Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
crime weed
Nov 9, 2009

Ytlaya posted:

Liberals enjoy the feeling of finding common ground with their ideological opponents, because they feel like doing so intrinsically makes them more open-minded and reasonable. I think that there's also some sort of sense that, by ceding ground on some issues, they can gain a sort of "political capital" to use later in a discussion (for example "I acknowledged this aspect of your argument so surely you should acknowledge some aspect of mine in return"). Both these things are understandable feelings to have, but they're obviously still dumb and wrong.

Ultimately, this is a reflection of the fact that liberals have no real ideology or conviction of their own beyond opposition to elements of other peoples' ideologies. They know that they dislike some things conservatives want*, but they don't really have any ideal for how the future should be that goes beyond repelling threats to the status quo. Sometimes they might say something about wanting to revive New Deal policies, but generally speaking this only comes up if you specifically pressure them to articulate their ideal future; if left to their own devices, liberals will almost always choose to focus all their effort on condemning Republicans.

*And honestly I think a lot of this is dependent upon cultural identifiers. Someone who identifies as a liberal and doesn't have various characteristics associated with being conservative (like being old, white, and generally socially conservative) can get away with proposing the same sort of stuff as conservatives, provided they avoid any sort of language that overtly sounds conservative (*cough* Jon Ossoff *cough*). The same thing is true for conservatives, who are often willing to consider liberal ideas as long as they're wrapped up in language they haven't already been taught to disagree with.
i think chapo was pretty on point when they identified shows like The West Wing to be everything that's wrong with the liberal perception on how politics works

conservatives don't actually care for Sorkin's dumb rules, if you own them with Reason and Logic, they're not going to say "oh, well, ya got me" - they're going to deflect and filibuster. compromising on one bill won't mean that you'll gain ground in others, because they don't care. this applies to the tactics the Skeptics employ as well - intellectual honesty means very little to them, as long as it means they can "Win". people who strive to maintain convictions and Play By The Rules are incredibly disadvantaged against such tactics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Kjoery posted:

conservatives don't actually care for Sorkin's dumb rules, if you own them with Reason and Logic, they're not going to say "oh, well, ya got me" - they're going to deflect and filibuster. compromising on one bill won't mean that you'll gain ground in others, because they don't care. this applies to the tactics the Skeptics employ as well - intellectual honesty means very little to them, as long as it means they can "Win". people who strive to maintain convictions and Play By The Rules are incredibly disadvantaged against such tactics.

And honestly the conservatives are right in this strategy; it just so happens that the underlying ideology driving their actions is terrible and harmful. But if you actually believe that your ideas are good for society, shouldn't you do whatever you can to actually implement them?

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

Intrinsic Field Marshal posted:

Yeah people get shot in the back of the head at 4am for no real reason

Lmao :fuckoff:

crime weed
Nov 9, 2009

Ytlaya posted:

And honestly the conservatives are right in this strategy; it just so happens that the underlying ideology driving their actions is terrible and harmful. But if you actually believe that your ideas are good for society, shouldn't you do whatever you can to actually implement them?
while authoritarian conservatives are a dime a dozen in my experience, i've met very few leftists with a "the ends justify the means" philosophy - think of all the nerd media we've consumed that have taught us the intricacies of complex moral dilemmas with no simple solution. what would Jean Luc Picard do???

but hey, maybe this political climate will iron out all those pesky virtues. ive been pretty conflicted myself, as of late.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Kjoery posted:

while authoritarian conservatives are a dime a dozen in my experience, i've met very few leftists with a "the ends justify the means" philosophy - think of all the nerd media we've consumed that have taught us the intricacies of complex moral dilemmas with no simple solution. what would Jean Luc Picard do???

but hey, maybe this political climate will iron out all those pesky virtues. ive been pretty conflicted myself, as of late.

i think its partially because its a less black and white world view at least to an extent(i know of plenty of liberals who would see half the country burn so they could jerk of to technocratic "enlightened" state, but most of those people are just twitter assholes) the issue is real life rearly has simple solutions even if the right choice should be simple.

Kjoery posted:

i think chapo was pretty on point when they identified shows like The West Wing to be everything that's wrong with the liberal perception on how politics works

yeah pretty much. the show is just about jerking off to procedure and authority and all the pomp and ritual while having no real political opinions of there own but only caring about how "intelgently and whitty" the arguments are. i mean gently caress, game of thrones has more realistic politics then west wing.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Kjoery posted:

Oh, to be clear I'm not talking about doing stuff that is inherently unethical or anything (which causes its own sort of harm). I'm just talking about stuff like only compromising when you absolutely don't have a choice and using all the tools (ethically) available to you to pursue your goals.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah pretty much. the show is just about jerking off to procedure and authority and all the pomp and ritual while having no real political opinions of there own but only caring about how "intelgently and whitty" the arguments are. i mean gently caress, game of thrones has more realistic politics then west wing.
It could be stupider, it could be House of Cards.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
from what i could tell, maddox used to not really take a side on all this, even during the whole dick masterson thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07qPpmsY7NM

on second thought, given the things he's written about women, i probably should have seen this coming

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Isn't Maddox a libertarian? This is fairly - if not sadly- unsurprising.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Carl really milking that Anita Sarkeesian thing. I'm guessing nothing came of that and the conference organizers ignored his acting out for attention?

crime weed
Nov 9, 2009

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

i probably should have seen this coming
Jumped to a random point, and yup - I like how these hacks just let him say this poo poo

quote:

CARL: Well, no, the minorities aren't being treated that way [discriminated against], that's the thing - we don't have racial --- the US doesn't have racially discriminatory laws. These people are making this poo poo up, and they're using it as a weapon.
MADDOX: [sits respectfully. silently. this is normal]

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQrDnOIeIV0

I can't wait for the next Sargon video where he decries getting a restraining order as harassment

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

I just got home and actually watched the video with your timestamp, and I have to say, Maddox, to his credit, actually does push back quite a bit. I don't know if that's his own views, or if was playing devil's advocate, but he did make an attempt to argue for the other side.

Also, LOL @ Sargon saying that institutional racism doesn't exist because there's no law that says policeman HAVE TO arrest black people.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Also, too.

"Racism against black people doesn't exist because all those police shootings are isolated incidents, and stupid leftists want to try to collectively blame White people"

"Black people commit more crimes because they're collectively encouraged to do so by their community"

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Intrinsic Field Marshal posted:

Yeah people get shot in the back of the head at 4am for no real reason

you are so consistently wrong and dumb you could be a youtube intellectual.

sargon is right in the sense that laws are not literally written as discriminatory but for anyone with a working brain you can see that since the outcome is discriminatory that would mean that the laws themselves are discriminatory. even that point is moot because the much larger issue is enforcement. white people commit drug crime out of proportion to their population size yet 3/4 of drug convictions are blacks and latinos. cops aren't raiding frat houses constantly despite the fact a frat row would have far more drug dealing and consumption than a block in the ghetto.

sargon would make a good supreme court justice. they constantly ruled that if a prosecutor didn't say he was doing poo poo for racist reasons (even though it was obviously he was, any other excuse he gives it automatically valid) or the law wasn't explicitly written as racist we can't deem it racist even though the data shows it to be so.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Jun 27, 2017

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Naw you guys all black people should do to fix their problems is get married. I am smart and not a piece of poo poo English retard racist.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Groovelord Neato posted:

sargon is right in the sense that laws are not literally written as discriminatory but for anyone with a working brain you can see that since the outcome is discriminatory that would mean that the laws themselves are discriminatory. even that point is moot because the much larger issue is enforcement.
Some of the laws are discriminatory, like the crack:powder sentencing disparity, but the vast majority seem written as neutral, just enacted within a racialized society. The problem is that to unskew this you have to start talking about race in statute, which is when all the "affirmative action is reverse racism" poo poo starts flying.
Youtube Intellectuals are bad at identifying social constructs so unless there are literal slurs in the text of the statute they can't see that. Even then some of the worst like Aurini would probably try to excuse that, see they're not talking about arresting black people, they're talking about arresting *BONG*

Groovelord Neato posted:

sargon would make a good supreme court justice.
Please don't give Trump ideas.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the crack law isn't explicitly racist just implicitly so. it's perfect for pedants like sargon et al. another fun lil tidbit: white peeps do and deal crack more than black people but 99.8 percent of crack convictions are black offenders.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Maybe black people don't commit more crimes, maybe they're just worse at it. Like, genetically incompetent at criminal enterprise.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Kjoery posted:

I think you can have an "ends justify the means" philosophy without forgetting that some means are counterproductive to your desired end.

So heavy authoritarianism for example is fairly at odds with securing universal welfare because the problem with benevolent dictators is that the dictatorship endures beyond the benevolent occupant.

Same with murdering loads of people, very rarely achieves anything positive.

But like, playing by the political queensbury rules? gently caress that, there's nothing sacred about them and if they get in the way then why the hell would you want to preserve them?

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Aggressively bad, alt-right, mush-mouthed YouTuber "The Atheist Gamer" (the guy who doxxes preteen girls, hates women (except for those demure Asian women, you see), and made a video about how making GBS threads your pants is a normal thing for a twenty-something to do) makes a video about how his subscribers don't support him enough, and maybe if they paid him more money on Patreon he'd finally be able to stop living with his mommy.

https://youtu.be/xfq0MJyiV4U

Also he made another video about how he's leaving the skeptic community because he doxxed someone and they got mad, but it's their fault for not being more accepting of him and his radical ideas on feminism (that, for example, "it's bad").

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Ratoslov posted:

Maybe black people don't commit more crimes, maybe they're just worse at it. Like, genetically incompetent at criminal enterprise.

That NoBullshit guy literally said that the reason Blacks get arrested more is because they're too dumb and careless and thus get caught easier (he used the examples of smoking joints out in the open and making their guns visible from their pockets).

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Mr Interweb posted:

That NoBullshit guy literally said that the reason Blacks get arrested more is because they're too dumb and careless and thus get caught easier (he used the examples of smoking joints out in the open and making their guns visible from their pockets).

Is his experience with black people 100% based on the cover art for GTA games?

crime weed
Nov 9, 2009

Mr Interweb posted:

I just got home and actually watched the video with your timestamp, and I have to say, Maddox, to his credit, actually does push back quite a bit. I don't know if that's his own views, or if was playing devil's advocate, but he did make an attempt to argue for the other side.
Did he, though? His response seemed pretty freakin' softball to me. If someone makes a claim as absurd and blatantly false as "All minorities are lying about discrimination in order to Keep The White Man Down", you press that motherfucker hard. Maybe I didn't watch long enough, but jesus christ.

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

Verisimilidude posted:

Aggressively bad, alt-right, mush-mouthed YouTuber "The Atheist Gamer" (the guy who doxxes preteen girls, hates women (except for those demure Asian women, you see), and made a video about how making GBS threads your pants is a normal thing for a twenty-something to do) makes a video about how his subscribers don't support him enough, and maybe if they paid him more money on Patreon he'd finally be able to stop living with his mommy.

https://youtu.be/xfq0MJyiV4U

Also he made another video about how he's leaving the skeptic community because he doxxed someone and they got mad, but it's their fault for not being more accepting of him and his radical ideas on feminism (that, for example, "it's bad").

Uhhh, come again?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean I guess if you have violent diarrhea it might be understandable but I don't know if "normal" is how I'd describe it.

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot

OwlFancier posted:

I mean I guess if you have violent diarrhea it might be understandable but I don't know if "normal" is how I'd describe it.

Take Imodium

Problem Solved

:smuggo:

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

NikkolasKing posted:

Liberals cede ground too easily. They've already accepted Ronald Reagan as not pure evil and they are now saying Bush Jr. wasn't so bad, he was just surrounded by a cabal of evil geniuses.

10 years from now, "was Trump that bad?"

In 10 years when you have to surpass Hitler himself to even be considered for a GOP nod, yes, we'll wish for Trump but also death.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Mr Interweb posted:

Isn't Maddox a libertarian? This is fairly - if not sadly- unsurprising.

Nah, Maddox is mostly liberal even if he doesn't like to admit it. He used to be like "both sides are wrong" but mostly sided with "conservatives are wrong". He had a fallout with his former cohost Dick Masterson. There was a clear ideological conflict between them: Dick was a libertarian and a huge Trump supporter.

It's been a while since I listened to his podcast but I'm absolutely surprised Maddox is getting involved with Sargon and kekistan poo poo.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

aware of dog posted:

Uhhh, come again?

I don't remember which one, but in one video he talks about how he shits his pants by accident some times because, you know, that just kinda happens to healthy adults from time to time.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Kjoery posted:

Did he, though? His response seemed pretty freakin' softball to me. If someone makes a claim as absurd and blatantly false as "All minorities are lying about discrimination in order to Keep The White Man Down", you press that motherfucker hard. Maybe I didn't watch long enough, but jesus christ.

I thought it was okay. I mean, yeah he was definitely a bit meek about it, but he did make a (pretty fair, imo) attempt. Maybe I was expecting a worse performance.

Symbolic Butt posted:

Nah, Maddox is mostly liberal even if he doesn't like to admit it. He used to be like "both sides are wrong" but mostly sided with "conservatives are wrong". He had a fallout with his former cohost Dick Masterson. There was a clear ideological conflict between them: Dick was a libertarian and a huge Trump supporter.

It's been a while since I listened to his podcast but I'm absolutely surprised Maddox is getting involved with Sargon and kekistan poo poo.

Who's that other rear end in a top hat in that linked video?

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Symbolic Butt posted:

perhaps he just sees himself as intellectual? Trumps anti-intellectual, Sargon pretends to be one, so there's a sort of consistency there.

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qEwRZ0PziA

yass slay queen

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Mr Interweb posted:

Who's that other rear end in a top hat in that linked video?

I didn't watch it yet but I'll guess it's Rucka Rucka Ali.

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

perhaps he just sees himself as intellectual? Trumps anti-intellectual, Sargon pretends to be one, so there's a sort of consistency there.

Maddox's parents are armenian refugees so I'm pretty that's where his anti-trump tendencies come from.

Which btw now that I noticed the Anita Sarkeesian bit in the title of the video I remembered a Maddox story. It went something like this: Maddox found Anita in a convention and wanted to talk to her as "fellow armenian-americans" but she called security on him when he started to get close to her.

So I guess this is the main motivation for bringing Sargon to his show.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Before vidcon I was actually beginning to like and enjoyed Anita's videos and saw really good improvement in her presentation style.

After vidcon however....

I AM 1000% AN ANITAMANIAC SLAY ON YOU WOMDERFUL TOMYRIS OF YOUTUBE FEMINIST CRITIQUE.

LIKED.

COMMENTED.

SUBSCRIBED.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

I wonder what Boogie has to say when some of his followers say things like

quote:

Why is everyone so afraid of this Anita bitch? I say we just hang this bitch upside down by her pussy lips!!

Also lol at people who are afraid of the term "white privilege" literally because it hurts their feelings.

Verisimilidude fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Jun 27, 2017

crime weed
Nov 9, 2009

"Well, actually, Anita, we should be building positive communities and be finding The Middle Ground, like what I'm doing"

From Boogie's comments section posted:

Ah yes, I can see it working.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Verisimilidude posted:

Do you all think this anti-sjw thing is dying out? I feel like I rarely hear people complaining about SJWs these days outside of very specific areas where that kind of talk is considered "acceptable". The fervor seems to have died down in favor of people making fun of popular alt-right figures who are demonstrably bad and easy to make fun of. Like the big targets these days for railing against feminism/sjws are relatively unknown, or they're yesterday's news and have actually managed to break past their original hang-ups and became stronger figures in their respective fields. The alt-right/anti-SJW crowd has always and will always continue to be a bunch of edgelord white dudes.

They haven't died down, they just morphed into good old fashioned right wing fascist white nationalist racism in all its forms. They've widened their hit list to muslims, gays, brown people, refugees, Jews, the left as a whole, etc. they've actually become a bigger problem because the mysoginy hasn't decreased it's just become part of their giant poo poo soup instead of all of it. They've become gateway drugs to drag thousands of retard loser shitheads into those ideas.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Al-Saqr posted:

They haven't died down, they just morphed into good old fashioned right wing fascist white nationalist racism in all its forms. They've widened their hit list to muslims, gays, brown people, refugees, Jews, the left as a whole, etc. they've actually become a bigger problem because the mysoginy hasn't decreased it's just become part of their giant poo poo soup instead of all of it. They've become gateway drugs to drag thousands of retard loser shitheads into those ideas.

Yeah, I deleted what I wrote earlier because the idea is absurd and I thought twice, but since you quoted:

It seems like since it morphed into this more tangible form (alt-right) that accepts and proliferates all of these other less-acceptable ideas (racism, virulent misogyny, white supremacy, etc) it has become easier for people to distance themselves from those ideas. At least in my experience, people seem to be stepping away from being so outwardly anti-SJW/anti-feminism because, even though they do support alt-right views, they don't want to be perceived as alt-right themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crime weed
Nov 9, 2009

Al-Saqr posted:

nah, most of them are ok with gays, people who look approximately white, and asians (because anime). black people can be ok, as long as They're One Of The Good Ones.

the really hardline alt-righters (the ones that attended Spencer's rally recently, for example) tho are pretty intent on their whiteboy's club, yeah. i wouldn't classify The Skeptics as That Bad - yet. at the very least they have to pretend to put on an extremely thin PC face when in the public spotlight. who knows, though, maybe they'll be able to break down that last layer of social resistance.

• Locked thread