Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
What is he talking about ..?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

This ...

https://twitter.com/andykleinman/status/879200067625787392

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I don't get it :(

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Cingulate posted:

I don't get it :(

He is calling him ugly

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Henchman of Santa posted:

He is calling him ugly
:(

brothertim
Mar 6, 2013

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

Richard doesn't bother me like a lot of posters but Jared, Guilfoyle and Dinesh are enough to keep my watching by themselves. I would like to see them break new ground next season, though.

Completely agree with you on the bolded part. The back and forth between Dinesh and Gilfoyle is pretty clever most of the time, especially when Dinesh was wearing that chain. I wouldn't be upset, once Silicon Valley ends, to see these two characters again (some kind of spinoff). Richard is ok. I don't hate him, but I don't really care about him either.

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.

Vintersorg posted:

Holy poo poo Gilfoyles loving eyes. :lol:

This legit scared the poo poo out of me when it first came on screen. he looked like a horrible demon

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.
It was like that scene in Fellowship where Bilbo is like AAUGGJGJHH and turns all cgi-monster for a moment. loving freaky

Beller
Apr 9, 2009

Awkward timing considering Veep just hit a big reset button last night too.

The biggest problem with Veep is that it isn't funny.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Beller posted:

The biggest problem with Veep is that it isn't funny.

This is the worst opinion in the history of TVIV

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Vintersorg posted:

Nah, he owns.

:yeah:

Honestly he sounds like he's still in some way affected by that Brain Problem he had during Yogi Bear 3D, psychologically if not physically, and he's a better man for it. His damage gives him a legitimately unique perspective, slightly grating as it is.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

It was a pretty weak burn TBH - but sometimes a king cant always produce gold.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Mike Judge needs to poo poo or get off the pot. I like the comedy of the show but they need to move Pied Piper forward. Four seasons in the bag and they are still courting VC funds. Get back to the part where they have a fancy office while not having a real business model. Then they can move to the next stage, which is outright failure, and the show ends, or they become successful and kill Hooli, and the show ends. This whole "Richard doesn't want to become Gavin Belson" sounds like they are hinting at plot development. That better actually be something. If the next season ends up with Richard crashing and burning and then making a new app again, I don't know.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

This is the worst opinion in the history of TVIV
If worst meant correct, then yes.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Hoping they go with a strong AI storyline next season with Anton harnessing the power of smart devices and being reborn self aware and a new character.

Followed by repeated attempts to fulfill his directive by getting Jin-Yang [sic] to suck it.

Probably a bit too much of a swerve into sci fi..

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

"Veep isn't a spoiler good as the Thick of It" is an okay/acceptable Cool Opinion, but "Veep isn't funny" is objectively wrong. It's funny as hell.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I liked the season.

Sure, they hit the reset button a few times, but I was entertained. :shrug:

Can't wait to see Gavin realize the guru guy lied to him and screwed him over and that all his advice was spiritual bullshit.

And I'm curious what the property laws are if a house's owner is MIA overseas. How long until Erlich is presumed dead and the place is in limbo?

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
They never went anywhere with Gilfoyle's phone data. I guess it was just a joke but it felt like they might do something with it.

I liked the episode right up until the last few minutes. Watching Richard unhinge is moderately interesting, though painful to watch a dude chew out his friends with such animosity. It finally looked like there might be consequences to his actions, but... nope! For the second time in two weeks everyone hates Richard's guts and call him out on his stupid bullshit only to fall in line when it turns out that Richard accidentally won.

I know it won't happen but I hope next season opens with Pied Piper having acquired Hooli and they just skip a season of Richard v Belson Redux.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
This season was funny, I laughed.

Trumps Baby Hands posted:

"Veep isn't a spoiler good as the Thick of It" is an okay/acceptable Cool Opinion, but "Veep isn't funny" is objectively wrong. It's funny as hell.
I'm honestly a bit angry at Veep for not being The Thick of It. It's still good though.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
richards rant outside stanford was a little bit on point though. from the backseat driver spot they criticized him for 3 seasons for not getting his hands dirty, then when he started to do so they all wanted out. but also part of his appeal was that he didnt want to do that poo poo, because its bad. jareds the only good person.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

PostNouveau posted:

I don't know a ton about the Internet of Things, but that seemed like a big stretch.

There were a lot of stretches in this episode. Biggest one for me is that any company of a reasonable size that took a risk on this kind of technology would have backups ready to go. No insurance company in the world is going to risk losing all their data (unless we're talking Bob's Car Insurance, run out of a Uhaul van in Dubuque, Iowa). I've worked with a ton of them and they are extraordinarily sensitive to unplanned outages, downtime, backup-restore procedures, etc.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Shooting Blanks posted:

There were a lot of stretches in this episode. Biggest one for me is that any company of a reasonable size that took a risk on this kind of technology would have backups ready to go. No insurance company in the world is going to risk losing all their data (unless we're talking Bob's Car Insurance, run out of a Uhaul van in Dubuque, Iowa). I've worked with a ton of them and they are extraordinarily sensitive to unplanned outages, downtime, backup-restore procedures, etc.

They might expect that Pied Piper would have backups. If you're going with a third party to store your data, that probably means you aren't able to store it onsite.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
Veep is extremely not funny

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Jesus TJ, tell us how you really feel about leaving the show.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

:iceburn:

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

get that OUT of my face posted:

Jesus TJ, tell us how you really feel about leaving the show.
Sliding into irrelevancy put that dude in a bad mood quick.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Man people are hopping aboard the TJ Miller hate wagon -

https://twitter.com/anthonyjeselnik/status/879420921605349377

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Mortanis posted:

They never went anywhere with Gilfoyle's phone data. I guess it was just a joke but it felt like they might do something with it.

I liked the episode right up until the last few minutes. Watching Richard unhinge is moderately interesting, though painful to watch a dude chew out his friends with such animosity. It finally looked like there might be consequences to his actions, but... nope! For the second time in two weeks everyone hates Richard's guts and call him out on his stupid bullshit only to fall in line when it turns out that Richard accidentally won.

I know it won't happen but I hope next season opens with Pied Piper having acquired Hooli and they just skip a season of Richard v Belson Redux.

I bet they bring back people being pissed at Richard next season. It makes sense to me to end the season with a resolution, and then bring up the other stuff again at the beginning of the next one.

Shooting Blanks posted:

Well, remember that this deal only got struck because Mrs. Melcher vouched for the product and she probably didn't even get to the part where Richard didn't have an backups. They straight-up didn't finish their due-diligence because of bad sex.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Deja loving Vu

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMUFHKSGG5Q

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

PostNouveau posted:

I don't know a ton about the Internet of Things, but that seemed like a big stretch.
Not at all a stretch, minus some of the :techno: about how the update propagated perhaps. IoT stuff can be very insecure and larger devices like the fridge could have sufficient storage to be useful.

anime was right posted:

Veep is extremely not funny
You're extremely not smart

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

mobby_6kl posted:

Not at all a stretch, minus some of the :techno: about how the update propagated perhaps. IoT stuff can be very insecure and larger devices like the fridge could have sufficient storage to be useful.

A smart fridge determining that foreign code is an improvement upon existing behavior and then packaging it up into a firmware update to send to other networked smart fridges does seem like a bit of a stretch to me, especially when presented as a careless mistake made by Gilfoyle. But it gave us the hilarious scenario of "Suck it, Jin-Yang" appearing on every smart fridge in the world so v:shobon:v

Edit: I was curious about the feasibility of the smart fridge thing, so I went back to see exactly what Gilfoyle said:

quote:

Gilfoyle: Jian-Yang's smart fridge must've been self-correcting. In order to fit my "Suck it, Jin-Yang" video onto his fridge, I had to add Pied Piper libraries to the firmware. Other smart fridges must've seen this as an update.

Dinesh: The smart fridges talk to each other and share the newest software.

Gilfoyle: Right. So when we put that data onto Anton, the last thing he did before he died was back himself up onto a huge network of smart fridges. Anton died so we could live.

That sounds a little more possible, if Gilfoyle sent the code changes as a spoofed firmware update that got picked up by other fridges. Still not a good idea to be getting updates from each other instead of a centralized, authoritative source, but the pedant in me is satisfied :downs:

404notfound fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jun 27, 2017

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Veep is good.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I still love "Anton died so we could live." "Like Jesus!" "...gently caress"

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The cat eye reveal was so good. I thought they were just going to do the "now Gilfoyle can't fix the server without his glasses!" thing but of course he has weirdo costume cat eyes.

If only Dinesh knew a few episodes earlier....

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Most IoT things are hilariously unsecure and while it's completely stupid that such a thing could happen, it's in no way out of the realm of possibility.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Medullah posted:

I still love "Anton died so we could live." "Like Jesus!" "...gently caress"

This was my favorite joke of the episode.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

404notfound posted:

That sounds a little more possible, if Gilfoyle sent the code changes as a spoofed firmware update that got picked up by other fridges. Still not a good idea to be getting updates from each other instead of a centralized, authoritative source, but the pedant in me is satisfied :downs:
This is exactly what MS is doing with Windows 10 now, actually. Obviously they have at least a reasonable level of security there but it's definitely a thing, even if it's stretched for TV: https://redmondmag.com/articles/2016/08/16/windows-10-p2p-update-controls.aspx.

Snak posted:

Most IoT things are hilariously unsecure and while it's completely stupid that such a thing could happen, it's in no way out of the realm of possibility.
Can confirm, sadly, since my own IoT device has 0 security and is accessible from the internet :v:

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008
Barring how terrible an idea it would be to design the fridges to accept software installations from each other, why wouldn't the fridge company use the same system to roll back/reformat all of the fridges after 50 customers called in at like 10 AM?

Or failing that, recall their product that's been highjacked with malware and is spamming customers at home with profanity? In other words, the exact same crisis they just escaped.

Speaking of which, why are they even in crisis? Barker was the only one at Hooli that thought the recall was a good idea, and the factory took him hostage 10 hours into it, then got fired.

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

Medullah posted:

Man people are hopping aboard the TJ Miller hate wagon -

https://twitter.com/anthonyjeselnik/status/879420921605349377

Pretty sure they are friends so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Avasculous posted:

Barring how terrible an idea it would be to design the fridges to accept software installations from each other, why wouldn't the fridge company use the same system to roll back/reformat all of the fridges after 50 customers called in at like 10 AM?

Or failing that, recall their product that's been highjacked with malware and is spamming customers at home with profanity? In other words, the exact same crisis they just escaped.

Speaking of which, why are they even in crisis? Barker was the only one at Hooli that thought the recall was a good idea, and the factory took him hostage 10 hours into it, then got fired.

They didn't have the internet this whole time, they don't know about any of that. They didn't even know their network was still up.

They are totally hosed in a few hours if they can't patch out the mime before a rollback.

• Locked thread