Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Thanks Diane. By doing that you killed no less than 200,000 people. Typical Hack Snyder grimdark murderverse bullshit!

Maybe those rusted, antiquated gears in Hollywood executives is slowly starting to grind forward to compute "a woman in a starring action summer blockbuster makes money. more women in good summer action summer blockbuster... good??????"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

lmao

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

It's OK Superman. Your solo outing is still the better movie.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yaws posted:

It's OK Superman. Your solo outing is still the better movie.
That's almost as funny as the gif!

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
profit dickwaving is the worst, most boring conversation even before you get into all the lovely opinions and hot takes it invites

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
well okay maybe not the single worst, at least it's not merchandise chat

Pachakuti
Jun 25, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Reshoots chat < merchandise chat < profit chat.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Wonder Woman tapped into the elusive Marvel crowd AKA dullards.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

It's ok, you can like Wonder Woman and Man of Steel. Both are great films, and are in my personal top 5 superhero/comic book movies.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Speaking of merch, where are the WW toys? My kids and I were looking and the only thing we found in the store was a WW barbie doll (that came with the steve "ken" doll).

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

I hope there is a director out there that is as passionate about well known Marvel characters Silver Sable and Black Cat

edit: how many nerds are going to argue that "gratuitous butt shots are a part of their character!"

hiddenriverninja fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jun 26, 2017

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

hiddenriverninja posted:

I hope there is a director out there that is as passionate about well known Marvel characters Silver Sable and Black Cat

edit: how many nerds are going to argue that "gratuitous butt shots are a part of their character!"

A woman of color is directing the Silver Sable/Black Cat movie, so hopefully the butt shots are kept to a minimum.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Davros1 posted:

Well, one of the rumors of the Whedon reshoots of JL is to beef up her role in the movie based on the response of WW. Mind you, rumors and all.

On phone right now so I can't link the article but Johns already debunked that on a recent interview with Variety.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

spacetoaster posted:

Speaking of merch, where are the WW toys? My kids and I were looking and the only thing we found in the store was a WW barbie doll (that came with the steve "ken" doll).

Sold out mostly.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

The Chapo Traphouse Crew did a review/critique of WW that I thought was really good. I agree with most of it, but their point about why Jenkins had to set it in WWI was particularly interesting. Worth a listen if you have an hour or so to spare.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
When they do movie reviews the Chapo crew really, really likes doing that thing where you correctly identify some central element of the movie, then claim it's some kind of mistake or accident, and then cite the imagined lack of intent as a flaw. The fact that WW1 was shortly followed by an even worse war wasn't some kind of comical oversight, you guys.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

LMAO

spacetoaster posted:

Try those nerd specialty stores that sell expensive comics statuettes and pop culture t-shirts, they're the only place I've seen actual WW movie action figures. Comic shops and some toy stores might have WW funko pop figures or some leftover BvS Wonder Woman toys.

It's probably easier to order online.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I saw Wonder Woman figures at target, a little bit behind the figure section on its own endcap.

Action figures, barbies, and swords

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Jimbot posted:

Maybe those rusted, antiquated gears in Hollywood executives is slowly starting to grind forward to compute "a woman in a starring action summer blockbuster makes money. more women in good summer action summer blockbuster... good??????"

Hopefully they continue the trend if for no other reason than to prove hollywood right or wrong about women starring in supposed blockbusters (though Cutthroat Island probably had a lot to do with that standard of avoiding it). I'm honestly curious how much "First female solo superhero movie (that people know and care about) since the SH movie renaissance" contributed to the overrall box office, since that was a big reason several people I know went to see it.

Hopefully the new Charlize Theron movie Atomic Blonde does well, it looks loving sweet.

MrJacobs fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Jun 26, 2017

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

MrJacobs posted:

Hopefully they continue the trend if for no other reason than to prove hollywood right or wrong about women starring in supposed blockbusters (though Cutthroat Island probably had a lot to do with that standard of avoiding it). I'm honestly curious how much "First female solo superhero movie (that people know and care about) since the SH movie renaissance" contributed to the overrall box office, since that was a big reason several people I know went to see it.

Hopefully the new Charlize Theron movie Atomic Blonde does well, it looks loving sweet.

Atomic Blonde does look sweet.

Speaking of JL, Bruce over compensates and goes to get a family of his own.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

Gatts posted:

Atomic Blonde does look sweet.

Speaking of JL, Bruce over compensates and goes to get a family of his own.

Literally the plot of the Lego Batman movie. Which is great.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

teagone posted:

It's ok, you can like Wonder Woman and Man of Steel.

It wouldn't make sense not to; Wonder Woman is the same movie, except with more exposition.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I just realized Wonder Woman would be better if she forged her own armor, since you already have the Captain America (hero joining a World War) and Thor (fish out of water mythological god) angles, and if she made her own armor she would have the hat trick with Iron Man parallels.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Guy A. Person posted:

I just realized Wonder Woman would be better if she forged her own armor, since you already have the Captain America (hero joining a World War) and Thor (fish out of water mythological god) angles, and if she made her own armor she would have the hat trick with Iron Man parallels.

The movie does have a super hero* who forges his own armor! He's even a war profiteer like Tony. Wonder Woman kills him.

*Hero in the classical sense, appropriately enough.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Schwarzwald posted:

The movie did have a super hero who forged his own armor!

Wonder Woman kills him.

poo poo and he's also a mustachioed war profiteer who is inventing weapons of mass destruction :stare:

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
None of that is coincidental.

The one point of the film is to apply the form of a standard WWII propaganda narrative onto 'the wrong war' in order to highlight its shortcomings. The bad guy in WWI is capitalism itself, and cannot be easily scapegoated onto 'the nazis'. Ares is not even a war-god (as he himself explains), but a god of imperialism (and a god of truth insofar as he is perfectly aware of what he is doing). His plan to spread both war and peace is exactly as described by Lenin:

"Peaceful alliances prepare the ground for wars, and in their turn grow out of wars; the one conditions the other, producing alternating forms of peaceful and non-peaceful struggle on one and the same basis of imperialist connections and relations within world economics and world politics."

The second point of the film is that, although Diana does have powers of some sort, the Thermiscean mythology is transparently bullshit. We don't see Zeus giving life to clay or whatever, except in an ancient comic book(!).

Nobody seems to have asked why Diana must be kept ignorant in order to 'prevent Ares from finding her'. But the point is that Ares is literally the embodiment of an idea, and he manifests in the same way that Dina grows stronger in relation her self-confidence. The final fight scene follows the same logic as the dream sequence in Man Of Steel, and is rather obviously the externalization of an inner struggle. Compare Diana being wrapped in steel to Superman sinking into the ocean of skulls.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Thats an interesting take. I like the idea of her being wrapped in steel representing her deliberately being kept in the dark. Is there a reason why she pulls her right arm free as she's watching the plane fly away?

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Mr. Apollo posted:

Thats an interesting take. I like the idea of her being wrapped in steel representing her deliberately being kept in the dark. Is there a reason why she pulls her right arm free as she's watching the plane fly away?

Reminiscent of Lady Liberty holding out her torch.

quote:

Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame,
With conquering limbs astride from land to land;
Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand
A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame
Is the imprisoned lightning, and her name
MOTHER OF EXILES. From her beacon-hand
Glows world-wide welcome; her mild eyes command
The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame.

"Keep, ancient lands, your storied pomp!" cries she
With silent lips. "Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Diana, nothing like her brother Ares or the other gods, is the new collosus. :hai:

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Does this mean Diana is also Athena as a new Goddess of War and Wisdom?

Also having seen this movie it is really good and I enjoyed it a whole lot. I agree though that the ending comes across as the weakest part, if only because the rest is so good and the ending is a bit standard, if well done standard.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

I am sure my bf would say that this is my bias for Snyder talking, but after mulling this film over (and seeing it twice) I kinda feel it's very...basic?

I feel it's a fairly straight forward film that follows the superhero/heroes journey template and doesn't really paint outside the lines, if that makes sense.

And that's fine! In fact, that's arguably what the movie sets out to do. This is Wonder Womans first movie outing, this is her version of the first Superman movie, the goal is to get people to know what Wonder Woman is about, introduce her to the public, and make a watchable movie, and what it does it does very well. The action is awesome, they have lots of little character touches that paint a picture of what Diana is about, it's a great looking movie. But in the end, it's still just a movie telling the story of wonder woman, and whose fundemental point seems to be that war is bad, that we sometimes suck but hey we are sometimes cool too.

Contrast with MoS that simultaneously subverts the Superman mythos while still celebrating it,. The opening act alone on krypton is amazing, from the alien culture to the little details of the giger-esque set that reveals the societies subliminated sexuality. The way it portrays the military as ineffectual and ultimately harmful to citizens while invoking 9/11 imagery, yet still portraying the individual people in the military as honorable and good, the way it treats Pa Kent, etc. I can gush on and on, it's really such a great movie that dares to try something new, and has so much going on.

Again, there's a big difference in what MoS and WW where aiming for. MoS was trying to do retell a familiar story while giving it a new twist, while WW was all about establishing the character, and they both did this tremendously well. But I still feel like MoS (and BvS) have so much more to offer than the basic and straightforward WW movie. In this sense, Wonder Woman is the most "marvel" like movie of DC's bunch, and my fear is that its tremendous success will make Warner Bros move away from the more daring format to just make cookie cutter formulaic movies like Marvel are spitting out.

Oh, I am also kinda pissed about the removal of the greek Parthenon from the DCEU. Dianas relationship to the various gods has always been a big part of her character, especially how she relates to Hera and Athena. That they removed this in a stupid attempt to make the myth in the movie more christian like is stupid, and unnecessarily constrains them in future movies. I would have loved to explore the mythical side of DCU with Gods and Godesses, but that doesn't seem likely now.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

McCloud posted:

This is Wonder Womans first movie outing, this is her version of the first Superman movie, the goal is to get people to know what Wonder Woman is about, introduce her to the public, and make a watchable movie, and what it does it does very well.

Part of my disappointment with this is that the version of Wonder Woman that it gets people to know about is, as you say, basic. For a character written as propaganda for a new type of woman, and a character associated with particular ideas about bondage and submission, she basically ends up as a female Superman who flies a little bit less.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The actually distinct version of WW is too real for Hollywood so she pretty much has to be Xena. I fear Black Panther, great cast aside, will be utterly basic as well. The world's not ready for a militant radical black superhero (as opposed to a stoic monarch), just like they're not ready for the femdom superheroine.

Pachakuti
Jun 25, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo
Pretty much every time Wonder Woman has interacted with Hellenic mythology after Marston died it's been some really lazy poo poo. Like, Wonder Woman fights and kills Medusa, and for what reason? Nothing coherent thematically, just the need to put her through setpieces from Edith Hamilton. One of the really good parts of this movie is that it ditches a lot of the extremely dire cruft that's built up around the character over the last 70 years.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Yeah, I'm not surprised it's where they ended up. If people can't handle a Superman who thinks that, maybe, America isn't already great, they sure as poo poo aren't ready for Wonder Woman or, as you say, Black Panther.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Superman's been in cinemas for 76 years now, this is WW's first foray onto the silver screen so you've got to allow audiences a little time to catch up. :v:

Fun fact: Wonder Woman's first TV appearance wasn't the 1975 live action series or even the 1973 Super Friends cartoon, it was this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ju9FhgGRgc

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jun 27, 2017

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

they're not ready for the femdom superheroine.

What are you talking about? WW was dominant as gently caress in this movie.

I think a lot of people aren't that familiar with WW.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

spacetoaster posted:

WW was dominant as gently caress in this movie.

She was "dominant" in the ordinary dictionary definition of the word, not what people mean by "femdom."

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
That lasso definitely should have seen more action.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Glagha posted:

So having just seen this, am I alone in thinking that a lot of the final fight scene was baaaaad? Like, I thought it was pretty decent all the way through but the climax seemed like the weakest part of the movie.
It's always bad when the good guys and bad guys take turns punching each other and claiming the upper hand and making declarative statements about who they are and what they're about

This film is way better when Diana is just kicking rear end like an actual god

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Well Ares is also an actual god

• Locked thread