Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
At this point in The Pandorica Opens / The Big Bang finale Amy was dead, Rory was a plastic robot, River was trapped in a time loop, the Doctor was imprisoned, and the universe had exploded.

I'm not that worried about Bill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhYIvOJ3i_4

Well, I heard Bill's normal voice, so I guess she gets fixed at some point

Vinylshadow fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Jun 27, 2017

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Vinylshadow posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhYIvOJ3i_4

Well, I heard Bill's normal voice, so I guess she gets fixed at some point

(trailer spoiler?) We also see her lying in bed non-converted around the twenty second mark

Are next episode trailers considered spoilers in this thread?

EDIT: Answered my own question with the OP. They are.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jun 27, 2017

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Doctor Spaceman posted:

At this point in The Pandorica Opens / The Big Bang finale Amy was dead, Rory was a plastic robot, River was trapped in a time loop, the Doctor was imprisoned, and the universe had exploded.

I'm not that worried about Bill.

At this point in series 9 Clara had died outright one episode previously, this is nothing

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

In addition to being converted Bill also has a giant hole in her torso. Heart, lungs, spine, esophagus all have a significant chunk just gone. Though I suppose that isn't a long-term problem, since at one point Nardole was just a head.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)
What do you think Missy's arc is going to be like?

I don't think it is going to be straight redemption, or only her being totally evil. I think it might settle into her being kind of an amoral trickster, or kind of a sinister but not evil mastermind.

Really kind of returning it to the status quo of the Master's first season.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Finally caught up with everything. Empress of Mars and Eaters of Light were both bog-standard and nearly put me to sleep, with the ridiculous "NASA" from Mars' intro being the only standout. World Enough... is the first episode this season that really feels like a genuinely great episode. That's not to say this season hasn't been entertaining, but unless they completely botch the landing (always a possibility with this show), I have a feeling WE&T will end up as this season's Heaven Sent.

I follow the spoiler thread, so I'd seen the sockheads and Mondasian Cybermen months ago in set leaks and I was unsure the designs would work in 2017. Glad to see I was wrong and that they were genuinely unsettling. As always, lighting and cinematography make all the difference.

JessKay
Oct 16, 2011

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Finally caught up with everything. Empress of Mars and Eaters of Light were both bog-standard and nearly put me to sleep, with the ridiculous "NASA" from Mars' intro being the only standout. World Enough... is the first episode this season that really feels like a genuinely great episode. That's not to say this season hasn't been entertaining, but unless they completely botch the landing (always a possibility with this show), I have a feeling WE&T will end up as this season's Heaven Sent.

I follow the spoiler thread, so I'd seen the sockheads and Mondasian Cybermen months ago in set leaks and I was unsure the designs would work in 2017. Glad to see I was wrong and that they were genuinely unsettling. As always, lighting and cinematography make all the difference.

Yeah, I'm genuinely impressed by how much creepiness they pulled out of so few changes (and not even intentional ones, it's just that they couldn't *quite* get the exact original processes down for costuming/etc.), considering how poorly the original appearances have aged on that front.

Hell, even the sing-song-y voice basically works! (Though in fairness we also only got a handful of lines with the full effect, since Bill's the only "full" conversion to have been on screen yet - though if you count the prototype voiceboxes, "PAIN. PAIN. PAIN." alone would make it work.)

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Tbh I thought "kill me kill me" was going a bit too far for the creepy atmosphere, though I quite liked the later "die me die me"

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

2house2fly posted:

"die me die me"

"The me, the me" :pseudo:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I thought it was "tie me" and he was holding out his hands to be tied up for some reason.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

For any other faults they might have, Big Finish long ago proved to me that the original Cybermen voices can be really, really, really creepy.

Mind Loving Owl
Sep 5, 2012

The regeneration is failing! Hooooo...

Astroman posted:

I thought it was "tie me" and he was holding out his hands to be tied up for some reason.

Hey, what the qliphothic cyborg does on its own time is none of our business.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

So, inspired by the last episode, I decided to go back and watch The Tenth Planet. I'm two episodes in, and it always takes me by surprise just how much fun the Hartnell era was even when he's clearly barely healthy enough to play the role any more.

The Cybermens' attitude of "listenyouIIIIIIdiots, quitWASTINGtimeandletUSSSSSSShelpyou" (for certain values of 'help') is wonderful, but the General's attitude toward the Doctor is almost as much fun, particularly given the later Doctors' tendency to wander into situations like that and just take charge. That scene where the Doctor launches into "Oh, well millions of years ago there was this plan-" "OH gently caress OFF" made me laugh way too hard.

I'm probably going to go through and take in a Cybermen story for each Doctor (video or audio) where that's possible. Question. Since I've seen Tomb quite a few times (and I love it, don't get me wrong), which is the best of the remaining Troughton Cybermen stories? (I don't mind reconstructions or just listening to soundtracks, obviously.) I'm thinking Invasion, since I've not seen that one.

For the record: I know Three only has like one audio that features them, Four I'll probably watch Revenge, Five will obviously be Spare Parts (sorry Adric, I'll leave watching Sarah Sutton giggle at your death scene for another day), not sure about Six, Seven or Eight yet, War, is there even anything, Nine I guess there just isn't an option so I'll probably watch Dalek again on the grounds that there's a Cyberman's head in it, Ten will probably be The Next Doctor (which I know not everyone loves but which I adore), and Eleven...eh, probably Closing Time.

This post brought to you by some dumb insomnia.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

docbeard posted:

So, inspired by the last episode, I decided to go back and watch The Tenth Planet. I'm two episodes in, and it always takes me by surprise just how much fun the Hartnell era was even when he's clearly barely healthy enough to play the role any more.

The Cybermens' attitude of "listenyouIIIIIIdiots, quitWASTINGtimeandletUSSSSSSShelpyou" (for certain values of 'help') is wonderful, but the General's attitude toward the Doctor is almost as much fun, particularly given the later Doctors' tendency to wander into situations like that and just take charge. That scene where the Doctor launches into "Oh, well millions of years ago there was this plan-" "OH gently caress OFF" made me laugh way too hard.

I'm probably going to go through and take in a Cybermen story for each Doctor (video or audio) where that's possible. Question. Since I've seen Tomb quite a few times (and I love it, don't get me wrong), which is the best of the remaining Troughton Cybermen stories? (I don't mind reconstructions or just listening to soundtracks, obviously.) I'm thinking Invasion, since I've not seen that one.

For the record: I know Three only has like one audio that features them, Four I'll probably watch Revenge, Five will obviously be Spare Parts (sorry Adric, I'll leave watching Sarah Sutton giggle at your death scene for another day), not sure about Six, Seven or Eight yet, War, is there even anything, Nine I guess there just isn't an option so I'll probably watch Dalek again on the grounds that there's a Cyberman's head in it, Ten will probably be The Next Doctor (which I know not everyone loves but which I adore), and Eleven...eh, probably Closing Time.

This post brought to you by some dumb insomnia.

For 7 I'd go with The Harvest. It's probably one of my favourite 7 stories overall. Silver Nemesis could be pretty much any Who villain in it, they don't really do anything particularly Cybermanny, so I wouldn't bother.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

docbeard posted:

If you haven't seen Invasion you should probably go for that I guess, though personally I'm a little more partial to The Moonbase.

docbeard posted:

not sure about Six, Seven or Eight yet

For Sixie you probably can't go wrong with Legend of the Cybermen (Six, Jamie, Zoe, and the land of fiction), for Seven if you feel like dipping into the books instead there's Illegal Alien which sees Seven and Ace happening across the Cybermen in Blitz-ravaged London, and for Eight I'm rather fond of The Silver Turk.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Invasion for Troughton for sure.

For 8, I'm going to put this in spoiler tags for anybody else lucky enough not to already know, but check out the 8th Doctor Adventures story Human Resources. I can't recommend it highly enough.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

Invasion for Troughton for sure.

For 8, I'm going to put this in spoiler tags for anybody else lucky enough not to already know, but check out the 8th Doctor Adventures story Human Resources. I can't recommend it highly enough.

Man, stuff like that is such a pain to recommend. It's like when people want a good Master story and you want to recomend UNIT: Dominion but you can't without giving it away.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

For 11, why not do Time Of The Doctor. It isn't really a Cybermen story but come on, it has Handles :3:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

2house2fly posted:

For 11, why not do Time Of The Doctor. It isn't really a Cybermen story but come on, it has Handles :3:

Aww Handles. Truly the best of us. Who said Moffat doesn't kill companions? :smith:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4k_gVm5RFs

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

The_Doctor posted:

Aww Handles. Truly the best of us. Who said Moffat doesn't kill companions? :smith:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4k_gVm5RFs
We were incapable of comprehending his greatness so he had to be removed before we went mad from the revelation

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

docbeard posted:

not sure about Six yet
Attack of the Cybermen is one of the better (televised) Six stories, which really isn't saying much.

JessKay
Oct 16, 2011

It's a shame it's basically unusable in several contexts due to being a huge spoiler, but I just saw someone refer to this last episode as Spare Potts and I love it.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Yo real talk. What are the chances of us seeing the next who in five days?

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

Lampsacus posted:

Yo real talk. What are the chances of us seeing the next who in five days?

The next doctor? 0% - that'll be at Christmas.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Plavski posted:

The next doctor? 0% - that'll be at Christmas.

Somebody's clearly forgetting the first nuWho regeneration.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Attack of the Cybermen is one of the better (televised) Six stories, which really isn't saying much.

The fact you're right is very depressing.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

They'd have made an announcement as to the casting if they were going to reveal it this Saturday, I think. They'll announce soon and the new actor will appear in the Christmas special.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I'm honestly hoping we do find out on Saturday, but purely as a surprise. Imagine the coup that would be. :allears:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

The_Doctor posted:

I'm honestly hoping we do find out on Saturday, but purely as a surprise. Imagine the coup that would be. :allears:

Would make up for the lovely spoilers in the trailer for the most recent episode.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

It would be awesome if that were the case, definitely.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Fil5000 posted:

For 7 I'd go with The Harvest. It's probably one of my favourite 7 stories overall. Silver Nemesis could be pretty much any Who villain in it, they don't really do anything particularly Cybermanny, so I wouldn't bother.

Silver Nemesis was actually the first Doctor Who episode I ever saw, as a young'n. For some reason, I kept watching.

Good call on The Harvest, I've listened to it before but it's been a while and I really liked it.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I'll probably go with this for Six, since I'm doing audios for Five, Seven, and Eight. Though I'm definitely intrigued by Legend and will go back and check it out sometime.

Jerusalem posted:

I think I knew about this one already, but I've never heard it, and I'm leaning toward it. (But I've also not listened to The Girl Who Never Was, and I've heard most of the other Eight-Charley stories. Eh, another time.)

2house2fly posted:

I love Time Of The Doctor and I guess it has those wooden Cybermen in too, but ultimately it's been longer since I've seen Closing Time. Tempting to do a run of the regeneration stories next, mind.

Anyway, thanks everyone for your suggestions.

Looks like my choices are:
The Tenth Planet
The Invasion
The Blue Tooth
Revenge of the Cybermen
Spare Parts
Attack Of The Cybermen
The Harvest
Human Resources
Dalek
The Next Doctor
Closing Time
Dark Water/Death In Heaven

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The Moonbase really is a pretty good one too. I never got to see the Wheel in Space though

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Burkion posted:

The Moonbase really is a pretty good one too. I never got to see the Wheel in Space though

There is honestly a lot from the Troughton era I need to go back and see (to the extent that it's possible).

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

docbeard posted:

I love Time Of The Doctor and I guess it has those wooden Cybermen in too, but ultimately it's been longer since I've seen Closing Time. Tempting to do a run of the regeneration stories next, mind.

I actually kind of want to watch the Craig stories back to back now. They might be some of my favourite non-Moffat episodes

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

How many TV Cybermen stories do they actually convert people in, incidentally? I've not see much pre Pertwee, but from some Wikipedia reading it looks like Tomb, Attack and the post revival ones are about it.

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS

Bicyclops posted:

They'd have made an announcement as to the casting if they were going to reveal it this Saturday, I think. They'll announce soon and the new actor will appear in the Christmas special.
Next Doctor is going to be played by Pearl Mackie and she's going to take that form as a reminder that the Master is irredeemable, and that promises should be kept. :v:

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Chiming in to agree, this episode was great. I wasn't always a fan of Simm as the Master, but he was great here.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

thrawn527 posted:

Chiming in to agree, this episode was great. I wasn't always a fan of Simm as the Master, but he was great here.

I thought Simm's performance was always about as good as possible given the material he had to work with. And this time he had excellent material instead of "lol give him magic rays".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

docbeard posted:

I thought Simm's performance was always about as good as possible given the material he had to work with. And this time he had excellent material instead of "lol give him magic rays".

This is true, but, and I never would have imagined this, I really enjoyed how RTD the "Prime Minister" line and delivery was. It felt...familiar, and comfortable.

• Locked thread