Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

I'm having fun drinking Zima for the Illuminati

It has carried me through to the Savage Coast

Can you join multiple cabals?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Phanatic posted:

Hrm, so this seems different and counterintuitive to me.

I'm still supposed to use two weapons, but I can't have more than one basic ability equipped at a time? So if I'm hammer/blade, I can either have Flowing Blade equipped so I can use my sword even if I'm out of blade energy, or I can have Smash equipped so I can hit something with my hammer even if I'm out hammer energy, but I can't have both equipped, which means I have no way to attack with one of my two weapons once I run out of energy with that weapon.

Am I missing something? Coming from TSW where you can build energy for both weapons with one attack, that seems backwards.

Correct because gently caress you as far as I can tell.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

"The greatest honor history can bestow is the title of peacemaker."

Capntastic posted:

I'm having fun drinking Zima for the Illuminati

It has carried me through to the Savage Coast

Can you join multiple cabals?

Cut your nails.

Cabals are one per character.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Phanatic posted:

Hrm, so this seems different and counterintuitive to me.

I'm still supposed to use two weapons, but I can't have more than one basic ability equipped at a time? So if I'm hammer/blade, I can either have Flowing Blade equipped so I can use my sword even if I'm out of blade energy, or I can have Smash equipped so I can hit something with my hammer even if I'm out hammer energy, but I can't have both equipped, which means I have no way to attack with one of my two weapons once I run out of energy with that weapon.

Am I missing something? Coming from TSW where you can build energy for both weapons with one attack, that seems backwards.

Basic attacks don't build energy so there's zero point in having two. If you had two you would be wasting a slot on a useless skill.

For both the weapons you mention basic attacks aren't for using when you are out of energy. For hammer, they are for topping off rage for a power attack. For blade they are for building chi or spirit blade usage. You shouldnt run out of energy that often on Blade (depending on weapon affix and skills). Same with Hammer if you build and spend efficiently.

Edit: Also, use Blade by itself, it needs all the active and passive slots. Hammer works well with a secondary though.

Saltpowered fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jun 27, 2017

Thern
Aug 12, 2006

Say Hello To My Little Friend
Can I get an invite to cabal on Thern? Thanks.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
the lack of synergy between different weapon passives is really funny considering we got two weapon slots

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Third World Reggin posted:

the lack of synergy between different weapon passives is really funny considering we got two weapon slots

Yeah two weapons is honestly pretty dumb. There's little reason for using the second one for anything other than +move speed and one AoE finisher or utility skill.

Marx
Oct 24, 2003

This was the greatest day of my life. Finally I could stand on my soapbox and tell you American scum that you got exactly what you deserved.
P.S. Sorry Osama that Americans were not compassionate enough to take you in peacefully. You deserved better.
Invite for Dorito, thanks in advance.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)
okay fine I GUESS

Invite to Cheston, please.

Yue
Jun 3, 2012

CUT, CUT, CUT! I said MORE prancing, damnit!
I don't know if I'm going to be able to keep playing, but invite Yue, please?

HotBobaloo
Jun 19, 2002
Can I get an invite on Varys please. I made a new guy, I feel like i was spreading myself too thin. I started as an assassin with the intention of going blade, shotgun, but went hammer instead. I decided I'm just going to go shotgun, hammer. Will the dps be there? The only thing I miss out on are the first 2 days of login awards right? I can still claim all weapons and costumes from TSW?

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

HotBobaloo posted:

Can I get an invite on Varys please. I made a new guy, I feel like i was spreading myself too thin. I started as an assassin with the intention of going blade, shotgun, but went hammer instead. I decided I'm just going to go shotgun, hammer. Will the dps be there? The only thing I miss out on are the first 2 days of login awards right? I can still claim all weapons and costumes from TSW?

You'll still have dps. I haven't seen the theorycrafting but you won't be gimped for story content.

You can claim all the stuff from TSW on alts.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

How is blade/shotgun for dps?

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

FUCK THE ISLE OF APPLES. FUCK THEM IN THEIR STUPID ASSES.
How do I interact with the first NPC (literally the first NPC in the game, the one you need to get a quest from when you wake up)?

I have pressed every button on the keyboard, but nothing interacts with her. I do not have a controller, do I need one?

Edit: No idea WTF was wrong. I deleted and remade the character and it worked fine.

Thursday Next fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jun 27, 2017

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

F by default. Make sure your reticle is over her as well.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Sedisp posted:

How is blade/shotgun for dps?

If you primary Blade you won't use Shotgun at all. I've posted about blade several times in this thread (even a full write-up on the previous page). Blade needs all active and passive slots.

Shotgun is pretty close to the same. You will rarely run out of energy because of Even and Odds and Shell salvage. You would use Blade for Soothing Spring and maybe Hurricane.

HotBobaloo posted:

Shotgun will be most of your abilities and damage. You're probably best off just using an AoE power attack and Avalanche out of Hammer. Shotgun is probably one of the highest damage weapons currently. Raging Shot and Pump Action with Even and Odds does huge damage.

Saltpowered fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Jun 27, 2017

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Does anyone know offhand if they tweaked some of the quests? When I did the Rolling Downhill quest in TSW, I caught up with the wendigo quick, blasted it dead, got the package. Doing the same quest in SWL, it had me chasing that drat thing around most of the coast before finally being able to kill it. More annoying as gently caress than anything.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

M_Sinistrari posted:

Does anyone know offhand if they tweaked some of the quests? When I did the Rolling Downhill quest in TSW, I caught up with the wendigo quick, blasted it dead, got the package. Doing the same quest in SWL, it had me chasing that drat thing around most of the coast before finally being able to kill it. More annoying as gently caress than anything.

Yeah a lot of quests are in different locations and have different scripting especially in Kingsmouth.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

here is a fun thing

I have only gone to argatha twice in 30 levels

and london twice

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

Lawlicaust posted:

Yeah two weapons is honestly pretty dumb. There's little reason for using the second one for anything other than +move speed and one AoE finisher or utility skill.

How I have taken to slotting them in this fashion for general deckbuilding.

LMB: Ranged Basic Attack
RMB: Ranged AOE Skill
Q: Support Skill
1: Damage Skill
2: Interrupt Skill
E: Elite Skill

So for Example my current setup is Fist/Rifle

LMB: Placed Shot
RMB: Full Auto
Q: Frenzied Wrath
1: Mangle
2: Eviscerate
E: Regenerate

I use ranged basic for single pulls. The Melee basic would be better for the melee resource generation but I use my rifle as a simple pull stick and 4 pack lawnmower. I set up this template because it was getting irritating on how to construct the deck without a format. I would also suggest that you make your elite or support skill heal/clear debuffs in some way. Makes longer fights like with Baumont easier to work with the better sustain as well as accidental pulls and overall garbage situations.

Also start posting weird/good gadgets as well as anyone with any dungeon weapons lets see some screenshots for those effects so we can find out what dungeons might be worth farming weapons on. Given that any weapon can be leveled up it would be a good idea to start seeing some of this poo poo.

Take my loving amazing protection gadget for instance. Along with the "So close to being useful" gadget.

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

More info on dungeon dropped weapons/talismans would be great, as there's virtually none out there. I can't even find word on if the drops vary by dungeon!

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
How do you get more energy? I'm always running out

Also am i blind or is there no help feature?

theblackw0lf fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Jun 27, 2017

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003
Does someone have recommendations on how to play trickster? Kinda lost with the whole Chaos thing.

Also is there a AP/SP reset? :(

Sjonkel
Jan 31, 2012
Agreed, liking trickster so far, but no idea what I'm doing, being brand new to SWL Also, since trickster uses pistols, will I be able to heal dungeons?

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

theblackw0lf posted:

How do you get more energy? I'm always running out

Also am i blind or is there no help feature?

You have to scrounge for it anywhere you can get it. In combat weapon resources generate at 1 per second and out of combat is 3 per second. Basically if you set up a skillset using the big pow abilities that cost 5 resources you can expect that you are gonna spend most of your long fights sitting there with your thumb up your rear end.

It should be noted that this has the makings of a newbie trap all over it. When people see the big numbers they slot that poo poo and call it amazing but fail to think about how much opportunity there is gonna be present to blast it.

If the weapon you are using is of the Damage role your best bet is to use your "Role Cheap" 3 cost slot ability. You will be able to fire it off 5 times before going broke as opposed to 3 times and going broke with your normal "Main Damage" 5 cost skill. If it is not a damage type role weapon then you can check your wild card or support slot skills for abilities that give your resources like the Guns reload abilities.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

that seems pretty right which is rare for a drinkfist post

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

How is this bug still a thing? Also some coats keep disappearing every time I go through a transition, other coats become stuck and I can't get them off without relogging.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Amante posted:

More info on dungeon dropped weapons/talismans would be great, as there's virtually none out there. I can't even find word on if the drops vary by dungeon!

Some are shared and some vary. There's very little info because the rateam is so low that many items weren't even seen in beta.

Polaris drops necks, waists, and weapons. The waists are reduced or increased threat. Necks are + healing, damage, damage reduction for AoE I believe. Weapons are different but are generally related to the special mechanic (Blade has a chance to generate extra Chi).

Hell Fallen has the necks shared. There's also a Head Talismam. I've only ever seen the healing one. Not sure about the Hell weapons or waists.

Darkness War has waists that increase movement speed based on taking damage, healing damage, receiving damage.

The later dungeons didn't really get enough play in beta to have anything close to comprehensive loot lists. That's what happens when you have no xp for subsequent runs + the key system. No one runs them.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Yeah outside of Shotgun and Pistol, that's probably the best way to build. Second weapon is generally filling the AoE attack and/or support function.

Regarding gadgets, the best one I found in beta was a targeted charge that stunned. Definitely great for most melee builds. All the damage ones are so weak that they are useless. Yes, when I'm doing 1k a hit, I want that 12 damage per second for 5 seconds.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.
4 blade drops so far, dozens of hammers and shotguns for some reason. None of the blades i've seen have been the dps version, so my post-fusion blade is the healing one. Which is okay for soloing I guess, albeit that's most of what the game is now with dungeons being facerolls (I soloed the last boss in polaris after the two people I was with died in the first transition/hide behind the rocks phase).

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

PST posted:

4 blade drops so far, dozens of hammers and shotguns for some reason. None of the blades i've seen have been the dps version, so my post-fusion blade is the healing one. Which is okay for soloing I guess, albeit that's most of what the game is now with dungeons being facerolls (I soloed the last boss in polaris after the two people I was with died in the first transition/hide behind the rocks phase).

I've gotten the exact opposite as a shotgun/hammer user.

Drinkfist posted:

You have to scrounge for it anywhere you can get it. In combat weapon resources generate at 1 per second and out of combat is 3 per second. Basically if you set up a skillset using the big pow abilities that cost 5 resources you can expect that you are gonna spend most of your long fights sitting there with your thumb up your rear end.

It should be noted that this has the makings of a newbie trap all over it. When people see the big numbers they slot that poo poo and call it amazing but fail to think about how much opportunity there is gonna be present to blast it.

If the weapon you are using is of the Damage role your best bet is to use your "Role Cheap" 3 cost slot ability. You will be able to fire it off 5 times before going broke as opposed to 3 times and going broke with your normal "Main Damage" 5 cost skill. If it is not a damage type role weapon then you can check your wild card or support slot skills for abilities that give your resources like the Guns reload abilities.

OTOH, for just basic soloing, I can fire off 3 of my primary heavy and 1 of my secondary heavy and so far that's been good enough to just about kill any single mob. Minibosses get my damage elite and generally die before I get to the sticking my thumb up my butt stage.

I've got an aoe from my primary and an aoe from my secondary to rotate between for groups of mobs.

I'm not that far into the game and prefer to tank/heal in dungeons, though, so don't take my word for anything.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

Exchange is being enabled tomorrow maybe.

crawlkill
Feb 20, 2014
there's a load screen tooltip that says you generate an energy when you crit, so the filler/basic ability is still sssort of an unreliable builder. big bummer how slow secondary resource generates, though.

playing story mode dungeons as Shotgun/Blood my blood abilities are--uh, game's patching, can't see their actual names, New Cardiac Arrest Stun, Ult That Does a Lot of Damage over Six Seconds and ShieldHeal. so not really anything that fits in a rotation so much as big cooldowns and an emergency spot heal. that feels okay so far, but wouldn't mind equal energy regen, or maybe just one basic ability for both weapons and an extra slot for a real skill. s a big shift from being equally proficient with either toy.

if anyone else had been wondering, you can definitely pull items out of bags already leveled up to blue. I've scored two so far, having just cleared Savage Coast last night.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003
launcher takes an hour to download 60MB, then the login doesn't work. Great start

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

BabyFur Denny posted:

launcher takes an hour to download 60MB, then the login doesn't work. Great start

Glad it's not just me. Well not glad. The other thing. Pissed.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

Richard M Nixon posted:

Cut your nails.

What're you, a templar?

It would be neat if there was more loot. Most distillates I get from dungeons are only 250xp and a random weapon is 100 (250 if it matches) so gettin an item drop and a chance of a 3 pip item or a cool special effect is more interesting than a fungible ball of item XP. And, as always: dungeons should give XP.

Edit: You can get two item bags from like "kill 6 wisps" type mini-mission and that is a minimum of 200 item XP and a few thousand actual character XP.

Capntastic fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jun 27, 2017

crawlkill
Feb 20, 2014

Morglon posted:

Glad it's not just me. Well not glad. The other thing. Pissed.

just saw a Facebook comment from someone asking how big the installer was, she'd already downloaded 128 gig and was anxious to get going

game's only 60 gig

seem to be a few snafulings in the system, but such is launch

Capntastic posted:

It would be neat if there was more loot. Most distillates I get from dungeons are only 250xp and a random weapon is 100 (250 if it matches) so gettin an item drop and a chance of a 3 pip item or a cool special effect is more interesting than a fungible ball of item XP. And, as always: dungeons should give XP.

dungeons should give xp, they used to, not sure why they don't anymore

I still think that the permanence of items is such that it's fine that they're rare, we've been playing the game for like four days and are in the opening hours. in any other game we'd have no interesting items at all by this point, and conversely if interesting items dropped now there'd be no sense that items got more interesting as content level went up, because anything we pull now could potentially be leveled up to be as good as poo poo that we could get later.

if after a month of endgame play items still feel rare, I may tunechange, but I suspect you'll see your stock of items you like gradually snowball, since once you get one you can keep it at your side forever.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

crawlkill posted:

if after a month of endgame play items still feel rare, I may tunechange, but I suspect you'll see your stock of items you like gradually snowball, since once you get one you can keep it at your side forever.

No, you really won't. Your best chance of getting the item you want is to buy it on the AH.

Why's that you ask?

Because even if you manage to get that Talisman you want, it's just 1 pip. So now you get to try 50 more times to try and get a 3 pip version. Or spend 15 bucks making it 3 pips.

Weapons are even worse. Yay, the weapon dropped, but it's 1 pip and of restoration. Yay the weapon dropped and it's of Energy but 1 pip. Etc.

The system is an awful grindy mess that is designed to push people to buy the 1 to 3 pip upgrade because the chance of your less than 5% chance of loot actually giving you the right affix and light level is exponentially smaller.

The system would be bad enough if you had to buy the keys to have more chances to loot, or if you had to open caches to reasonably get beyond purple (or even loving level purple items), or if you had to buy the upgrade items to turn 1 pip to 3. But having all three methods of monetization exist is ridiculous.

They took the shotgun approach and monetized literally everything hoping something would stick. And the sub doesn't even remove the restrictions or improve things in a meaningful way. You can enjoy the game for what it is (many of us are) and hope for change but there's no reason to lie to yourself or everyone else. The Monetization is mobile game/gpotato levels of bad.

crawlkill
Feb 20, 2014

Lawlicaust posted:

No, you really won't. Your best chance of getting the item you want is to buy it on the AH.

Is it a major problem if the auctionhouse mediates your progress? You pull out a 3-pip weapon someone's going to want, hawk that for marks of friendship, swap those for aurum and save 2500 for an upgrade token on the item you actually want, or to directly buy the three-pip item you want off the tradehouse, if that works out to be cheaper. How often did you really farm the signet you wanted out of lairs? You lucked out and traded then, too.

You sound like you played in the old days--I kind of liked that there was this ceiling of gear-tuning I could inch toward when I occasionally felt like coming back to TSW for a week or two (as compared to, like, Warcraft, where if you leave for three months the ceiling will have ballooned up above you). Gradually farming random items to sell and in turn buy upgrades with isn't that different from gradually farming black bullion, back in the days when that was more gated.

It does all turn on the market not being volatile and awful, though, which might be hard, yeah.

edit: two more thoughts occur to me:

1. I wasn't that worried about the real-money auctionhouse in Diablo 3 but it really did screw the way items dropped, so I have a track record of blithe optimism when it comes to systems I haven't interacted with yet

2. the original TSW wasn't really drop-happy either, and in some sense they've just shifted the custom item economy over into being run by the players instead of NPC vendors; this could be a disaster, ofc, but structurally earning marks to earn upgrades with the possibility of a drop you want is more "this boss might possibly have a fun object inside it" than oldTSW was, not less

of course the point could be made that Legends' drop system should be considered in a wider context, not just in comparison to the "I almost never care about what's in a boss' pocketses" of TSW

crawlkill fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jun 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

Give me weapon skins you loving ingrates

Edit: Funcom are the ingrates, to be clear. Also I got an email about it being Anarchy Online's 16th birthday. Wow!!

Capntastic fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jun 27, 2017