it was cartoony violence against an unpopular target people cheered but then, when faced with a more realistic depiction of violence, even against someone they didn't like, people got understandably upset.

Because for decent people that's how it works: we can have our guilty pleasure thoughts of revenge or brutal justice but, when it comes right down to it, we'd jump on the KKK member to keep him from being beaten to death by a mob.

We're dangerously close to the age-old conundrum: Punch a Nazi/Don't punch a Nazi, right with the preëmptive claim of the moral high ground. Verrrrrry nice. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

Not everything is part of the antifa vs alt-right conflict (or any political conflict), and cramming peoples' views into those boxes so you can level your pre-existing rhetoric against them is dumb and unhelpful.

SoupyTwist
Feb 20, 2008

Despera posted:

Corbyn looking like an idiot, May as a melting crone and maybe boris's hair consuming him is literally every '17 british political cartoon.

Now I want to see British cartoonists draw Mitch McConnell.

Vulpes Vvardenfell
Jan 30, 2011

Conservative speech amounts to little better than a child throwing their food at the wall. A Good Cartoon.

T. Bombastus
Feb 18, 2013

Pinch Me Im Meming posted:

We're dangerously close to the age-old conundrum: Punch a Nazi/Don't punch a Nazi, right with the preëmptive claim of the moral high ground. Verrrrrry nice. :v:
That's not what I'm getting from his post, like, at all.

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

T. Bombastus posted:

That's not what I'm getting from his post, like, at all.

I'll help you by pointing out the relevant bits:

Because for decent people (=moral high ground) that's how it works: we can have our guilty pleasure thoughts of revenge or brutal justice but, when it comes right down to it, we'd jump on the KKK member to keep him from being beaten to death by a mob. (=punch a nazi/don't punch a nazi).

This post also available on audiobook if you have reading difficulties. Not by me though, I'm not a native speaker.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I mean, personally, I don't want to see a human being beaten to death by a mob regardless. I don't think killing a person in the street is really equitable with punching or not punching a nazi.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

SoupyTwist posted:

Now I want to see British cartoonists draw Mitch McConnell.

I don't think even they could get away with drawing a man with a scrotum for a head.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
holy gently caress

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

Vulpes Vvardenfell posted:

Conservative speech amounts to little better than a child throwing their food at the wall. A Good Cartoon.

Conservative speech is lazy, incredibly salty, and vastly inferior to anything you could come up with on your own, but it's so ubiquitous that some idiot children grow up afraid to try anything else. A Cartoon That Gets Your Noodle Going

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Electric Phantasm posted:

That's referring to Starbuck's unicorn drink, right? I thought the delay was weeks not months.

Look, liberal college professors are the biggest menace our country faces. Hippie drinks just have to wait their turn.

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS

Despera posted:

Next you'll be telling me they have better teeth

Well, if you insist: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-32883893

quote:

Statistics suggest that, taken on pure oral health rather than appearance, the UK does better than the US. According to the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development's (OECD) figures, the average number of missing or filled teeth for a 12-year-old in the UK in 2008 (the latest figures available) was 0.7. This was the joint best rating that year. The last figure reported by the OECD for the US, in 2004, was 1.3 - when the UK also got 0.7. The UK's decay and replacement rates started falling below those of the US during the mid-1990s. Going back to 1963, the UK rate was as high as 5.6.

Xen Tricks
Nov 4, 2010

Duke Igthorn posted:

Because for decent people that's how it works: we can have our guilty pleasure thoughts of revenge or brutal justice but, when it comes right down to it, we'd jump on the KKK member to keep him from being beaten to death by a mob.

Speak for yourself man

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

No one says they don't have teeth, just that they're ugly and terrible.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Duke Igthorn posted:

That's a more sinister interpretation than he meant I'd have to think given his words, he's just saying that when it was cartoony violence against an unpopular target people cheered but then, when faced with a more realistic depiction of violence, even against someone they didn't like, people got understandably upset.

Personally, I think the only person who has a right to jump on a KKK member to shield them from harm is someone that they have expressed hatred towards. I know the story of Keshia Thomas, but if a white guy had done the same thing, then quite frankly they would have deserved to get their rear end beat alongside the skinhead. Its essentially saying that you have decided that their words and actions are not worth them getting the hit kicked out of them to a group of people who are more directly affected by it.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

Pinch Me Im Meming posted:

I disagree with you, but I do like your using a diaeresis in "preëmptive".

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

cant cook creole bream posted:

I really like the fact that Zelda is kind of obnoxious as a person. It turns the story from a Mary Sue who is always correct and everyone should listen to, to a slice of life story of a somewhat annoying, but sort of realistic dork.

I agree, and it's grown on me quite a bit. I wish it translated better.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Phuzzy posted:

I was not coming into the thread expecting to see an MGS3 reference, but there it is.

?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Xen Tricks posted:

Maybe it is in fact you, the left, who are the REAL fascists :grin:

Fantasies are one thing. Buying guns in mass, keeping ammunition available that is specifically intended to maximise harm to himan flesh, and joining a militia like the Right is quite another.

Raised By Birds
May 5, 2013

Top right corner. The edit is referencing the camouflage rating system in MGS3.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

skeleton warrior posted:

Only about Britain.

It's a relic of the fact that American media went vastly overboard with "white, perfectly straight teeth are the only thing acceptable in movies and television", and so British actors and celebrities had weird, crooked, yellowish teeth in comparison (I.e., because they were normal people) so obviously Brits have awful teeth period.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

No new Zelda strip today:

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

If global warming is real, then why aren't we dead?

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

gently caress you.

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

That duck was in a car accident, right?
Drunk driving?

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Out of all the predictions Tinsley could make about how this would go down two weeks ago, he picked "no-one will tune in to watch this".

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Apple Pie Hubbub posted:

Both of these things happened when the world was a lifeless hunk of rock.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

First Dog on the Moon:

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Trapezium Dave posted:

Out of all the predictions Tinsley could make about how this would go down two weeks ago, he picked "no-one will tune in to watch this".

...Holy poo poo Comey's testimony was only two weeks ago?

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

In an alternare universe, the politoon thread is crazy about Shirt Donkey.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Cloud Potato posted:

Stephen Collins:

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Trapezium Dave posted:

My reading of it is the same "nothingburger nothingburger nothingburger" everybody else had when it was news -- the word "flop" meaning "a big disappointment" rather than "unpopular" necessarily

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Why does it take Tinsley 2 weeks to copy and paste a duck

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Drunkboxer posted:

Why does it take Tinsley 2 weeks to copy and paste a duck

It takes him like seconds to do that, it just takes the syndicate 2 weeks to print them because of arcane newsprint stuff

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Apple Pie Hubbub posted:

goddamn these are so terrible republicans are so loving annoying

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

Apple Pie Hubbub posted:

There are no such things as long-term consequences. :bang:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Apple Pie Hubbub posted:

Stantis has been boring and pointless for months, and yet he still manages to deliver something worse. I'm impressed.
Get hosed Stantis.

• Locked thread