Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

hobbesmaster posted:

A WHM outdamages all that by pressing aero3 and assize.

Can't outdamage something if you do no damage :chord:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Responding to the discussion a few pages back, but if there isn't a Bardam's Mettle (Hard) where the bosses are Cirina, Sadu, and Magnai at some point during this expansion I will loving riot

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

As cool as it is to see 900 new quests appear as soon as you get to a quest hub because it gives the impression there's a poo poo tonne of content, I'd much rather they just have a smaller amount that give more EXP each.

100k exp for each sidequest (~lvl62) is kinda pitiful.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

ImpAtom posted:

From what people have said their floor DPS is one of the highest but their ceiling DPS is like 4th or 5th. On the other hand it's not like that'll matter too much right now and they can save bad runs with their revives.

I'm not 70 yet on RDM (I'm going slow, sue me), but RDM feels like it's built around getting that perfect burst to push past something at the right moment. Can anyone tell me if there's a way to improve on this cycle?

at a full gauge, you do corps-a-corpse, enchanted riposte, enchanted zwerchhau, displacement, manification to get back to 90 gauge and reset the timers on corps-a-corps and displacement, use corps-a-corps, enchanted riposte, enchanced zwerchhau, enchanted redoublement, displacement, verflare/verholy
you can also toss in fleche and contre sixte in there if they're not on cool-down.

Sound about optimal?

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

I don't put her on the tank, I put her by the tank. There's a big difference, and given I don't have problems with her dying all the time I feel like it's obvious that's what I meant. "By the tank" tends to mean either just behind the trash or to the side of both so cones and cleaves don't hit her but she's close enough to not have to ever move.

Eos dies to me forgetting she's placed and not hitting heel more than anything else.

I'm very surly over how some cleaves ignore pets, some murder pets, and some just debuff them in unfortunate ways. It's annoying and stupid, especially in a world where we don't even have Sustain anymore.

Josuke Higashikata posted:

As cool as it is to see 900 new quests appear as soon as you get to a quest hub because it gives the impression there's a poo poo tonne of content, I'd much rather they just have a smaller amount that give more EXP each.

100k exp for each sidequest (~lvl62) is kinda pitiful.

It takes a least 5 minutes to do most side quests so you should be killing people in Shatter instead for 4-6x XP gains.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

OWLS! posted:

I mean, if you're brayfloxing dungeons, sure, maybe, but here's a reminder - back when ilvl90 and Brafylox HM runs were a thing - you didn't really have time to DPS as a healer, you literally just pressed ALL OF THE HEALING BUTTONS so that your tank would not die. The DPS as a healer meme during mass dungeon pulls in EX dungeons only came when you were out-ilvl-ing everything anyway.

This isn't even remotely true, a good Brayflox run required a lot of Holy spam. Ironically, scholars weren't quite as good as white mages for that either because they didn't have an AOE stun and Bane only hit five targets.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

cheetah7071 posted:

Responding to the discussion a few pages back, but if there isn't a Bardam's Mettle (Hard) where the bosses are Cirina, Sadu, and Magnai at some point during this expansion I will loving riot

I'm looking forward to Doma Castle (Hard) where you fight through underwater Doma ruins filled with evil ghosts or something. The boss should be Gogo.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

ImpAtom posted:

I'm looking forward to Doma Castle (Hard) where you fight through underwater Doma ruins filled with evil ghosts or something. The boss should be Gogo.

I want that too but I wouldn't be too disappointed if it had to wait for 5.x

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Avenging_Mikon posted:

I'm not 70 yet on RDM (I'm going slow, sue me), but RDM feels like it's built around getting that perfect burst to push past something at the right moment. Can anyone tell me if there's a way to improve on this cycle?

at a full gauge, you do corps-a-corpse, enchanted riposte, enchanted zwerchhau, displacement, manification to get back to 90 gauge and reset the timers on corps-a-corps and displacement, use corps-a-corps, enchanted riposte, enchanced zwerchhau, enchanted redoublement, displacement, verflare/verholy
you can also toss in fleche and contre sixte in there if they're not on cool-down.

Sound about optimal?

I haven't seen many people use Manafication mid-combo like that. I've usually seen it used to get another full combo shortly after your first one (or get your first combo faster). So something like:

Get full 100/100 -> Corps-a-corps -> full Enchanted combo -> Verholy/flare -> cast back up to 40/40 (not hard to do if you started your combo at 100/100) -> Manafication -> full Enchanted combo again -> Displacement -> Verholy/flare

I'm not sure if that's optimal either, but I think it might end up being better than what you listed because you're getting two full combos in a really short amount of time. If you get out at Zwerchhau, you don't get two Redoublements in your double-combo, and Redoublement is your hardest-hitting melee attack. If you instead use Manafication after your first combo, it's a longer period of time than what you posted, but you're getting two Redoublements and two Verholy/flare casts.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jun 26, 2017

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

OWLS! posted:

Here's another unpopular opinion: Nerf Red Mage. :smug:
I think it's inevitable but probably many months away.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

nuru posted:

It takes a least 5 minutes to do most side quests so you should be killing people in Shatter instead for 4-6x XP gains.

If by killing people, you mean getting zoned and just wishing that the two winning teams would give up and just let the inevitable front runners win, yeah.

PVP's still awful, just less so.

The important thing about Manafication is that if you're burning your mana on E.Moulinet, you can throw it out around 40/40 to get an extra couple of spin in which is very fun.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jun 26, 2017

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Fister Roboto posted:

This isn't even remotely true, a good Brayflox run required a lot of Holy spam. Ironically, scholars weren't quite as good as white mages for that either because they didn't have an AOE stun and Bane only hit five targets.

When I did that - I remember Holy only starting to get woven in after people geared up a bit, it wasn't really there at the beginning. But hey, anecdotes.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

I beat extreme Lakshmi a couple times today!
Not exactly as easy as I was led to believe but I had tons of fun and three bliss totems, need two more.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Actually, assuming that the dungeon on odd-numbered patches is original and the ones one even-numbered patches are one original, one HM, we're only getting two hard mode dungeons the entire expansion

That kinda sucks, I like HM dungeons.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Josuke Higashikata posted:

If by killing people, you mean getting zoned and just wishing that the two winning teams would give up and just let the inevitable front runners win, yeah.

PVP's still awful, just less so.

I will play infinite pvp compared to any of the terrible side quests in this game.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I'm pretty sure in the early days of Brayflox runs, Holy was still 300(?) potency with no damage dropoff. If people weren't using it for massive pulls it's because they had no idea what a powerful tool it was.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Harrow posted:

I haven't seen many people use Manafication mid-combo like that. I've usually seen it used to get another full combo shortly after your first one (or get your first combo faster). So something like:

Get full 100/100 -> Corps-a-corps -> full Enchanted combo -> Verholy/flare -> cast back up to 40/40 (not hard to do if you started your combo at 100/100) -> Manafication -> full Enchanted combo again -> Displacement -> Verholy/flare

I'm not sure if that's optimal either, but I think it might end up being better than what you listed because you're getting two full combos in a really short amount of time. If you get out at Zwerchhau, you don't get two Redoublements in your double-combo, and Redoublement is your hardest-hitting melee attack.

That's a good point, really. I'd not looked at it that way, just "cram as much poo poo in ASAP". I'm only 67, no flare/holy yet, so I was theory-crafting. Hitting 2 redoublements and 2 of flare/holy would be likely better.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Sound about optimal?

You're overthinking it. Here's the optimal RDM play pattern as best anyone can tell:

1a) Build to 40/41 (or whatever combination puts you above 40/40, less than 50/50, and has some amount of imbalance)
1b) Weave oGCDs during this, including Corps-a-corps and Displacement
2) Manafication
3) Corps in, do melee combo, Displacement out, Verflare/Verholy based on which mana is lower.
4a) Build to 80/81 (or whatever)
4b) Weave oGCDs while doing this
5) Go do melee combo

then repeat 4-5 until Manafication is available. There's a bit of subtly in when to use Embolden I guess but that's pretty much it.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Sound about optimal?

I only just hit 70 yesterday so I'm still playing around looking for neat tricks, but wouldn't it be more overall damage using two full melee combos and finishers using manaification rather than a shortened combo then full combo off full meter? In the short term, sure, it's more immediate burst, but ERedoublment and the finishers are almost 1000 potency combined and you lose out on them with that short combo. Unless I'm reading what you have totally wrong.

E: do what he said ^

BrightWing fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jun 26, 2017

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

OWLS! posted:

When I did that - I remember Holy only starting to get woven in after people geared up a bit, it wasn't really there at the beginning. But hey, anecdotes.

My memories of Brayflox HM when it was early pretty much align with this. Holy spam was a tad later, cursing DPS for not stacking in for the Cure III when the gob's jumped them making healing a bigger pain than it needed to be was before it.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Rascyc posted:

I think it's inevitable but probably many months away.

Why would they nerf RDM? Though I think it'd be cool if they took some potency out of Jolt/Impact/Stone/Fire and added it to Thunder/Aero as well as the melee combo.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
How much are RDMs being hampered by not dashing back to range if I dragon sight them while they're in for the melee portion of their rotation?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Shy posted:

I beat extreme Lakshmi a couple times today!
Not exactly as easy as I was led to believe but I had tons of fun and three bliss totems, need two more.

Mind if I ask what was giving you trouble?

I'm not trying to be a dick or anything i'm just curious. I actually found Shmiex easier than the regular version because you can nullify SO many of its mechanics that all you really have to do is basic AoE dodging and the gimmick with the adds. (And unsurprisingly any run I've seen fail has been at the adds.) I'm wondering if there's something more I'm missing.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

cheetah7071 posted:

How much are RDMs being hampered by not dashing back to range if I dragon sight them while they're in for the melee portion of their rotation?

It basically means they have to postpone their oGCD 130 backflip a bit. So it isn't IDEAL but a RDM should be standing near melee as often as possible if there's a DRG in the party anyway and the backflip has a 35s cooldown so you can definitely get a full duration Dragon Sight in there.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Ultimately, the kind of changes I'd want in order to really enjoy playing RDM are the sorts of things that aren't going to happen until 5.0 at the earliest. I'd love it if there were options for what to do in melee, for example, like a branching melee combo instead of always going Riposte -> Zwerchhau -> Redoublement, but S-E's not about to add entirely new skills in a patch. I'll definitely be keeping an eye on how the job develops over the long term, though.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

cheetah7071 posted:

The main reason to jump out is that it's an ogcd, so more damage. So a smart RDM could just hang at melee so long as that doesn't effect their casting

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Brainamp posted:

First step, climb the kugane tower.

It's so hard :negative:

There's a part where you have to pop Sprint?!

SonicRulez fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jun 26, 2017

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
the dicey bit of lakshmi ex for me is the third (?) chanchala pattern, the one where she puts down two aoe stack markers that inflict nasty bleeds unless you pop vril, and nobody bothers to pop vril for it in pf

Kaebora
Jul 12, 2006

Be careful of forgetfulness. Your lucky color is...blue?

Countblanc posted:

So is Fire 2 just not used at all at level 68+? Huh.

queeb posted:

only on 4+ targets is it better than fire IV.

is it not worth tossing out 2 fire IV or 2 Fire II after you fire 3 to use the first 2 umbral hearts before you flare? Or is it better potency to just go right into the flares?

I could very easily be wrong in this, but my thought is that, in AoE situations, you want to Flare as often as you can. Blizzard 4 and Fire 3 are 3 second casts, Flare and Thunder 4 are 3 second casts, and Foul is a quick 2.5 second cast - you shouldn't be running into situations where you're sitting in fire with 0 MP waiting on Transpose to come off cooldown. Thunder 4 has the most potency of the 'filler' spells - Fire 2 is 144 potency (80 plus the AF bonus) per target , Fire 4 is 468 (260 + fire bonus) for one target, Thunder 4 is 230 potency per target (if you let the dot tick all the way. Figure roughly 200 potency if it's a 15 second aoe 'cycle').

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Reiterpallasch posted:

the dicey bit of lakshmi ex for me is the third (?) chanchala pattern, the one where she puts down two aoe stack markers that inflict nasty bleeds unless you pop vril, and nobody bothers to pop vril for it in pf

Honestly I think you can reliably beat her just by popping Vril every time she does an attack while in super-darkness mode except maybe the very first pattern. (And since I play a healer you can in fact do it by popping it every attack she does in super darkness mode during that because healers need to in order to prevent the slow/bleed from her targeted AoE.)

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
in the last pattern you'll run out of vril doing that unless you quickly grab one of the orbs that spawn on the outside of the arena during the pattern. you'd think that people would just, you know, stand on the outside of the arena during that pattern but noooooooo

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe

Countblanc posted:

You're overthinking it. Here's the optimal RDM play pattern as best anyone can tell:

1a) Build to 40/41 (or whatever combination puts you above 40/40, less than 50/50, and has some amount of imbalance)
1b) Weave oGCDs during this, including Corps-a-corps and Displacement
2) Manafication
3) Corps in, do melee combo, Displacement out, Verflare/Verholy based on which mana is lower.
4a) Build to 80/81 (or whatever)
4b) Weave oGCDs while doing this
5) Go do melee combo

then repeat 4-5 until Manafication is available. There's a bit of subtly in when to use Embolden I guess but that's pretty much it.

This is the right explanation. Remember that manafication resets the timers on corps-a-corps and displacement so ideally you wanna give the enemy a little tickle with them before getting to 40/41 or whatever, manaficating to double your mana and resetting both timers, then going in for a full melee combo.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

It's also optimal to avoid hitting 100/100 since you get that proc from holy/flare if your mana is imbalanced. But once you hit 100/100 you can't imbalance it again.

E: I guess you could cast a veraero or something after your melee combo but I can't remember if that ruins your ability to cast holy/flare

Endings
Jan 17, 2012

Close your eyes...

BrightWing posted:

The main reason to jump out is that it's an ogcd, so more damage. So a smart RDM could just hang at melee so long as that doesn't effect their casting

Honestly I'll often creep back in during dualcast cooldowns after displaces /anyway/ -- I'd rather have more room to maneuver around conal aoe on many bosses. But yeah the sight benefit is probably better than the single ogcd, so no reason not to just stick around.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

SonicRulez posted:

It's so hard :negative:

There's a part where you have to pop Sprint?!

You don't need Sprint for any part. Towards the top there's some jumps where you want to hug the back edge of the beam so you have the room for a running start to your jump though.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

YoshiOfYellow posted:

You don't need Sprint for any part. Towards the top there's some jumps where you want to hug the back edge of the beam so you have the room for a running start to your jump though.

Sprint makes one jump in particular very easy - the high one about two jumps from the upper balcony. I rarely make that jump if I don't sprint.

I goddamn love climbing that dumb tower.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Ainsley McTree posted:

It's also optimal to avoid hitting 100/100 since you get that proc from holy/flare if your mana is imbalanced. But once you hit 100/100 you can't imbalance it again.

E: I guess you could cast a veraero or something after your melee combo but I can't remember if that ruins your ability to cast holy/flare

I'm not in front of my home computer to test if I'm totally right, but I believe casting any spell breaks your melee combo.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Coughing Hobo posted:

I'm not in front of my home computer to test if I'm totally right, but I believe casting any spell breaks your melee combo.

I meant after the combo is complete. So you'd go Corps-a-corps > Melee combo > displacement > swiftcast veraero (or dualcast it if you don't have swiftcast up) > verflare

Unless verflare/verholy are technically part of the melee combo? I'm not 70 yet so I'm not sure how that works.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ainsley McTree posted:

Yeah I mean if you reallllly want to go into melee imbalanced from 100/100 you could probably do a single riposte then do a jolt and aero but that's really unnecessary, the only thing imbalance does is give you a proc for that type of mana from the right finisher so it's a waste of time.

E not calling anyone in the conversation dumb, just saying that while imbalance is the right thing to do it's not that big of a deal to gently caress it up. Red Mage is really hard to gently caress up in a big way, the only way to be a bad rdm is hitting nothing but one mana type and never using an ogcd.

Jinh fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jun 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Reiterpallasch posted:

in the last pattern you'll run out of vril doing that unless you quickly grab one of the orbs that spawn on the outside of the arena during the pattern. you'd think that people would just, you know, stand on the outside of the arena during that pattern but noooooooo

i like to double dip by grabbing an orb, popping one and grabbing another

I'm not sure it does anything but it feels good.

Also, I'm assuming the correct way to play Warrior in PvP is to Heavy as many people as possible and only go in for melee with a full combo ready?