Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Nice man! If you ever do make it to WA, hit me up, and I'll take you out for a hamburger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Kaptainballistik posted:

Google group c kit on Gumtree (the aus version)... Lots of sellerss!

Well, yes, but oh god the shipping.
If that's the only way to get it, then that's what'll happen.

edit: also, I'd say that you boys have an above average garage, counter to what that article says...

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jun 15, 2017

Kaptainballistik
Nov 2, 2005

Why ask me ? I cant understand me either!

Darchangel posted:

Well, yes, but oh god the shipping.

edit: also, I'd say that you boys have an above average garage, counter to what that article says...

It can't be worse than how much the US companies charge for shipping 😂. Japan shipping? Ow, UK? Reasonable, Canada? Fark, USA...FUKDAT.

You think a Fibro, possum infested, Apestos ridden, Funnelweb inhabited, colder than Mawson's hut Garage is above average? Admittedly it's luxury compared to a Garage in Streatham (UK) in the winter ! He he.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
True. Getting parts from my BMW from UK, eg 2 struts, ~$100 shipping. Some control arms and poo poo from the US? US$215/AU$290. Getting things from the US is a rip off. It's way cheaper from UK even though it's further away.
To add insult to injury, all the US places are free shipping within the US, they are just a massive rip off international

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Jun 16, 2017

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Kaptainballistik posted:

It can't be worse than how much the US companies charge for shipping 😂. Japan shipping? Ow, UK? Reasonable, Canada? Fark, USA...FUKDAT.

You think a Fibro, possum infested, Apestos ridden, Funnelweb inhabited, colder than Mawson's hut Garage is above average? Admittedly it's luxury compared to a Garage in Streatham (UK) in the winter ! He he.

Well, I meant more that the occupants/users of the garage are above average, I guess. :)

Fo3 posted:

True. Getting parts from my BMW from UK, eg 2 struts, ~$100 shipping. Some control arms and poo poo from the US? US$215/AU$290. Getting things from the US is a rip off. It's way cheaper from UK even though it's further away.
To add insult to injury, all the US places are free shipping within the US, they are just a massive rip off international

Most likely a "go away" shipping price. Customs is annoying to deal with, and they've got plenty of customers within the US, I imagine. Plus, you're, you know, an island literally on the other side of the world...
I've never tried to ship to AUS, so no idea what the actual costs are. Getting poo poo from China to the US seems cheap enough, if a bit slow.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I just put two struts into the cart at one of my wholesale distributors, and selected "australia," and it gave me a shipping quote of $189 for UPS worldwide express. Then I went to the fedex website and put in two 20lb packages coming from here to Sydney and it tells me $662. USPS says $234. So it's not the dealers that are trying to screw anyone over. However, I think if I actually call fedex and talk to a person they can give better pricing, especially with an account.

jamal fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jun 16, 2017

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Darchangel posted:

Well, I meant more that the occupants/users of the garage are above average, I guess. :)

Most likely a "go away" shipping price. Customs is annoying to deal with, and they've got plenty of customers within the US, I imagine. Plus, you're, you know, an island literally on the other side of the world...
I've never tried to ship to AUS, so no idea what the actual costs are. Getting poo poo from China to the US seems cheap enough, if a bit slow.

Also depends on if it's air frieght or you are happy it takes a boat. The thing is tho that USA / UK shipping by either is waaaay more expensive than shipping from China - it's not like the real costs of air freight or sea freight are much different for the distance.

I used to work in freight forwarding so I kinda do know about the real costs - and the truth is that Chinese retailers are shipping for the true cost of frieght without the stupid unjustified markups. Every single big courier company like FedEX have their own customs agents whose job it is to get things through customs so the excuse its a PITA just simply isnt true - you sign the form, maybe pay taxes and 99% of time it's greenlined through customs. Redline basically is customs inspection but that's only a minor delay.

The next thing for charging for freight is that air is volume * weight so there is a sweet spot for maximisiing profit per pallet. You dont want your pallet too light so something heavy but small is perfect to start with as you can throw in lots of small poo poo to bulk it out. You pay just per container via sea so it's 4 grand, stuff whatever you want in there up to the rated weight of the container. The cost to run per hour of an aircraft is much lower BUT it isnt carrying 1,000 containers at once, is it? Car parts are actually a really good cargo for air due to small size and weight.

But anyway, this is one of the reasons why China is exporting so much of anything. It's not that they are eating the cost of shipping, it's more chinese couriers are exporting for the real cost... now wether that's because they are low cost to begin with or that they dont have fuckwit CEO's mumbling poo poo about "increasing shareholder value" whil paying themselves 30 million..... well thats a debate for elsewhere.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

It's bullshit. I want a cheaper upper intercooler pipe for my evo, which I can get from the YSA for $200, but postage is $300.

A loving poster rolled up in a tube is the same dimensions and cost $40 overnight freight.

The weight isn't even that much heavier when you consider the poster is in a heavy duty tube that weighs almost as much as the pipe does in bubble wrap and a box.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Friday evening -

Engine sans flywheel and clutch ready to be put in

Gae the engine back a clean with a lot of degreaser and a pressure washer. The pint under the bonnet is in terrible condition and a few bashes and bruises are clearer - I'm pretty much thinking once this thing is running again I will need to pull it apart and repaint.

Today -

Centre console / crashbar tunnel mount out

It.... uhhh.... didnt go well. I *really didnt want to damage the or drill out the tunnel but it rapidly became cleear the spot welds werent coming out any other way without mangling metal

So other side came out much cleaner. I'll just fill the holes

Brackets that need changing off the firewall

And now the 00 crashbar got a test fit and bolted in to give the location I reweld the 00 tunnel mount in.

And a big landmark hit - the 95 brake booster out and I finally bolt in 00 parts permantly - the brake booster and bias value.

Other things done - interior wiring more removed and 00 ABS black located and.....

Oh WHAT THE gently caress? The 95 front chassis skirts are narrower than the 00??? This I did not know and this is going to be a PITA..... I also threw out the 95 ABS mount thinking I wouldnt need it -_-

Well poo poo. I'll have to have a think how to make a bracket for this. Or see if I can find a 95 ABS block bracket. Lesson learnt today - dont presume even if the shell looks the same that it is. Which is weird as all the bolt holes are in the right place relative to the bracket...... Oh well, dealt with worse.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Also turns out the steering shaft hole is smaller on the 95 compared ot the 00. But this time I know I can fix this resonably easily.

Supplies for today

Hit the crash bar wth rust converter and Kill Rust - I know it's used for earthing the accessories so I'll be making sure earthing is right

Bit more engine bay tidyup and rust converter / paint

Flywheel / clutch in.

Bunch of little bits done too to ready for some important work next week

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

jamal posted:

I just put two struts into the cart at one of my wholesale distributors, and selected "australia," and it gave me a shipping quote of $189 for UPS worldwide express. Then I went to the fedex website and put in two 20lb packages coming from here to Sydney and it tells me $662. USPS says $234. So it's not the dealers that are trying to screw anyone over. However, I think if I actually call fedex and talk to a person they can give better pricing, especially with an account.

I pretty much always figured it was the shippers being asshats.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Oh hey I'm in an wrist splint.

Didnt stop me much.

That's the first time I've put a motor in by myself. Usually I have assistance but decided to go for it anyway. Apart from the chain being too long and the engine lift being a piece of poo poo and swining an engine into position being awkward for one person.... didnt go too bad.

So now the engine lift is out of hte way, the harness I have is spread out

Now you think the motor being in would be easy to reassemble from here right....?

Well... poo poo. MY95 power steering is different lines and will never fit.

Welll I guess I better go buy another Subaru for the parts

*sigh*

I wish I was joking :/

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

What's the total car tally up to this point?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

iospace posted:

What's the total car tally up to this point?

Ummmm...... 9?

poo poo I lost count

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
So what's wrong with this one?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Don Dongington posted:

So what's wrong with this one?

Besides the paint job?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Laserface posted:

Besides the paint job?

Knock Knock

Who's there?

Conrod

(Sexspec show car)

Kinda a group buy to savage for parts. It cant be put back onto the road because it's missing a compliance plate and VIN so..... it gets torn apart.

Back to the WreckX

Sizing up a few bits to see if I need to get more pieces

Everything in place for welding

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

I'd like to thank Mighty Car Mods for bringing me to understanding of the term "sex spec".

Kaptainballistik
Nov 2, 2005

So what's this then?

Kaptainballistik fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jun 25, 2017

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

He means this

(Reminds self to set up gallery in the new site)

Kaptainballistik
Nov 2, 2005

Remind me to check with the admin to see if he is playing around with hosting before I delete/reload my images........ 😂

Kaptainballistik fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Jun 25, 2017

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Kaptainballistik posted:

So what's this then?

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

He means this

(Reminds self to set up gallery in the new site)

A 404 error?

Kaptainballistik
Nov 2, 2005

It means the Technical Analyst was trying to solve an apparent issue whilst the Sys Admin was modifying end data to solve the issue.

Apparently AllianceMotorsport needs to start using ITIL processes...... Or I Shouldn't attempt upload from myiPhone!

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
It looks like a wrong-generation RX-7 to me?

Kaptainballistik
Nov 2, 2005

(The yellow RADL light flashes in a deep and dark bunker.....)

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Kaptainballistik posted:

(The yellow RADL light flashes in a deep and dark bunker.....)
So, the yellow one's for when someone defames an RX7, and the red one's for when someone installs an LSx in one.

There's a blue light for when a new RX7 is announced. Will it ever shine?

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Hey, there's 3 generations of RX-7s - one of them is there to donate parts to the other two generations and that's a fine and worthy job.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

mekilljoydammit posted:

Hey, there's 3 generations of RX-7s - one of them is there to donate parts to the other two generations and that's a fine and worthy job.

I actually like FCs :colbert:

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Don Dongington posted:

I actually like FCs :colbert:

Well, you're entitled to your wrong opinion. :D

I'm just kidding, I've been being ribbed for 15 years for liking the "wrong" generation of RX-7, I kinda can't help but pass it on.

Kaptainballistik
Nov 2, 2005

Don Dongington posted:

There's a blue light for when a new RX7 is announced. Will it ever shine?

It better drat well!

And the rotary we all don't care about is the Rx5......

Kaptainballistik fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Jun 27, 2017

Kaptainballistik
Nov 2, 2005

The CHU has a new home.

It's a little less Cramped... And I own it! (Well, my half of 5 mortgage payments....)

Kaptainballistik fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jun 27, 2017

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Going through that album, is that the one with the Proper bridgeported motor?

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Kaptainballistik posted:

It better drat well!

And the rotary we all don't care about is the Rx5......

Agreed. The original 121 platform was such a mistake. But all us oldies loved the 13B and 5spd in it for donators. I think nearly every RX I owned (besides the 12AT) had housings or gearbox from a rx5

Also above latest pics still not working for me.

In US freight chat, I just got a 310mmx310mmx900mm box weighing 16kg full of suspension parts delivered from fpceuro for ~US$100. Best deal so far I got from there.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Kaptainballistik posted:

The CHU has a new home.

It's a little less Cramped... And I own it! (Well, my half of 5 mortgage payments....)

Just a head's up, a lot of web browsers can't view images that have http in the address on the forums these days. You need to use https in the address for images to work.

Kaptainballistik
Nov 2, 2005

That may be what the issue is!

OI HOSTING! I'm putting in a change request!

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

I don't know why, but now I'm looking into local circuit classes for anything where a bridgeport gets any sort of break compared to peripheral...

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Kaptainballistik posted:

That may be what the issue is!

OI HOSTING! I'm putting in a change request!

I told you, I'm setting up someting for you in the new gallery

Once I fix this ginormous fuckup at the DC because someone (not me) didnt put in monitoring for a NetApp like he was supposed to and also thin provisioned the LUN's... and THEN over provisioned. So guess what happened?

And said person also decided to come into the office drunk and threw up in the waste bin. Then proceeded to empty said bin into a bin in anohter office. At which point I lost my temper and told him to loving at least throw it outside on the street. And then get out and dont come back until they were sober.

Oh and not to mention a few other things and I'm having a poo poo of a week. I'll be glad to be spannering the WRX this weekend.

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Jun 28, 2017

Kaptainballistik
Nov 2, 2005

I would have made him fix the LUN then reported his rear end.
But hey, my job is to be an rear end in a top hat after all!

(I'm not kidding, my job is to be a bastard to IT people who screw up...)

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
I like the snowy mountainscape paint job

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Kaptainballistik posted:

(I'm not kidding, my job is to be a bastard to IT people who screw up...)

So you're a manager?