Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

General Olloth posted:

The lychguard models are rad.

Ignore the dirty cheap plastic outdoor table, there was blinding sun (any sun) in Seattle yesterday and I braved the heat for a minute to take a nice natural light photo.

All the Necron infantry models are excellent. I really love the plastic overlord doing his dramatic pose with the scythe and orb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Hamshot posted:

Dark Angels: great terminators and skimmers (though these aren't green), stylin' robes, catholic-esque secrets. Disadvantage: Will be called out as actually being chaos marines an annoying amount.

Raptors: the Practical Marines, use camo. Could apply complex weathering techniques from tank miniature painters to great effect. Disadvantage: The 40k universe is so flavourful because nobody is practical though, making them a little dull.

Salamanders: Super nice guys. Lots of fire, scales are easy to sculpt with green stuff. Disadvantage: "Oh, this chapter of black guys? They're not actually black, perish the thought! No, they're black because of a...a flaw in their geneseed. Yeah. Don't worry your little aryan head about it, these guys are white on the inside."

To be perfectly honest, I find a chapter full of pitch-black drow dudes from a lava planet less potentially offensive than a chapter full of African-American dudes with no reason for it. I do wish there was more diversity in 40k but "All the black guys are in one chapter and from one planet"

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Pendent posted:

They do a great job of sitting on an objective and being relatively difficult to remove while being just annoying enough that my opponent wants to do so. They're cheaper than Tac Marines for an equivalent number of wounds and less vulnerable to assault than sniper scouts while also not being nearly as ugly as those old scout kits. I have the rest of my army for actual killing, I just need something cheap and tough to stay at home and score points.

Yeah, that's fair. I do use sniper scouts for that but they definitely get sweeped in an assault. But then, intercessors aren't that awesome at an assault either, just not outright terrible like scouts.

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost

chutche2 posted:

Also, adding more people to my ignore list.

You know, the occasional mea cupola would go a long way towards how folks treat you.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

All the Necron infantry models are excellent. I really love the plastic overlord doing his dramatic pose with the scythe and orb.

The warriors kinda irritate me just because of two things:
The heads have a really stupid spot on the sprue (Attach to the inside curve of the cheeks) and the two gun halves do not line up the little radiator lines, there is pretty much no way to fix it.

Otherwise yeah everything looks great.

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

General Olloth posted:

The lychguard models are rad.

Ignore the dirty cheap plastic outdoor table, there was blinding sun (any sun) in Seattle yesterday and I braved the heat for a minute to take a nice natural light photo.

This is great work, I really like it

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

JoshTheStampede posted:

To be perfectly honest, I find a chapter full of pitch-black drow dudes from a lava planet less potentially offensive than a chapter full of African-American dudes with no reason for it. I do wish there was more diversity in 40k but "All the black guys are in one chapter and from one planet"

While true, I feel the right way to deal with it would've been "Salamanders have some white guys, and other chapters have some black guys" rather than "They're mutants."

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Hamshot posted:

While true, I feel the right way to deal with it would've been "Salamanders have some white guys, and other chapters have some black guys" rather than "They're mutants."

Y'see, that's smart and generally white middle-aged nerds go for the absolute dumbest option.

Wasn't it Nick Kyme who kicked off all this "They're not Black, they're black"nonsence? He deserves a swirly for it.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Getting Primaris into assault against anything intended for close combat seems like a terrible idea to me. They are no more effective than a regular 10 man tactical squad, and being only 5 guys means they can be surrounded and locked.

At least the flying dudes can escape and shoot the following turn.

That's true. I meant more getting them through turn 1 of the assault so you can disengage, not intentionally getting into the mix.

The Inceptors can't charge after falling back, right? Only shoot? I know there are rules for keywords like Fly, but I can't find them in the previous rulebook leak.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Zuul the Cat posted:

I've always liked Salamanders because they're the only force in 40k that actually gives a poo poo about the populace. (I guess SW do too.)

Also Raven Guard. They're famed in-story for going behind enemy lines to rescue civilians and Imperial Guard forces that had been written off by the Imperium.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Cythereal posted:

Also Raven Guard. They're famed in-story for going behind enemy lines to rescue civilians and Imperial Guard forces that had been written off by the Imperium.

Oh I didn't know this about them. Almost enough to make up for dumb beak helmets.

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
All this talk of good guy chapters makes me hope the Celestial Lions get specifically called out for getting Primaris reinforcements. :unsmith:

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

The old beaky helmets are actually much bigger than the primaris garbage tiny-tot helms.
Think I'm gonna use them.
Anyone with unwanted unloved beakys PM me.

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.
Honestly, regular Marines have been outperforming the Primaris in a pretty significant way. In order to make them more competitive, I think they're going to need wargear options and a transport that can compete with a Razorback to start replacing them. Right now, even ignoring their lack of transports, their inability to grab wargear options really hamstrings their battlefield role flexibility. Unless future Primaris can take tactically specialized weapon equivalents in the Intercessor squads, I just don't think they're going to be widespread upgrades to conventional Marine lists.

Hellblasters, on the other hand, have been quite good. Their weapons are very good.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Yeah hellblasters look pretty good to me.

In other news, I caved and ordered a Stormraven instead of a land raider. People here have given me really good advice with choosing my army.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Hamshot posted:

All this talk of good guy chapters makes me hope the Celestial Lions get specifically called out for getting Primaris reinforcements. :unsmith:

They're a really cool chapter with an awesome scheme. Also, Scibor makes a whole range of Lion Warriors that you could use for special characters.

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Oh you bastard.

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.
Not the biggest fan of Land Raiders in 8th in general, but the Crusader has a seriously huge volume of fire it can put out...

And TH/SS Terminators can unleash a pretty serious amount of 3-damage attacks. :black101:

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Hamshot posted:

Oh you bastard.

To make it even worse, I can attest to the quality. Scibor makes really great stuff. I bought some of their barbarians for my Frostgrave Warband and their Cthulu Cultists for DnD.

Takes a while to get to you (comes from Poland), but really high quality stuff.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

chutche2 posted:

Yeah hellblasters look pretty good to me.

In other news, I caved and ordered a Stormraven instead of a land raider. People here have given me really good advice with choosing my army.

All given by people you now have on ignore. Twat.

On a more positive note I'm sitting on two full sets of the Death Guard models form DI. Any NA or ideally Canadian goons looking for some?

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

TKIY posted:

All given by people you now have on ignore. Twat.

On a more positive note I'm sitting on two full sets of the Death Guard models form DI. Any NA or ideally Canadian goons looking for some?

So it's fine for others to post that they're putting me on their ignore list, but not for me to post i'm doing the same? How about you go gently caress yourself?

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I don't have anyone on ignore. :shobon:

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

chutche2 posted:

So it's fine for others to post that they're putting me on their ignore list, but not for me to post i'm doing the same? How about you go gently caress yourself?

Hey I thought you were ignoring me. Liar.

Also, have you tried digging... up?

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Safety Factor posted:

I don't have anyone on ignore. :shobon:
The ignore function is cool and good.

jadebullet posted:

That's definitely interesting. Maybe the Hrud? There is also word that Squats were mentioned again as being a race.
Squats got mentioned by name in the 6th ed rulebook's fluff section, but nothing came of it unfortunately.

WhiteWolf123 posted:

Honestly, regular Marines have been outperforming the Primaris in a pretty significant way. In order to make them more competitive, I think they're going to need wargear options and a transport that can compete with a Razorback to start replacing them. Right now, even ignoring their lack of transports, their inability to grab wargear options really hamstrings their battlefield role flexibility. Unless future Primaris can take tactically specialized weapon equivalents in the Intercessor squads, I just don't think they're going to be widespread upgrades to conventional Marine lists.

Hellblasters, on the other hand, have been quite good. Their weapons are very good.
I guarantee Primaris Marines will be getting some more options once they get multpart kits - if nothing else, I bet their sergeants will get some sort of equipment options. I know they're supposed to be more "legion-like" in how they distribute wargear, but even in 30k you can deck out a sergeant with equipment.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I've always wanted to get a Salamanders army, but they have a distinct, unique look fluffwise that isn't represented on the tabletop.

I want scale capes and flames, dammit.

A few unique kits like Blood Angels or Space Wolves get would be awesome, but I'd settle for an upgrade sprue that isn't Forgeworld.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Floppychop posted:

I've always wanted to get a Salamanders army, but they have a distinct, unique look fluffwise that isn't represented on the tabletop.

A few unique kits like Blood Angels or Space Wolves get would be awesome, but I'd settle for an upgrade sprue that isn't Forgeworld.

I'm always surprised GW haven't gone harder into the space marine upgrade sprues. Like, the BA, SW and BT sprues seem pretty drat popular, and upselling addons to the best selling model range they have seem like a sound investment.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Floppychop posted:

The dragon capes from fantasy Dark Elves work well.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

I'm always surprised GW haven't gone harder into the space marine upgrade sprues. Like, the BA, SW and BT sprues seem pretty drat popular, and upselling addons to the best selling model range they have seem like a sound investment.

Same. It's a real bummer, too. When I was talking to my local manager about using 3rd party icons on my dudes and playing on his tables, he said it's fine but not to make a big deal about it, because GW is kinda sensitive about people riding their coattails.

I mentioned I would have loved to buy HG shoulder pads, but the only option at the moment is to individually buy the deathwatch ones.

If they don't jump on what shapeways is doing and create icons that just glue onto the pads, they're foolish.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

Zuul the Cat posted:

Same. It's a real bummer, too. When I was talking to my local manager about using 3rd party icons on my dudes and playing on his tables, he said it's fine but not to make a big deal about it, because GW is kinda sensitive about people riding their coattails.

I mentioned I would have loved to buy HG shoulder pads, but the only option at the moment is to individually buy the deathwatch ones.

If they don't jump on what shapeways is doing and create icons that just glue onto the pads, they're foolish.

What's the difference between this and making them yourself? Is personally sculpted and casted stuff allowed?

Darius099
Dec 18, 2005

Ogion went on a halfmile or so, and said at last, 'To hear, one must be silent'.
So I have a question for the experienced 40k people here. I have read over some of the stuff in the new edition and I am thinking that many of the things I didn't like have been corrected and I now know some people to play with who don't suck, so I'd like to get involved again.

Awhile back, I got a deal on some inexpensive still-in-box stuff for the Necrons. Specifically I have (still in the box):

• Necron Battleforce (20 Necron Warriors 5 Necron Canoptek Scarab Swarms 5 Necron Immortals/Deathmarks 1 Necron Ghost Ark/Doomsday Ark)
  • Triarch Stalker
  • Necron Catacomb Command Barge/Annihilation Barge

I'm also really interested in the Dark Eldar and the Adeptus Mechanicus.

So I guess my questions are (for each of these three factions):

• Is there anything that I MUST HAVE?
  • Is there anything I should ABSOLUTELY AVOID?
  • Is there anything I should know about playing each of these three factions? Play styles, what is cool or unique about them, what to expect, etc? (Obviously I've read the lore and official pages and entries for them, I'm looking more for the perspective from players)

I appreciate any advice and guidance, I only played many years ago, and when I did I played Imperial Guard Catachans (back when Sly Marbo popped up out of the ground like the goddamned Kool-Aid Man) so I don't have much frame of reference.

Darius099 fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jun 26, 2017

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

General Olloth posted:

What's the difference between this and making them yourself? Is personally sculpted and casted stuff allowed?

I imagine the problem would be money changing hands over stuff using their IP. So sculpting your own is fine, selling them to someone else is verboten.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

General Olloth posted:

Yeah. Personal stuff is fine, but I guess if you pay a company it's different. Unfortunately, GW isn't as clear as I'd like them to be on this.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

Darius099 posted:

So I have a question for the experienced 40k people here. I have read over some of the stuff in the new edition and I am thinking that many of the things I didn't like have been corrected and I now know some people to play with who don't suck, so I'd like to get involved again.

Awhile back, I got a deal on some inexpensive still-in-box stuff for the Necrons. Specifically I have (still in the box):

• Necron Battleforce (20 Necron Warriors 5 Necron Canoptek Scarab Swarms 5 Necron Immortals/Deathmarks 1 Necron Ghost Ark/Doomsday Ark)
  • Triarch Stalker
  • Necron Catacomb Command Barge/Annihilation Barge

I'm also really interested in the Dark Eldar and the Adeptus Mechanicus.

So I guess my questions are (for each of these three factions):

• Is there anything that I MUST HAVE?
  • Is there anything I should ABSOLUTELY AVOID?
  • Is there anything I should know about playing each of these three factions? Play styles, what is cool or unique about them, what to expect, etc?

I appreciate any advice and guidance, I only played many years ago, and when I did I played Imperial Guard Catachans (back when Sly Marbo popped up out of the ground like the goddamned Kool-Aid Man) so I don't have much frame of reference.

If you play the necrons, I would add another box of immortals and do 10 immortals and 20 warriors. Reanimation protocols is at its best when you have a max-sized unit. You can magnetize the annihilation/command barge if you really want, but I think you might be OK in 8th just building the annihilation barge and the overlord.

You might want to chop up the overlord and call him a cryptek, because crypteks are nearly mandatory. Otherwise, you can use him to buff the Tesla weapons on the immortals to get 3 shots on 5s and 6s instead of just 6s.

The ghost ark and doomsday ark both seem to be really good, so you can do what you want with that. Some people magnetize it in ghost-ark mode and then put the cannon in the top instead of underneath, but it seemed like a huge pain in the rear end to me putting in the 10 infantry magnets. However, really make sure you follow the instructions on it. You want to glue two rib halfs together, and let that dry for a couple hours. Then, when you glue rib halfs together, you can use the first one that is very dry and solid as a guide. You can twist on each rib you make and hold while it dries so that it lines up, without glueing the actual ribs together. This will get you a set of ribs that line up perfectly, while leaving them unglued from each other for painting. Make sure you paint all the subassemblies before you finish the model, and definitely keep the contact points at critical parts (where the main cylinder channel of ribs and body glue together) free from paint. You can just scrape it at the end.

If you do that, you shouldn't have any issues gluing it together at the end and it will all line up nice. It's a relatively labor intensive model but if you go in with a plan it won't necessarily frustrate you.

I haven't run the stalker yet. Overall 8th mostly lets you play whatever looks cool so far. I've found a way to use just about everything. Max squad sizes on necron infantry are one of the few exceptions to this.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

I imagine the problem would be money changing hands over stuff using their IP. So sculpting your own is fine, selling them to someone else is verboten.

Zuul the Cat posted:

Yeah. Personal stuff is fine, but I guess if you pay a company it's different. Unfortunately, GW isn't as clear as I'd like them to be on this.

My point is kinda that how are they gonna know.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

General Olloth posted:

My point is kinda that how are they gonna know.

Right, once its painted you can just say "I sculpted and cast these out of greenstuff myself. "

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Make sure you say GreenStuff too. That was a technicality that allowed an entirely hand sculpted Tzeentch army compete in the 2001 or 2 Golden Daemon. Even got a two page splash in White Dwarf.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, that's always an option. Certainly so for playing on tables in GW stores, but for entering into competitions and stuff I wouldn't feel right claiming credit for something I didn't do.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

The Bee posted:

That's true. I meant more getting them through turn 1 of the assault so you can disengage, not intentionally getting into the mix.

The Inceptors can't charge after falling back, right? Only shoot? I know there are rules for keywords like Fly, but I can't find them in the previous rulebook leak.

Yeah they can only shoot after falling back. All Flyers have that ability, plus they can ignore models that surround them since Flyers Give No Fucks. The big problem is that an Inceptor is 75 points per model yet only have 2 wounds at T5 and a 3+. IMO what makes Inceptors nasty is their significant damage output coupled with their maneuverability. On average an Inceptor squad is going to be killing 10 orks every round (24 shots, 16 hits, 10 wounds), so if you can maintain that 18" range while doing so it provides a reasonable chance of avoiding getting charged. In other words you're paying 225 points to kite a unit.

WhiteWolf123 posted:

Primaris marines strike me as the fluffy, easy-access army that is designed to teach new players how to play and paint but really struggle to exploit the mechanics of 8th edition. They lack the punch to take on heavy-hitting opponents like Land Raiders or Battlewagons and they lack the firepower to take on hordes like Guard, Gaunts, or Orks. Obviously a big part of this is their lack of options and it will be interesting to see what the new releases bring to the table, but I guess they really are meant to work with the fluff of being SM killers.

I haven't played against them yet, but I'm getting them soon and my goal is to use them as my "gently caress it I want to paint something quick" break from the never-ending slog of painting ork boyz that is currently my life. I don't expect them to do well, but I think it should be a fun way to get some casual games in. Also I'm hoping to run into a few super-spergs who get all pissy that the Marines Malevolent got Primaris Marines. I'll just say they intercepted a shipment intended for the Lamenters.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

It also helps that the Primaris half of Dark Imperium is basically a 1k army straight out of the box. I can see a lot of people having a small army of Primaris just for loving around with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

muggins posted:

I quickly painted this dude for our first 50pl games

Also those scout guys look like they're wearing space marine high heels lol

Also our club put up two new battle reports, my first games

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15G-7_u_Ouo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCQ74qW4U40

I love the red/green contrast. Too much blue/orange in the world. (Now back to painting my guys blue and orange...)