Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Snowy posted:

I always wish these folk metal bands could somehow be metal without the guitars and distortion. I'd love to hear really heavy bands that are all traditional instruments- it's a little schticky to just do normal metal with a little traditional instrument in the background.

Replace the claps with snare drums, the stomps with bass drums, and normal metal distortion on the guitars

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kv7jl970ppc

There's a bunch of specific styles of flamenco but bulerias and sevillanas are the two I know that are usually fast paced.

Pretty much seems like First Fragment is cribbing off the gypsy style pretty hard

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BjLguWbCW0

Spanish Manlove fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Jun 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Moist von Lipwig posted:

There's an acoustic drone band called Pelt if you can find them

I saw them live once and they were really great but I've never listened to their recordings. I'm in Lapland now and checking out some cool Sami music.

Thanks for those other links too they look like they'll be good!

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

I'm seeing Demolition Hammer play Epidemic of Violence in full tonight. Sucks if you're not.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Varg posted:

I'm seeing Demolition Hammer play Epidemic of Violence in full tonight. Sucks if you're not.

:(

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Varg posted:

:argh:

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
i really wish necrophagist would release a new album but they can't because muhammed's dad took away all his guitars

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
also the new leng tch'e track is pretty dope idk if it's been posted about in here yet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKaAQajt_WQ

Bagsack
Mar 29, 2007

I'm a fucking lobster

RISCy Business posted:

i really wish necrophagist would release a new album but they can't because muhammed's dad took away all his guitars

rofl, what? :listens to Stabwound on repeat:

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

Fun Shoe

Bagsack posted:

rofl, what? :listens to Stabwound on repeat:

it's a joke but also i like to imagine that muhammed's dad did actually take away all his guitars and he's been grounded since like 2006

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQSGVGTepSg

someone just reminded me of this

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKy5qqQgsjg

Found this chap in related videos.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Thanks for the effort posts, I am now a lvl 2 folk metal connoisseur :black101:

TollTheHounds posted:

Not quite the same thing, but If you don't already you should follow Myrkur on Facebook because she regularly posts little 2 minute videos out in a forest or hallway/stairs somewhere with some weird instrument or just singing various Nordic folk melodies.

I vastly prefer when she just does straight up folk compared to her metal stuff, she is very talented.

This is cool and good. I saw Myrkur last night at Copenhell, and I gotta say it was kind of a bummer to just hear her do a generic black metal set with three guitars when she knows so much folk stuff.

Quick trip report:

- Copenhell apparently must always drown in a loving monsoon, which combined with poor shuttle planning makes Tias a drowned boy.
- If you arrive more than two hours late at a metal festival, all Bolt Thrower patches will have been sold out :eng99:
- Memoriam owns owns owns and was easily one of the best shows.
- Rob Zombie was cool and good and covered Ramones and Alice Cooper.
- Slayer was probably a good bet for closer since they still crush it. 4/5.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Memoriam sells official Bolt Thrower stuff? I'd like a non bootleg shirt but I assumed that wasn't possible anymore.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Nah, Memoriam didn't sell anything( except their own stuff, I'd assume), but a lot of vendors still carry official stuff. Goddess.nl, who had sold out their physical shop when I arrived, still carry both patches and shirts.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
Here we go again!
25 bands have already been confirmed for MDF XVI!

MDF XVI
May 24-27, 2018

-(16)-
Abhomine
Bloodbath (Sweden)
Blood Incantation
Broken Hope
Coven
Chthe'ilist (Canada)
Destroyed in Seconds
Dead Infection (Poland)
Durian
Enemy Soil
Evoken
Eyehategod
God Dethroned (Netherlands)
Gutted (Hungary)
Lord Gore
Opera IX (Italy)
Phrenelith (Denmark)
Ritual Necromancy
Sadistic Intent
Sinister (Netherlands)
Sublime Cadaveric Decomposition (France)
Ufomammut (Italy)
Wormrot (Singapore)
Zemial (Greece)

Bagsack
Mar 29, 2007

I'm a fucking lobster

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

Here we go again!
25 bands have already been confirmed for MDF XVI!

MDF XVI
May 24-27, 2018

Eyehategod

Haha, what a name. :black101:

Cool line-up though. Bloodbath has always seemed to me like they'd be an exceptionally fun group to see live.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Bagsack posted:

Haha, what a name. :black101:

Cool line-up though. Bloodbath has always seemed to me like they'd be an exceptionally fun group to see live.

You're posting in a metal thread and you've never heard of Eyehategod before?

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Bagsack posted:

They played MDF two years ago (I think?) and yeah, it was loving awesome.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
Yeah Bloodbath was really good live.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Maybe time for an America trip next year. I really should go to this fest. Altho the :canada: $$$ sucks -- doesn't Montreal put on something similar?

Dick Boat
Jul 3, 2009

Pulse Demon

Already got my tickets for MDF 2018.

Finally get to see Chthe'ilist and Wormrot. Hopefully neither cancel.

Stoked to see Lord Gore, Bloodbath, God Dethroned, and Eyehategod again.

Hoping they somehow get Emperor to play.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice
It's been ten years since Strapping Loung Lad's 'City' was released.

Giving it a re-listen for the first time in years - I forgot how heavy and insane it really is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrtUmgNFoHk

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Dick Boat posted:

Stoked to see Lord Gore,

My friend told me about these guys years ago and it's become a running joke that I refuse to listen to them because there's no way the music can live up to that name.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

henpod posted:

Giving it a re-listen for the first time in years - I forgot how heavy and insane it really is.

This may cause you pain, but it's actually been 20 years

Vintersorg posted:

Maybe time for an America trip next year. I really should go to this fest. Altho the :canada: $$$ sucks -- doesn't Montreal put on something similar?

Heavy MTL

Hulk Krogan posted:

My friend told me about these guys years ago and it's become a running joke that I refuse to listen to them because there's no way the music can live up to that name.

They're not that great.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

uhhhhh

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Ah. I must have been confusing it with Wings of Metal. Although hey, it does have Inquisition, Suffocation and Repulsion.

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

More Primus For Fucks Sake.

That's a mix can of soup if I'v seen it.

Also USA out of Vietnam lol

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
I mean carcass, katakylsm, repulsion and suffocation would all be good to see, but sitting through the rest of that would be painful.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I always wonder how legendary extreme or underground bands feel about being put on a bill with the likes of Breaking Benjamin and Escape the Fate. probably pretty good about paying for food and rent for a while

When Carcass and Deafheaven came up to the city after playing Chicago Open Air (a largely butt rock festival in the south suburbs) Jeff Walker made a bunch of jokes about it, mostly how the aftershow audience was much older and there weren't any women.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice

Henchman of Santa posted:

This may cause you pain, but it's actually been 20 years

Wait, what year are we in? Why is there a fat orange man in the Whitehouse?:chanpop:

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Dick Boat posted:

Already got my tickets for MDF 2018.

aww yeah me too, lineup looking sick so far

henpod posted:

I'll never get tired of this band :swoon:

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

Hulk Krogan posted:

Yes, yes they can. There was a point in the early to mid-2000's that Razorback Records was on a real tear. Acid Witch, Crypticus, Decrepitaph, Fondlecorpse, Ghoul, Hooded Menace, Impetigo, Lord Gore and Revolting were all on the roster.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
and uhhh fuckin Birdflesh!

speaking of, anyone ever listen to the drummers other band Jigsore Terror? they are/were just straightforward old school grind like terrorizer, repulsion, etc with great drumming.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgCcoT9IbDg

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
Razorback went too hard and too fast for too long. They really should have spaced out their releases instead of just dumping 200 albums in a month.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
Besides heavy mtl theres also an undergrouns death grind festival they do every year

I cant remember the name though, but there is 2 heavy metal festivals there

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

henpod posted:

It's been ten twenty years since Strapping Loung Lad's 'City' was released.

This album rules forever.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

Vintersorg posted:

Montreal has some smaller festivals: Wings of Metal, Messe des Morts, Covenant, and Rrroooaaarrr.

Of course, Wings of Metal is sold out and happening for the last time this September, Messe Des Morts was shut down early due to a terrorist attack last year, Covenant is normally in BC but did a Montreal edition this year, and I donno if Roar still exists.

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

Fun Shoe

there are like 3 good bands on that roster lol

also ghost is just portal's aesthetics but somehow extremely lame

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSgEGKonGzg

RISCy Business fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Jun 27, 2017

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

RISCy Business posted:

also ghost is just portal's aesthetics but somehow extremely lame

they ripped off arthur brown's aesthetics

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbjRyjqR5eY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorewar
Dec 24, 2004

Bang your head

Zodijackylite posted:

Montreal has some smaller festivals: Wings of Metal, Messe des Morts, Covenant, and Rrroooaaarrr.

Of course, Wings of Metal is sold out and happening for the last time this September, Messe Des Morts was shut down early due to a terrorist attack last year, Covenant is normally in BC but did a Montreal edition this year, and I donno if Roar still exists.

We also have Earslaughter, which had a bunch of MDF bands, and Pukefest which is more goregrind oriented. I don't think we'll be having another Messe Des Morts. Sketchy black metal shows and bands in general are not having a great time in general in Montreal due to increased attention paid to that scene by antifa and the like as a result of protests surrounding the appearance of Graveland, so most black metal bands from out of the country are starting to just play in Quebec city nowadays.

Montreal is also not having Heavy Montreal this year. In its place will be a Guns N Roses concert since I guess Evenko (our production company that puts on all of the big shows) figured out that they would be able to get similar or greater ticket sales with way less of the overhead of bringing in 20-30 bands. Or at least GnR's guarantee is somewhat cheaper than or equal to the aforementioned 30 bands put together. Rockfest, in the neighboring town of Montebello, was also just this last weekend, but its lineup for this year's edition wasn't that great. It did, however, have this.

Gorewar fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Jun 27, 2017