Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Randyslawterhouse posted:

Absolutely, there's nothing I love more in a manhattan than a homemade maraskinoo cherry.

Store-bought marijuana cherries are just as good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
I thought mariachi cherries were racist now?

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Hey wasn't one of you hatin' on Agave Syrup/Nectar for environmental reasons recently? Do you have any evidence I can use to help rationalize removing it from the bar?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Waci posted:

I thought mariachi cherries were racist now?
No, Alain de Benoist probably used brandied cherries.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Fart Car '97 posted:

Hey wasn't one of you hatin' on Agave Syrup/Nectar for environmental reasons recently? Do you have any evidence I can use to help rationalize removing it from the bar?

it was MAKE NO BABBYS and yeah i wanna hear this too

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
When there's a sudden explosion of global demand for a regional product, that negatively impacts small businesses related to that product, as huge international companies step in to industrialize production to a huge international scale. Exhausting the available arable land, massive farming of a single cultivar (increasing vulnerability to blight and vermin), small distilleries being driven out by a regulatory process that conglomerates can buy their way through, the impact of runoff and waste...there are too many knock-on effects to go through.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004

Toast Museum posted:

Also, since sherry is all over the place in cocktails right now, what are some good brands?

Lustau's stuff is reliably good across sherry types and usually fairly affordable. I think their amontillado is a good "all purpose" sherry if you're only going to have one.

(Probably more drinks call for finos or manzanillas but those really don't work if you ever do want an oloroso, whereas I think an amontillado still makes a reasonable Tuxedo, for example. Lustau's fino is also good if you want to just focus on that, as is Hidalgo's. La Gitana or La Cigarrera are both delicious but more expensive.)

Edit: Valdespino Inocente is also great but more expensive still.

Scythe fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Jun 16, 2017

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Halloween Jack posted:

When there's a sudden explosion of global demand for a regional product, that negatively impacts small businesses related to that product, as huge international companies step in to industrialize production to a huge international scale. Exhausting the available arable land, massive farming of a single cultivar (increasing vulnerability to blight and vermin), small distilleries being driven out by a regulatory process that conglomerates can buy their way through, the impact of runoff and waste...there are too many knock-on effects to go through.

Okay but isn't the response to that "buy from trusted sources" instead of a blanket "Don't buy it" mentality?

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
Wouldn't it also apply to agave-based spirits? I mean, maybe the market for nectar is larger (I have no idea what the numbers are), but both seem like a huge step up from the traditional pace of production.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Fart Car '97 posted:

Okay but isn't the response to that "buy from trusted sources" instead of a blanket "Don't buy it" mentality?
First, how much time and energy do you really have to investigate the source of every single product you buy? Second, there are few to no trustworthy sources. So, the manufacturer puts a blurb on the label saying that it was ethically sourced. You have no means of verifying it. The consensus of websites concerned about the issues surrounding agave farming is "consumers need to start asking questions." Okay, but how do we actually get answers?

I don't buy Flor de Cana since I heard about their notoriously awful labour practices--but the key word is notorious. I don't kid myself into thinking that Appleton and Mount Gay are ethical models unless I hear otherwise. I just try to do the right thing regarding the problems of which I am aware. There isn't really a good answer--the real answer is that nations should take back control of their regional industries from conglomerates; failing that, we're just mitigating the worst effects.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004

Halloween Jack posted:

...the real answer is that nations should take back control of their regional industries from conglomerates; failing that, we're just mitigating the worst effects.

Seizing the means of production in the cocktails thread. 2017 is wild (and I'm here for it).

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Something something molotov cocktail thread.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

https://talesofthecocktail.com/news/tales-cocktail-announces-top-4-finalists-2017-spirited-awards

quote:

Best American Cocktail Bar

Anvil Bar and Refuge (Houston, TX)
Attaboy (New York, NY)
Columbia Room (Washington, DC)
Trick Dog (San Francisco, CA)

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCKKKKKKKKKKK

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH

GG, now check that the line juice hasn't oxidized

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

I haven't had it for several years, but Noilly-Prat French-style vermouth is really quite good. There's a vague toasted custard aroma and a taste of orange peels and epazote. I've been enjoying it quite a bit on its own, and the Martinis I've been making have been more than acceptable. Nice when the bog-standard bottle is still very tasty.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

anyone going to tales ?

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

goferchan posted:

anyone going to tales ?

I'll be there but just for the Spirited awards ceremony, flying in Friday and out Monday :/

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH

goferchan posted:

anyone going to tales ?

Yes. Face humidity and prepare for death.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

i'm still torn on it... talked to a friend who went last year and it sounds like you get down there and do a lot of stuff super cheap if you sneak/talk your way into events (flight and lodging included i think he spent like $500 last year?) but i work in a pretty seasonal town and July is SUPER busy for us so there's also the opportunity cost of the money I would lose by not working

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Can anybody recommend some tiki-ish or otherwise suitable for summer beer-based cocktails? Or maybe a good resource for some ideas?

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
Not aware of any tiki-ish ones (but now I'm wondering what the hell something like a pilsner + half lime + shot of pimento dram would be like...maybe good? Or maybe with falernum?).

I love a pilsner/kölsch/helles with a shot of Campari, I believe this thread calls it a "Camparty".

Micheladas are also a standby for me this summer, almost too refreshing and really low alcohol (I use a half lime, two dashes Worcestershire or Maggi, two to four dashes Valentina Black, four grinds black pepper, two pinches celery seed, 2 oz tomato juice, fill glass halfway with cheap beer, add ice; salt + chile powder rim is nice but optional depending on your laziness imo).

BluesShaman
Apr 25, 2016

She wore Blue Velvet.
Hello, cocktail thread posters.

Has the bullshot come up in discussion? I've never had one, and never even heard of it until a few months ago. But it sounds delicious. Apparently its heyday was the late 50s to the early 80s. Now it is out of fashion.

The primary question I have for bullshot drinkers is, "Hot or cold?" I've found recipes for both.

From http://imbibemagazine.com/bullshot-cocktail-recipe/ (this one is served warm)

2 oz. vodka
1/2 cup beef bouillon
1/4 oz. fresh lemon juice
1 tsp. Worchestershire
1 dash Tobasco
1 pinch cayenne pepper
1 pinch salt

and from http://www.ediblemanhattan.com/departments/liquid-assets/bullshot-david-wondrich-on-the-rise-and-fall-of-the-beef-broth-cocktail/ (over ice)

1½ oz vodka
2½ oz canned beef broth
Juice of 1 lemon wedge
2 dashes Worcestershire
2 dashes Tabasco

Using regular old canned beef broth seems to be par for the course, but all store bought stocks/broths are significantly lacking in flavor. I do have a nice batch of beef stock in the freezer. I plan to make some bullshots with it this weekend. BUT it is a pretty gelatinous stock... it gels at room temperature.

Anyone know/love/hate this cocktail?

Barbelith
Oct 23, 2010

SMILE
Taco Defender

Human Tornada posted:

Can anybody recommend some tiki-ish or otherwise suitable for summer beer-based cocktails? Or maybe a good resource for some ideas?

Beachbum Berry Remixed has the Strip and Go Naked.

3/4 oz orange juice
1 oz fresh lime juice
1 oz gin
1 oz vodka
5 oz chilled lager beer
1/4 oz grenadine

Stir vigorously with ice cubes until well chilled, then pour unstrained into a double old-fashioned glass.

I've never tried it, so report back if you do.

Keeping it simple, just make an IPA + Campari spritzer. Very refreshing on a hot summer day. Adjust the amount of Campari to your taste.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Scythe posted:

Not aware of any tiki-ish ones (but now I'm wondering what the hell something like a pilsner + half lime + shot of pimento dram would be like...maybe good? Or maybe with falernum?).

I love a pilsner/kölsch/helles with a shot of Campari, I believe this thread calls it a "Camparty".

Micheladas are also a standby for me this summer, almost too refreshing and really low alcohol (I use a half lime, two dashes Worcestershire or Maggi, two to four dashes Valentina Black, four grinds black pepper, two pinches celery seed, 2 oz tomato juice, fill glass halfway with cheap beer, add ice; salt + chile powder rim is nice but optional depending on your laziness imo).

Might try the first one there, maybe with a squirt of passion fruit syrup. I love Micheladas and those were sort of the impetus for me wanting to make more beer cocktails. I make mine with Clamato.

ima let u finish in me posted:

Beachbum Berry Remixed has the Strip and Go Naked.

3/4 oz orange juice
1 oz fresh lime juice
1 oz gin
1 oz vodka
5 oz chilled lager beer
1/4 oz grenadine

Stir vigorously with ice cubes until well chilled, then pour unstrained into a double old-fashioned glass.

I've never tried it, so report back if you do.

Keeping it simple, just make an IPA + Campari spritzer. Very refreshing on a hot summer day. Adjust the amount of Campari to your taste.

Cool, I have this book and never noticed that one in there.

Serious Eats has a couple that look interesting, Smoky Beer Sandgrita and The Pineapple Hop.

Will also try beer with Capari, I'm assuming Aperol would work well in beer too?

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
No way Aperol wouldn't work.

If you try the pimento dram, let me know if it works! I'm also thinking that Donn's Mix (grapefruit + cinnamon-infused simple) would go well in a beer, speaking of tiki ideas...

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

ima let u finish in me posted:

I am hardcore digging this, thanks! Little less Campari in the next one but :discourse:

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Human Tornada posted:

Will also try beer with Capari, I'm assuming Aperol would work well in beer too?

Hail our lord god and savior, the Camparty

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
Does anyone have any recommended drinks or drink families which are both not sours and not manhattan/old-fashioned-type all-booze drinks?

My girlfriend has historically been a sours drinker since she doesn't like super spirit-forward drinks, but lately she's not been too excited about sours either. Usually they're sweeter than she's in the mood for, even if they're well-balanced (she's also moving towards drier and drier wines). I can make up riffs on a basic sour or a spirit+sweetener+bitter all day, but they're not hitting the mark and I'm kind of at a loss for other drink families to look into (outside of tiki stuff which is usually way too sweet for her).

She's mostly a gin drinker, but also likes tequila, rum, and brandy depending on the season. Pisco, singani, and cachaça all also good. I've got a pretty well-stocked home bar to work with, and am in NYC so have good access to most stuff (and don't mind picking up weird bottles if a drink is really great and/or there are a few interesting things I could do with it).

Any ideas?

Scythe fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Jun 27, 2017

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy

Now thinking about making this for a beach trip next weekend, but I obviously don't have two weeks to make the shrub. Wonder if it'll be okay with just over a week?

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down
Shrubs are good to go as soon as you add the vinegar, however they get better as they age. Do you already have some falernum kicking around?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Scythe posted:

Does anyone have any recommended drinks or drink families which are both not sours and not manhattan/old-fashioned-type all-booze drinks?

My girlfriend has historically been a sours drinker since she doesn't like super spirit-forward drinks, but lately she's not been too excited about sours either. Usually they're sweeter than she's in the mood for, even if they're well-balanced (she's also moving towards drier and drier wines). I can make up riffs on a basic sour or a spirit+sweetener+bitter all day, but they're not hitting the mark and I'm kind of at a loss for other drink families to look into (outside of tiki stuff which is usually way too sweet for her).

She's mostly a gin drinker, but also likes tequila, rum, and brandy depending on the season. Pisco, singani, and cachaça all also good. I've got a pretty well-stocked home bar to work with, and am in NYC so have good access to most stuff (and don't mind picking up weird bottles if a drink is really great and/or there are a few interesting things I could do with it).

Any ideas?

French 75. As a bonus, if she has too many you can see whether she likes Zombies or Corpse Revivers.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
God, I love a French 75. It's like a Tom Collins in a good suit.

Oh, also try an Airmail. It's basically a French 75 with rum, lime, and honey syrup instead of gin, lemon, and simple.

What was the issue with drinks on the boozier side of things? If they're just too alcohol-forward, try the thread-favorite fifty-fifty martini. Equal parts gin and dry vermouth with a dash or two of orange bitters. Dolin Blanc also makes a good drink, though definitely sweeter.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Scythe posted:

Any ideas?

Negroni is all-time. Yea, it's all booze, but maybe try swapping the sweet vermouth for grapefruit or orange or bubbly.

Rum, gotta go tiki. Smugglers cove's mai tai recipe is incredible, and not sweet. Or a slightly acidic rum old fashioned with an aged rum is fantastic.

But now going back and looking again at your post, I think this is actually a big change in her palate. If she's not into sour, sweet, or spiritous, that leaves you...bitter, bubbly, savory/earthy, herbal. Probably a couple more.

Gin is very versatile though, is the good news. Also, whenever I deal with ennui, I go super seasonal. Take whatever you usually make, and make it summery. Add melon and mint. Fig and thyme. Strawberry and jalapeño.

Or I go dark and stormy. That's my summer cure for the blues tbh.

I think - considering her love of gin, movement towards drier wines, and general boredom of sour - we go total opposite. Gin, celery, cucumber, dry vermouth, salt, bit of citrus, soda water/bubbly/tonic.

Take a bunch of celery, clean and chop, weigh (probably 10oz), combine with half its weight in sugar in a non reactive container, stir/agitate, leave covered in the fridge overnight (not necessarily - you just want to make sure the sugar is dissolved), agitate again until sugar is dissolved, strain liquid out - you now have delicious celery syrup. (And candied celery - gotta admit I haven't found a use for it yet)

2 oz gin, 1-1.5 citrus (lemon, lime, grapefruit), .5 celery syrup, .75 dry vermouth, dash of complementary bitters, muddled cucumber if you want, shake and top with soda, strain into celery seed-salt rimmed glass. To be faithful to myself:

Gin Picnic
Muddle spoonful of chopped cucumber
Add
.5 celery syrup
.5 lemon
.5 lime
Splash grapefruit
.75 lillet blanc
2 st George botanivore
Shake, splash of soda, strain over fresh ice into tall glass half rim of celery seed salt cucumber wheel garnish

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006
You got a dick with that problem!?!

Scythe posted:

Any ideas?

Good recs already but consider:

Seelbach
Champagne Cocktail
Americano

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy

The Bandit posted:

Shrubs are good to go as soon as you add the vinegar, however they get better as they age. Do you already have some falernum kicking around?

I do, actually. The liqueur type, not a syrup/mix.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Passion Fruits are back on the shelves around here. I love them and want to incorporate them into tiki drinks but every book I have and the beach bum app only call for purée/syrup/nectar. I have syrup and juice (both taste almost nothing like passion fruit), and juicing them myself yields only a few drops out of my breville so at $3 each I'm discouraged at making my own. That leaves purée, which I only get by making my own since buying it frozen online ends up being about $100 after shipping for even the smallest quantities I've found.

Anyone have anything that they've found works well? I have made the three in the app plus I'm working on one of my own but would love some unconventional suggestions or pitcher sized recipes.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

If you have any decently stocked Latin grocery stores you can get to, you might be able to find the pulp in their freezer section under the GOYA brand. It's pretty inexpensive and the only ingredient is passion fruit pulp, and they even make some that comes in individual sized portions.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

insane line from the mr. boston bartender's guide

I have been asked for a lot of things but never a vodka negroni

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Small brain: I'll take a vodka Negroni.

Big brain: One traditional gin Negroni, please.

Exploding psychedelic brain: Bartender, I'll have a "Blue Negroni" with HPNOTIQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

goferchan posted:

Small brain: I'll take a vodka Negroni.

Big brain: One traditional gin Negroni, please.

Exploding psychedelic brain: Bartender, I'll have a "Blue Negroni" with HPNOTIQ

I'll have a "Green Negroni" with Midori, bartender, posthaste.