Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer

CHICKEN SHOES posted:

i skipped the past 70 posts or so but I'm going to go out on a limb here and say ya'll were being enlisted as gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Boon posted:

Just stop dude, you sound like a white knighting idiot. The guys in the story are clearly, brazenly cheating. gently caress them. Period.

I've never white knighed anyone because I hate women!!!

Cheating is bad and wrong, telling on cheaters and then posting about it is pathetic. Thinking that denying some purportedly self entitled Saudi a degree is going to do anything to improve academia is beyond delusional.

Lol at this discussion going 70 posts strong though. With the new academic year coming up maybe we can start an academic fraud bounty program with prizes for the most degrees revoked!

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Kawasaki Nun posted:

I've never white knighed anyone because I hate women!!!

Cheating is bad and wrong, telling on cheaters and then posting about it is pathetic. Thinking that denying some purportedly self entitled Saudi a degree is going to do anything to improve academia is beyond delusional.

Lol at this discussion going 70 posts strong though. With the new academic year coming up maybe we can start an academic fraud bounty program with prizes for the most degrees revoked!

Hmmmm

Now, tell us your thoughts about plagiarism

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Boon posted:

Hmmmm

he did in the very post you quoted

if you can't read i sure hope you can cheat

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Boon posted:

Hmmmm

It's good enough for the final papers and academic credentials of top political appointees in TYOOL 2017. Perhaps if we keep taking current students to task for their cheating a sort of "trickle up" academic honesty will take hold at the highest levels of American society!!!

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Good point, the GOP sense of right and wrong is something everyone should aspire too. I agree.

I can feel my respect for veterans as model students slipping away

Boon fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jun 26, 2017

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Boon posted:

Good point, the GOP sense of right and wrong is something everyone should aspire too. I agree.

I can feel my respect for veterans as model students slipping away

Sounds like it couldn't have been that entrenched in the first place. Hopefully Student-veterans will be able to Sally forth even in the absence of your slipping respect

Kawasaki Nun fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jun 26, 2017

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
My experience with veteran students has not been impressive. I think they probably have a better percentage of high achievers compared to everyone else, but the turd factor on a lot of them is discouraging.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
The overwhelming majority of the (fairly few) student vets around here are Navy. :sigh:

I've met no Army guys and two Marines: one chill "give no fucks" dude and one super weird, lost marbles dude.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
i only know of two other vets at my school.

one is cool and was army commo and the other one starts every other sentence with "when i was in the corps..."

timma85
Feb 13, 2006

A Bad Poster posted:

Anyone have any experience in using your GI Bill at schools outside of the US?

When I researched schools in Europe I quickly realized the GI Bill wasn't going to cover living expenses in Western Europe. I could have lived comfortably in Eastern Europe on the GI Bill but the quality of education didn't seem to be as good as anything I'd get in the US.

Every veteran I met at community college was either a complete moron or a sperg. Once I got over to a 4 year university most of the vets seem to have their poo poo in order and actually work hard.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I never hung around the vet center. The library was quieter and had a lot more room. I guess most of the people in there were pretty alright but I wasn't going to college to hang out.

There were a few AFROTC kids who liked to talk authoritatively about stuff they know nothing about. But arguing with them wouldn't do any good so why bother.

There was a coastie in a couple of my classes who was pretty cool.

Then there was the marine from my German class who was supposed to be in our group for the final project. He showed up on the day the project got assigned, and was never seen again. Didn't respond to emails, teacher didn't know where he was, nothing. Wore a marine hat everyday and had a bunch of tattoos, a least a few of them were service related.

Edit: When I did community college there was some guy who decided to read out loud his forum response for a different class to some girl who had written something kind of anti-military. Beyond the cringe factor of him detailing how much he had owned this girl, a math class was far from the ideal setting for this.

Casimir Radon fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jun 26, 2017

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
There's only one way to stop this cheating debate:

If you're not getting a STEM degree you're wasting your time, and will never get a job after school.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Sir Lucius posted:

There's only one way to stop this cheating debate:

If you're not getting a STEM degree you're wasting your time, and will never get a job after school.

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

Casimir Radon posted:

Edit: When I did community college there was some guy who decided to read out loud his forum response for a different class to some girl who had written something kind of anti-military. Beyond the cringe factor of him detailing how much he had owned this girl, a math class was far from the ideal setting for this.

sir this is a mcdonalds drive thru

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Casimir Radon posted:

people like this are uncomfortable to witness but funny to talk about later.

he would probably hate to read gip.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A FIFTY PAGE REPORT ONTO THE DEAN OF STUDENTS DESK. ITS THE CHRONICLES OF MY CLASSMATES CHEATING AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DESCRIBING THEIR MISCHIEF WHILE THAT HIPPIE PROFESSOR LOOKS THE OTHER WAY. I NOTE EVERY INSTANCE AND I NOTE EVERY INSTANCE IN DETAIL. MAKIN ALARM SOUNDS WHEN I SHOW VIDEO OF ME CATCHING THEM OR EVEN WHEN I REPORT THEM TO THE PROFESSOR. NOT MANY CAN SAY THEY STRICTLY ENFORCED ACADEMIC INTEGRITY. I CAN. I SAY IT AND I SAY IT OUTLOUD EVERYDAY TO PEOPLE IN MY COLLEGE CLASS AND ALL THEY DO IS PROVE PEOPLE IN COLLEGE CLASS CAN STILL BE IMMATURE JERKS. AND IVE LEARNED ALL THE TRICKS AND IVE LEARNED HOW TO MAKE MYSELF FEEL MORE RELEVANT BY STUDYING EM ALL. 2 HOURS INCLUDING WIND DOWN EVERY MORNING. THEN I post about it.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
let's talk about tipping next

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Naked Bear posted:

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A FIFTY PAGE REPORT ONTO THE DEAN OF STUDENTS DESK. ITS THE CHRONICLES OF MY CLASSMATES CHEATING AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DESCRIBING THEIR MISCHIEF WHILE THAT HIPPIE PROFESSOR LOOKS THE OTHER WAY. I NOTE EVERY INSTANCE AND I NOTE EVERY INSTANCE IN DETAIL. MAKIN ALARM SOUNDS WHEN I SHOW VIDEO OF ME CATCHING THEM OR EVEN WHEN I REPORT THEM TO THE PROFESSOR. NOT MANY CAN SAY THEY STRICTLY ENFORCED ACADEMIC INTEGRITY. I CAN. I SAY IT AND I SAY IT OUTLOUD EVERYDAY TO PEOPLE IN MY COLLEGE CLASS AND ALL THEY DO IS PROVE PEOPLE IN COLLEGE CLASS CAN STILL BE IMMATURE JERKS. AND IVE LEARNED ALL THE TRICKS AND IVE LEARNED HOW TO MAKE MYSELF FEEL MORE RELEVANT BY STUDYING EM ALL. 2 HOURS INCLUDING WIND DOWN EVERY MORNING. THEN I post about it.

:golfclap:

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

hey guys circumcision is mutilation

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Finally, someone says it.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
Edit: can we talk about the minimum wage too?

There's a bunch of dudes with service shirts, lovely beards and Mollie backpacks that make up the "veteran" population at my school.

I mean, there's a bunch of us that served too, but you aren't gonna hear about it in class. Thank god I transfer to UW in the fall.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

bird cooch posted:

Edit: can we talk about the minimum wage too?

There's a bunch of dudes with service shirts, lovely beards and Mollie backpacks that make up the "veteran" population at my school.

I mean, there's a bunch of us that served too, but you aren't gonna hear about it in class. Thank god I transfer to UW in the fall.

UW Seattle? If so there's a service dog in the vet lounge

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?
Turned in my fall registration and I just had this motherfucker try to tell me bennies are pro-rated not just down to the day, but also by the full/part time percentages. Am I loving crazy, or was my barely-contained impulse to call him a liar straight to his face actually well-founded?

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

Pesticide20 posted:

UW Seattle? If so there's a service dog in the vet lounge

That's awesome.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Diarrhea Elemental posted:

Turned in my fall registration and I just had this motherfucker try to tell me bennies are pro-rated not just down to the day, but also by the full/part time percentages. Am I loving crazy, or was my barely-contained impulse to call him a liar straight to his face actually well-founded?

It's sadly true.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

bird cooch posted:

That's awesome.

Charlie is the only thing keeping me sane this summer at school while I commute from Arlington and deal with rush hour traffic.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003

It's true, but I dont think you get charged for a full month in that case.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

Pesticide20 posted:

Charlie is the only thing keeping me sane this summer at school while I commute from Arlington and deal with rush hour traffic.

Yeah, I want to pet that dog a whole bunch.

I'll be coming from out near granite, so I'll be in the same boat.

Really not looking forward to it.

bird cooch fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jun 27, 2017

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

Sir Lucius posted:

It's true, but I dont think you get charged for a full month in that case.

Yeah I found out the hard way that GI bill benefits on a one-fourth credit load are both pathetically small and also still count 1:1 for days used.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

Zeris posted:

Yeah I found out the hard way that GI bill benefits on a one-fourth credit load are both pathetically small and also still count 1:1 for days used.

Yeah that's what I was calling bullshit about. I knew about the day to day prorate, but he was talking like 8 credits would only burn a certain percentage of a benefit month.

And this is why you never trust a ginger.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Yeah that's what I was calling bullshit about. I knew about the day to day prorate, but he was talking like 8 credits would only burn a certain percentage of a benefit month.

And this is why you never trust a ginger.
8 credits is short of 3/4 time so you would only fet 1/2 time pay, and you'd burn however many months you went to school.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
I thought they changed that policy towards a pro-rated utilization for half time students? That's what my veterans affairs office told me

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Kawasaki Nun posted:

I thought they changed that policy towards a pro-rated utilization for half time students? That's what my veterans affairs office told me
It still worked that way a couple years ago. I specifically decided not to use any GI Bill this last semester because I was going half time and figured it would be better to save it for grad school, whenever that may be.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
My summer class is 2.5 months, but my VA letter said I will have 35 months and 10 days remaining after the semester. I'm using Montgomery GI bill for reference, with a monthly rate of 307.97.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

you receive benefits for each day you are in school

you get charged for each day you are in school

i will be getting 2/30ths of my usual GI Bill on September 1st because I will be in school for two days in August.

i will be using up two days of benefits in August.

if you want to figure out your pay for a month that is prorated, do your GI Bill BAH amount divided by 30, and multiply it by the number of days you are in school that month.

So if you are in school for two days and you get $3000 BAH, $3000/30 = 100 * 2 = $200 payment for that month.

i have no idea if this is how it works for part time but this is how it works for full time and i can't imagine it's that much different for part time.

boop the snoot fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Jun 27, 2017

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Well in stupid student news, I quit my job today and have a month and a half until Law school starts up. Gonna hit a lengthy camping trip on my way out west and maybe ask for my gf to marry me. I figure listless and unemployed is as good a way to kick things off as any

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Well in stupid student news, I quit my job today and have a month and a half until Law school starts up. Gonna hit a lengthy camping trip on my way out west and maybe ask for my gf to marry me. I figure listless and unemployed is as good a way to kick things off as any
Knock her up to seal the deal.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Casimir Radon posted:

Knock her up to seal the deal.

That's some top shelf stupidity but sadly her birth control has taken all of the spontenaity out of impregnation :sever: :sever:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Gotta start off with nothing to be sure of the foundation.

Where are you starting from? I've done the coast to coast east to west the high way, the low way and starting in Texas. There's tons of great places that normally aren't on people's maps.