Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Phobophilia posted:

my read of this story is that its about every single sonic fanfic coming to life and empowering a evil sonic and now the only way to beat her is for the ultimate crossover fiction event
Project x Zone 3 is totally happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
Man at least the opening theme is good.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

^^^ Is Magane's power to make anything real if people deny it? I.e. if she says "there's a giant penis flying through the sky" and you say "no there's not" there will suddenly be a giant sky dildo? That seems like the sort of thing that would be really good up until people figured out how it worked, at which point it would become utterly useless against all but the most incompetent opponents (that mind control guy from My Hero Academia has that same problem; if he ever becomes a famous hero, his power will become useless).

So I ended up not watching the rest of the episodes last night, so I'm still at episode 10. I really hope that the MC literally told suicide girl "go kill yourself" before she suicided, because at least then he would have a legitimate reason for being ashamed and wanting to hide it from people, but I have a feeling that he did something far more benign that allows him to maintain some sort of plausible deniability in terms of his moral rectitude.

In general this show feels really awkward. So little happens! I was giving it the benefit of the doubt for the first several episodes, but it's amazing how little has happened so far. I think that it could be summed up as:

- Animes arrive in real world
- Animes meet their creators
- People discuss the grand plan of Uniform Princess
- People determine the identity of Uniform Princess
- Mamika gets turned into a shish kebab by Uniform Princess

I feel like everything up until episode 10 could have been condensed into just 3 or 4 episodes, easily.

And there isn't that much character development, either. It's just space filled with nothing.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

Maybe they're referring to the ongoing debate about how Attack on Titan wants us to feel about its use of fascist imagery?

For the record, the current answer seems to be 'about as comfortable as you should be with the chief of state in Fullmetal Alchemist being called the Fuhrer - which is to say, not at all', but the jury's still out, and will likely be so for a while.

Yeah but the government's both suck and are super evil, so I don't think either idealize fascism. Plus technically it's a monarchy in AoT. FMA they committed genocide constantly to create a God, and the entire narrative shits on the military constantly, we just see the few ok Nazis.

Also forever I thought his title was fuhrer king until I later found out years down the road that king was his first name.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Kwyndig posted:

But then how would it run for 24 episodes?
GUILTY CROWN!

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Darth Walrus posted:

Maybe they're referring to the ongoing debate about how Attack on Titan wants us to feel about its use of fascist imagery?

For the record, the current answer seems to be 'about as comfortable as you should be with the chief of state in Fullmetal Alchemist being called the Fuhrer - which is to say, not at all', but the jury's still out, and will likely be so for a while.

I never understood the argument that AOT was pro-fascist, especially considering the way the latest season literally humanizes the enemy.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

C-SPAN Caller posted:

Yeah but the government's both suck and are super evil, so I don't think either idealize fascism. Plus technically it's a monarchy in AoT. FMA they committed genocide constantly to create a God, and the entire narrative shits on the military constantly, we just see the few ok Nazis.

Also forever I thought his title was fuhrer king until I later found out years down the road that king was his first name.

That was what I said in that post, yes.

Mordja posted:

I never understood the argument that AOT was pro-fascist, especially considering the way the latest season literally humanizes the enemy.

As I said, it uses a lot of fascist imagery, people were antsy about one of the major heroic authorities being designed after the governor of occupied Korea and another being a blond guy called Erwin, and a recent-ish arc involved the military overthrowing the corrupt civilian government and putting a junta in its place. Plus, it was early in the series, so we hadn't yet been shown how we were supposed to feel about the world we had been shown. It's easy to see now that Isayama is unlikely to be engaging in fascist apologia, but it's equally easy to see why the debate started in the first place.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, a guy called Erwin in a series where names like Berthold and Reiner are commonplace, that sounds mighty suspicious and like a political agenda

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

HenryEx posted:

Yeah, a guy called Erwin in a series where names like Berthold and Reiner are commonplace, that sounds mighty suspicious and like a political agenda

A genius, Aryan-as-gently caress military commander called Erwin fighting a race of cannibalistic subhumans. Context matters, and at first glance, that's a pitch that looks like it rolled straight out of a Tom Kratman novel.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I think you mixed up "sub" and "super".

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

HenryEx posted:

I think you mixed up "sub" and "super".

Eh, it's a matter of perspective. They're big and fast, but this is not exactly my idea of the next step in human evolution.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Darth Walrus posted:

Eh, it's a matter of perspective. They're big and fast, but this is not exactly my idea of the next step in human evolution.
A titan voiced by Koyasu is totally the next step in human evolution :unsmigghh:

If we're going by creepy-rear end backgrounds relating to Attack on Titan, isn't Erwin not only supposed to be partly named/based on the Desert Fox himself, but visually speaking he's also inspired on Matthew Goode's portrayal of Adrian Veidt/Ozymandias?

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

So basically Altair is memes.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
Altair is mankind's first sin given form and function. God's grandchild driven mad by the horrifying inanity of it's existence.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Which show's that?
Sorry for posting and leaving, but the show I was "Shuumatsu Nani Shitemasu ka? Isogashii desu ka? Sukutte Moratte Ii desu ka?'. Which is mostly just boring bad but when you start thinking about what the show is saying it gets much worse very fast, you know like how Lifetime movies often have a really messed up subtext.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

How the hell did the recap episode manage to outshine the 12 episodes preceding it? How!? :eyepop:

Lestaki
Nov 6, 2009

Grouchio posted:

How the hell did the recap episode manage to outshine the 12 episodes preceding it? How!? :eyepop:

I know. It's amazing, in a sense.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Lestaki posted:

I know. It's amazing, in a sense.
Let's dedicate today towards her hilarious deadpan zingers:

*PAUSE* "Muscle-Brains can't hold a conversation" *WHACK*

"It's not Selesia's Fault she's weak"

"Shut up Grasshopper-Glasses"

BurningDance
Apr 27, 2010
I like how Meteora refrained from saying anything about Magane. Meteora can't bring herself to say any lies about her. :allears:

Zwiebel
Feb 19, 2011

Hi!

Re:CREATORS-discussions.jpg :v:

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Holy poo poo.

Highlights the fight where Selesia gets rekt by a little girl

Re-writes her own fight as a sexy cool powerful character that easily wins and immediately ends the story

:laffo:

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
The rant about Altair's design was the best.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry
Is the show we are watching supposed to be the one the government commissioned? I don't know what's real anymore.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I laughed.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Terrible Opinions posted:

Sorry for posting and leaving, but the show I was "Shuumatsu Nani Shitemasu ka? Isogashii desu ka? Sukutte Moratte Ii desu ka?'. Which is mostly just boring bad but when you start thinking about what the show is saying it gets much worse very fast, you know like how Lifetime movies often have a really messed up subtext.

What? Sukasuka's pretty ok and it isn't fascist propaganda at all. You realise the point is that the guy's against and disgusted about there being child soldier suicide bombers and actively tries to make things better, along with a really on the nose "racism is bad" subplot.

If that's fascist propaganda, Re:Creators is about the validation of North Korea's strategy of re-writing history to make them into the greatest nation on earth to become the greatest nation on earth.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Darth Walrus posted:

A genius, Aryan-as-gently caress military commander called Erwin fighting a race of cannibalistic subhumans. Context matters, and at first glance, that's a pitch that looks like it rolled straight out of a Tom Kratman novel.
Having read one of Tom Kratman's books, I think you are drastically overselling the subtlety of his message.

edit: also, I just now realized this isn't the AoT thread

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

What? Sukasuka's pretty ok and it isn't fascist propaganda at all. You realise the point is that the guy's against and disgusted about there being child soldier suicide bombers and actively tries to make things better, along with a really on the nose "racism is bad" subplot.

If that's fascist propaganda, Re:Creators is about the validation of North Korea's strategy of re-writing history to make them into the greatest nation on earth to become the greatest nation on earth.
You see being disgusted with the all female child soldiers is perfectly in line with fascist fiction. It is meant to shame the male audience into military service. The suicide bombers are only necessary because of the lack of available men of sufficiently pure human lineage to wield the weapons properly. They emphasize repeatedly that the female characters don't want to fight, but what is the only thing they want to do instead. Well the only one we ever explore wants to settle down and have children.

Then you have the "racism" plot falling very flat because the vast majority sympathetic characters look basically human while the people hurting the war effort are 100% non-human looking.

Also re:creators isn't validating North Korea, it's just a rather self-indulgent not especially well made celebration of Japanese nerd culture.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
actually re:creators owns because meteora gets to throw shade at absolutely everybody

i watched like 1.5 episodes of sukawhatever because the jokes in ep2 made my eyes roll out of my skull and jfc did the main character not ask the heroine her name despite hanging out for hours exploring the city in a lovingly animated musical sequence?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

The producers also made 4-koma box recaps in addition to the recap episode we just got: https://imgur.com/a/fCrGx

It is also quite hilarious.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

The episode being a recap scared me a little at first but then they actually made something amusing out of it. That was a nice, pleasant surprise.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Lol how did i miss all this time that Meteora's last name is Austria

edit: tbf the "wait who the gently caress is this?? i don't remember her" moment before the name card pops up is p. good

HenryEx fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jul 3, 2017

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

HenryEx posted:

Lol how did i miss all this time that Meteora's last name is Austria

Haha, yeah I was thinking the exact same thing.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Grouchio posted:

The producers also made 4-koma box recaps in addition to the recap episode we just got: https://imgur.com/a/fCrGx

It is also quite hilarious.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
thankfully, this show had the best opportunity to make a recap episode something interesting, and they pretty much nailed it

you basically couldn't do a recap episode any better without making it not actually a recap episode

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Basically, the optimal way to experience this show so far is to watch episode 1, then see some assorted gifs of Magane

and then watch episode 13.

And nothing of value was lost

HenryEx fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Jul 4, 2017

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

If every episode had a 5-10min skit at the end of Meteora and Magane banter it would be the best.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
so...

I think one newbie's from some kind of Romance of Three Kingdoms kind of deal, but is the other girl...some kind of dating sim character??

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

Gyra_Solune posted:

so...

I think one newbie's from some kind of Romance of Three Kingdoms kind of deal, but is the other girl...some kind of dating sim character??

He's got a tragic backstory set in a modern-looking city and some sort of centaur mecha, so I don't think they're going for a RoTK thing. The girl does seem like a naive love interest from a VN or something.

Also in the new ED, Hangaku is shown next to Yuuya again. Wonder if that actually presages Yuuya getting her back.

Hargrimm fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Jul 9, 2017

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Hargrimm posted:

The girl does seem like a naive love interest from a VN or something.

She'll completely counter Magane by believing all of her lies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

Tamba posted:

She'll completely counter Magane by believing all of her lies.

We can only hope.

• Locked thread