Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Shogeton posted:

If a person himself took part in that active colonization? Then he deserves consequences not because he's a different culture, but because he took part in violent colonization. But that is not a taint you can just keep transferring across the generation. At some point, you gotta say 'yeah,, the reason they are here because lovely people did lovely things, but they never took part in this, they were born here, their life is here, and their culture is what it is, and they should be respected same as any other culture, '

Does that mean that the crimes of the ancient past have born fruit, and they got away with it? Yes.

Agree 100%, the problem was the Northern Irish government was still oppressing minority Catholics in the 20th century.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
part of the reason the right of return is so controversial: a full right of return means displacing a healthy chunk of the israeli jewish population; which while arguably justified if they were european settlers runs into the problem that you'd create an internally displaced population of sephardi jews who were displaced into israel from arab countries which have no interest in reabsorbing several hundred thousand israelis into their territories.

not that they'd want to go back to baghdad, cairo, etc. anyways but poo poo's complicated.

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Agree 100%, the problem was the Northern Irish government was still oppressing minority Catholics in the 20th century.
yup. crimes committed against real human beings in the here and now

BrutalistMcDonalds has issued a correction as of 23:19 on Jun 25, 2017

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

when i see two extremely violent groups bash each others heads in rather than debate the finer points of which side is on an infinitesimal higher moral ground i turn around and run away but that might be just me

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Ekster posted:

when i see two extremely violent groups bash each others heads in rather than debate the finer points of which side is on an infinitesimal higher moral ground i turn around and run away but that might be just me
no we can rise above.

we can unite and stand up and chant NO MORE

crowd chants "NO MORE"

NoooOoooo MoooaaAAArrrr

no more! no more! nooo mooooaar.

*edge guitar solo*

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
What the world really needs is a one world government, right now.

That makes you all filthy secessionists/rebels btw.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
one world government is the most horrific possible thing, scares the poo poo outta me.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
One world government would be fine if it was America running it.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
imagine how poo poo everything would be if there was only microsoft smartphones

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Apple iphones are from America.

Imagine how good the world would be if it was just only iPhones.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Baloogan posted:

one world government is the most horrific possible thing, scares the poo poo outta me.
Scaring u just means its really really good

Simply one of its many features

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Iphones are from China, it even says so on the box

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Jeb! Repetition posted:

And that is a terrible, disgusting thing. And I wouldn't be surprised if there are still some traces of that.

But that doesn't mean the descendants of colonizers are suddenly 'not native'. It just means that the government of that region was oppressing one culture that is part of their nation in favor of another culture that is part of their nation. And should NI ever become part of the ROI, then they will still very much be a culture that is part of that nation, to be treated with respect and inclusion.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Wait a second is hakimashou pro-Israel? That would explain everything.

hakimashou posted:

Won't be long now.

Before long it will only be three months. Three months until it's been fifteen years since anyone could regard the notion
of HAMAS or a similar Islamic terrorist org being tolerated and taken seriously. Fifteen years since palestininians lost their war.

Fifteen years is a long time, gettin fuckin old :/

Anyway, we haven't forgot. Git sum Israel. Do us proud.

Also, it won't be long now before the election. Hillary loves Israel, and if you took the time to explain it to Trump, he'd tell Israel to "just finish it, just get it done." It's going to be one or the other. Wait and see.

~Rip.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Oh Jesus :chloe:

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Me earlier: "Why is this guy trying to do a bunch of Socratic jiu jitsu to prove being against colonialism is racist"
Me now: *Face frozen in the stonk emoticon*

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
I don't think being against colonialism is racist.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

hakimashou posted:

I don't think being against colonialism is racist.

And yet everybody thinks that a territorial enclave carved out by a foreign power, which excessively favors its own settlers at the expense of the natives isn't the textbook definition of settler colonialism because...

The only reason the British government even pretends to be impartial in NI is because of decades of low intensity intersectional warfare. The Troubles kicked off because the Irish civil rights movement was met with reactionary violence. These are all living memories, they're not just legacies of a "lil ole thing" that happened 300 years ago. Part of being "native" to a land means engaging in a shared culture with its inhabitants, which is something Ulstermen explicitly reject. Neighborhoods in NI are more segregated than ever, yet some posters are still pretending that this isn't a settler-colonialist dynamic.

Agnosticnixie hit the nail on the head when he likened this all to Rhodesian nostalgia. I feel it's a lot like white Americans asking why they should ever pay reparations, since they're not personally responsible for centuries of deprivation that keeps everyone else way poorer than us even today.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Also what was with this post?

hakimashou posted:

I always lol at Europeans being against Israel.

Some things never change.

Sentiment toward Israel in western Europe started off gung ho and fully supportive and gradually got tepid and skeptical up to present day. So it absolutely changed.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Also what was with this post?

Sentiment toward Israel in western Europe started off gung ho and fully supportive and gradually got tepid and skeptical up to present day. So it absolutely changed.

Reversion to the mean.

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The only reason the British government even pretends to be impartial in NI is because of decades of low intensity intersectional warfare.

The British government really is impartial. They're indifferent to both communities in NI and have been for a long time. They attempted to set up an assembly with proportional representation and a power sharing executive with Sunningdale and overhaul policing with the Hunt reforms, all in the earliest years of the Troubles. They were opposed at every turn by unionists.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

hakimashou posted:

Reversion to the mean.

Western Europe and Britain in particular obviously, were extremely cool with Palestine from its formation to a few decades ago when they started violating international law, and even after that it's taken a long time for opinion to shift. There's no reversion to the mean there, it's just been a steady decline.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
So this guy is walking down the street late one night in Belfast, and all of a sudden, he feels a knife at his throat. A voice whispers in his ear, "Tell me laddie, be you Protestant or Catholic?"
The man thinks quickly and says, "actually, I'm Jewish."
The voice in his ear says, "Faith and Begorrah, laddie. I must be the luckiest Palestinian in all of Ireland!"

Well, that's my contribution, thanks for listening, god bless.

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

hakimashou posted:

Palestinian nationalism even?

that's like nationalism for unicorns

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

The Lords should have just gone through with their plan to move the entire population of Hong Kong to Northern Ireland. That would have brought the IRA and UDF together.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Western Europe and Britain in particular obviously, were extremely cool with Palestine from its formation to a few decades ago when they started violating international law, and even after that it's taken a long time for opinion to shift. There's no reversion to the mean there, it's just been a steady decline.

The broader historical mean.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Here's my Irish story, my friend almost got his rear end kicked when he was in Dublin cause he was in a bar and ordered an Irish car bomb

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Terror Sweat posted:

Here's my Irish story, my friend almost got his rear end kicked when he was in Dublin cause he was in a bar and ordered an Irish car bomb

Your friend is an idiot.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

when my family visited britain we stayed in a hotel with a small pub on the main floor and went there for dinner one night, and my mother ordered a "small milk" and the waiter brought out a literal thimble filled with milk. that's my u.k. pub story

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Tibetan nationalism isn't.

that's arguably more "china could you please move this boot off of my neck" than nationalism

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Agnosticnixie posted:

There is an extremely strong difference between people who are there because of active, violent colonization and people who are there because of immigration and this is the kind of stupid equivocation that ends up carrying water for zionist expansion and rhodesian nostalgia as though they were value neutral immigrants.

wow it's like d&d europol delivered straight to c-spam

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

"value neutral immigrants" hahahahaha that's the good stuff

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Yinlock posted:

that's arguably more "china could you please move this boot off of my neck" than nationalism

That's what a lot of nationalism is. The drive for self-determination is rarely abstract.

It's pretty funny to think of the similarity between the Irish and the Tibetans, in that they are both naturally backwards and superstitious peoples in thrall to some so-called spiritual authority who were only brought into the modern world through the benevolent overlordship and colonization of a neighboring power. At least, that's what the 19th century English and modern tankies tell me.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Jeb! Repetition posted:

He's saying that beimg against Israeli Apartheid means your antisemite and Europe hates Jews. You will not covince him otherwise

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Your friend is an idiot.

Not gonna hear any arguments from me about that

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Baron Corbyn posted:

The Lords should have just gone through with their plan to move the entire population of Hong Kong to Northern Ireland. That would have brought the IRA and UDF together.

Was that really an idea that got floated? Why?

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Tacky-rear end Rococco posted:

That's what a lot of nationalism is. The drive for self-determination is rarely abstract.

It's pretty funny to think of the similarity between the Irish and the Tibetans, in that they are both naturally backwards and superstitious peoples in thrall to some so-called spiritual authority who were only brought into the modern world through the benevolent overlordship and colonization of a neighboring power. At least, that's what the 19th century English and modern tankies tell me.

no most nationalism is just seeing yourself as Better because you're from Place, and being from Place is an innate measure of worth

it's a disease

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

KomradeX posted:

Was that really an idea that got floated? Why?

Yes, but I was wrong about the provenance of the idea. It was the civil service and not the Lords.

as for why, just people joking around while trying to come up with solutions for what to do with millions of people who might not want to become residents of a totalitarian state once the handover happened.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis

Top City Homo posted:

that's like nationalism for unicorns

gently caress you

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

whomupclicklike posted:

gently caress you

you sound spooked my lad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin