Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.

SRM posted:

I guarantee Primaris Marines will be getting some more options once they get multpart kits - if nothing else, I bet their sergeants will get some sort of equipment options. I know they're supposed to be more "legion-like" in how they distribute wargear, but even in 30k you can deck out a sergeant with equipment.

Oh, I'm sure they will. I just hope they don't get a transport that's better than a Razorback combined with special weapon options like "two specials per 5 guys AND sergeant options" or something like that. I don't want the Primaris to render the regular Marines obsolete ...or anything close to it.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

WhiteWolf123 posted:

Oh, I'm sure they will. I just hope they don't get a transport that's better than a Razorback combined with special weapon options like "two specials per 5 guys AND sergeant options" or something like that. I don't want the Primaris to render the regular Marines obsolete ...or anything close to it.

It's a hard path to take, trying to make them relevant but also not obsoleting tactical marines.

Inceptors were a better try at that. The closest thing to inceptors would be a bike squad I think, and even then they're different enough to matter. They're very different from assault marines despite the superficial appearance. I don't think intercessors are different enough. Similarly reivers look super different from scouts. Hellblasters are pretty similar to devastators but distinct, since they have rapid fire weapons instead of heavy. But it's hard to not make Intercessors that are either tactical marines but better, or tactical marines but worse because they're generic. Primaris were sold early on as being highly specialized and I don't think intercessors are, which is a problem for them. If they had some other kind of defensive tech than +1W and +6 inches of range it'd be different, they'd be really good objective holders.

chutche2 fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jun 26, 2017

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Yeah, Inceptors being a strafing unit who can say "screw it" and go for mortal wound charge pickoffs gives them a nice niche compared to straight-up assault marines. Hellblasters and Inceptors, meanwhile, just seem like Tall Limited Devastators and Tall Limited Tacticals.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
I have a big pile of marauders I'm trying real hard not to make an ork counts as army with using that reiver head for the war boss.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

WhiteWolf123 posted:

That's why i'm dying to get some more information on the Repulsor. We know it's going to transport Primaris, just not how many or the point cost.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.
I said I'd try to organize it, so here we go:

Let's all go to the DC AREA HAM SLAM!

What: some goons meet at someone's house or a game store and play Warhammer 40,000 for a day. I'm thinking more casual "let's meet up and play games" kind of thing, but if we could get some sides going, we could do a mini campaign.
When: (tentatively) July 15th. Just a suggestion, I have commitments on the 22nd and 29th, but we can do August, too, if people are busy.
Where: Ideally we could do it at someone's house if they have 2-3 tables, but if not [url//=huzzahhobbies.com/wordpress/]Huzzah Hobbies[/url] is a good store and has many tables.

DC/MD/VA Goons: respond here or PM me to let me know if you're interested or have a place to play that's not a store.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Zuul the Cat posted:

That's why i'm dying to get some more information on the Repulsor. We know it's going to transport Primaris, just not how many or the point cost.
I fully expect the repulsor to be an over-priced razorback with some idiot gimmick and a capacity of 6 or 7 biglys.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Safety Factor posted:

I fully expect the repulsor to be an over-priced razorback with some idiot gimmick and a capacity of 6 or 7 biglys.

I expect being a hover tank is the gimmick.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Safety Factor posted:

I'm thinking the same thing. Which i'll be cool with, so long as the actual dollar cost of it is around a razorback. i'd probably need 3 or 4 and don't want them to be $70 a piece.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

The Sex Cannon posted:

What: some goons meet at someone's house or a game store and play Warhammer 40,000 for a day. I'm thinking more casual "let's meet up and play games" kind of thing, but if we could get some sides going, we could do a mini campaign.
When: (tentatively) July 15th. Just a suggestion, I have commitments on the 22nd and 29th, but we can do August, too, if people are busy.
Where: Ideally we could do it at someone's house if they have 2-3 tables, but if not [url//=huzzahhobbies.com/wordpress/]Huzzah Hobbies[/url] is a good store and has many tables.

DC/MD/VA Goons: respond here or PM me to let me know if you're interested or have a place to play that's not a store.

I'm a Metro-bound DC goon, and Dream Wizards in Rockville has a burgeoning new playerbase as well. I know the place has a bad reputation but the players are great and we cleaned repainted the place so it isn't a dingy stinkhole anymore. Wednesday nights is mini gaming night.

If the goonmeet day is somewhere I can get to, I'm interested.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Zuul the Cat posted:

I'm thinking the same thing. Which i'll be cool with, so long as the actual dollar cost of it is around a razorback. i'd probably need 3 or 4 and don't want them to be $70 a piece.

It looks like it's based on a Land Raider hull to me so I'd be shocked if it were below $70. Happy, but shocked.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Zuul the Cat posted:

I'm going to call $90 USD. It's about the size of a Land Raider, with an added turret.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

berzerkmonkey posted:

I'm going to call $90 USD. It's about the size of a Land Raider, with an added turret.

I'm going to say $75, same as a Land Raider and priced to move by GW's standards

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Biglys do feel the right size now at least.
Head swapped and removed seals.

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.

JoshTheStampede posted:

Dream Wizards in Rockville has a burgeoning new playerbase as well. I know the place has a bad reputation

I'll say. I was a manager there.

Edit: (I haven't actually worked there or really been back in like a decade, but I recall the 40k players back in the day to be pretty great guys, so if any of them are back that's a good sign. It was the Magic players that drove me loving nuts.)

vv: I was the one who ordered all the non-GW stuff, lol - including Infinity before they even had a US distributor (CB has me emailing one of their sculptors because he spoke the best English.)... I guess no one picked up the slack.

Sharks Dont Sleep fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jun 26, 2017

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Sharks Dont Sleep posted:

I'll say. I was a manager there.

It was a well-deserved bad reputation, for sure. It used to be a smelly, dark, gross cave with disinterested staff and bad stock on everything except GW. Now it's not smelly, dark, or gross anymore. The staff is still disinterested and their stock on non-GW games is non-existent but the people who play there are all great.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

JoshTheStampede posted:

I'm a Metro-bound DC goon, and Dream Wizards in Rockville has a burgeoning new playerbase as well. I know the place has a bad reputation but the players are great and we cleaned repainted the place so it isn't a dingy stinkhole anymore. Wednesday nights is mini gaming night.

If the goonmeet day is somewhere I can get to, I'm interested.

Worst case scenario if it's not near a metro someone (like me) might be able to pick you up from a stop.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Ok so, having 2 weapons doesn't automatically give you an extra attack. Chainswords do, and LClaws have a special rule that having 2 gives you an extra attack.

But Nemesis Falchions DONT say that, and you can still take 2...what is up there? Is my ebook of the index just missing that callout?

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.

JoshTheStampede posted:

Ok so, having 2 weapons doesn't automatically give you an extra attack. Chainswords do, and LClaws have a special rule that having 2 gives you an extra attack.

But Nemesis Falchions DONT say that, and you can still take 2...what is up there? Is my ebook of the index just missing that callout?

Page 223 in the Index, on the right side under Nemesis Falchion. "If a model is armed with two Nemsis Falchions each time it fights it may make one additonal attack with them."

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Sharks Dont Sleep posted:

Page 223 in the Index, on the right side under Nemesis Falchion. "If a model is armed with two Nemsis Falchions each time it fights it may make one additonal attack with them."

Ok, this must just be an omission from the ebook then. Pg. 223 in my iBooks version is in the Space Wolf section, and none of the areas with Nemesis Falchions have any mention of the additional attack. Thanks, I thought I was going crazy.

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

JoshTheStampede posted:

Ok, this must just be an omission from the ebook then. Pg. 223 in my iBooks version is in the Space Wolf section, and none of the areas with Nemesis Falchions have any mention of the additional attack. Thanks, I thought I was going crazy.

Weird, I just have the pdf. Here's a screencap in case you need it for a match or something. (I assume this is ok to do but if it's an issue, mods, just let me know.)

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

I guess now we know Space Wolves are gonna be seeing a lot more of these guys huh?

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

thesurlyspringKAA posted:

So I'm trying to get my tau army in shape after the uh... rebalancing of many units.

Patrol Detachment:

1 commander: 3x plasma rifles, shield generator, 2 gun drones

1 Coldstar commander: double burst cannon, missile launcher, with advanced targeting and shield generator

10 fire warriors with pulse carbines
1 devilfish: 2 seeker missiles

Battalion detachment:

1 commander: 3x missile pod, ATS, 2 marker drones

1 commander: 3x plasma rifles, shield generator, 2 gun drones

1 ethereal

1 crisis squad: 2 with 2x fusion blaster + shield gen, 1 with 1x fusion and 1x flamer, 4 gun drones
OR
1 crisis squad: 3x burst cannon, 6 gun drones

3 min squads of fire warriors
2 missile pod turrets

2 min squads of pathfinders

1 broadside with railgun and 2x plasma rifles, shield gen, seeker missile, 2 marker drones

There's some flexibility there, but I think I'm gonna need Kroots and hounds running around with how quickly people end up in combat.
I can change around the crisis team loadout for anti marine, horde, or tank, depending on who I'm facing, but everything else will stay about the same.

Bubble wrap suits in drones. I'd say skip the kroot and go stealth. Either a ghostkeel, or stealth suits and shadowsun. Also broadsides are demons, especially with drones to soak up shots.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

JoshTheStampede posted:

Yeah, it's missing from the iBooks version with the smart links too. Just blank where the abilities are.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash

Zaphod42 posted:

I love the red/green contrast. Too much blue/orange in the world. (Now back to painting my guys blue and orange...)

Thanks m8

Dakka posted:

Dislike: the very gamey nature of the core rules. Shady pile in moves and micro management of models placement feels completely at odds with the casual new vibe. Like AoS it's fans call it tactics but I am not a fan of it. 

Does anyone understand this? I've seen this criticism in a few places now

Darius099
Dec 18, 2005

Ogion went on a halfmile or so, and said at last, 'To hear, one must be silent'.

General Olloth posted:

If you play the necrons, I would add another box of immortals and do 10 immortals and 20 warriors. Reanimation protocols is at its best when you have a max-sized unit. You can magnetize the annihilation/command barge if you really want, but I think you might be OK in 8th just building the annihilation barge and the overlord.

You might want to chop up the overlord and call him a cryptek, because crypteks are nearly mandatory. Otherwise, you can use him to buff the Tesla weapons on the immortals to get 3 shots on 5s and 6s instead of just 6s.

The ghost ark and doomsday ark both seem to be really good, so you can do what you want with that. Some people magnetize it in ghost-ark mode and then put the cannon in the top instead of underneath, but it seemed like a huge pain in the rear end to me putting in the 10 infantry magnets. However, really make sure you follow the instructions on it. You want to glue two rib halfs together, and let that dry for a couple hours. Then, when you glue rib halfs together, you can use the first one that is very dry and solid as a guide. You can twist on each rib you make and hold while it dries so that it lines up, without glueing the actual ribs together. This will get you a set of ribs that line up perfectly, while leaving them unglued from each other for painting. Make sure you paint all the subassemblies before you finish the model, and definitely keep the contact points at critical parts (where the main cylinder channel of ribs and body glue together) free from paint. You can just scrape it at the end.

If you do that, you shouldn't have any issues gluing it together at the end and it will all line up nice. It's a relatively labor intensive model but if you go in with a plan it won't necessarily frustrate you.

I haven't run the stalker yet. Overall 8th mostly lets you play whatever looks cool so far. I've found a way to use just about everything. Max squad sizes on necron infantry are one of the few exceptions to this.

Thank you! This is good advice to build off of for the Necron. What are they like to play?

Now I just need some similar info about the Dark Eldar and Adeptus Mechanicus

Galaspar
Aug 20, 2006
Will reign this way again
Sorry if this has been asked before, but why in Papa Nurgle's name does a Lord of Contagion (with his compulsory Plaguereaper) cost more points than Typhus, who is basically the same character with a better weapon and some neat special rules?

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

Darius099 posted:

Thank you! This is good advice to build off of for the Necron. What are they like to play?

Now I just need some similar info about the Dark Eldar and Adeptus Mechanicus

The necrons are tricky so far. You will not survive against dedicated assault, you need to kite. You also need to make sure your squads don't get wiped out, so that they can reanimate. In 7th, you might just march down the map and ignore strategy with your infantry, but you need to actually take cover and hide at times here. They can actually die.

You also are stuck with 2 foot range on almost everything in the army still. (Exceptions are 72" on the doomsday ark, which is nice to get some downrange firing, and 36" on the heavy gauss cannon that you can get on a couple units, including the stalker)

This means you are in that sweet spot where you need to be close for rapid fire but don't want to be assaulted. Positioning is really important. You have to be careful about going for objectives immediately. You should only go for rapid fire range if you are pretty sure you can kill the thing within a foot of you (or if it's not an assault unit of any kind.)

Throw in monolith and/or night scythes for deep striking and teleporting infantry in, and you can shore up this weakness a little bit, just be careful you're not dropping them close to dedicated assault units.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Galaspar posted:

Sorry if this has been asked before, but why in Papa Nurgle's name does a Lord of Contagion (with his compulsory Plaguereaper) cost more points than Typhus, who is basically the same character with a better weapon and some neat special rules?

Gotta shift that old Typhus stock somehow before they resculpt him.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

chutche2 posted:

Gotta shift that old Typhus stock somehow before they resculpt him.

Yeah, and then also the new Typhus stock when they do resculpt him.

I've been letting my buddy just proxy one of his lord of contagions anyway as Typhus. Good enough.

Galaspar
Aug 20, 2006
Will reign this way again
I guess it's just an oversight they'll fix when the DG codex drops. Really hoping there will be a resculpt, too.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
:sun: It's all tallboys by the pool on this special summer Badcast! :sun:
https://40kbadcast.com/2017/06/26/40k-badcast-12-summertime-and-the-hammins-easy/

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Working on a very dumb conversion idea I had. Needs a lot of work, have to reseat the cannon so that it's not slanted and have to do a ton of greenstuffing to get the cables looking like they're connecting to it and to clean up the back of it (I cut off the servo arm and moved it to the back supporting the gun)

chutche2 fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jun 26, 2017

thesurlyspringKAA
Jul 8, 2005

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

Bubble wrap suits in drones. I'd say skip the kroot and go stealth. Either a ghostkeel, or stealth suits and shadowsun. Also broadsides are demons, especially with drones to soak up shots.

More drones and maybe some stealth suits, got it- thanks!

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

SRM posted:

https://40kbadcast.com/2017/06/26/40k-badcast-12-summertime-and-the-hammins-easy/

Sweeeet. :woop: Finished the Brigador Audiobook (which I really recommend) at last on my phone so I can listen to that one tomorrow.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer

The Sex Cannon posted:

Where: Ideally we could do it at someone's house if they have 2-3 tables, but if not Huzzah Hobbies is a good store and has many tables.

Pretty sure I'm into this. I'd offer to host, since I can run 2 4x8 tables in my house, but I live just north of Baltimore and also I'm not sure I want to get murdered in my home by goons. I can be convinced on that second point, but the house isn't going anywhere, so.

I'm out of town the last week in July, but I could do the 15th probably.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

SRM posted:

I could have done with this before I spent 3 solid hours batch painting just macragge blue, but huzzah none the less.

parabolic
Jul 21, 2005

good night, speedfriend

So I'm totally new to 40k, and I'm looking at some of these pretty good deals on the Death Guard half of the Dark Imperium set. How would something like this work out as a sort of general list? It's pretty much optimized to be 3x the Dark Imperium set with the addition of Tyhpus, so I think it's pretty much a slam dunk from a modeling and affordability perspective. Needs the Plaguecasters from the new sets coming up, and I'd wager it's low on anti-vehicle shooting, so should I consider something like a ranged Helbrute?

Also I can't seem to find the scale differential for Typhus between his normal and his Forge World sculpt - too big?

Death Guard Army - [108 PL, 2000pts]

Battalion Detachment +3CP (Chaos - Death Guard) [63 PL, 1126pts]

+HQ+
Malignant Plaguecaster [6 PL, 110pts]

+Troops+
Plague Marines [7 PL, 145pts]
Blight launcher, Plasma gun, Icon of Despair, 4x Plague Marines
Plague Champion
Boltgun and Bolt pistol, Plaguesword
Plague Champion
Plague Champion

+Fast Attack+
Foetid Bloat-drone [10 PL, 158pts]

Battalion Detachment +3CP (Chaos - Death Guard) [45 PL, 874pts]

+HQ+
Typhus [9 PL, 164pts]

+Troops+
Poxwalkers 20x [6 PL, 120pts]
Poxwalkers [6 PL, 120pts]
Poxwalkers [6 PL, 120pts]

+Elites+
Noxious Blightbringer [4 PL, 80pts]
Plasma pistol
Plasma pistol
Plasma pistol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

chutche2 posted:

Working on a very dumb conversion idea I had. Needs a lot of work, have to reseat the cannon so that it's not slanted and have to do a ton of greenstuffing to get the cables looking like they're connecting to it and to clean up the back of it (I cut off the servo arm and moved it to the back supporting the gun)

I get what you are going for here but the scale is just way too far off. I mean we all suspend our disbelief to play Space Barbies but that's just too much.

You also need to find a better recaster.