Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

Martout posted:

Is this game actually any fun at all to play or are you just self flaggelating as per usual in this here subforum?

It's not bad, it's a bit dated tbh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Len posted:

That was why every alt I had was male. I wasn't going to pay to unlock the unicorn visage account wide a second time. I could see things that didn't have a female equivalent being gender bound but things like the golden tux? Why do you need to buy that twice? I mean we all know the true reason is Code Is Hard but I'm pretty sure no other f2p game did poo poo like that

I mean, every male piece has a female counterpart and vice versa. Some are skirts and pants and shorts, but they're all there as far as I'm aware. Why not just have "clothing item 1" and if it's equipped on a dude it's one way, if it's a girl it's another. Much better way to do it.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Third World Reggin posted:

if you join the dragon faction, you have to be asian

I am a black man from london because I joined the good faction

That can't be true, Brometheus is a Dragon despite looking like Fred Durst.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I recall reading something about the Dragon mission texts having changed. Is this still the case?

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

So is it as bad as we thought it'd be? Worth downloading even though it's bad or just not even funny?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

kayakyakr posted:

I mean, every male piece has a female counterpart and vice versa. Some are skirts and pants and shorts, but they're all there as far as I'm aware. Why not just have "clothing item 1" and if it's equipped on a dude it's one way, if it's a girl it's another. Much better way to do it.

Because code is hard and the pubs defend the practice so why bother changing it?

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
(tell) me about blade and what passives I should probably be picking up

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

So is it as bad as we thought it'd be? Worth downloading even though it's bad or just not even funny?

The solution to everything in this game id now "Throw money at it" even though the game is so dumbed down and easy that you have no problems.

For a nice example. There are no drops off normal mobs, bosses or named mobs you have killed before except for a single item that drops from time to time. This item is a Agartha Lockbox. Its got garbage in it. It costs ONE DOLLAR AND FIFTY CENTS to open. I currently have a stack of 100 Agartha Lockboxes on my character for my time killing packs of zombies. It would cost me ONE HUNDRED AND FIFTY DOLLARS to open all of my loot drops. They also sell the lockboxes in Agartha for 100 marks at a dedicated vendor just for this lockbox. I am a lifetime patron so I get one key a day for being a patron to open up one of my hundred lockboxes. Of the three I have opened so far I have received some weapons and talisman essence and some Third Age coin currency. Literally gently caress all.

This is the game now. Lockboxes that you dont want to open are showered on you. The dungeons are pants on head retarded easy and reward nothing. There is literally no purpose for dedicated healers or tanks currently so that chops off a whole line of skills in each weapon. Lastly every single bug I encountered when I played this game 5 years ago is still present ie, Rifles replicate and you can have one on your back when you are holding one, Closing a minor rift only works 50% of the time.

Funcom needs money and this is their bake sale because you have to be baked to play it.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Do you get the TSW account unlock stuff on all characters?

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Drinkfist posted:

The solution to everything in this game id now "Throw money at it" even though the game is so dumbed down and easy that you have no problems.

For a nice example. There are no drops off normal mobs, bosses or named mobs you have killed before except for a single item that drops from time to time. This item is a Agartha Lockbox. Its got garbage in it. It costs ONE DOLLAR AND FIFTY CENTS to open. I currently have a stack of 100 Agartha Lockboxes on my character for my time killing packs of zombies. It would cost me ONE HUNDRED AND FIFTY DOLLARS to open all of my loot drops. They also sell the lockboxes in Agartha for 100 marks at a dedicated vendor just for this lockbox. I am a lifetime patron so I get one key a day for being a patron to open up one of my hundred lockboxes. Of the three I have opened so far I have received some weapons and talisman essence and some Third Age coin currency. Literally gently caress all.

This is the game now. Lockboxes that you dont want to open are showered on you. The dungeons are pants on head retarded easy and reward nothing. There is literally no purpose for dedicated healers or tanks currently so that chops off a whole line of skills in each weapon. Lastly every single bug I encountered when I played this game 5 years ago is still present ie, Rifles replicate and you can have one on your back when you are holding one, Closing a minor rift only works 50% of the time.

Funcom needs money and this is their bake sale because you have to be baked to play it.

OTOH, story is still pretty good and if you don't give a poo poo about loots, then you should enjoy it.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

"The greatest honor history can bestow is the title of peacemaker."

Space Skeleton posted:

Do you get the TSW account unlock stuff on all characters?

Yes you do. With the already stated caveat of gender mattering.

I don't understand the bitching about receiving loot boxes. Especially the complaints about just picking them up being annoying. Delete them, who cares? Nobody is forcing you to spend money to open them, and right now it's not exactly going to drive big bucks to funcom. I'm expecting there to be monthly rotating boxes that have different cosmetic themes since costumes are one of the biggest sellers in mmos. Pets and weapon skins too. The crafting boosts drop a little too often but it's nice to power level gear with and the fragments are a common way to eventually get a thing you want. I'm not white knighting funcom and the monetization system, just saying that it's not the most funcompetent system in the world. I enjoy opening my one cache a day for fun.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Its Secret World still.

The monetization stuff is awful, but from doing the math you can have 2-3 weapons mostly unlocked by the end of 1-50, and almost fully unlocked by the end of Tokyo. They gave all old players 3 character slots/all the weapons unlocked to begin with, which means you can still play with most of the weapons. Considering I was never going to do anything outside of Shotgun/Hammer/Pistols this seems ok.

Most importantly even with the worst launch imaginable it's apparently taken off. People on Reddit are saying they've already put $500+ into the game every day since launch, and can't get enough of SWL. It's captured the elusive whale market. Aka we will finally see what comes after Tokyo, and potentially even Season 2 all off the backs of the whales. And we won't have to pay for it!

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Rookersh posted:

Most importantly even with the worst launch imaginable it's apparently taken off. People on Reddit are saying they've already put $500+ into the game every day since launch, and can't get enough of SWL. It's captured the elusive whale market. Aka we will finally see what comes after Tokyo, and potentially even Season 2 all off the backs of the whales. And we won't have to pay for it!

:stare:

That's cool I guess. For the reasons you stated.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Third World Reggin posted:

(tell) me about blade and what passives I should probably be picking up

Base Build (actives):
Flowing Strike
Swallow Cut
Hurricane
Spirit Blade

Base Build (passives):
Masterpiece
Draw Sword, Draw Blood
Hardened Blade

Active/Passive combos for the other slots:
Soothing Spirit (active) with Clairvoyance (Passive): Great for suvivability especially if you add Immortal Spirit
Rushing River (active) with Waterfall (Passive): High AoE damage and an expose. Bad for stationary fights.
Tsunami (active) and Storm Surge (Passive): If you go this route, drop Swallow Cut and Hardened Blade.

Other Good Passives:
Measure Twice, Cut Once
Focused Breathing
Resonance (Good with Tsunami)
Warrior's Spirit (Good with Soulforged Blade)

Bad Actives:
Impale Spirit: Basically the same thing as Rushing River but you have to hit a target to dash and you only get one Dash. Also doesn't expose on both hits. You have to take Sunder Spirit for this to not be garbage.
Tempest: Deals less damage up front than Hurricane with barely more over time for 2 more energy. Might be better with Whirlwind but then you give up an active and passive.
Typhoon: Only useful as an impair. If you want bonus damage, Supreme Harmony is significantly better because of Heal + Duration + Cleanse.
Hone: You get more damage from Supreme Harmony.

Bad Passives:
Eye of the Storm: You'll get better +damage from most any other passive you choose.
Keen Edge: Would be better if it was Crit and not Crit power.
Deluge: Six loving hits? Really? Masterpiece is 4 hits and does double the damage.
Reversal: The damage is too low. For Chi gains, Measure Twice, Cut Once and Focused Breathing are strictly better.
Sweeping Slice: Really low damage.

Saltpowered fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jun 26, 2017

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Rookersh posted:

I'll settle for knowing if taking the gift or refusing the gift means something at the end of the Kingsmouth stuff.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

M_Sinistrari posted:

I'll settle for knowing if taking the gift or refusing the gift means something at the end of the Kingsmouth stuff.

Tokyo spoilers

you get a special attack where you do a crazy burst dps and have wings. Your decision influences the colors of the wings

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

M_Sinistrari posted:

It means something but not until Tokyo.

Thern
Aug 12, 2006

Say Hello To My Little Friend

Lawlicaust posted:

Base Build (actives):
Flowing Strike
Swallow Cut
Hurricane
Spirit Blade

Base Build (passives):
Masterpiece
Draw Sword, Draw Blood
Hardened Blade

Active/Passive combos for the other slots:
Soothing Spirit (active) with Clairvoyance (Passive): Great for suvivability especially if you add Immortal Spirit
Rushing River (active) with Waterfall (Passive): High AoE damage and an expose. Bad for stationary fights.
Tsunami (active) and Storm Surge (Passive): If you go this route, drop Swallow Cut and Hardened Blade.

Other Good Passives:
Measure Twice, Cut Once
Focused Breathing
Resonance (Good with Tsunami)
Warrior's Spirit (Good with Soulforged Blade)

Bad Actives:
Impale Spirit: Basically the same thing as Rushing River but you have to hit a target to dash and you only get one Dash. Also doesn't expose on both hits. You have to take Sunder Spirit for this to not be garbage.
Tempest: Deals less damage up front than Hurricane with barely more over time for 2 more energy. Might be better with Whirlwind but then you give up an active and passive.
Typhoon: Only useful as an impair. If you want bonus damage, Supreme Harmony is significantly better because of Heal + Duration + Cleanse.
Hone: You get more damage from Supreme Harmony.

Bad Passives:
Eye of the Storm: You'll get better +damage from most any other passive you choose.
Keen Edge: Would be better if it was Crit and not Crit power.
Deluge: Six loving hits? Really? Masterpiece is 4 hits and does double the damage.
Reversal: The damage is too low. For Chi gains, Measure Twice, Cut Once and Focused Breathing are strictly better.
Sweeping Slice: Really low damage.

Ooo now do one for shotgun.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Thern posted:

Ooo now do one for shotgun.

I will tomorrow but the short version is Both Barrels, Raging Shot, Pump Action, Shell Salvage. Evens and Odds, the Raging Shot passive. A lot of the other actives and passives are situationally good except the increased chance of getting damage shells passive which is hot garbage and the fire shell passive because why the gently caress wouldn't you use depleted uranium or armor piercing.

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

M_Sinistrari posted:

Tell that motherfucker to go suck eggs.

Richard M Nixon posted:

I don't understand the bitching about receiving loot boxes. Especially the complaints about just picking them up being annoying. Delete them, who cares? Nobody is forcing you to spend money to open them, and right now it's not exactly going to drive big bucks to funcom. I'm expecting there to be monthly rotating boxes that have different cosmetic themes since costumes are one of the biggest sellers in mmos. Pets and weapon skins too. The crafting boosts drop a little too often but it's nice to power level gear with and the fragments are a common way to eventually get a thing you want. I'm not white knighting funcom and the monetization system, just saying that it's not the most funcompetent system in the world. I enjoy opening my one cache a day for fun.

The Loot boxes feel like the straw that broke the camels back for me. I have lifetime patron but they monetized loving everything. Clothing, Sprints and Mounts, AP and SP, Upgrade Materials, Pets, and the vending machines that are now sitting in my inventory of which is now very loving expensive to expand slots for. This patron system is also poo poo. The strangest thing is that even after all that monetized poo poo there is still nothing I want to spend money on. This is coming from a guy who got a lifetime sub when this game came out.

gently caress they need to cut the essence drops out of the dungeons and just go pure real loot and then increase all boss damage and hp by at least 30% to make this not boring. (Although these same dungeons have been around for 5 years and I don't know if they will ever be fun for me again.)

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Now that the game's actually live: I know they apparently cut a bunch of sidequests, but did they remove any of the ones that actually gave you a unique faction-specific response from your handler? Because removing even a little of the game's only real selling point would be dumb and bad, imo.

Inverted Sphere
Aug 19, 2013
Alright so as somebody who's never actually played TSW before but does have an original account on account of having bought the game Very Many Moons ago, which version of TSW is better to play through for the very first time? I'm a little worried by how cash-shop driven TSW:2 sounds, and by the talk I've heard about how while in TSW1 you can generally pick up all the weapons/skills sooner or later it's basically impossible in TSW:2.

Thern
Aug 12, 2006

Say Hello To My Little Friend

Lawlicaust posted:

I will tomorrow but the short version is Both Barrels, Raging Shot, Pump Action, Shell Salvage. Evens and Odds, the Raging Shot passive. A lot of the other actives and passives are situationally good except the increased chance of getting damage shells passive which is hot garbage and the fire shell passive because why the gently caress wouldn't you use depleted uranium or armor piercing.

You sir are a saint.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

dmboogie posted:

Now that the game's actually live: I know they apparently cut a bunch of sidequests, but did they remove any of the ones that actually gave you a unique faction-specific response from your handler? Because removing even a little of the game's only real selling point would be dumb and bad, imo.

They cut a few garbage side missions in a few zones (mainly early on). Mostly generic response stuff. All the quests with flavor are still there (other than maybe Tango and Cash, I still haven't seen it, but it was broken so often that there's no real loss).

Inverted Sphere posted:

Alright so as somebody who's never actually played TSW before but does have an original account on account of having bought the game Very Many Moons ago, which version of TSW is better to play through for the very first time? I'm a little worried by how cash-shop driven TSW:2 sounds, and by the talk I've heard about how while in TSW1 you can generally pick up all the weapons/skills sooner or later it's basically impossible in TSW:2.

Play SWL. You don't have to do any of the cash shop stuff and as a new player, it will probably seem fine.

Inverted Sphere
Aug 19, 2013

Lawlicaust posted:

Play SWL. You don't have to do any of the cash shop stuff and as a new player, it will probably seem fine.

Fair enough! So how bad does the grind end up getting, since I noticed the OP mentioning that you pretty much need to pick two weapons and stick with them and if you wanna play with other weapons, you basically have to start paying real cash or taking an alt through the story? That feels like that adds a lot of pressure to not just pick starting weapons willy-nilly.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
When is the Steam release again?

SkullMuffinz
Jan 31, 2011

I like things that are dumb.
So, I checked the OP to see if there was any new or useful tips that I may have missed and I noticed it says to save lore pickups until 50. I thought it turned out not to matter and just pick them up as you see them, is that correct?

Luckily I'm still on the early parts of Kingsmouth so I should be okay regardless of what the answer is, just want to know what I should be doing moving forward.

Pryce
May 21, 2011

Inverted Sphere posted:

Fair enough! So how bad does the grind end up getting, since I noticed the OP mentioning that you pretty much need to pick two weapons and stick with them and if you wanna play with other weapons, you basically have to start paying real cash or taking an alt through the story? That feels like that adds a lot of pressure to not just pick starting weapons willy-nilly.

The character creation screen is literally 'pick a class' now. So pick one that sounds cool, and if you don't like it, delete and pick another. No different than any other MMO in that regard (other than having a single character slot... so decide early.)

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Drinkfist posted:

gently caress they need to cut the essence drops out of the dungeons and just go pure real loot and then increase all boss damage and hp by at least 30% to make this not boring. (Although these same dungeons have been around for 5 years and I don't know if they will ever be fun for me again.)

I did that dungeon in Savage Coast this morning with 2 randoms. They spent most of it talking about how getting essence drops from the boss chests was better for the game because it made the item drops more valuable.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Pryce posted:

The character creation screen is literally 'pick a class' now. So pick one that sounds cool, and if you don't like it, delete and pick another. No different than any other MMO in that regard (other than having a single character slot... so decide early.)

Unless you have an original account, which gives you 3 slots (patron or no). Old patron accounts unlock all weapon slots for you.

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

When is the Steam release again?

Month or two out. Theoretically, the reason is to avoid losing 20-30% to steam on currency purchases.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Man I forgot how bad the patcher for this shitpile is. Speed jumping around wildly, download time estimate is now --:--:--

Oh well, did the arg and got my shadow chaos focus, I guess. Or I will get it, maybe, sometime?

e: Checked on reddit and you can pretty much just copy over your old RDB folder from TSW if you still have it installed, knocked my download down to like 3gb.

angerbot fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jun 26, 2017

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

angerbeet posted:

Man I forgot how bad the patcher for this shitpile is. Speed jumping around wildly, download time estimate is now --:--:--

Oh well, did the arg and got my shadow chaos focus, I guess. Or I will get it, maybe, sometime?

e: Checked on reddit and you can pretty much just copy over your old RDB folder from TSW if you still have it installed, knocked my download down to like 3gb.

:iiam:

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Inverted Sphere posted:

The skill grind is real. You only get enough AP from to 50 to get the skills for two weapons and get slightly into a 3rd. You get enough SP to do maybe 6 full passive lines.

SkullMuffinz posted:

So, I checked the OP to see if there was any new or useful tips that I may have missed and I noticed it says to save lore pickups until 50. I thought it turned out not to matter and just pick them up as you see them, is that correct?

Luckily I'm still on the early parts of Kingsmouth so I should be okay regardless of what the answer is, just want to know what I should be doing moving forward.

Fixed in the OP. It does not matter because of the way AP/SP scale. Get them as you see them.

Saltpowered fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jun 26, 2017

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Lawlicaust posted:

The skill grind is real. You only get enough AP from to 50 to get the skills for two weapons and get slightly into a 3rd. You get enough SP to do maybe 6 full passive lines.

Fixed in the OP. It does not matter because of the way AP/SP scale. Get them as you see them.

I mean, if you're going for full skill trees, 2 weapons and a bit of a 3rd seems about right.

Does AP/SP slow down as you get higher in level?

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

kayakyakr posted:

I mean, if you're going for full skill trees, 2 weapons and a bit of a 3rd seems about right.

Lawl can answer better since he's poo poo into quite a few socks while playing, but the XP required to level does scale at a significantly higher factor than the XP received from quests. Someone estimated the average # of quests needed per AP/SP at 50 but I don't have it stored. I like to think that lairs/elite dungeons will be higher sources of XP once they're released.

E: Can't say I understand the grief about not being able to max all the weapons easily. This isn't TSW where just soloing mobs requires 3-4 weapons to get the right mix. Weapons are a flavor more than a tool in SWL, so making them harder to unlock is understandable. You're just being gated from 100%ing the game, not from being able to remain competitive.

Richard M Nixon fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jun 27, 2017

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I'm a few quests into savage coast and hating that I took blood magic. The corruption mechanic doesn't make sense and the self-damage is getting really annoying.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Richard M Nixon posted:

People are complaining because the original game didn't do as much monetization. People were complaining on the slightest whiff of P2W in TSW, and then they pull this which is hilarious.

All those loot boxes had directly tradable contents, no monthly sub needed. You cannot acquire anything similar to a Pax reserve with ease, because Marks of Favor are capped per day and require a fairly sizable time investment to do it. Then there's the 10 AH sell limit per day. Ad nauseum.

The economy is going to be nastier than anything TSW had, and this is coming from someone who managed to obtain two complete event and store bag sets for two accounts, and 99% for a third.

You're also forgetting a really critical difference in TSW when you talk about AP/SP: You could not gently caress up. It was impossible, you could simply gain more AP at a reasonable clip and gain the skills you needed if you didn't like what you bought.

Well, here, if you screw up you're stuck with it because AP/SP gain slows.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jun 27, 2017

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

kayakyakr posted:

At level 1, it's 2500 xp per 1 AP / 2 SP. At 50 it is 25000 (or maybe 30, it's hard to tell because they don't really show it st 50). Lvl 50 in carp fangs only give around 9k on average. So 3 quests per 1 AP / 2 SP. It's like 155 AP for all skills (since you get 1 5 AP skill for free.... or at least you do with legacy transfer). You get about 320 AP from 1 to 50. So 7 unfinished weapons at 50 which is 1085 AP or around 3300 quests. If you just do dailes, that's about 12ish quests. So slightly less than 300 days of dailies.

There around 700 SP in the trees so 600 days of dailies.

Panoptic core adds an addition 400 AP to each tree which also takes you to around 600 days.

So about 6600 quests or 600 days of dailies to actives and passives. Considering you could max in TSW in a month, that's pretty extreme.

You will realistically probably get more AP from trading marks for Aurum and Aurum for AP/SP than from xp at 50.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Hrm, so this seems different and counterintuitive to me.

I'm still supposed to use two weapons, but I can't have more than one basic ability equipped at a time? So if I'm hammer/blade, I can either have Flowing Blade equipped so I can use my sword even if I'm out of blade energy, or I can have Smash equipped so I can hit something with my hammer even if I'm out hammer energy, but I can't have both equipped, which means I have no way to attack with one of my two weapons once I run out of energy with that weapon.

Am I missing something? Coming from TSW where you can build energy for both weapons with one attack, that seems backwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

The problem with that, is that the economic slowdown is inevitable.

There will quickly come a point where a few weapon suffixes are king and everything else is vendor trash. This would be acceptable if anima shards and marks were the same currency, so that selling something gets you a small bit of marks, but...

Like, it used to be that a good roll on Shambala would net you a signet worth millions of pax with some regularity. The equivalent won't really happen here I don't think.