Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Trabisnikof posted:

Government run healthcare. It will be like social security except for surgeries and emergency room visits instead of checks.

Yet in this country healthcare is a *business* and there's money to be made from your death and suffering. And since people dying is a pretty sure thing unless you're Dick Cheney or Peter Thiel, obscenely wealthy corporations and people (which, as we know, are the same thing :downs:) are heavily invested into it and stand to lose billions if US healthcare is ever made single-payer.

"Paws up, don't shoot!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Boon posted:

Nah, his time at the Hanoi Hilton is a pretty good example of leadership in captivity. But I know you're being intentionally obtuse so

Huh. Really. I wonder why he lost all his courage and ability to stand up to people once he got out of the jungle and got into politics.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Bishounen Bonanza posted:

Huh. Really. I wonder why he lost all his courage and ability to stand up to people once he got out of the jungle and got into politics.

Nah, it was when he lost to W and realized his path to success was following the party's orthodoxy and only pretending to rebel against it

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

I'd be ok if McCain died of stroke, internal bleed, or whatever else gets classified as "died to being old."

Or he retire whatever.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Mustached Demon posted:

I'd be ok if McCain died of stroke, internal bleed, or whatever else gets classified as "died to being old."

Or he retire whatever.

We don't get that pleasure until 2022. It's little solace, but at least Trump's speaking in tongues isn't religiously-motivated. McCain being under the 'stress' of just being a GOP senator has seemingly rotted his squash - he'd almost certainly have shuffled loose the mortal coil during his probable two terms in office because Americans are dumb, and we'd have had Palin as a terrifyingly unfunny real life version of Julia-Louis Dreyfus' "Veep."

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
If Assad is willing to launch another chemical attack doesn't that mean the time we bombed Syria was essentially pointless? Why should bombing another empty airbase sufficiently threaten him this time?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Internet Kraken posted:

If Assad is willing to launch another chemical attack doesn't that mean the time we bombed Syria was essentially pointless? Why should bombing another empty airbase sufficiently threaten him this time?

It shouldn't/wouldn't - it'd just make Raytheon really happy.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Not that this matters, but what is it about the Senate bill that the HFC doesn't like? Only changed detail I heard was about the waiting period stuff I think. Is that what they're making a fuss about?

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Ventana posted:

Not that this matters, but what is it about the Senate bill that the HFC doesn't like? Only changed detail I heard was about the waiting period stuff I think. Is that what they're making a fuss about?

It's a fake out. If the Senate gop thinks it will just fail in the house, they can vote yes and keep their peers happy without worrying about being held responsible when it takes effect.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

The Glumslinger posted:

Nah, it was when he lost to W and realized his path to success was following the party's orthodoxy and only pretending to rebel against it

He never tried to rebel against the orthodoxy before then either. There is no basis in actions for that Maverick BS.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Lemming posted:

Yeah, the reason it didn't pass with a supermajority is because we have shitheads like Glazer who is fundamentally against single payer and will never vote for it under any circumstances. How is that not an indictment of lovely Dems? My entire point is that we need to get rid of the people who are holding back progress, and you somehow think that means that the shitheads are the good guys.

What about Glazer do you know that has proven to you he actually wants single payer? I've spoken to him one on one. He's a poo poo liar and has pulled every "I agree with you but" argument on every progressive issue as a reason to vote against it.

Bad Dems are poo poo and it's partially their fault things aren't better. That's what makes them poo poo. The poo poo ones vote against single payer. You're trying to turn this into some fourth dimensional maneuver but really none of these people are that smart or good at politics.

... so how are you pissed at the Assembly? SB562 was an empty nonfunctional bill, passed solely so that the senators could say they wrote and voted for Single Payer. Lara and Atkins chose to grandstand rather than ride the momentum of the convention to force Glazer et.al to vote on something real. The Assembly doesn't have the ability to make showvotes on fake legislation, so Rendon wasn't able to take the easy out the senators did. There is zero reason that the senators couldn't put together real legislation rather than try to make the Assembly do their job for them. If they'd like Rendon to workshop a bill that can become law, perhaps they should start by giving him a bill that can pass the Senate?

Turtlicious posted:

What is single payer? Like how do I explain it to people?

You know Medicare? Like that, but for everybody It may be more complex than this, but it's really not polite to discuss that
In imgur form: http://imgur.com/gallery/zmelc

With more detail: The progressive goal is to provide Universal Health Care, which is exactly what it sounds like: Everyone receives healthcare, regardless of ability to pay. To achieve this goal, counties can choose a single payer system (wherein the Government pays for medical care, akin to Canada or the UK's NHS) or a multipayer system (not unlike Germany, where a basic level of insurance is mandated-and managed by nonprofits-but those wishing to spend more can purchase private insurance instead). Single payer is typically considered to be less expensive, but would require a thorough reordering of the healthcare industry (~1/6th of the economy) and also knock the bulk of the nation off of a system of coverage they're happy with. Obamacare's stillborn Public Option was widely considered a backdoor into eventual single payer, the thought being that the government plans would provide better coverage at a lower cost since the profit motive would be eliminated.

Ventana posted:

Reads as typical Tortilla Coast negotiation style: They believe that they have leverage in a conference committee, because they can walk away but moderates can't. If it gets to committee, it gets there with moderate votes. Those moderates are already going to be getting pummeled from the left and center whether they vote for the final version or not. If they walk away from conference or vote against the result, they'll be getting killed from the right as well. Meanwhile, gerrymandering leaves the conservatives free to walk away if the bill isn't harsh enough... which means they have Ryan over a barrel.

I believe that the angst over the MTP is Johnson, Collins, etc recognizing their bind and trying to kill it early.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Paracaidas posted:

... so how are you pissed at the Assembly? SB562 was an empty nonfunctional bill, passed solely so that the senators could say they wrote and voted for Single Payer. Lara and Atkins chose to grandstand rather than ride the momentum of the convention to force Glazer et.al to vote on something real. The Assembly doesn't have the ability to make showvotes on fake legislation, so Rendon wasn't able to take the easy out the senators did. There is zero reason that the senators couldn't put together real legislation rather than try to make the Assembly do their job for them. If they'd like Rendon to workshop a bill that can become law, perhaps they should start by giving him a bill that can pass the Senate?

Why wouldn't I be pissed at the assembly? Any lawmaker in a state with millions of uninsured and the highest poverty rate in the nation who isn't working actively and tirelessly to implement universal health care is a disgrace. You seem to be thinking that I'm arguing the bill shouldn't be better; it absolutely should be, but the way forward isn't to throw it away and start over, it's to work on it and make it better.

And if this was the fastest way to force someone like Glazer to vote against healthcare and show his true colors then good job, now we can start putting the screws to that piece of poo poo. If nothing was going to pass anyway because he was voting against everything then it makes your point that actually, the people introducing it are bad kind of dumb, because it's sounding more and more effective to me!

Shine that light on the cockroaches

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Ventana posted:

I think, 100%, that it is either an attempt to say "let's bury this thing and move on, it isn't getting good press and pisses off our voters, we won't pass it away" OR "yes, senator, vote for it...yes, it will die in the house, senator, yes...just put your name here and give us your sou--I mean, vote."

vaginadeathgrip
Jun 18, 2003

all them bitches can't handle my sassy ass mouth

Gross. GROSS.

Hastings
Dec 30, 2008

KickerOfMice posted:

I've said before that Zuckerberg has all the charisma of a filthy manhole cover and I stand by it.

Excuse you sir, manhole covers have a purpose and serve the community. How dare you insult them like this?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I keep picturing Mconnel as a Kappa with a pool of the poor's blood on his head.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
If you're over 70 you should be banned from holding office. We've got this poo poo all backwards. Old fucks who don't give a poo poo about ruining people because they're gonna be dead in a few years anyways should not have a say in anything.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Covok posted:

I think, 100%, that it is either an attempt to say "let's bury this thing and move on, it isn't getting good press and pisses off our voters, we won't pass it away"

They don't want to bury it and move on. There are probably plenty of Republicans that wish this could all just go away, but they literally need this to push through any other part of their agenda (ie, tax "reform"). If the AHCA dies then Republicans will go into 2018 without a single legislative accomplishment under their belts, and the pressure for tax cuts is coming from people who actually pay attention.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The reason McCain was thought of as a Maverick was because there was this weird period of time in the early 2000s when George W Bush was president, and it feels like he would always be president and had always been president. And McCain ran against him and stood up to him!!! What do you mean that was before George W Bush was president? I'm sorry I think you're mistaken, W has always been president and always will be.

People like, say, Mitt aren't getting this same treatment now because even though Donald Trump is president, everytime you see him you think "This man was never elected president. He'll never be president and also his presidency will be over soon." That and how every Republican who ran against him had bent the knee and kissed the ring in the most public and humiliating way possible.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Paradoxish posted:

They don't want to bury it and move on. There are probably plenty of Republicans that wish this could all just go away, but they literally need this to push through any other part of their agenda (ie, tax "reform"). If the AHCA dies then Republicans will go into 2018 without a single legislative accomplishment under their belts, and the pressure for tax cuts is coming from people who actually pay attention.

Isn't there literally a tax bill they could be working on to put those tax cuts in?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Isn't there literally a tax bill they could be working on to put those tax cuts in?

They intend to pass that via reconciliation, and due to the arcane and eldridge rules that govern reconciliation, they need the spending cuts from the AHCA to use for those future tax cuts

Basically, they are stuck on this insane path because they decided to give up on trying to get enough democrats to reach cloture before they started, so they are basically pulling out dusty tomes to figure out how to pass poo poo without having to just explicitly nuke the filibuster

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/06/26/republicans-obamacare-repeal-votes-239984

quote:

Republicans in the White House and in Congress were pleasantly surprised that the bill included more savings than they expected — and are trying to figure out if they can dole it out for votes.

The Senate has about $188 billion to play with.

"Think of the money we can save the American people by throwing everyone off insurance. That we will spend on Senate pork barrel projects to get them to pass it."

The Zero Sum Death Panel bill.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin...m=.2fd6ca76de6e

quote:

Plenty of other news is vying for attention. President Trump spent Monday morning venting on Twitter about how President Barack Obama did “NOTHING about Russia” and its election meddling — despite Trump’s frequent claims that the whole Russia controversy is “fake news” and a Democratic Party “hoax.” The Supreme Court has agreed to rule on Trump’s travel ban, which lower courts have deemed unconstitutional; and to decide whether business owners who claim religious objections to same-sex marriage can refuse to provide goods or services for gay couples’ weddings.

Useful comparison by Never-Trumper Bruce Bartlett:

quote:

Anyone who ever read Sinclair Lewis’ “It Can’t Happen Here,” which imagined a fascist dictator taking power in 1930s America, recognizes that Trump is the real-life embodiment of Senator Buzz Windrip—a know-nothing populist who becomes president by promising something for everyone, with no clue or concern for how to actually accomplish it. Windrip was “vulgar, almost illiterate, a public liar easily detected, and in his ‘ideas’ almost idiotic,” Lewis wrote. “Certainly there was nothing exhilarating in the actual words of his speeches, nor anything convincing in his philosophy. His political platforms were only the wings of a windmill.”

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2017/06/24/intellectual-conservatives-lost-republican-trump-215259

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Tax cuts will only happen through reconciliation, which means those cuts have to be revenue neutral. They're using the AHCA as an excuse to cut spending in order to then reduce revenue later.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Raylen posted:

Man, I'm sure this will be good for our country that our military is so confused by even the President's own statements.

I'm curious, what's the military's option of trump lately? do the people stationed in qatar absolutely hate him yet?

repeating
Nov 14, 2005
Today in FAKE NEWS news:

3 CNN Journalists Resign After Retracted Story on Trump Ally

quote:

The article — linking Anthony Scaramucci, a hedge-fund manager and Trump confidant, to a Russian investment fund supposedly being investigated by the Senate — was removed from CNN.com late last week after the network decided it could not fully stand by its reporting.

The resignations are a black eye at a sensitive moment for the news organization, which has emerged as a regular target of Mr. Trump and his supporters. The president relishes dismissing the network’s coverage as “fake news,” and his closest advisers have accused the channel of harboring a bias against Mr. Trump.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/26/business/3-cnn-journalists-resign-after-retracted-story-on-trump-ally.html

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I would like to see a D&D without any of these troubling insults toward McCain's military service. But if you think that means I'm not going to join in immediately, then sorry that's not the way these things work.

gently caress John McCain, ship him to Vietnam and put him back in that hole.

This is the worst day in the history of D&D, we will all regret my having said that sending McCain back to America was the real war crime against the USA.

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock
Listen, McCain is my senator, so I think I have the right to say that he's a two faced do-nothing piece of poo poo

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Ginette Reno posted:

If you're over 70 you should be banned from holding office. We've got this poo poo all backwards. Old fucks who don't give a poo poo about ruining people because they're gonna be dead in a few years anyways should not have a say in anything.

Whatever you do, don't look up how old Bernie Sanders is.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Shifty Pony posted:

Manhole covers fit in though

Wooooow.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

dont even fink about it posted:

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/06/26/republicans-obamacare-repeal-votes-239984

"Think of the money we can save the American people by throwing everyone off insurance. That we will spend on Senate pork barrel projects to get them to pass it."

This might clinch it. With 200B in savings, they could cut taxes lile crazy and remain revenue neutral. With the big push from donors, they might go through with it for the money.

Not saying it will happen, but it's important to discuss the facts.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Turtlicious posted:

What is single payer? Like how do I explain it to people?

Look at your paystub. It's got a number on it for Med Tax Withheld. That number is the premium for Medicare, health insurance for old people. Now imagine if you could get that insurance now, by paying a bit more in Medicare tax, but that's cheaper overall since it would replace other, more expensive health insurances.

That's how I'd sell it, at least.

(that's public option insurance, which is more realistic for the US than single player. Single payer is when the government owns all the hospitals, too)

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

KickerOfMice posted:

I've said before that Zuckerberg has all the charisma of a filthy manhole cover and I stand by it.

Legend has it that if you chant "Zuckerberg!" three times in front of a monitor, Fulchrum comes back to haunt the thread.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Jun 27, 2017

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Legend has it that if you chant "Zuckerberg!" three times in front of a monitor, Fulcrum comes back to to haunt the thread.

Zuckerberg! ZUCKERBERG! ZUCKERBERG!

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Zuckerberg! ZUCKERBERG! ZUCKERBERG!

You fool! What have you done!?

*gets dragged screaming by undead hands down a crack formed in the earth*

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos
I saw that it was May 22 that Trump said he never mentioned Israel to the Russians, just over a month. It seems like a year.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

trickybiscuits posted:

I saw that it was May 22 that Trump said he never mentioned Israel to the Russians, just over a month. It seems like a year.

It's like in civilization where time slows as turn count increases.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

karma_coma posted:

Always wondered why felons cant vote. Even if youre in jail you should be able to vote.

If you don't like it, you can always move to Canada (where they can).

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Man, it feels like a decade but the inauguration was only last week. Can you believe it was only yesterday Trump was small-time discriminating against blacks in his apartments, and in a single day he's aged 40 years and become president? I remember earlier today I lost all my money on PredictIt for Hillary's election, but somehow I haven't starved to death yet. Can someone remind me what time? There's no such thing. The travel ban is back after ages in courts, but the horrible and complicated war the refugees are fleeing barely changes, probably, who's paying attention. My coworker complains about "the Muslim girls", our other coworkers, and my disapproving response hasn't stopped it. There are three new cashiers every week, but only the immigrants and the bigots seem to stick around. How many weeks was that? I need to quit before I've been here two years. I only applied because I heard this place offered health insurance to part time employees. They don't anymore. God bless America.

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Jun 27, 2017

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

FuturePastNow posted:

Look at your paystub. It's got a number on it for Med Tax Withheld. That number is the premium for Medicare, health insurance for old people. Now imagine if you could get that insurance now, by paying a bit more in Medicare tax, but that's cheaper overall since it would replace other, more expensive health insurances.

That's how I'd sell it, at least.

(that's public option insurance, which is more realistic for the US than single player. Single payer is when the government owns all the hospitals, too)

No it's not, single payer just refers to the idea that there's only one entity (the government) paying the people who provide the care (doctors, hospitals). The care providers are not controlled by the government.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

repeating posted:

Today in FAKE NEWS news:

3 CNN Journalists Resign After Retracted Story on Trump Ally

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/26/business/3-cnn-journalists-resign-after-retracted-story-on-trump-ally.html

I saw Tommy Vietor post on Twitter that the stuff in this article is still very much true and that the journalists resigning is bullshit (not that it didn't happen, but that it shouldn't have had to happen). My guess is that somewhere down the line we'll see these guys be vindicated and get a nice job somewhere else. CNN has some individual journalists doing good work (shouts to Tapper, Cooper, Acosta and others) but Jeff Zucker is a loving pussy who fired Reza Aslan for speaking the truth on twitter and should gently caress off back to network television where he belongs. (Vietor has also been Twitter-yelling at the WHPC for rolling over while the White House cuts press access and briefings)

Sean Hannity, meanwhile, is accusing CNN of asking those journalists for their resignation and giving them money, which Sean out of everyone should know only happens if you're a top host or executive who can't stop sexually harassing/assaulting women.

• Locked thread