Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...

Perestroika posted:

Consider Lübeck instead, Kiel's far more handsome little sibling. Same temperate weather, really beautiful historical old town, and all the marzipan you could ever want. Only downside is that it's, like, super tiny. :haw:

I'm from dowtown Lübeck and when my girlfriend first visited her reaction was "you grew up in a postcard".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

GaussianCopula posted:

In my opinion you should name streets after people that

a) have some connection to the street or city
b) are easy to write
c) are worthy of being honored with a street name

You should, unless in cases where the person was a criminal or all around bad person, not rename streets. I like the solution that was used in Berlin before this where they just changed the person being honored without renaming the street by saying "we now mean a different Peters" because it means the bad name is gone without messing with the street name on addresses and stuff.
I dunno. Why not name streets after some African queen for a change? Most of your streets are gonna follow a) and at least some b) and c) already. Why not have one named "Nzinga von Matamba-Str."?

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

GaussianCopula posted:

In my opinion you should name streets after people that

a) have some connection to the street or city
b) are easy to write
c) are worthy of being honored with a street name

You should, unless in cases where the person was a criminal or all around bad person, not rename streets. I like the solution that was used in Berlin before this where they just changed the person being honored without renaming the street by saying "we now mean a different Peters" because it means the bad name is gone without messing with the street name on addresses and stuff.

Jesus Christ, GC is making a good post

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Cingulate posted:

I dunno. Why not name streets after some African queen for a change? Most of your streets are gonna follow a) and at least some b) and c) already. Why not have one named "Nzinga von Matamba-Str."?

Because

a) She was not a nice person.
b) She has no connection to Berlin or even Germany.
c) Her name is not easily spelled

I don't see why there has to be a street names after an African queen in Berlin - just like I don't think cities in Ghana have to have a Adenauer Street.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Just follow Mannheim's example and number them so you get A3 and D4 and poo poo. This may require some adaptation in cities that aren't Mannheim but where there's a will there's a way.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

GaussianCopula posted:

I don't see why there has to be a street names after an African queen in Berlin - just like I don't think cities in Ghana have to have a Adenauer Street.

Barring this one incidence where the committee maybe could have picked someone better, I don't see why there couldn't be. Or would you rather Wedding kept its streets-named-after-former-German-colonies-in-Africa as a reminder of Germany's "gentle" history of colonialism?

vvvv Lübeck owns.

Drone fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Jun 26, 2017

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Bistromatic posted:

I'm from dowtown Lübeck and when my girlfriend first visited her reaction was "you grew up in a postcard".

Yeah, I've been living here for a while now, and I'm still occasionally struck by just how incredibly quaint this place is. And hey, one advantage of the fairly small size is that you can get to anywhere important within just 10 minutes on foot. :allears:

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Hmmmmm, I wonder why GC thinks naming streets after Hindenburg is cool, but naming streets after an African Queen would be not cool. Quite the mystery we have at hand here.

I love the idea of never renaming streets though. Because it means the inevitable Helmut-Kohl-Straßen will all be some lovely small road in a random Neubaugebiet.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Agree, Lübeck is the prettiest.

GaussianCopula posted:

Because

a) She was not a nice person.
b) She has no connection to Berlin or even Germany.
c) Her name is not easily spelled

I personally don't see why a) and b) should matter; c) might reasonably be seen as a benefit - it's easily recognizable.
I wouldn't mind if some city in Ghana had an Adenauer Street. Why not?

I mean, you feel street names should have some sort of local origin. Ok, I guess most people would say most street names should have a local origin. But why shouldn't a few have different origins, beyond "I feel they shouldn't have"?

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

If your streets are named after anything other than "town in whose direction they point" and "notable thing on this street" like Kirch- Haupt- or Hafenstraße, Am Bach, Am Berg etc., sorry bout you living in a poor neighborhood

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
It's the contrast that does it.

Hafenstraße, Am Bach, Nzinga von Matamba-Str., Kirchstraße, Friedrichshain

(Yeah Hafenstraße is right next to Am Bach in this city)

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Cingulate posted:

Agree, Lübeck is the prettiest.

I personally don't see why a) and b) should matter; c) might reasonably be seen as a benefit - it's easily recognizable.
I wouldn't mind if some city in Ghana had an Adenauer Street. Why not?

I mean, you feel street names should have some sort of local origin. Ok, I guess most people would say most street names should have a local origin. But why shouldn't a few have different origins, beyond "I feel they shouldn't have"?

Would you want a street named after a warlord who poisoned their sibling and traded in slaves and collaborated with different European powers to stay in power?

Probably not.

The fact that she is female and black should not change that.

Drone posted:

Barring this one incidence where the committee maybe could have picked someone better, I don't see why there couldn't be. Or would you rather Wedding kept its streets-named-after-former-German-colonies-in-Africa as a reminder of Germany's "gentle" history of colonialism?

The people actually living in that quarter have made a list of constructive proposals that would have solved the the problem of having streets named after questionable people (this Nachtigal person seems to actually have been rather decent but whatever)

quote:

Anwohner hatten 2011 die Initiative Pro Afrikanisches Viertel (IPAV) gegründet, um Straßenumbenennungen zu verhindern. Die IPAV hatte Tausende Unterschriften gegen die geforderte Umbenennung gesammelt und 2016 Kompromissvorschläge gemacht: Der Nachtigalplatz solle wie bei der Petersallee umgewidmet werden und statt wie bisher dem Kolonialpolitiker Gustav Nachtigal dem Theologen und Schriftsteller Johann Karl Christoph Nachtigal gewidmet werden. Die Lüderitzstraße soll nicht mehr Adolf Lüderitz gewidmet sein, sondern der nach ihm benannten Hafenstadt Lüderitz, so die Idee.

GaussianCopula fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Jun 26, 2017

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

GaussianCopula posted:

Would you want a street named after a warlord who poisoned their sibling and traded in slaves and collaborated with different European powers to stay in power?

Probably not.

The fact that she is female and black should not change that.
I guess for most people, this would be bad because street names are considered as praise, but to me, considering many streets are named after quite awful people, that's not really the case - I think street names are just names that remind us of people, and it's good to be reminded of bad people. So no, I wouldn't mind that. Call a street Genghis Khan Street, call it Voldemort Street for all I care - not to celebrate them, but to remind us of what humans are capable of.

I particularly wouldn't care if the person was not associated with the city. Don't need to restrict the Genghis Kahn Street name to cities that have been sacked by the Mongols!

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I hope that if any city has a road that's terrible in every way but council can't touch it because it brings so much traffic into town, they have the good sense to call it Martensteinstraße.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
best streetnames are obv in Hamburg :colbert:

Ole Enn, Lütt Kollau, Ophagen :allears:

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

Cingulate posted:

I guess for most people, this would be bad because street names are considered as praise, but to me, considering many streets are named after quite awful people, that's not really the case - I think street names are just names that remind us of people, and it's good to be reminded of bad people. So no, I wouldn't mind that. Call a street Genghis Khan Street, call it Voldemort Street for all I care - not to celebrate them, but to remind us of what humans are capable of.

I particularly wouldn't care if the person was not associated with the city. Don't need to restrict the Genghis Kahn Street name to cities that have been sacked by the Mongols!

In that case, why rename streets that are named after people responsible for the German colonial history?

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

GaussianCopula posted:

In that case, why rename streets that are named after people responsible for the German colonial history?
Well, I have to admit, I see a good point against it: it makes some people very angry to do so.
You'd think it's no big deal - just something you do and that's it. But no, it's A Thing.

Slightly more seriously: if all our streets are named after German guys with ortsbezug, one could get the impression street names are in fact always celebratory, and particularly that they're there to celebrate German dudes.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
scrollte gerade mal bei spon runter und musste herzlich lachen:

voodoo dog
Jun 6, 2001

Gun Saliva

Goa Tse-tung posted:

best streetnames are obv in Hamburg :colbert:

Ole Enn, Lütt Kollau, Ophagen :allears:
Rutschbahn

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Wilhelmsburger Reichsstraße

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Ich würde vorschlagen, Straßen- und Plätze ausschließlich nach Tieren zu benennen, um zartbesaitete Sozen und Lehramtsstudenten nicht emotional zu zerrütten.

Hier sind schonmal genug Beispiele für einen Kiez:

Tigerallee
Pantherplatz
Löwenallee
Mausgasse
Marderstraße
Windhundgasse
Pumaplatz
Flamingoallee
Fuchsstraße
Dachsgasse
Wieseleck
Biberstraße
Leguanallee
Büffelstraße

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
just rename everything after dogs, because dogs are the best :shittydog:

also jail everyone who disagrees, because as doghaters they probably would have committed some serious crime down the road anyway

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Fuchskusuweg

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Randler posted:

Ich würde vorschlagen, Straßen- und Plätze ausschließlich nach Tieren zu benennen, um zartbesaitete Sozen und Lehramtsstudenten nicht emotional zu zerrütten.
In this case the offended party is GC ..?

Also why not Tyrannosaurusstraße

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Cingulate posted:

In this case the offended party is GC ..?

Also why not Tyrannosaurusstraße

According to threadlore, GaussianCopula could certainly tell you why no Tyrannosaurusstraße was mentioned. :v:

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Pinguinweg wäre wirklich bezaubernd. Ok ich bin überzeugt. Großartige Lösung.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

When they run out of animal names, GC would probably be more than happy to take an apartment on PzKpfw38(t)-Straße :downs:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Drone posted:

When they run out of animal names, GC would probably be more than happy to take an apartment on PzKpfw38(t)-Straße :downs:

Luckily this will never happen, the amount of available animal names is titanic. By the way, I call dibs on the Portia-Gasse. I'm tired of living in a street named like some dudes abducted a bishop long ago and got this dumb street named after them.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Randler posted:

According to threadlore, GaussianCopula could certainly tell you why no Tyrannosaurusstraße was mentioned. :v:
:downs:

aphid_licker posted:

Pinguinweg wäre wirklich bezaubernd. Ok ich bin überzeugt. Großartige Lösung.
:downs:

I'd still like Tyrannosaurusstraße

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Drone posted:

There is a Panzerwiese in northern Munich and I have no idea why it's called that way. It's also something like 97% rabbit and sheep poo poo by weight; worst Wiese ever 0/10

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Cingulate posted:

I'd still like Tyrannosaurusstraße

poo poo, I'd like to live there too

Gasoline
Jul 31, 2008

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

There is a Panzerwiese in northern Munich and I have no idea why it's called that way.

The military used to do stuff there

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Drone posted:

Aren't you are wargamer and therefore would be very happy to live there, too? Or would you (like me) prefer the StuG-Straße?

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
Ich warte für den supermarkt zu eröffnen.

This is my second time in Germany. What are some of the big social political problems facing the country currently? Are there nationwide problems or can anyone tell me specific problems with NRW?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

I wanna live on Froschkönigstr.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Bedshaped posted:

Ich warte für den supermarkt zu eröffnen.

This is my second time in Germany. What are some of the big social political problems facing the country currently? Are there nationwide problems or can anyone tell me specific problems with NRW?

"Ich warte darauf, dass der Supermarkt öffnet."

Welcome to Germany. Big problems will depend on whom you ask. As a left wing person I'd say it's stagnating wages, our severely underpayed and understaffed nurses and the right-wing backlash against our refugee policy. A rightwinger will tell you it's immigrants. Can't really tell you anything NRW specific, but we have people from there in the chat IIRC. How long are you staying? :coffeepal:

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Bedshaped posted:

Are there nationwide problems or can anyone tell me specific problems with NRW?

NRW ist selbst ein Problem meiner bescheidenen Meinung nach. Hoffe das hilft.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

botany posted:

How long are you staying? :coffeepal:

Until Thursday. After that, possibly the rest of my life.

Sereri posted:

NRW ist selbst ein Problem meiner bescheidenen Meinung nach. Hoffe das hilft.

Dein Gehirn geht nicht.

breadshaped fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Jun 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Bedshaped posted:

Until Thursday. After that, possibly the rest of my life.

Scoping the place out before relocating for work?

If you're a UK citizen, the Brexit negotiations will have just as much importance for your here as they would at home. Though I think the chances of the German government just abandoning UK citizens living here are extremely low.