Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Vietnamwees posted:

So I just saw the series premiere episode for The Flash yesterday and I was pleasantly surprised by a lot of things.

I had no idea that Barry had to be in a coma for 9 months, that was a surprise. I also caught that nod to Gorilla Grodd's cage in the Particle Accelerator facility too, that was a nice touch. I was also surprised at how Barry went all the way to Starling City to meet up with Arrow, that was pretty cool.

Oh dear god. Stop watching right now and forget you ever knew this show existed, you might already be dead. You've been warned.

Oh, and Legends of Tomorrow Season 2 is pretty cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

The first season of the Flash is good. But then for whatever dumb reason they decide to make it mopey.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

This show is the Dexter of this decade. It will continually get worse and worse until it gets cancelled.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

MiddleOne posted:

This show is the Dexter of this decade. It will continually get worse and worse until it gets cancelled.

This last season was pretty okay I thought. Of course, I watched it all over the course of like six days. it was a lot more fun than mopetown.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

MiddleOne posted:

Good, that means the next season will be great and star John Lithgow as De Voe before the show slides irredeemably off the deep end.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Argue posted:

Good, that means the next season will be great and star John Lithgow as De Voe before the show slides irredeemably off the deep end.

That would require season 2 to not have been garbage, season 3 was this shows season 4. It's all downhill from here.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

MiddleOne posted:

That would require season 2 to not have been garbage, season 3 was this shows season 4. It's all downhill from here.
No, S3 wasn't really a recovery. They just had to spend the entire season trying to fix a really dumb writing choice at the end of S2. 4 has the potential to be good without all that baggage. We'll see.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

FactsAreUseless posted:

No, S3 wasn't really a recovery. They just had to spend the entire season trying to fix a really dumb writing choice at the end of S2. 4 has the potential to be good without all that baggage Barry. We'll see.

Fixed that for you. :v:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
There's been the exact same "how can the Flash be saved from itself" discussions at the end of this season as there were last season. Season one ended and everyone's really excited for what they'll do next; season two and three end and everyone's pondering whether the next season will be a return to form. :shrug:

I'm pretty sure there were fairly high-profile convention panels both this season and last where folks involved with the show had to say, "Yeah, there's been problems, but don't worry, we'll fix them next season," weren't there?

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

To be fair even with all the problems I'd still take s3 over s2 any day.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I hold by my belief that Flash was always "mopey" and it still has all the comic references and escalation people loved in S1. Its just that it followed a basic pattern where people loved the good and glossed past the bad in S1 but as time went on they got increasingly less excited by the same stuff season after season and increasingly annoyed by the bad stuff they once could make peace with.

Flash didn't get bad, it just got stagnant. It was always a dumb comic book about a guy overwhelmed by guilt of his loved ones' fates.

If they follow through on not having a speedster villain next season, stop letting Barry gently caress up time, and avoid another "loved one in peril" story than we'll see a bounce back in fan opinion because it will be something different and out of its routine. But all those good and bad things that have always been there will probably always be there.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

The thing that sucks the worst is that the dead mother storyline wasn't even Barry's story for like the first 60 years of his comics, it was invented less than 10 years ago by Geoff Johns for whatever stupid reason. Flash was always one of the handful of characters who didn't have death or tragedy in his backstory, he was always just a dude who loved science and exploration and doing the right thing, so he became a police scientist and when he became the Flash started hitting up different dimensions and times. We get glimpses of a happy-go-lucky Barry and I feel like that's what everyone wants and ALSO what comics fans had until super recently.

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I'd be fine with a season of flash that was more like Supergirl and less like The Arrow.

Everyone doesn't need to be kidnapped, murdered, brooding or about to be murdered or kidnapped anywhere but Starling City. Barry needs to take five minutes to enjoy his day now and then.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Season 4 has potential because they won't have a speedster villain who is just a poor man's Eobard Thawne.

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

Space Crabs posted:

I'd be fine with a season of flash that was more like Supergirl and less like The Arrow.

Everyone doesn't need to be kidnapped, murdered, brooding or about to be murdered or kidnapped anywhere but Starling City. Barry needs to take five minutes to enjoy his day now and then.

I'd love a season of flash that was more like Legends Season 2. Just dial the ridiculousness up to 11.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
To me, Flash should be that one moment from the pilot where after Barry saves Joe's rear end from Weather Wizard, they both just kinda fall down and start laughing uncontrollably over how much loving fun it is to be a wacky comic book super hero.

Just that moment, forever. Come on guys, it's not that hard. You managed it for most of Season 1...

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Space Crabs posted:

Remember when Ollie said "We'll I'm not as well adjusted as you are Barry."

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

FactsAreUseless posted:

No, S3 wasn't really a recovery. They just had to spend the entire season trying to fix a really dumb writing choice at the end of S2. 4 has the potential to be good without all that baggage. We'll see.

Eleven words on the very first S4 cold open could fix everything:

"My name is Wally West, and I'm the fastest man alive."

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

STAC Goat posted:

Flash didn't get bad, it just got stagnant.
I'd probably agree with this. One of my problems with the show is that there's way too much "I have to get faster"/pep talk stuff. That was fine in Season 1 where it made a lot of sense (novice hero, mentor figure etc). By the end of Season 3 you really want a hero who is more capable and experienced. Like it really annoyed me in the episode where Barry goes into the future, runs straight into a fight with Mirror Master and Top and gets completely punked by them. e: At the end, I mean. At least at the beginning of the episode he was caught somewhat off-guard.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Chokes McGee posted:

Christ they had better loving do that. I don't care if Barry is back that episode, just in the moment commit to the notion that Barry is off in Speed Heaven.

And while I'm talking about things I hope happen, don't have the team drag Barry out of Speed Heaven, let him come back on his own terms. Let's not have a complete rehash of Buffy season 6.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

I just wanna watch flash dad's adventures over on good Earth with all those fun wacky supervillains. Every once in a while he's got to go yell at Barry or Wally for screwing with the time space continuum.

I was really hoping they'd use Flashpoint to kinda reset the world to a more Justice League-y, supers are ubiquitous kinda setting but they didn't do that and I'm sad.

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

CainsDescendant posted:

I just wanna watch flash dad's adventures over on good Earth with all those fun wacky supervillains. Every once in a while he's got to go yell at Barry or Wally for screwing with the time space continuum.

I was really hoping they'd use Flashpoint to kinda reset the world to a more Justice League-y, supers are ubiquitous kinda setting but they didn't do that and I'm sad.

Well they did but it was more of the Neck-snapping-while-thousands-die-in-a-destroyed-city Man of Steel kinda setting rather than being fun sometimes kinda setting.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

CainsDescendant posted:

They really can't do anything like that though, given that they're tied to Arrow and Legends. I guess they could have had Barry create Flashpoint and then the show just takes place over there from now on, but that makes crossovers even more complicated and the Arrow/Legends characters would still be interacting with non-Flashpoint versions of everyone but Barry.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Chokes McGee posted:

Hell yeah.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Finally caught up.

That certainly was an ending!

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
So Speedforce Dad is played by the same actor as Barry Allen's regular dad, right?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Vietnamwees posted:

So Speedforce Dad is played by the same actor as Barry Allen's regular dad, right?

Yes. Not only does John Wesley Shipp play Henry Allen and Jay Garrick, he was also the original live action Flash on the 90s CBS series. They've slipped a couple of clips of him as 90s Flash in here and there as a homage too.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

nine-gear crow posted:

Yes. Not only does John Wesley Shipp play Henry Allen and Jay Garrick, he was also the original live action Flash on the 90s CBS series. They've slipped a couple of clips of him as 90s Flash in here and there as a homage too.

I like to assume that Shipp!Garrick had the exact same adventurers as Shipp!Flash did on the 90s show.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I like to assume that Jay is hanging with a Justice Society on his earth that is way cooler than the Legends/Earth 1 one and includes a guy with a green lantern.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jun 23, 2017

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

STAC Goat posted:

I like to assume that Jay is hanging with a Justice Society on his earth that is way cooler than the Legends/Earth 2 one and includes a guy with a green lantern.

Hey, Green Lantern exists in the Arrowverse. He's just stuck in the same cell at ARGUS that they locked Harley Quinn, Batman, and Nightwing in :v:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

8one6 posted:

I like to assume that Shipp!Garrick had the exact same adventurers as Shipp!Flash did on the 90s show.

Well, we know that some of the stuff from the 90s Flash show actually happened, just without the Flash being around. Mark Hamill played the Trickster on that show and they used still images of it to talk about his crime spree in one of the episodes with him.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

muscles like this! posted:

Well, we know that some of the stuff from the 90s Flash show actually happened, just without the Flash being around. Mark Hamill played the Trickster on that show and they used still images of it to talk about his crime spree in one of the episodes with him.

They used a lot of poo poo from the 1990 show because it was an AWESOME show.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Rhyno posted:

They used a lot of poo poo from the 1990 show because it was an AWESOME show.

Me wanting to stay up late to watch this show when I was 6 years old is what started my obsession with the Flash.

Also my older cousin leaving the Flash 50th Anniversary Special comic at my house - it had all the Flashes in their different art styles and with facts about all of them in the back, was awesome.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
That's why I hope they keep doing fun moments like this one now that Shipp is back playing The Flash again. 90s Flash was a bit before my time, but I enjoy all the callbacks to it immensely, regardless.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

nine-gear crow posted:

Hey, Green Lantern exists in the Arrowverse. He's just stuck in the same cell at ARGUS that they locked Harley Quinn, Batman, and Nightwing in :v:

Wait, what? I knew about the Harley Quinn joke but hadn't heard about the others.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Polaron posted:

Wait, what? I knew about the Harley Quinn joke but hadn't heard about the others.

They have all had references made to them. They've mentioned Ferris Air, Bloodhaven, and Supergirl said her cousin worked with a guy like Green Arrow

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
A guy like Batman, not Green Arrow. They've shown Supergirl and Green Arrow together already. :v:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The Green Lantern bit was from Arrow, there was a flashback to Oliver in Coast City and in it you saw a glimpse of a guy wearing a jacket with the name "Jordan" on it.

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

muscles like this! posted:

The Green Lantern bit was from Arrow, there was a flashback to Oliver in Coast City and in it you saw a glimpse of a guy wearing a jacket with the name "Jordan" on it.

I thought it was also brought up on Flash. They were transporting those guys from the pipeline. Barry says something to the effect of "Huh, the old Ferris airfield. Didn't they have to shut it down when one of their test pilots disappeared.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

BrianWilly posted:

A guy like Batman, not Green Arrow. They've shown Supergirl and Green Arrow together already. :v:

Supergirl said her cousin works with a guy like Green Arrow. The Implication being that it's Batman.

• Locked thread