Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
This speech from Picard about technological advancement is awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Did any of the actors wear corsets or were they all just good and slim for Starfleet uniforms?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ik_HA5m7Gps&t=176s

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

"My people once lived in caves."

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Weren't people executed for atheism in ancient Greece?

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

I wonder if Picard's gonna fake his own death to demonstrate he's not a god. That's what I'd do.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Oh poo poo he's showing her one of the anthros dying instead.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

Jeb! Repetition posted:

The subtitle thing is still happening.

GeordI: " But what I don't understand is why a three-man station would need a reactor capable of producing 4.2 gigawatts."
Subtitle: "But why does a three-man station need a 4.2 gigawatt reactor?"

Isn't that pretty standard though? Not that I watch much TV with subtitles, but I've noticed that too and I always figured that it was to not fill up the screen with text.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

A whole lot of stuff about mortality and how it's what people in the Federation still share with ancient civilizations but come on, let's be real, if humans are still around in the 24th century we're sure as hell gonna have biomedical immortality.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

Isn't that pretty standard though? Not that I watch much TV with subtitles, but I've noticed that too and I always figured that it was to not fill up the screen with text.

I figured the subtitles are the script and onscreen is LeVar adding a bit extra.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Episode over. So far, that was the prime directive episode. It was completely direct and made a compelling case for why the directive exists.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Jeb! Repetition posted:

A whole lot of stuff about mortality and how it's what people in the Federation still share with ancient civilizations but come on, let's be real, if humans are still around in the 24th century we're sure as hell gonna have biomedical immortality.

While yes, odds are good we'll eventually overcome mortality as a species, stories about immortal cybernetic meta-consciousness'es flying around in fully automated starships run by hyper-competent AIs only work when you tell the story from the point of view of someone who's not one of those things.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

I wonder if anyone involved intended the Picard-as-God stuff to be satire of fans treating Star Trek like a religion.

8one6 posted:

While yes, odds are good we'll eventually overcome mortality as a species, stories about immortal cybernetic meta-consciousness'es flying around in fully automated starships run by hyper-competent AIs only work when you tell the story from the point of view of someone who's not one of those things.

I don't even mean that kind of true immortality, just biological mortality where folks don't age. But I guess, unless it's a kid's story, usually the immortality itself is the main focus when it's like that. And mortality is a romantic thing and part of our collective experience so I fully understand why Star Trek went this way even if they knew it was unrealistic.

Jewel Repetition fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Jun 26, 2017

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Episode over. So far, that was the prime directive episode. It was completely direct and made a compelling case for why the directive exists.

Yeah it's pretty good and has a lot of great memorable moments. Plus, as you said, The Picard.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Jeb! Repetition posted:

I think it was weird that after she accepted he wasn't a god, a scene later she was back on the God train. It was a strange flow.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Zesty posted:

I think it was weird that after she accepted he wasn't a god, a scene later she was back on the God train. It was a strange flow.

Yeah that was jarring, it really seemed like she was getting it during the Picard's speech. I guess they just needed to fill time or really wanted the scene where she sees humans could die and wouldn't have a reason if she was already redpilled.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

8one6 posted:

I feel like I need to defend O'Brien, because he transferred to the job of Transporter Chief. The Ent-D had 20 transporter rooms (I'm not sure if that counted the cargo transporters). Even if you assume half of them aren't in operation at any given time that' still three shifts for 10 rooms for 7 days a week. O'Brien was in charge of at least 80 people. TNG's budget being what it is all of those people were always on special assignment in cetacean ops when the episodes were filming.

I bet it would be boring though. 8 or 12 hour shifts every day just to push a couple of buttons to zip someone somewhere. It's not even like it's a starbase and he constantly does stuff. I'm sure there are weeks where not much happens because they are constantly in transit somewhere. There's not even a chair for him to kick back and relax on.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Jeb! Repetition posted:

This speech from Picard about technological advancement is awesome.

I love how he says "A bigger hut, a better bow"

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Nullsmack posted:

I bet it would be boring though. 8 or 12 hour shifts every day just to push a couple of buttons to zip someone somewhere. It's not even like it's a starbase and he constantly does stuff. I'm sure there are weeks where not much happens because they are constantly in transit somewhere. There's not even a chair for him to kick back and relax on.

Honestly the missing chair is the worst part of the whole thing.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Nullsmack posted:

I've always assumed that they were also doing things like maintaining the transporter systems as well, but yeah, as presented it's got to be the most boring job in starfleet.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Yeah that was jarring, it really seemed like she was getting it during the Picard's speech. I guess they just needed to fill time or really wanted the scene where she sees humans could die and wouldn't have a reason if she was already redpilled.

Also could have just been how the episode got edited after everything was shot.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

MikeJF posted:

Counterpoint: Who Watches the Watchers is great and one of the best Prime Directive episodes.

Riposte Counterpoint: No it isn't, and the Prime Directive is the worst thing about TNG-onward.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

8one6 posted:

I've always assumed that they were also doing things like maintaining the transporter systems as well, but yeah, as presented it's got to be the most boring job in starfleet.

He was skilled enough to be the Chief Engineer on board of a space station and could do damned near anything. I just assume he was doing usual engineering stuff around the ship for the hotshot officers in Engineering.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

MikeJF posted:

I figured the subtitles are the script and onscreen is LeVar adding a bit extra.

I hadn't considered that, but that's a good point. A bit of Googling suggests that the reasons why subs don't always match the dialogue is probably a mix of both our ideas, plus timing considerations, i.e. if someone's talking fast that there is not too much to read before the next line. Of course, there's always the possibility that the subtitler is just poo poo at their job as well.

dont even fink about it posted:

Riposte Counterpoint: No it isn't, and the Prime Directive is the worst thing about TNG-onward.

The Prime Directive is fine, it's just the way it was treated was pretty terrible, especially in Voyager.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Kibayasu posted:

After seeing that final side-by-side the time cops probably should have given him a letter of reprimand for stuffing that blue shirt lieutenant in a locker because how else would he have gotten her notepad.
It's even worse, that part's taken from a different episode, specifically the Mirror Universe one. Sisko clearly time-jumped again to a few weeks earlier before kidnapping that lieutenant to meet Kirk.

Arglebargle III posted:

Weren't people executed for atheism in ancient Greece?
There was no single "ancient Greece", just a bunch of city-states that shared a common culture. I'm sure some of them executed some people for "offending the gods" or whatever from time to time, but by the time of Classical Greece a lot of the philosophers were promoting ideals along the lines of atheism and, more probably commonly, agnosticism. It probably wouldn't have been a good idea for them to go to Delphi and start preaching that stuff in front of the Oracle, but those ideas were definitely around and tolerated in common society.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Had to take a break but I'm watching again. Wesley just said "gigabytes of computer memory," in awe.

How did you do this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSHUIEDBbl4

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Knormal posted:

There was no single "ancient Greece", just a bunch of city-states that shared a common culture.

Lmao

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

He is in principle correct though. Greece was not politically unified until the Macedonian kings, and where there's political disunity there will be a variety of cultures and religious mores. Atheism was a theme in Greek philosophy from an early date (Democritus was preaching materialism in the 5th century, Heraclitus while definitely not materialistic disavowed gods in favor of an elemental animating principle even earlier) and most Sophists and all Epicureans were atheistic as a matter of course. Obviously the vast majority of people continued to practice religion and in some places it was a capital crime to blaspheme, which is what they got Socrates for, but there was definitely local variation -- the Athenians seem to have been particularly tetchy about anyone criticizing the state cults.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

skasion posted:

He is in principle correct though. Greece was not politically unified until the Macedonian kings, and where there's political disunity there will be a variety of cultures and religious mores. Atheism was a theme in Greek philosophy from an early date (Democritus was preaching materialism in the 5th century, Heraclitus while definitely not materialistic disavowed gods in favor of an elemental animating principle even earlier) and most Sophists and all Epicureans were atheistic as a matter of course. Obviously the vast majority of people continued to practice religion and in some places it was a capital crime to blaspheme, which is what they got Socrates for, but there was definitely local variation -- the Athenians seem to have been particularly tetchy about anyone criticizing the state cults.

And those goddamn dirty horsefucking hillfolk Macedonians aren't even real Greeks! ~Demosthenes

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

I just rewatched Hard Time last night and it's incredibly messed up that they implanted a memory of killing a dude into O'Brien

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

hiddenriverninja posted:

I just rewatched Hard Time last night and it's incredibly messed up that they implanted a memory of killing a dude into O'Brien

The entire thing is so hosed, but that's the point, by the time you're ready to argue about how hosed it is, it's already been done!

Justice must be swift.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
A bunch of clickbaity articles this morning about how Discovery is going against Gene's vision because there will be :siren:interpersonal conflict:siren: between Starfleet officers

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

The Bloop posted:

there will be :siren:interpersonal conflict:siren: between Starfleet officers

But technological progress solved all that!

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

The Bloop posted:

A bunch of clickbaity articles this morning about how Discovery is going against Gene's vision because there will be :siren:interpersonal conflict:siren: between Starfleet officers

Maybe there is hope for it, then.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

The Bloop posted:

What bothers me is that's clearly come from people who haven't really seen the show because there was always conflict. And also, tons of people are reading it that 'everyone will hate everyone else'. :wtc:

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

The_Doctor posted:

What bothers me is that's clearly come from people who haven't really seen the show because there was always conflict. And also, tons of people are reading it that 'everyone will hate everyone else'. :wtc:

Doctor, thanks for the Toddy McDoyle FB thingy. Cheers me all the way up, wha?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
We'll settle this like civilized people from the future. On the Anbo-jyutsu mat!

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

The_Doctor posted:

I mean even watch classics like Balance of Terror from TOS. The navigator phaser officer? really has a lot of suspicion about Spock and wasn't afraid to voice it. I think a better interpretation of the "no interpersonal conflict" thing is that people should argue in good faith and be willing to be shown wrong and change their minds, not that there is never any disagreement in the first place. The former is at least within the realm of idealistic imagination, and something we can and should all work toward, whereas the latter sounds like, well, the Borg.

Winifred Madgers fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jun 26, 2017

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

That whole no inter crew conflict thing was more of a late stage Roddenberry directive for Next Gen, and it was pretty much adhered to in that show. But it was pretty much just that show.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

remusclaw posted:

That whole no inter crew conflict thing was more of a late stage Roddenberry directive for Next Gen, and it was pretty much adhered to in that show. But it was pretty much just that show.

Yea, it's the bad era of TNG where they're trying to stick to "Gene's vision" then he died and whoops suddenly it got a lot better, hey look at that.

Jellico/Shelby would not have been allowed were Gene still alive and in control.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Ensign Ro: *is angry at everyone*