Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

hobbesmaster posted:

Fey union seems to be a "stop doing anything at all" button half the time.

Yes, if it activates but then the tank moves slightly out of range then Eos/Selene will just sit there doing absolutely nothing. I'm not sure if it still drains bar, but it's bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Fister Roboto posted:

If you hard cast your dots on one target and bane onto a second, you're getting 630 and 504 respectively, assuming the dots get their full duration. Hard casting the dots again would only be worth 126 more potency for two GCDs compared to 460 from two Broil IIs. It's only actually worth it on the 5th and beyond target, but then the problem is figuring out which ones those are.

Basically you still want to bane for AOE no matter what.

I wish bane had its own dot or some kind of indicator so I could at least look for the mob with the weakest dots and work backwards up the chain after a bane if I have open GCDs. It'd be a big qol for both sch and smn.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

ARR MSQ question:

Pipin is the adopted sun of Raubahn, correct? Also did they change the VAs for a lot of the characters because Alphinaud's voice changed as I started the Heavensward MSQ.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

As much as I like scholar healing, I'm tempted to level up AST once I finish SAM and PLD. The sun thing looks cool and, yeah, they actually do damage. I just need to diversify what I can do before I go leveling within the same role again.

I'm leveling AST right now, it's at 67. I've never really been one for healing (I enjoyed leveling WHM and AST like two years ago but never did anything at cap with them), but AST is a real treat. It can be frustrating to draw Spire-into-Spear four times in a row, but I feel so busy and it's nice. I posted a few days ago about how I felt like I had already mastered 90% of RDM's stuff within two days, and that definitely isn't the case for AST. Every time I finish a dungeon or even just a boss fight I think "well that went okay, but I can definitely do a lot better", and that's a great feeling for me. It gives me something to work toward since I'll be grinding this content for weeks.

AST is cool.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
fey union is admittedly clunky in trash pulls, continuing the theme of sch's dungeon performance being a complete dumpster fire that dramatically needs buffs, but it's fine in a raid setting. tanks tend to hold the boss steady anyways because the melees will whine endlessly if they don't, and you generally know ahead of time when you have to use fey union (in current content: susano's sword phase / the bits of lakshmi ex where you need to run out to mars while the tank eats a buster / any situation in which the other healer is down, the tank is taking damage, and you don't have swiftcast)

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Vargatron posted:

ARR MSQ question:

Pipin is the adopted sun of Raubahn, correct? Also did they change the VAs for a lot of the characters because Alphinaud's voice changed as I started the Heavensward MSQ.

Correct on the first thing. And they changed VA studios between ARR and HW, yes.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

ApplesandOranges posted:

Shisui is one of my favourite sets.

(I play a male Roe, I may or may not be biased.)

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Countblanc posted:

4.0 SCH and 3.0 AST aren't really comparable - AST simply did not have the healing throughput necessary to do the hardest content. Current SCH definitely does, it's just like Reiter said though, they make EXDR (and quite possibly future difficult 4-man content like Deep Dungeon) more challenging/slower by virtue of dealing notably less damage. Everyone I talk to who tanks dungeons regularly says it's a pretty notable difference, having a SCH versus either other healer. They still clear but it's slower and less fun. Plus any personal feelings about the job not being fun to play anymore but I can't comment on that.

Does anyone have a breakdown on BLM's opener/rotation, both for single target and AoE? I'm leveling it along with some friends and after taking it for a spin in Sirensong Sea I can tell my old habits aren't going to cut it.

We beat gordias with an AST. They were absolutely usable from 3.0 on.

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared

Gumball Gumption posted:

I'm turning around on WAR. It needs more generators and needs to lose the gauge loss I stance swap but I'm starting to enjoy the rotation. I do wish that it felt like it could be a main tank and an off tank. Right now it feels like it was entirely built to be an off tank.

There's no denying that WAR took a big hit, but it really isn't as bad as people think. It's still fully functional as a tank.

-Even with the tank damage nerfs and the Berserk nerf in general, the Beast Gauge system still upgrades the original Berserk combo with a 4th Fell Cleave, so the combo's damage is in line with what it was. This is without counting the Inner Release combo that hits even harder.
-It has four defensive cooldowns (Thrill of Battle, Vengeance, Raw Intuition, Inner Beast) not including role actions (Rampart, Awareness, Convalescence).
-Onslaught is more usable than you think; it's an enmity generator, it's a gap closer, and if you're doing your rotations between Berserk right you'll have the Gauge to spend on it. Its only huge shortcoming is that it shares Gauge use with Upheaval, making you choose between the two.
-For trash pulls, Steel Cyclone is your friend.
-If you have a co-tank, tell them to bring Shirk if they're being a dumbstupid and don't have it on.
-You don't need to stance dance, you can just drop a massive enmity combo in Defiance and then switch to Deliverance afterwards. You'd be surprised how long the aggro lasts for.

What I do as WAR if I have to MT is start by generating a fuckton of aggro with Defiance/Berserk/Unchained, then spend the rest of the fight in Deliverance if possible. Here's my opener, tell me if it sucks: http://ffxivrotations.com/re9
<there would be an image of it here but puush is currently making GBS threads itself>

I tested an unoptimized version of this with a SAM buddy that I told to go full ham and not use Diversion, and they still had a hard time pulling hate until my 4th Berserk combo in.

SL the Pyro fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jun 26, 2017

Kaebora
Jul 12, 2006

Be careful of forgetfulness. Your lucky color is...blue?

Countblanc posted:

Does anyone have a breakdown on BLM's opener/rotation, both for single target and AoE? I'm leveling it along with some friends and after taking it for a spin in Sirensong Sea I can tell my old habits aren't going to cut it.

I have no idea if this is ~optimal~, but for single target, I go with Blizz 3, Enochian, Blizz 4, Leylines, Thunder 3, Sharpcast, Wait for full mp, Fire 3, Fire 4 x3, Fire, Fire 4 x 3, Firestarter + convert, Fire 4 x 2, Blizz 3, Blizz 4, Thunder 3, repeat. Ideally, you are casting foul in ice at 70. If you start the fire cycle at not-full MP, you end up with 0 MP after your fifth? fire 4, so you have to transpose.

For AoE, once you have the level 68 trait, I go Blizz 3, Blizz 4, Fire 3, Flare, Thunder 4, Flare, Transpose, repeat from Blizz 4. Stick a foul in between the Flares if you're 70. Before 68, just Fire 4 at 3 mobs, and use the old aoe rotation at 4+, sprinkling in sharpcast+thunder 2/4 as appropriate.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Reiterpallasch posted:

fey union is admittedly clunky in trash pulls, continuing the theme of sch's dungeon performance being a complete dumpster fire that dramatically needs buffs, but it's fine in a raid setting. tanks tend to hold the boss steady anyways because the melees will whine endlessly if they don't, and you generally know ahead of them when you have to use fey union (in current content: susano's sword phase / the bits of lakshmi ex where you need to run out to mars while the tank eats a buster / any situation in which the other healer is down, the tank is taking damage, and you don't have swiftcast)

I don't have a whole lot of problems with fey union breaking, but I'm in the habit of placing eos by the tank so that I can move in and out of aoes and don't make eos lose cast time on embrace. AoEs tend to ignore her, so I've never had her die unless I forget to hit heel. It does depend on the fight, though, because sometimes you want eos to be nearby.

The biggest issue SCH has right now, by far, is bane being poo poo and not being able to push out aoe damage like the other healers.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Countblanc posted:

4.0 SCH and 3.0 AST aren't really comparable - AST simply did not have the healing throughput necessary to do the hardest content.

Hmmmm.... factually wrong.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Kaebora posted:

For AoE, once you have the level 68 trait, I go Blizz 3, Blizz 4, Fire 3, Flare, Thunder 4, Flare, Transpose, repeat from Blizz 4. Stick a foul in between the Flares if you're 70. Before 68, just Fire 4 at 3 mobs, and use the old aoe rotation at 4+, sprinkling in sharpcast+thunder 2/4 as appropriate.

So is Fire 2 just not used at all at level 68+? Huh.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

I don't have a whole lot of problems with fey union breaking, but I'm in the habit of placing eos by the tank so that I can move in and out of aoes and don't make eos lose cast time on embrace. AoEs tend to ignore her, so I've never had her die unless I forget to hit heel. It does depend on the fight, though, because sometimes you want eos to be nearby.

The biggest issue SCH has right now, by far, is bane being poo poo and not being able to push out aoe damage like the other healers.

Except when they don't, which is enough that sitting on the tank is bad. You can usually find a nice center of the room compromise.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Countblanc posted:

Correct on the first thing. And they changed VA studios between ARR and HW, yes.

I figured they skimped a bit on VAs for the 2.0 relaunch since they didn't know how successful the game would have been. Some of the VAs were particularly bad.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
Having spent some more time with WAR at 70 I'd like to state for the record that my problems with it as stated in my previous post still stand, but any meme about it being unusable is hyperbole.

At worst, it's really just not very fun to play. Even getting used to the "rotation" it just feels like constant stalling for the next Berserk/Inner Release and tiptoeing around my Beast Gauge to make sure I don't use it incorrectly leading up to that window out of habit. Beast gauge feels more like something you have to babysit rather than an asset or a resource, even though tit for tat it's better than stance stacks. This stems from the fact that you need, at minimum, like 11 GCDs to max out the gauge, meaning you'll spend almost 30 seconds every minute waiting for Berserk instead of using your gauge, and that's without the fight doing it's best to get in your way.

The tanking portion is just a carousel of cooldowns, it works perfectly fine. I've had no greater issue tanking any of the content so far than my paladin co-tank.

Things like swapping stances and charge costing gauge, Inner Release being stuck to Unchained and hidden inside Deliverance, Shake It Off being completely useless, and Overpower being awkward to use on initial pulls. All of these are still things that should really be looked at from a perspective of fun, almost entirely independent of the consideration of balance.

I will still play and main Warrior, and do just fine, but even so there are issues with the actual gameplay, it doesn't feel fluid or fun at the moment.

Solanumai fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jun 26, 2017

Wonder Turbine
Sep 22, 2011

Vargatron posted:

I figured they skimped a bit on VAs for the 2.0 relaunch since they didn't know how successful the game would have been. Some of the VAs were particularly bad.

I don't know about that, it couldn't have been cheap getting the Travelocity gnome to voice Papalymo.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Vargatron posted:

I thought it was just a location thing that prompted the switch.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
Didn't they move to a non-US based voiceover studio? Could it have had something to do with the SAG issues that have cropped up lately?

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

SL the Pyro posted:

What I do as WAR if I have to MT is start by generating a fuckton of aggro with Defiance/Berserk/Unchained, then spend the rest of the fight in Deliverance if possible. Here's my opener, tell me if it sucks: http://ffxivrotations.com/re5

I tested an unoptimized version of this with a SAM buddy that I told to go full ham and not use Diversion, and they still had a hard time pulling hate until my 4th Berserk combo in.

This feels like it's probably overkill enmity if your co-tank has shirk, but I haven't really played with good DPS so maybe it isn't. There are a few tweaks you could make though. Tomahawk has higher enmity and damage than Overpower now, so there's no need to use OP in single target situations. You should also move Unchained after the Steel Cyclone, since SC is unaffected by Unchained. Also Block over Path on the last combo gives you a bit more damage and enmity and zeros out your beast gauge before you swap.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

The original VA for urianger was Gideon emery, I feel like he's famous enough to not be cheap

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Shere posted:

Didn't they move to a non-US based voiceover studio?

As everyone from Ala Mhigo appears to be from Yorkshire, I would say so.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

nuru posted:

Except when they don't, which is enough that sitting on the tank is bad. You can usually find a nice center of the room compromise.

I don't put her on the tank, I put her by the tank. There's a big difference, and given I don't have problems with her dying all the time I feel like it's obvious that's what I meant. "By the tank" tends to mean either just behind the trash or to the side of both so cones and cleaves don't hit her but she's close enough to not have to ever move.

Eos dies to me forgetting she's placed and not hitting heel more than anything else.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Truth Quark posted:

So the Shisui tanking set is certainly... a thing.

It protects all the important things at least.

I did a duty roulette this morning. The tank was a catgirl with a Japanese name wearing that set, and also in the party in the same guild was a dragon-girl in an almost identical bikini set also with a Japanese name and the same last name.

Still scratching my head over multiboxer or just people being weird.

macfam
Dec 22, 2012
Wait SCH should have the original bane and SMN should keep the nerfed version? The dps should have the less damaging move? Also how many enemies do you need to be hitting with tri-bind for it to be a dps gain? You should still use ruin IV whenever it is available even against multiple enemies right?

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Countblanc posted:

So is Fire 2 just not used at all at level 68+? Huh.

only on 4+ targets is it better than fire IV.

Kaebora posted:

is it not worth tossing out 2 fire IV or 2 Fire II after you fire 3 to use the first 2 umbral hearts before you flare? Or is it better potency to just go right into the flares?

queeb fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jun 26, 2017

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
Still miss old Merlwyb. I'm used to the new va but she doesn't sound like she just got done smoking a whole box of cigars after getting back from the gym (she works out by shooting people) anymore

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
I like Red Mage. It's fun.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

macfam posted:

Wait SCH should have the original bane and SMN should keep the nerfed version? The dps should have the less damaging move? Also how many enemies do you need to be hitting with tri-bind for it to be a dps gain? You should still use ruin IV whenever it is available even against multiple enemies right?

SCH has lower-level DoTs and no other AoE options. Of the two who should get a stronger Bane it's Scholar because of how their moveset is designed. While DPSes should have the most damage that doesn't always translate to "most damaging move" because their have moves that synergize for greater sustained damage. (Thus the DP*S* part.)

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe

Avenging_Mikon posted:

I like Red Mage. It's fun.

Pussy Cartel
Jun 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I really love RDM, but I can't shake the feeling that my DPS is kinda poo poo. Doesn't help that I played SMN and BLM up until now.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pussy Cartel posted:

I really love RDM, but I can't shake the feeling that my DPS is kinda poo poo. Doesn't help that I played SMN and BLM up until now.

From what people have said their floor DPS is one of the highest but their ceiling DPS is like 4th or 5th. On the other hand it's not like that'll matter too much right now and they can save bad runs with their revives.

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~
I just want to say that Red Mage is cool and good and legit one of the best and funniest classes I've ever played in any mmo ever.
If you haven't already, you should definitely try out red mage.
Namaste.

Also, if there's goon presence on Balmung, add C'anha Tia. Just reached 70, and I'm down for roulettes and stuff.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Pussy Cartel posted:

RDM is currently the lowest-parsing caster DPS, but it's a much tighter category than melee DPS, and still above both ranged physical DPS.

e: there also simply isn't a lot of data right now.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Pussy Cartel posted:

ImpAtom posted:

From what people have said their floor DPS is one of the highest but their ceiling DPS is like 4th or 5th. On the other hand it's not like that'll matter too much right now and they can save bad runs with their revives.

Yeah, I'm not expecting to top charts but their utility is still useful.

Pussy Cartel
Jun 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

ImpAtom posted:

I'm totally sticking with RDM from here on out, but that sounds about right. Even when I'm at the top of my game I don't get above 4th in a full party.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Countblanc posted:

They still clear but it's slower and less fun.

Are we back to the old MUH FUN PER HOUR bullshit? (or was it duties per hour? I don't remember.)

I mean, if you're brayfloxing dungeons, sure, maybe, but here's a reminder - back when ilvl90 and Brafylox HM runs were a thing - you didn't really have time to DPS as a healer, you literally just pressed ALL OF THE HEALING BUTTONS so that your tank would not die. The DPS as a healer meme during mass dungeon pulls in EX dungeons only came when you were out-ilvl-ing everything anyway.

These days I can throw out a shadowflare, and if I get precasting right I can Dot-instaDot-Bane Right as Excog trips and I actually have to start pushing the healing buttons, and I haven't out-ilvled content, so hey, I'll take that improvement.

Here's another unpopular opinion: Nerf Red Mage. :smug:

OWLS! fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jun 26, 2017

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

OWLS! posted:

Are we back to the old MUH FUN PER HOUR bullshit? (or was it duties per hour? I don't remember.)

I mean, if you're brayfloxing dungeons, sure, maybe, but here's a reminder - back when ilvl90 and Brafylox HM runs were a thing - you didn't really have time to DPS as a healer, you literally just pressed ALL OF THE HEALING BUTTONS so that your tank would not die. The DPS as a healer meme during mass dungeon pulls in EX dungeons only came when you were out-ilvl-ing everything anyway.

These days I can throw out a shadowflare, and if I get precasting right I can Dot-instaDot-Bane Right as Excog trips and I actually have to start pushing the healing buttons, and I haven't out-ilvled content, so hey, I'll take that improvement.

Here's another unpopular opinion: Nerf Red Mage. :smug:

A WHM outdamages all that by pressing aero3 and assize.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

OWLS! posted:

Are you okay?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

A WHM outdamages all that by pressing aero3 and assize.

The Bane nerf is so dumb when Aero 3 exists.